Mini-Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So, what are some of everyone's favourite or hated minigames?

One of the best I ever played has to be the Mesal Gear Solid minigame in Ape Escape 3. It's just got so much content in it compared to most minigames, and it gave me a decent idea of what the general basis of gameplay is like in the actual Metal Gear Solid games.

Devil Within is also another example of a minigame that's big enough to feel almost like a shorter version of a full game. I actually really liked the format it went for instead of the usual Tekken Force style, until Tekken 6 decided to take that format and make more or less an entire game out of it with that god awful Scenario Mode. Finding all the Devil signs in that mode Devil Within was pretty challenging too.

Kung Foot in Rayman Legends is another great minigame and one of the best multiplayer based ones I've seen that isn't in a game focused on multiplayer minigames. I just wish the mode had online capabilities so that it could be enjoyed a lot more.

And a minigame I played last night that inspired me to remake this topic is the Chain Attack shooting game in The Evil Within 2. It's simple but I enjoyed it so much I wish Bethesda would port it onto mobile so I can play it more! Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So, what are some of everyone's favourite or hated minigames?

One of the best I ever played has to be the Mesal Gear Solid minigame in Ape Escape 3. It's just got so much content in it compared to most minigames, and it gave me a decent idea of what the general basis of gameplay is like in the actual Metal Gear Solid games.

Devil Within is also another example of a minigame that's big enough to feel almost like a shorter version of a full game. I actually really liked the format it went for instead of the usual Tekken Force style, until Tekken 6 decided to take that format and make more or less an entire game out of it with that god awful Scenario Mode. Finding all the Devil signs in that mode Devil Within was pretty challenging too.

Kung Foot in Rayman Legends is another great minigame and one of the best multiplayer based ones I've seen that isn't in a game focused on multiplayer minigames. I just wish the mode had online capabilities so that it could be enjoyed a lot more.

And a minigame I played last night that inspired me to remake this topic is the Chain Attack shooting game in The Evil Within 2. It's simple but I enjoyed it so much I wish Bethesda would port it onto mobile so I can play it more! Tongue
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Definitely one of my most hated is Devil May Cry 4, where you have to do this stupid board game in order to advance. You even have to smash a die in order to find out how many spaces you can move. It's just a time waster because there's only one path on the board you can take! Why is it even there?! And you do it multiple times! WHY?! And it's not like it's thematically relevant to the rest of the game; it doesn't take place in a carnival or anything of the sort. Hell, Dante, when he first sees it, just has a cutscene where he destroys the die, and the game lets you advance uninterrupted! FFS!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Definitely one of my most hated is Devil May Cry 4, where you have to do this stupid board game in order to advance. You even have to smash a die in order to find out how many spaces you can move. It's just a time waster because there's only one path on the board you can take! Why is it even there?! And you do it multiple times! WHY?! And it's not like it's thematically relevant to the rest of the game; it doesn't take place in a carnival or anything of the sort. Hell, Dante, when he first sees it, just has a cutscene where he destroys the die, and the game lets you advance uninterrupted! FFS!
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Best minigame: the slot machines from Gen 1 and 2 pokemon, it actually took some skill (and when I realized what slots were like IRL disappointed, I dont actually gamble but I tried some slot apps and was disappointed), or the Wolf3D game in Wolfenstein II: TNC

If minigames are a choice you can choose to do or not I don't mind them but when they are forced down you in games I find them annoying and often frustrated as it is tied to game progression. I do not want to play Superman 64 in Just Cause 3 (which has a minigame where to upgrade weapons/skills/etc) one of which is you using the flight suit to fly though rings.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Best minigame: the slot machines from Gen 1 and 2 pokemon, it actually took some skill (and when I realized what slots were like IRL disappointed, I dont actually gamble but I tried some slot apps and was disappointed), or the Wolf3D game in Wolfenstein II: TNC

If minigames are a choice you can choose to do or not I don't mind them but when they are forced down you in games I find them annoying and often frustrated as it is tied to game progression. I do not want to play Superman 64 in Just Cause 3 (which has a minigame where to upgrade weapons/skills/etc) one of which is you using the flight suit to fly though rings.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
One of my favorite mini-games in any game is Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII. It's one of the two things in that trash game that are actually good (the other being the soundtrack). Unfortunately they weren't able to repeat that in Final Fantasy IX. Tetra Master just isn't as good as Triple Triad. The BLADE card mini-game from the Trails of Cold Steel games and Tokyo Xanadu is pretty fun as well.

Speaking of Final Fantasy IX, that's where one of my most hated mini-games resides. The Jump Rope mini-game in FFIX is so. fucking. terrible. And then they had to go and make a trophy for successfully jumping 1,000 times in a row.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
One of my favorite mini-games in any game is Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII. It's one of the two things in that trash game that are actually good (the other being the soundtrack). Unfortunately they weren't able to repeat that in Final Fantasy IX. Tetra Master just isn't as good as Triple Triad. The BLADE card mini-game from the Trails of Cold Steel games and Tokyo Xanadu is pretty fun as well.

Speaking of Final Fantasy IX, that's where one of my most hated mini-games resides. The Jump Rope mini-game in FFIX is so. fucking. terrible. And then they had to go and make a trophy for successfully jumping 1,000 times in a row.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
If the Contests in Pokémon count as mini-games, then it's safe to say I hated those the most. I'm also not a huge fan of fishing for prizes in Link's Awakening DX.

I don't think I have a favorite, actually.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
If the Contests in Pokémon count as mini-games, then it's safe to say I hated those the most. I'm also not a huge fan of fishing for prizes in Link's Awakening DX.

I don't think I have a favorite, actually.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232
Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
Triple Triad in FFVIII (and less so IX) were a lot of fun. In terms of Final Fantasy titles though, my favourite minigame has to be FFX's Blitzball. I spent so much time playing it back on the PS2, it was the main reason my save file was over 400 hours; probably 350 were from Blitzball. X-2's version was pretty disappointing in comparison.

I also disliked the sphere minigame in X-2, it felt a little too luck-based for me.

Also, a special mention for the Danganronpa titles and their after-story modes. I don't think they're technically considered minigames though.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232 Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
Triple Triad in FFVIII (and less so IX) were a lot of fun. In terms of Final Fantasy titles though, my favourite minigame has to be FFX's Blitzball. I spent so much time playing it back on the PS2, it was the main reason my save file was over 400 hours; probably 350 were from Blitzball. X-2's version was pretty disappointing in comparison.

I also disliked the sphere minigame in X-2, it felt a little too luck-based for me.

Also, a special mention for the Danganronpa titles and their after-story modes. I don't think they're technically considered minigames though.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Blitzball is fun until you get to end game, sign all of the best players, and win every game 20-0. Whistle
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Blitzball is fun until you get to end game, sign all of the best players, and win every game 20-0. Whistle
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
One of my favorite mini games was Arcomage from Might & Magic. It was a nice little game, and I bet most of You recall this game (or one of its clones).

The card game in Evoland 2 was pretty great too, though a little glitched.

I did hear about Triple Triad, but I never had a chance to play it.

What mini games I hated? The ones from Mega Man Battle Network 4 and 5...
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
One of my favorite mini games was Arcomage from Might & Magic. It was a nice little game, and I bet most of You recall this game (or one of its clones).

The card game in Evoland 2 was pretty great too, though a little glitched.

I did hear about Triple Triad, but I never had a chance to play it.

What mini games I hated? The ones from Mega Man Battle Network 4 and 5...
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My favorite mini games are as follows;

Final Fantasy 7:
Chocobo breading
Chocobo racing

Final Fatasy 9
Chocobo hot & cold
Card game: Tetra master

Skylander's series: Skystone smash.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Bombchu bowling.
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap: Kinstone collecting/merging.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My favorite mini games are as follows;

Final Fantasy 7:
Chocobo breading
Chocobo racing

Final Fatasy 9
Chocobo hot & cold
Card game: Tetra master

Skylander's series: Skystone smash.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Bombchu bowling.
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap: Kinstone collecting/merging.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,113 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 91 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 725 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 300 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng