Controller Shortages Incoming?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Microsoft has confirmed a shortage of Xbox controllers, with the issue affecting stock in multiple countries including the UK, Australia, France, the Netherlands and Germany. Microsoft stated that the issue has been caused by supply disruptions, so presumably a particular part is running short similar to how console manufacturing has been struggling for a while due to chip shortages. I've not managed to find out if Microsoft have shared what supply in particular they're running short on to produce controllers.

Third party sellers have naturally already begun to jump on the opportunity, raising the prices of Xbox controllers to double the price on Amazon. I won't be shocked to start seeing people trying to scalp any remaining in-stock controllers in the hopes of making a quick buck off them, although I think someone would be a real fool to fork over money to any of these sellers just for a controller. If I owned an Xbox controller and it stopped working I'd rather spend every waking moment trying to fix it myself with YouTube videos or pay someone to fix it for me which would surely work out cheaper than spending 2x the RSP for a new controller. XD

Luckily I don't have a need, desire or means to buy more controllers of any sort right now, but I'd love to know what the specific thing is Microsoft are having supply issues with to tell whether the problem could start to affect PlayStation and Nintendo, or even start extending to PC peripherals at all. Hmm
Jeez, imagine if console supplies started to get better all of a sudden but we still see shortages on them because the companies can't get a controller to put in the box. ROFL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Microsoft has confirmed a shortage of Xbox controllers, with the issue affecting stock in multiple countries including the UK, Australia, France, the Netherlands and Germany. Microsoft stated that the issue has been caused by supply disruptions, so presumably a particular part is running short similar to how console manufacturing has been struggling for a while due to chip shortages. I've not managed to find out if Microsoft have shared what supply in particular they're running short on to produce controllers.

Third party sellers have naturally already begun to jump on the opportunity, raising the prices of Xbox controllers to double the price on Amazon. I won't be shocked to start seeing people trying to scalp any remaining in-stock controllers in the hopes of making a quick buck off them, although I think someone would be a real fool to fork over money to any of these sellers just for a controller. If I owned an Xbox controller and it stopped working I'd rather spend every waking moment trying to fix it myself with YouTube videos or pay someone to fix it for me which would surely work out cheaper than spending 2x the RSP for a new controller. XD

Luckily I don't have a need, desire or means to buy more controllers of any sort right now, but I'd love to know what the specific thing is Microsoft are having supply issues with to tell whether the problem could start to affect PlayStation and Nintendo, or even start extending to PC peripherals at all. Hmm
Jeez, imagine if console supplies started to get better all of a sudden but we still see shortages on them because the companies can't get a controller to put in the box. ROFL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Geez, between the chip shortages and now parts for controllers going dry, when will this gimping of the industries end? Or is it our over-consumption causing this? Many factors indeed, oof.

Still, strange it only seems to apply to EU and AUS. Suppose it's a localized issue of production in this case Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Geez, between the chip shortages and now parts for controllers going dry, when will this gimping of the industries end? Or is it our over-consumption causing this? Many factors indeed, oof.

Still, strange it only seems to apply to EU and AUS. Suppose it's a localized issue of production in this case Hmm
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Well I know for the GPU shortage it was Crypto causing that shortage not entirely sure about whatever this shortage is caused by. I am kinda surprised that we are having a controller shortage for any company...I doubt they sell that many that there is this giant need for it. Considering you could also just bring your own controller to your friends house if you were planning to play locally?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Well I know for the GPU shortage it was Crypto causing that shortage not entirely sure about whatever this shortage is caused by. I am kinda surprised that we are having a controller shortage for any company...I doubt they sell that many that there is this giant need for it. Considering you could also just bring your own controller to your friends house if you were planning to play locally?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect it's more noticeable outside the US right now because all of those regions are smaller and will therefore have smaller stock amounts. I expect the issue will affect the US too, but we just haven't noticed it here ourselves yet because the scale of the country means it's harder to see stock run low. For example, I expect that somewhere like Walmart or GameStop would just shift units to stores that need them, whereas in the EU if a store is running low it can't just go grab stock from another EU country like how companies can do that across US states.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect it's more noticeable outside the US right now because all of those regions are smaller and will therefore have smaller stock amounts. I expect the issue will affect the US too, but we just haven't noticed it here ourselves yet because the scale of the country means it's harder to see stock run low. For example, I expect that somewhere like Walmart or GameStop would just shift units to stores that need them, whereas in the EU if a store is running low it can't just go grab stock from another EU country like how companies can do that across US states.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC Gaming - Mouse/Keyboard or Controller? Moonface 7 156 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,576 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  What’s the “Correct” Way to Hold an N64 Controller? Moonface 8 1,580 Oct 1st, 2022, 10:56 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Controller Batteries Moonface 2 2,402 Jun 4th, 2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord