Where in the Game #1 | Winner: ShiraNoMai
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
U N I V E R S A L G A M I N G ' S
WHERE IN THE GAME #1

As I mentioned in our most recent Where in the World contest, I wanted to try out an alternative to it where I instead use a scene from a video game and you have to figure out where in the game I am.

How It Works
  • The location will be within a specific level of the specified game. In the case of an open world game, the location would be the specific named area that I am located in.

• You do not need to get the exact spot I am located in within the level. However, if anyone is able to figure out my exact position within a level I will award a bonus for that.

• Because you are just trying to guess the level I am in, there will likely be no yes/no questions that can narrow things down like in "Where in the World", as most if not all questions will just be guesses of my location instead. To give everyone a chance, I am limiting the number of guesses per day to 3 per member. I am not going to put a time limit between the 3 guesses.

• I may make adjustments to the game if necessary. I am not currently sure how I will handle points at the end of a round but I have a few approaches in mind; however, I am open to any suggestions.

So for my first gaming vacation, I decided to take a trip to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but where in the game am I exactly?

[Image: HsOOtN2.png]
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
U N I V E R S A L G A M I N G ' S
WHERE IN THE GAME #1

As I mentioned in our most recent Where in the World contest, I wanted to try out an alternative to it where I instead use a scene from a video game and you have to figure out where in the game I am.

How It Works
  • The location will be within a specific level of the specified game. In the case of an open world game, the location would be the specific named area that I am located in.

• You do not need to get the exact spot I am located in within the level. However, if anyone is able to figure out my exact position within a level I will award a bonus for that.

• Because you are just trying to guess the level I am in, there will likely be no yes/no questions that can narrow things down like in "Where in the World", as most if not all questions will just be guesses of my location instead. To give everyone a chance, I am limiting the number of guesses per day to 3 per member. I am not going to put a time limit between the 3 guesses.

• I may make adjustments to the game if necessary. I am not currently sure how I will handle points at the end of a round but I have a few approaches in mind; however, I am open to any suggestions.

So for my first gaming vacation, I decided to take a trip to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but where in the game am I exactly?

[Image: HsOOtN2.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Are you in the Lake Hylia area?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 24th, 2022, 03:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Well dang maybe I need to make my location harder to figure out. That is correct! Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 24th, 2022, 03:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Well dang maybe I need to make my location harder to figure out. That is correct! Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, I didn't want to be the person to immediately end the game, because I knew you were at the Lake Hylia House, too.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, I didn't want to be the person to immediately end the game, because I knew you were at the Lake Hylia House, too.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What in particular gave it away so fast? Is the house itself just very distinct to that area? I never played the original OoT so I thought my shot was going to make the house look similar to other buildings in the game besides the landscape behind it. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What in particular gave it away so fast? Is the house itself just very distinct to that area? I never played the original OoT so I thought my shot was going to make the house look similar to other buildings in the game besides the landscape behind it. XD
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The roof gave it away, combined with the uneven landscape. The number of places with buildings can be counted on one hand, and the number of places with grass and buildings is two (Kakariko Village and Lake Hylia). Kakariko Village is pretty much all level, so it defaults to Lake Hylia.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The roof gave it away, combined with the uneven landscape. The number of places with buildings can be counted on one hand, and the number of places with grass and buildings is two (Kakariko Village and Lake Hylia). Kakariko Village is pretty much all level, so it defaults to Lake Hylia.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Although I doubt the building styles match I should've probably omitted the grass so that it left more options open like Hyrule Market or something. Ah well, I'll get another one of these running shortly since this one ended so fast. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. Although I doubt the building styles match I should've probably omitted the grass so that it left more options open like Hyrule Market or something. Ah well, I'll get another one of these running shortly since this one ended so fast. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Can I suggest letting us guess the game first, too, instead of letting us know in advance? Would give more of a chance for further guessing and could possibly add more challenge to this Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Can I suggest letting us guess the game first, too, instead of letting us know in advance? Would give more of a chance for further guessing and could possibly add more challenge to this Smile
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 26th, 2022, 03:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
My only concern with this is that the images I use for this are already intended to be very obscure to make it a challenge to determine the location in the game. Unless the art style is very obvious my concern is there may not be much to go off of to make guesses. Guess The Game already struggles to get frequent guess attempts, and those images are normally full screenshots. The game I have in there right now to guess isn't even a niche or small title and yet so far, no one has attempted any form of a guess for it. If I keep a full screenshot in this contest, it might make guessing the game easier but also could risk removing a ton of challenge from figuring out the location; if I crop a screenshot, it becomes too hard in the opposite ways.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, but I do have concerns of if there is a good middle ground for both to work without one negatively affecting the other.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 26th, 2022, 03:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
My only concern with this is that the images I use for this are already intended to be very obscure to make it a challenge to determine the location in the game. Unless the art style is very obvious my concern is there may not be much to go off of to make guesses. Guess The Game already struggles to get frequent guess attempts, and those images are normally full screenshots. The game I have in there right now to guess isn't even a niche or small title and yet so far, no one has attempted any form of a guess for it. If I keep a full screenshot in this contest, it might make guessing the game easier but also could risk removing a ton of challenge from figuring out the location; if I crop a screenshot, it becomes too hard in the opposite ways.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, but I do have concerns of if there is a good middle ground for both to work without one negatively affecting the other.