Do/Did You Collect Trading Cards?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I don't collect any trading cards anymore, but when I was in primary school and the Pokémon blew up in popularity with the debut of the TV and TCG in the late 90's I ended up getting into collecting Pokémon cards. I recall that was how I learned about most of the Pokémon that existed since they didn't all appear in the anime right away and I never played the games at the time to see all the Pokémon via that.

I got a pretty decent collection put together, but fell off it rather sharply when my school outright banned bringing Pokémon cards to school. With the novelty of trading and showing each other's cards to one another (oddly battling was very rare and I only know if one time it was done) practically gone and made really difficult to do outside of school I lost interest really fast, and I want to say everyone else in my school did too because no one even talked about the cards anymore. I kinda wonder how things would've gone if my school hadn't done that.

I somehow got a couple of Digimon cards too, but I never cared to get more, likely because no one else I knew seemed to even like Digimon and viewed it as a Pokémon rip-off. XD

What about you folks? Smile
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I don't collect any trading cards anymore, but when I was in primary school and the Pokémon blew up in popularity with the debut of the TV and TCG in the late 90's I ended up getting into collecting Pokémon cards. I recall that was how I learned about most of the Pokémon that existed since they didn't all appear in the anime right away and I never played the games at the time to see all the Pokémon via that.

I got a pretty decent collection put together, but fell off it rather sharply when my school outright banned bringing Pokémon cards to school. With the novelty of trading and showing each other's cards to one another (oddly battling was very rare and I only know if one time it was done) practically gone and made really difficult to do outside of school I lost interest really fast, and I want to say everyone else in my school did too because no one even talked about the cards anymore. I kinda wonder how things would've gone if my school hadn't done that.

I somehow got a couple of Digimon cards too, but I never cared to get more, likely because no one else I knew seemed to even like Digimon and viewed it as a Pokémon rip-off. XD

What about you folks? Smile
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Same for the Pokemon cards thing. Attempted to learn the actual game but it wasn't very interesting so I stopped caring.

Yu GI Oh came out a bit later and I was quite into that. Was never any good but it was still entertaining to play.

Also have a few Digimon cards as well from random things. Never attempted to learn the game for that
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Same for the Pokemon cards thing. Attempted to learn the actual game but it wasn't very interesting so I stopped caring.

Yu GI Oh came out a bit later and I was quite into that. Was never any good but it was still entertaining to play.

Also have a few Digimon cards as well from random things. Never attempted to learn the game for that
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 10th, 2022, 05:02 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I only knew it had an actual game when I saw the one battle at school that I mentioned in my previous post, and with how long it took for that game to be completed (it took multiple lunch breaks) I decided I didn't want to learn to play a game that gave me an impression it takes hours just to do one battle. XD

I also feel like trading card games can get really convoluted when certain cards start getting multiple releases, such as the case with Pokémon cards. You can't just get a Charizard and be done with it because newer versions will come out, and the original one will probably end up obsolete regardless as the game changes and it turns into a non-viable card up against newer cards with new characters on them.
I wonder if that's something digital card games like Hearthstone manage to avoid since they could just re-spec the cards if some from the birth of that game age poorly and need to be brought up to the current game standard. Hmm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 10th, 2022, 05:02 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I only knew it had an actual game when I saw the one battle at school that I mentioned in my previous post, and with how long it took for that game to be completed (it took multiple lunch breaks) I decided I didn't want to learn to play a game that gave me an impression it takes hours just to do one battle. XD

I also feel like trading card games can get really convoluted when certain cards start getting multiple releases, such as the case with Pokémon cards. You can't just get a Charizard and be done with it because newer versions will come out, and the original one will probably end up obsolete regardless as the game changes and it turns into a non-viable card up against newer cards with new characters on them.
I wonder if that's something digital card games like Hearthstone manage to avoid since they could just re-spec the cards if some from the birth of that game age poorly and need to be brought up to the current game standard. Hmm
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
Back when I was a child I collected Pokemon cards. I dipped out of them early on, and ended up trading all of my cards for a GBA Adapter (in elementary school). Still goes down as one of my biggest regrets, as I had a holographic 1st edition Charizard, which is worth thousands of dollars today. Live and learn I guess!

I ended up buying my sister's cards off her, back in High School, when she found them in her closet. Somehow, she had some of my cards I neglected to trade away. I still have those, but might get rid of them some day. I just don't have an interest in collecting cards. Tongue
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
Back when I was a child I collected Pokemon cards. I dipped out of them early on, and ended up trading all of my cards for a GBA Adapter (in elementary school). Still goes down as one of my biggest regrets, as I had a holographic 1st edition Charizard, which is worth thousands of dollars today. Live and learn I guess!

I ended up buying my sister's cards off her, back in High School, when she found them in her closet. Somehow, she had some of my cards I neglected to trade away. I still have those, but might get rid of them some day. I just don't have an interest in collecting cards. Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 15th, 2022, 11:03 PM)Frank Wrote:
How many cards did you trade for that adapter roughly? Gasp

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I had some Pokémon cards, early ones like when it was only 151 Pokémon. Don't know if I did get any of the next generation, don't remember but still own the cards I used to have. Didn't have anything special unfortunately, didn't get that lucky. *checks Dark Charizard* Oh er, maybe I do? Ah, I really don't know how to gauge this kind of stuff. Bet mine would be in the lower range of worth. Didn't like how the Team Rocket Pokémon seemed much weaker or at least much less HP than standard. Maybe 10-20HP less, but c'mon 40? Then yeah, later versions of Pokémon got much stronger. Then there's the EX and what have you, and yeah that got a bit mad. XD
I have a folder of non-duplicates/best cards although no idea where that is but have the rest in an old Curly Wurly box in my room.

Lost interest collecting them like Moony did, I think I did still collect a little bit after that maybe, but that was the main reason I started to not bother much. I didn't play with them, may have traded cards which I shouldn't have as I probably lost some good ones for stupid trades like "I'll give these 10 cards (you likely have duplicates of) for your shiny card" "Sure! *instant regret*"

I do remember playing a little snazzy PC Pokémon card game demo though.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I had some Pokémon cards, early ones like when it was only 151 Pokémon. Don't know if I did get any of the next generation, don't remember but still own the cards I used to have. Didn't have anything special unfortunately, didn't get that lucky. *checks Dark Charizard* Oh er, maybe I do? Ah, I really don't know how to gauge this kind of stuff. Bet mine would be in the lower range of worth. Didn't like how the Team Rocket Pokémon seemed much weaker or at least much less HP than standard. Maybe 10-20HP less, but c'mon 40? Then yeah, later versions of Pokémon got much stronger. Then there's the EX and what have you, and yeah that got a bit mad. XD
I have a folder of non-duplicates/best cards although no idea where that is but have the rest in an old Curly Wurly box in my room.

Lost interest collecting them like Moony did, I think I did still collect a little bit after that maybe, but that was the main reason I started to not bother much. I didn't play with them, may have traded cards which I shouldn't have as I probably lost some good ones for stupid trades like "I'll give these 10 cards (you likely have duplicates of) for your shiny card" "Sure! *instant regret*"

I do remember playing a little snazzy PC Pokémon card game demo though.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 17th, 2022, 04:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Couple hundred at least... Saddly.
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 17th, 2022, 04:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Couple hundred at least... Saddly.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Not really... I picked up about a dozen Pokémon cards from a variety of sources (mostly just charity events at school), but I never got seriously into it.

(Still, perhaps it's for the best that I never got into them. The headteacher observed that the "Poke-you-man cards" were taking over the lessons, and had them banned!)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Not really... I picked up about a dozen Pokémon cards from a variety of sources (mostly just charity events at school), but I never got seriously into it.

(Still, perhaps it's for the best that I never got into them. The headteacher observed that the "Poke-you-man cards" were taking over the lessons, and had them banned!)
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
They banned every popular thing at school: The Pokemon cards, the Gameboys, then Yugioh cards, Gameboy Advances, DSs... phones by proxy of eventual distraction, but I've actually heard zoomers have it a bit good lately in that some of the teachers around our age have just accepted them as part of society now and won't confiscate, as long as you do your work and don't be annoying with it.

Anyway, yeah I collected Pokemon cards like almost everyone else here seems to have. I stopped once they started waning in popularity, and around that time was when Yugioh was gaining traction and that was an actual card game worth playing (I just could not wrap my head around the Pokemon TCG..). I collected several deck's worth of cards (40 cards per deck, back in the day) and was absolutely trash at playing. I honestly don't think I've won a single game I've played Sweat

I also got into Duel Masters, which was a knock-off MTG clone, around this same time. I had one or two decks. Also wasn't very good at this. ROFL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
They banned every popular thing at school: The Pokemon cards, the Gameboys, then Yugioh cards, Gameboy Advances, DSs... phones by proxy of eventual distraction, but I've actually heard zoomers have it a bit good lately in that some of the teachers around our age have just accepted them as part of society now and won't confiscate, as long as you do your work and don't be annoying with it.

Anyway, yeah I collected Pokemon cards like almost everyone else here seems to have. I stopped once they started waning in popularity, and around that time was when Yugioh was gaining traction and that was an actual card game worth playing (I just could not wrap my head around the Pokemon TCG..). I collected several deck's worth of cards (40 cards per deck, back in the day) and was absolutely trash at playing. I honestly don't think I've won a single game I've played Sweat

I also got into Duel Masters, which was a knock-off MTG clone, around this same time. I had one or two decks. Also wasn't very good at this. ROFL
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I use to be a big time pro wrestling card collector. But since about 2004 or so I grew out of it and stopped collecting. But those times were good for me and I kinda miss it.
WR91 Offline
Casual
I use to be a big time pro wrestling card collector. But since about 2004 or so I grew out of it and stopped collecting. But those times were good for me and I kinda miss it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 23rd, 2022, 05:04 PM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
Do you still have those cards or did you get rid of them when you lost interest?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Do you still have those cards or did you get rid of them when you lost interest?
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Sep 23rd, 2022, 05:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I unfortunately sold them in a yard sale sometime ago.
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Sep 23rd, 2022, 05:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I unfortunately sold them in a yard sale sometime ago.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Were those more like baseball cards than an actual game? Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 25th, 2022, 06:48 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
You mean the wrestling cards? I don't know about the ones @"WrestleRacer91" likely had, but it tends to be a split between just cards with wrestlers on them and nothing else, and then the same thing but with stats attached to them. Looking at images on Google though it seems most of them are the former as both WWE and AEW have cards being made this year that are of that type. I think there was a WWE mobile game though that was based around fighting with trading cards, which tends to be the approach anything takes these days for TCG battle games unless they established themselves back before that game genre became a thing, i.e. Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You mean the wrestling cards? I don't know about the ones @"WrestleRacer91" likely had, but it tends to be a split between just cards with wrestlers on them and nothing else, and then the same thing but with stats attached to them. Looking at images on Google though it seems most of them are the former as both WWE and AEW have cards being made this year that are of that type. I think there was a WWE mobile game though that was based around fighting with trading cards, which tends to be the approach anything takes these days for TCG battle games unless they established themselves back before that game genre became a thing, i.e. Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.
WR91 Offline
Casual

I mean yeah. They weren't a game. They had a picture (either live action or from a photo shoot) and then either accomplishments or something relevant storyline wise from the time period the card came out.
WR91 Offline
Casual

I mean yeah. They weren't a game. They had a picture (either live action or from a photo shoot) and then either accomplishments or something relevant storyline wise from the time period the card came out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Trading Card Designs? Moonface 5 484 Oct 1st, 2023, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL