Vintage Eric | You can't get rid of me so call me like a hemorrhoid
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 12th, 2023, 04:17 AM)Eric Wrote:
(Jul 11th, 2023, 12:48 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Well at least you didn't forget about us! Tongue I always do find it funny though when someone is entirely off the radar for months on end and then comes stumbling through the front door out of the blue. For some reason my mind always imagines it as if one of those rare guest characters shows up on a TV show and the crowd cheers for it. XD

lmao that's a hilarious image. May I be bumped up to series regular? Unsure 
Absolutely. ^_^

I'm surprised to hear ZT hasn't really had that sort of thing done for it, since I always assumed it was a pretty popular game and would attract a lot of modders. Then again maybe the scene has died down over time and an API wasn't a consideration when the scene was bigger or something? Unsure

Yeah sadly at 22 years old, the game has all but lost its modding scene, but there are still a few holdouts. My hopes are that if we are ever able to pull this project off, it'll renew interest and we'd see more activity again. Hell, the API alone I'd hope would inject some life into it, but I don't know. Not too many programmers in the scene really, mostly artists. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 is an interesting parallel that has a similar age. OpenRCT2 has a flourishing modding community these days so I have hope. We'll see!
There's a chance. Earlier this year Jak & Daxter was decompiled for PC which opened up the way for modding the game heavily, to the point of even making custom level content for it, and that scene has been seeing growth despite the game never having modding before and being from like, 2001.

Aren't you a programmer these days? Maybe you'd like to learn some reverse engineering? Tongue Join the dark side Moony. Let's see the dark side of the moon. (lmfao...I deleted this twice but no no, it is staying...)
Nah, the most I've ever coded is themes. I have no knowledge of anything beyond that. I may have to forcefully learn about php though as our host plans to move us onto php8.4 in a week and I think most if not all of the plugins this board uses are still running on php7 and the creators haven't updated them yet. My choice is to either figure out how to fix any of the errors they will cause or disable them all until the creators update them, and I'm not really keen on doing the latter.

Is the growing trend of AI usage something that could pose a problem for you in your field, or is whatever aspect of Computer Science you hope to get a job in pretty safe from that trash?
I'm actually not too sure what industry I want to get into yet. Lately I've clearly been flirting with game dev, but I'm also doing computer science research over the summer and some web dev projects. I'm kind of all over the place. AI is definitely a concern and something that might influence where I end up going. For example, my reverse engineering might have interesting career prospects in malware analysis or embedded systems (firmware developers), but it I'm not sure either option sounds too attractive yet. Both I think might be safe from AI for now...but are any of us really? lol'

There's also the question of whether AI as we know it (ChatGPT, etc) is good enough to be a production-ready on its own. Sure companies are experimenting right now to see what all they can get away with, but time will tell.
The best usage I've seen of AI is giving it mundane tasks to do that involve a lot of repetition. I think a recent animated movie did that by giving AI all of the tasks that were just animating things that were very basic and used widely throughout the film while the animators focused on doing the unique and more complex tasks, which allowed the movie to be produced at a more comfortable rate and didn't take away anyone's job since all it did was just automate a menial task the animators would have had to do alongside everything else they worked on. I just can't remember the movie. Hmm

Also, I know it came up in the "When Was The Last Time You..." thread but since it fits better here, I uploaded the most notable screenshots I have saved from that Minecraft server we played on together: https://imgur.com/a/1Rudypy
It was on a custom map but I don't recall what that map was, and I only remembered that fact from the final screenshot that is very clearly not standard Minecraft terrain generation. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Well at least you didn't forget about us! Tongue I always do find it funny though when someone is entirely off the radar for months on end and then comes stumbling through the front door out of the blue. For some reason my mind always imagines it as if one of those rare guest characters shows up on a TV show and the crowd cheers for it. XD

lmao that's a hilarious image. May I be bumped up to series regular? Unsure 
Absolutely. ^_^

I'm surprised to hear ZT hasn't really had that sort of thing done for it, since I always assumed it was a pretty popular game and would attract a lot of modders. Then again maybe the scene has died down over time and an API wasn't a consideration when the scene was bigger or something? Unsure

Yeah sadly at 22 years old, the game has all but lost its modding scene, but there are still a few holdouts. My hopes are that if we are ever able to pull this project off, it'll renew interest and we'd see more activity again. Hell, the API alone I'd hope would inject some life into it, but I don't know. Not too many programmers in the scene really, mostly artists. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 is an interesting parallel that has a similar age. OpenRCT2 has a flourishing modding community these days so I have hope. We'll see!
There's a chance. Earlier this year Jak & Daxter was decompiled for PC which opened up the way for modding the game heavily, to the point of even making custom level content for it, and that scene has been seeing growth despite the game never having modding before and being from like, 2001.

Aren't you a programmer these days? Maybe you'd like to learn some reverse engineering? Tongue Join the dark side Moony. Let's see the dark side of the moon. (lmfao...I deleted this twice but no no, it is staying...)
Nah, the most I've ever coded is themes. I have no knowledge of anything beyond that. I may have to forcefully learn about php though as our host plans to move us onto php8.4 in a week and I think most if not all of the plugins this board uses are still running on php7 and the creators haven't updated them yet. My choice is to either figure out how to fix any of the errors they will cause or disable them all until the creators update them, and I'm not really keen on doing the latter.

Is the growing trend of AI usage something that could pose a problem for you in your field, or is whatever aspect of Computer Science you hope to get a job in pretty safe from that trash?
I'm actually not too sure what industry I want to get into yet. Lately I've clearly been flirting with game dev, but I'm also doing computer science research over the summer and some web dev projects. I'm kind of all over the place. AI is definitely a concern and something that might influence where I end up going. For example, my reverse engineering might have interesting career prospects in malware analysis or embedded systems (firmware developers), but it I'm not sure either option sounds too attractive yet. Both I think might be safe from AI for now...but are any of us really? lol'

There's also the question of whether AI as we know it (ChatGPT, etc) is good enough to be a production-ready on its own. Sure companies are experimenting right now to see what all they can get away with, but time will tell.
The best usage I've seen of AI is giving it mundane tasks to do that involve a lot of repetition. I think a recent animated movie did that by giving AI all of the tasks that were just animating things that were very basic and used widely throughout the film while the animators focused on doing the unique and more complex tasks, which allowed the movie to be produced at a more comfortable rate and didn't take away anyone's job since all it did was just automate a menial task the animators would have had to do alongside everything else they worked on. I just can't remember the movie. Hmm

Also, I know it came up in the "When Was The Last Time You..." thread but since it fits better here, I uploaded the most notable screenshots I have saved from that Minecraft server we played on together: https://imgur.com/a/1Rudypy
It was on a custom map but I don't recall what that map was, and I only remembered that fact from the final screenshot that is very clearly not standard Minecraft terrain generation. Tongue