What Do You Miss About The Internet?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Sep 14th, 2021, 11:11 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Nightingale: I'm surprised anyone is still paying for it if no one who runs the place has access to their staff powers any longer. Even if it was the deceased webmaster I'd have expected their bank account to no longer be open after their death to fund the site. It sucks that the place went under due to a botched install; I wonder how long it would've gone on for if that hadn't occurred. Hmm

Best I can tell, a relative to the webmaster still holds admin powers and pops up every once in a while, but it is almost certain that the site will never be restored (in fact, going through the archived pages, a lot of sections have been REMOVED).

I also caught a glimpse of an old timer (from 2003!) who still posts tutorials, but only for bots to see... I swear, it is all shrouded in mystery.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Sep 14th, 2021, 11:11 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Nightingale: I'm surprised anyone is still paying for it if no one who runs the place has access to their staff powers any longer. Even if it was the deceased webmaster I'd have expected their bank account to no longer be open after their death to fund the site. It sucks that the place went under due to a botched install; I wonder how long it would've gone on for if that hadn't occurred. Hmm

Best I can tell, a relative to the webmaster still holds admin powers and pops up every once in a while, but it is almost certain that the site will never be restored (in fact, going through the archived pages, a lot of sections have been REMOVED).

I also caught a glimpse of an old timer (from 2003!) who still posts tutorials, but only for bots to see... I swear, it is all shrouded in mystery.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Something that's rarely talked about and I believe that deserves mention is that the "scene" was pretty cutthroat and brutal back then.

You just needed to drop by the Abandonsocios forums (a ring designed to bring together all Spanish-speaking abandonware sites) and look in awe as their webmasters essentially tried to destroy each other on a daily basis... to great success. All major member sites were forced offline by 2007, whilst all the rest went under by 2012.

Even the archived versions of these "battles" (from 2005-7) are extremely tough to swallow because you were witnessing a real effort to destroy hundreds --if not thousands-- of hours of work and all that energy was being spent by the same people who put the work and had built all of that content in the first place. It was a thing of madness.

I'm not kidding, the largest Latin site went offline because of LEGAL THREATS by the largest Spanish one.

The internet from back then was truly awesome, but it definitely had its dark corners.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Something that's rarely talked about and I believe that deserves mention is that the "scene" was pretty cutthroat and brutal back then.

You just needed to drop by the Abandonsocios forums (a ring designed to bring together all Spanish-speaking abandonware sites) and look in awe as their webmasters essentially tried to destroy each other on a daily basis... to great success. All major member sites were forced offline by 2007, whilst all the rest went under by 2012.

Even the archived versions of these "battles" (from 2005-7) are extremely tough to swallow because you were witnessing a real effort to destroy hundreds --if not thousands-- of hours of work and all that energy was being spent by the same people who put the work and had built all of that content in the first place. It was a thing of madness.

I'm not kidding, the largest Latin site went offline because of LEGAL THREATS by the largest Spanish one.

The internet from back then was truly awesome, but it definitely had its dark corners.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, and I think as more people noticed that drama gets traffic that it encouraged it during that era. Even on forums that didn't start shit with another, they'd just do it in house. I remember my first forum I joined was for graphics and wrestling covers and the level of ego on there was insane, and an entire area was dedicated to ranting and arguments. Grind My Gears threads are like kindergarten compared to the absolute savagery that brought out.

The only site I know that was notorious for apparently starting beef was the Zathyus News Broadcast. It's the only forum Brandon personally went out of his way to deal with every time it tried to come back after its initial demise, and I believe was what got the rule implemented that no forum on that network was allowed to use any Zathyus materials or words in their branding in any capacity.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, and I think as more people noticed that drama gets traffic that it encouraged it during that era. Even on forums that didn't start shit with another, they'd just do it in house. I remember my first forum I joined was for graphics and wrestling covers and the level of ego on there was insane, and an entire area was dedicated to ranting and arguments. Grind My Gears threads are like kindergarten compared to the absolute savagery that brought out.

The only site I know that was notorious for apparently starting beef was the Zathyus News Broadcast. It's the only forum Brandon personally went out of his way to deal with every time it tried to come back after its initial demise, and I believe was what got the rule implemented that no forum on that network was allowed to use any Zathyus materials or words in their branding in any capacity.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
To answer the question at hand, not much. I think the internet has done more bad for the world then it's done good.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
To answer the question at hand, not much. I think the internet has done more bad for the world then it's done good.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 13th, 2022, 02:44 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
I think the internet itself was fine, it's social media and corporations and brands jumping on board that sullied the waters. None of that was present back when the internet was basically like the wild west and was full of wonder and seen as a nerds endeavor.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 13th, 2022, 02:44 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
I think the internet itself was fine, it's social media and corporations and brands jumping on board that sullied the waters. None of that was present back when the internet was basically like the wild west and was full of wonder and seen as a nerds endeavor.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Discontinued Things Do You Miss? Moonface 8 1,338 Jun 21st, 2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Does the Internet need controls or censorship? Nebulous 4 804 Mar 2nd, 2023, 05:46 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai