Poll: What’s the “Correct” Way to Hold an N64 Controller?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Holding the left and right handles.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Holding the left or right handle, and the central handle.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Any combination of handle holding.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What’s the “Correct” Way to Hold an N64 Controller?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,629
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think we can all agree that when it comes to controller designs, the N64 has one of the most distinctive with its three handle approach. What I do sometimes see though is disagreements on what the "correct" way is to hold one of these controllers. Should you hold the left and right handles like every other controller that exists? Should one of your hands be holding the central handle instead? What do you think is the "correct" way to hold an N64 controller? Tongue

For me, I always tend to hold the middle and right handles, as I find most of my attention needs to be on the joystick and face buttons, whilst the d-pad is just sorta there. I also just never found holding it by the left and right handles to be very comfortable, so even if I have had to use the d-pad I think I'll usually just let my left hand float and push buttons as necessary while I keep my right hand holding the actual controller.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,629 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think we can all agree that when it comes to controller designs, the N64 has one of the most distinctive with its three handle approach. What I do sometimes see though is disagreements on what the "correct" way is to hold one of these controllers. Should you hold the left and right handles like every other controller that exists? Should one of your hands be holding the central handle instead? What do you think is the "correct" way to hold an N64 controller? Tongue

For me, I always tend to hold the middle and right handles, as I find most of my attention needs to be on the joystick and face buttons, whilst the d-pad is just sorta there. I also just never found holding it by the left and right handles to be very comfortable, so even if I have had to use the d-pad I think I'll usually just let my left hand float and push buttons as necessary while I keep my right hand holding the actual controller.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,177
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Quote:Should you hold the left and right handles like every other controller that exists?
I'm a heathen. This is my reasoning behind how I hold the controller. I had only held a SNES controller before that, so while I thought the feel was awkward, just didn't even consider the fact you can hold it in any other fashion. I grew too used to it, and my best friend at the time was single-handed (disabled) so I didn't have an example to go off of until later in life. LOL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,177 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Quote:Should you hold the left and right handles like every other controller that exists?
I'm a heathen. This is my reasoning behind how I hold the controller. I had only held a SNES controller before that, so while I thought the feel was awkward, just didn't even consider the fact you can hold it in any other fashion. I grew too used to it, and my best friend at the time was single-handed (disabled) so I didn't have an example to go off of until later in life. LOL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I've not played with a N64 controller before, so I suppose at first I'd use what I'm used to, holding the left and right handles. I suppose I'd opt to start using the middle if I find trying to use the joystick with my left thumb or finger is difficult. *tries to imitate an imaginary joystick above middle handle* Might be able to use the left as normal.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I've not played with a N64 controller before, so I suppose at first I'd use what I'm used to, holding the left and right handles. I suppose I'd opt to start using the middle if I find trying to use the joystick with my left thumb or finger is difficult. *tries to imitate an imaginary joystick above middle handle* Might be able to use the left as normal.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,629
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 29th, 2022, 03:09 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Huh, I always thought you had some experience with earlier Nintendo systems for some reason. So Gamecube was your first Nintendo home console? Gasp
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,629 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 29th, 2022, 03:09 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Huh, I always thought you had some experience with earlier Nintendo systems for some reason. So Gamecube was your first Nintendo home console? Gasp
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I honestly think it depends on the game. Each game is kinda setup to be used differently. Like in the wrestling games on the 64, the joystick in the middle was only used for finishers and taunts. Yet a game like Mario 64 the middle joystick was my go to for movement.
WR91 Offline
Casual
I honestly think it depends on the game. Each game is kinda setup to be used differently. Like in the wrestling games on the 64, the joystick in the middle was only used for finishers and taunts. Yet a game like Mario 64 the middle joystick was my go to for movement.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,728
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I can't even think of many N64 games that made use of the D-Pad, so holding the controller in the middle + right side only made all the sense in the world to me.

Though let's be honest, the true way to hold a N64 is above a garbage can before you drop it in.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,728 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I can't even think of many N64 games that made use of the D-Pad, so holding the controller in the middle + right side only made all the sense in the world to me.

Though let's be honest, the true way to hold a N64 is above a garbage can before you drop it in.
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Sep 30th, 2022, 04:00 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Though let's me honest, the true way to hold a N64 is above a garbage can before you drop it in.
I absolutely adore the N64 and it's hands down my favorite console of all-time. But to each their own I guess.
WR91 Offline
Casual
Though let's me honest, the true way to hold a N64 is above a garbage can before you drop it in.
I absolutely adore the N64 and it's hands down my favorite console of all-time. But to each their own I guess.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Sep 29th, 2022, 03:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:

That is correct GC is my first home console. Played round Matt's (school classmate of ours) which was my first taste of Nintendo then got a GBA then GC.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Sep 29th, 2022, 03:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:

That is correct GC is my first home console. Played round Matt's (school classmate of ours) which was my first taste of Nintendo then got a GBA then GC.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,177
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

I never once put 2 and 2 together to figure out that I could just hold the center handle all along. I would play ALL my games like that (left and right handles only). It made games like Conker a pain when I'd have to reach over and shoot by extending out my right middle finger to reach the Z button ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,177 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

I never once put 2 and 2 together to figure out that I could just hold the center handle all along. I would play ALL my games like that (left and right handles only). It made games like Conker a pain when I'd have to reach over and shoot by extending out my right middle finger to reach the Z button ROFL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC Gaming - Mouse/Keyboard or Controller? Moonface 7 141 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  N64 and Genesis – Nintendo Switch Online Library Moonface 19 2,546 Apr 7th, 2023, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,561 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  Controller Shortages Incoming? Moonface 3 986 Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:51 PM
  Controller Batteries Moonface 2 2,400 Jun 4th, 2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord