SAG-AFTRA Approves Video Game Strike Authorization
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm sure everyone knows about the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strikes that have been affecting movie productions, but there had been questions as to whether a strike for actors working in video games could also potentially happen. While a strike has not yet happened, SAG-AFTRA members have voted 98.32% in favor of a strike authorization "on the Interactive Media Agreement that covers members’ work on video games".

As mentioned in the statement by SAG-AFTRA on this vote, this authorization does not mean a strike has been called but that if one is called it has already been approved by SAG-AFTRA members to go into action. If a strike were to be called, it would affect the following companies:
  • Activision Productions Inc
  • Blindlight LLC
  • Disney Character Voices Inc.
  • Electronic Arts Productions Inc.
  • Formosa Interactive LLC
  • Insomniac Games Inc.
  • Epic Games
  • Take 2 Productions Inc.
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc.
  • WB Games Inc.
SAG-AFTRA has been in negotiations with these listed companies since October 2022, throughout which "the companies have refused to offer acceptable terms on some of the issues most critical to our members, including wages that keep up with inflation, protections around exploitative uses of artificial intelligence, and basic safety precautions."

The current state of these negotiations is what led to the strike authorization vote, with the hope that it will add leverage for the next negotiation session that starts today (Sept. 26) through to Sept. 28. This will be the sixth round of negotiations according to the statement.

Of those listed companies, three of them (Blindlight LLC, Formosa Interactive LLC, and VoiceWorks Productions Inc.) are not game publishers/studios but instead do sub-contract work for both motion capture & voice acting for other game studios, with some examples of their clients below:
  • Blindlight LLC: Bethesda (most recently for Starfield), Bungie, Square Enix, Rare, and Ubisoft
  • Formosa Interactive LLC: Sony (notably God of War), Activision (Call of Duty), Kojima Productions, Riot Games, and Hoyoverse
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc: Valve, Activision, EA, Take Two, and Ubisoft
Formosa in particular has a known and notable track record for not paying their workers ever since an incident two months ago involving Hoyoverse. For anyone not in the know or just in need of a reminder, Formosa took payment from Hoyoverse for their work on the English dub of Genshin Impact but did not pay the voice actors that actually did that work, which did not sit well with Hoyoverse:

Hoyoverse Wrote:
We truly regret to learn about the ongoing situation. Genshin Impact values and respects the work and effort of everyone involved, and we support our voice actors to claim their proper due. We have made payments to our recording studio on time, and we immediately urged the studio to pay our voice actors from our past payment. Meanwhile, we are also seeking alternative solutions. And we will keep you posted on further developments.

Good on SAG-AFTRA for not backing down on this, even if it could lead to a strike that affects a lot of the game industry. I remember reading about the stuff with Hoyoverse and Formosa and thought it was bullshit then too, and although I hope none of the other companies are doing something that bad they should still be looking out for their actors just as much as I'm sure they look out for their own in-house development talent (in regards to pay, because I know shit like crunch exists and that's stupid too). 

Still, if a strike does happen it'll give all those companies a good reason to ship their games complete and maybe the devs will get to take their time instead of having to crunch for some idiot behind a desk. Whistle
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm sure everyone knows about the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strikes that have been affecting movie productions, but there had been questions as to whether a strike for actors working in video games could also potentially happen. While a strike has not yet happened, SAG-AFTRA members have voted 98.32% in favor of a strike authorization "on the Interactive Media Agreement that covers members’ work on video games".

As mentioned in the statement by SAG-AFTRA on this vote, this authorization does not mean a strike has been called but that if one is called it has already been approved by SAG-AFTRA members to go into action. If a strike were to be called, it would affect the following companies:
  • Activision Productions Inc
  • Blindlight LLC
  • Disney Character Voices Inc.
  • Electronic Arts Productions Inc.
  • Formosa Interactive LLC
  • Insomniac Games Inc.
  • Epic Games
  • Take 2 Productions Inc.
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc.
  • WB Games Inc.
SAG-AFTRA has been in negotiations with these listed companies since October 2022, throughout which "the companies have refused to offer acceptable terms on some of the issues most critical to our members, including wages that keep up with inflation, protections around exploitative uses of artificial intelligence, and basic safety precautions."

The current state of these negotiations is what led to the strike authorization vote, with the hope that it will add leverage for the next negotiation session that starts today (Sept. 26) through to Sept. 28. This will be the sixth round of negotiations according to the statement.

Of those listed companies, three of them (Blindlight LLC, Formosa Interactive LLC, and VoiceWorks Productions Inc.) are not game publishers/studios but instead do sub-contract work for both motion capture & voice acting for other game studios, with some examples of their clients below:
  • Blindlight LLC: Bethesda (most recently for Starfield), Bungie, Square Enix, Rare, and Ubisoft
  • Formosa Interactive LLC: Sony (notably God of War), Activision (Call of Duty), Kojima Productions, Riot Games, and Hoyoverse
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc: Valve, Activision, EA, Take Two, and Ubisoft
Formosa in particular has a known and notable track record for not paying their workers ever since an incident two months ago involving Hoyoverse. For anyone not in the know or just in need of a reminder, Formosa took payment from Hoyoverse for their work on the English dub of Genshin Impact but did not pay the voice actors that actually did that work, which did not sit well with Hoyoverse:

Hoyoverse Wrote:
We truly regret to learn about the ongoing situation. Genshin Impact values and respects the work and effort of everyone involved, and we support our voice actors to claim their proper due. We have made payments to our recording studio on time, and we immediately urged the studio to pay our voice actors from our past payment. Meanwhile, we are also seeking alternative solutions. And we will keep you posted on further developments.

Good on SAG-AFTRA for not backing down on this, even if it could lead to a strike that affects a lot of the game industry. I remember reading about the stuff with Hoyoverse and Formosa and thought it was bullshit then too, and although I hope none of the other companies are doing something that bad they should still be looking out for their actors just as much as I'm sure they look out for their own in-house development talent (in regards to pay, because I know shit like crunch exists and that's stupid too). 

Still, if a strike does happen it'll give all those companies a good reason to ship their games complete and maybe the devs will get to take their time instead of having to crunch for some idiot behind a desk. Whistle
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Good. VAs deserve to be paid more, no matter the nationality. Screw these corporations for not paying them what they deserve. Pay VAs more!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Good. VAs deserve to be paid more, no matter the nationality. Screw these corporations for not paying them what they deserve. Pay VAs more!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if Microsoft will step in on behalf of Activision in this or not due to the current acquisition process. It might help strengthen their case if they state they'll ensure better conditions for VA's working for Activision.
Then again, they own Bethesda already who used an external studio that is on that list, but it could be similar to the Hoyoverse/Formosa situation where they're not aware of what that external studio is doing with its employees.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if Microsoft will step in on behalf of Activision in this or not due to the current acquisition process. It might help strengthen their case if they state they'll ensure better conditions for VA's working for Activision.
Then again, they own Bethesda already who used an external studio that is on that list, but it could be similar to the Hoyoverse/Formosa situation where they're not aware of what that external studio is doing with its employees.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I still laugh at all of the people who blamed Hoyo for that because "Chinese company bad!", then when they found out how it actually works (Hoyo pays Formosa, Formosa pays VAs), they went dead silent. Surprise, surprise, it was actually the American company that were being greedy scumbags. Who would have thought!?

Anyways, I don't care about the issue one way or another, since #JPSuperiority, so let them go crazy. Though I wonder how much Union VAs striking would really affect things, considering there's tons of non-Union English VAs out there who would gladly take up any work they can get.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I still laugh at all of the people who blamed Hoyo for that because "Chinese company bad!", then when they found out how it actually works (Hoyo pays Formosa, Formosa pays VAs), they went dead silent. Surprise, surprise, it was actually the American company that were being greedy scumbags. Who would have thought!?

Anyways, I don't care about the issue one way or another, since #JPSuperiority, so let them go crazy. Though I wonder how much Union VAs striking would really affect things, considering there's tons of non-Union English VAs out there who would gladly take up any work they can get.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Seiyuu aren't doing much better. In fact, they are probably doing worse. The average for a Japanese VA is less than $14k a year. They deserve better pay just as much as Americans do.

Plus, SAG has a requirement of Union actors being on a movie set. Unless you can give a good reason, if you can't get a SAG actor, you ain't getting funded! (Yes, yes, Unions are the problem, I'm sure) I imagine the VA space is similar, so I have my doubts that this won't be effective.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Seiyuu aren't doing much better. In fact, they are probably doing worse. The average for a Japanese VA is less than $14k a year. They deserve better pay just as much as Americans do.

Plus, SAG has a requirement of Union actors being on a movie set. Unless you can give a good reason, if you can't get a SAG actor, you ain't getting funded! (Yes, yes, Unions are the problem, I'm sure) I imagine the VA space is similar, so I have my doubts that this won't be effective.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 26th, 2023, 05:46 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Though I wonder how much Union VAs striking would really affect things, considering there's tons of non-Union English VAs out there who would gladly take up any work they can get.
Depends on who's being replaced really. Any voice actor that has a large role wouldn't be easy to replace, especially if it's in any live service games where new lines could get added onto existing ones where it would be very obvious the VA has changed. I forget why they did it but Destiny 2 had to get all the voice lines redone for a character which probably wasn't cheap, and if a whole game has to do that it could be a very large sum of money.
Plus if those non union VA's were a worthwhile choice I'd wonder why they weren't chosen over those that are part of a union in the first place.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 26th, 2023, 05:46 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Though I wonder how much Union VAs striking would really affect things, considering there's tons of non-Union English VAs out there who would gladly take up any work they can get.
Depends on who's being replaced really. Any voice actor that has a large role wouldn't be easy to replace, especially if it's in any live service games where new lines could get added onto existing ones where it would be very obvious the VA has changed. I forget why they did it but Destiny 2 had to get all the voice lines redone for a character which probably wasn't cheap, and if a whole game has to do that it could be a very large sum of money.
Plus if those non union VA's were a worthwhile choice I'd wonder why they weren't chosen over those that are part of a union in the first place.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
SAG-AFTRA Talks With Video Game Industry End With No Deal
After three days of negotiations that ended yesterday, talks between SAG-AFTRA and the gaming companies listed in this post have ended with no agreement.

SAG-AFTRA and Video Game Producers Wrote:
SAG-AFTRA and video game employers concluded scheduled negotiations for the Interactive Media Agreement. No deal was reached and the current agreement will remain in effect while the parties make final efforts to reach a deal.

No word has yet been given as to whether a strike will occur, but it's highly likely after the 98.32% vote in favor of a strike authorization by SAG-AFTRA members. SAG-AFTRA’s last strike against the gaming companies, which took place in late 2016 and ran into 2017, lasted 183 days.

Source: Deadline

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
SAG-AFTRA Talks With Video Game Industry End With No Deal
After three days of negotiations that ended yesterday, talks between SAG-AFTRA and the gaming companies listed in this post have ended with no agreement.

SAG-AFTRA and Video Game Producers Wrote:
SAG-AFTRA and video game employers concluded scheduled negotiations for the Interactive Media Agreement. No deal was reached and the current agreement will remain in effect while the parties make final efforts to reach a deal.

No word has yet been given as to whether a strike will occur, but it's highly likely after the 98.32% vote in favor of a strike authorization by SAG-AFTRA members. SAG-AFTRA’s last strike against the gaming companies, which took place in late 2016 and ran into 2017, lasted 183 days.

Source: Deadline

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Personal Video Game of Each Year List WR91 35 13,680 Oct 18th, 2023, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 779 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Guess The Video-Game Moonface 248 115,308 Jun 17th, 2023, 07:27 PM
  What is the best book-to-video game adaptation? popopdc 3 1,122 Nov 29th, 2022, 12:00 AM
  How Video Games Will Look in 2021 Moonface 3 2,522 Apr 7th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai