Pokémon Nicknames
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Do you nickname your Pokémon? If so, what names have you given and what's the reason for that name, if any? If not, how come? Are you like me and simply just don't want to commit to nicknaming every Pokémon you find because you feel like once you give a name to one you have to give a name to them all? Maybe you're just bad with nicknames (also me)? Do you only nickname those that make up your active team and leave the rest as default?

I also wonder if you folks would be interested in collectively trying to nickname every Pokémon? Or at least every evolutionary line since generally a nickname stays with a Pokémon throughout all of its evolutions. I think it's a neat idea but I don't know how much it interests anyone else here. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Do you nickname your Pokémon? If so, what names have you given and what's the reason for that name, if any? If not, how come? Are you like me and simply just don't want to commit to nicknaming every Pokémon you find because you feel like once you give a name to one you have to give a name to them all? Maybe you're just bad with nicknames (also me)? Do you only nickname those that make up your active team and leave the rest as default?

I also wonder if you folks would be interested in collectively trying to nickname every Pokémon? Or at least every evolutionary line since generally a nickname stays with a Pokémon throughout all of its evolutions. I think it's a neat idea but I don't know how much it interests anyone else here. Tongue
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I hate giving my Pokemon nicknames and I'm very happy that there's a setting in the options of Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl that lets you turn off giving nicknames so that you don't get the game asking you every time you catch a Pokemon.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I hate giving my Pokemon nicknames and I'm very happy that there's a setting in the options of Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl that lets you turn off giving nicknames so that you don't get the game asking you every time you catch a Pokemon.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I fluctuate between everything on all the games: I go from no names period, to some names on ones that have names come to mind, to a full cast of names (and depending on what age I was, would either be full of anime characters or presently have silly dumb names).

During my current Brilliant Diamond playthrough, I'm trying to match what I can recall of my original names for my Pokemon in Diamond: I had a Staraptor named Sasuke, a Luxray named Sparky, and... actually that's all I could remember. I do remember Sasuke the most cuz he was the MVP of my team.
Now the rest of the names are whatever silly name comes to mind. I caught a female Abra and named her Marjorie. My Buizel is named Daxter. Oh and my starter Chimchar is Monke. ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I fluctuate between everything on all the games: I go from no names period, to some names on ones that have names come to mind, to a full cast of names (and depending on what age I was, would either be full of anime characters or presently have silly dumb names).

During my current Brilliant Diamond playthrough, I'm trying to match what I can recall of my original names for my Pokemon in Diamond: I had a Staraptor named Sasuke, a Luxray named Sparky, and... actually that's all I could remember. I do remember Sasuke the most cuz he was the MVP of my team.
Now the rest of the names are whatever silly name comes to mind. I caught a female Abra and named her Marjorie. My Buizel is named Daxter. Oh and my starter Chimchar is Monke. ROFL
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oh I always try to nickname every Pokemon cause I kinda feel like its like having a pet named whatever species they are like.

A dog named dog
A cat named cat

But of course everyone has their preference and it probably doesn't help you learn the actual species names. I really loved how in Black & White they actually acknowledged the nickname you gave to your Pokemon I remember that Bianca will call your Pokemon by it nickname, but after that I sadly never seen it happen again. Sad
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Oh I always try to nickname every Pokemon cause I kinda feel like its like having a pet named whatever species they are like.

A dog named dog
A cat named cat

But of course everyone has their preference and it probably doesn't help you learn the actual species names. I really loved how in Black & White they actually acknowledged the nickname you gave to your Pokemon I remember that Bianca will call your Pokemon by it nickname, but after that I sadly never seen it happen again. Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jan 4th, 2022, 05:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
This is probably how I'd name most of my Pokémon. If they resemble something else I'd call it by that name, otherwise it would be whatever comes to mind. Voltorb for example my immediate thought it calling it Buzzball. ROFL

@Karo: Do you remember any of the nicknames you've given?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jan 4th, 2022, 05:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
This is probably how I'd name most of my Pokémon. If they resemble something else I'd call it by that name, otherwise it would be whatever comes to mind. Voltorb for example my immediate thought it calling it Buzzball. ROFL

@Karo: Do you remember any of the nicknames you've given?
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The only ones I remember naming are my Simipour in White to Ginipour after Gin Ichimaru because of it's expression and animation of what looks like waving being similar to Gin's. Purely for that reason that Pokémon has become my favourite (not the nickname though). Then the Arcanine in Shield I named after Sadaharu from Gintama, because my character was named after Kagura, the main female character from the same series as Sadaharu is her...pet, yes. XD

I may have given other nicknames but don't remember what they are or if they're based on anything else in particular, but know I don't usually nickname my Pokémon. I just simply don't the feel need to. *shrugs*
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The only ones I remember naming are my Simipour in White to Ginipour after Gin Ichimaru because of it's expression and animation of what looks like waving being similar to Gin's. Purely for that reason that Pokémon has become my favourite (not the nickname though). Then the Arcanine in Shield I named after Sadaharu from Gintama, because my character was named after Kagura, the main female character from the same series as Sadaharu is her...pet, yes. XD

I may have given other nicknames but don't remember what they are or if they're based on anything else in particular, but know I don't usually nickname my Pokémon. I just simply don't the feel need to. *shrugs*
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Thinking on it, I didn't really starting nicknaming my Pokemon til much later games. I may have nicknamed one or two in the early titles but I mostly just kept them as is. Not sure what made me change my mind honestly XD
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Thinking on it, I didn't really starting nicknaming my Pokemon til much later games. I may have nicknamed one or two in the early titles but I mostly just kept them as is. Not sure what made me change my mind honestly XD
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I nickname most of my Pokemon I could pull up Pokemon home to tell you, but I am feeling lazy right now and don't want to get my phone. Grin
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I nickname most of my Pokemon I could pull up Pokemon home to tell you, but I am feeling lazy right now and don't want to get my phone. Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Pokémon's Original Watercolor Art is Supposed to Look... Moonface 4 850 May 7th, 2023, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  What's Pokémon's Best Gimmick(s)? Moonface 2 850 Aug 8th, 2022, 10:50 PM
  Do You Have a (Least) Favorite Pokémon Type? Moonface 3 1,044 May 31st, 2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Pokémon Regions/Routes Moonface 7 4,217 Dec 3rd, 2021, 09:10 PM
  Which Villainous Team is Your Favorite in Pokemon? Moonface 9 2,523 Nov 9th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai