Game Characters That Had Good Development?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Monocle: I just read up the plot of the game on Wikipedia to get a more in-depth grasp of it, and Luke's dedicated Wikipedia page really gives a good insight into how much his character changes as most of the reception to him has been polarized, starting with most people really hating him but then praised how his character develops. He's also apparently one of the most popular characters in all of the Tales series which I think says a lot considering how much of a dick he starts off as.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Monocle: I just read up the plot of the game on Wikipedia to get a more in-depth grasp of it, and Luke's dedicated Wikipedia page really gives a good insight into how much his character changes as most of the reception to him has been polarized, starting with most people really hating him but then praised how his character develops. He's also apparently one of the most popular characters in all of the Tales series which I think says a lot considering how much of a dick he starts off as.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
@Moonface exactly! it's still my favorite Tales and I'm not sure what will usurp it. The change also feels natural. Doesn't feel like it's forced as a plot device. He makes a huge mistake, his depression and is abandoned by his friends, and then realizes he needs to change and takes the steps to change.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
@Moonface exactly! it's still my favorite Tales and I'm not sure what will usurp it. The change also feels natural. Doesn't feel like it's forced as a plot device. He makes a huge mistake, his depression and is abandoned by his friends, and then realizes he needs to change and takes the steps to change.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I'm gonna necro this thread to bring up an odd case of character development, because of how quickly it happens WITHOUT it being completely jarring! ...And it's also a development that, even just talking about it, succeeds in making me cry every time.

Dark Cloud 2 has a major villain named Gaspard. This is not a spoiler; he literally kills Monica's father in the prologue/tutorial combat scenario. Calling him a "villain" is really the ONLY way to describe him. And throughout the game, he's shown up and been a thorn on your side. In Chapter 3, he tries to blow up an important object, killing a character and setting up the plot for that chapter (Again, that death is not really a spoiler; it's right at the beginning of the chapter). In Chapter 4, he attacks an innocent village and you have to fend him off. In Chapter 5, he sets up a machine that restricts your building abilities, and you have to destroy it. And it's this chapter that we are focusing in on. The only thing you need to know before the spoilers start is that Max is on his journey in order to find his mother, and there's an evil dude named "Griffon" who is trying to destroy the future. Spoilers go here.

The reason why I say it happens quickly is because we are given this straight up in a 10-minute sequence, but I don't consider it jarring because nothing about it forces you to re-evaluate his actions. If anything, it makes you understand just how deep into the situation he's in. Before this point, one character says a quote that is poignant in this exact context: "[Griffon's Henchmen] sold their souls to the darkness." Seeing this scene every time makes me understand why that character says that.

No joke, I'm in tears right now writing this. And not, like, "single tear down the cheek" cry, but "snot leaking out, squealing and sobbing" cry. There are plenty of scenes that make me tear up in this game, but this sequence looms large over all the others. I don't know if I'll ever be able to see that scene, and not cry.

...And I pray to God I never will.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I'm gonna necro this thread to bring up an odd case of character development, because of how quickly it happens WITHOUT it being completely jarring! ...And it's also a development that, even just talking about it, succeeds in making me cry every time.

Dark Cloud 2 has a major villain named Gaspard. This is not a spoiler; he literally kills Monica's father in the prologue/tutorial combat scenario. Calling him a "villain" is really the ONLY way to describe him. And throughout the game, he's shown up and been a thorn on your side. In Chapter 3, he tries to blow up an important object, killing a character and setting up the plot for that chapter (Again, that death is not really a spoiler; it's right at the beginning of the chapter). In Chapter 4, he attacks an innocent village and you have to fend him off. In Chapter 5, he sets up a machine that restricts your building abilities, and you have to destroy it. And it's this chapter that we are focusing in on. The only thing you need to know before the spoilers start is that Max is on his journey in order to find his mother, and there's an evil dude named "Griffon" who is trying to destroy the future. Spoilers go here.

The reason why I say it happens quickly is because we are given this straight up in a 10-minute sequence, but I don't consider it jarring because nothing about it forces you to re-evaluate his actions. If anything, it makes you understand just how deep into the situation he's in. Before this point, one character says a quote that is poignant in this exact context: "[Griffon's Henchmen] sold their souls to the darkness." Seeing this scene every time makes me understand why that character says that.

No joke, I'm in tears right now writing this. And not, like, "single tear down the cheek" cry, but "snot leaking out, squealing and sobbing" cry. There are plenty of scenes that make me tear up in this game, but this sequence looms large over all the others. I don't know if I'll ever be able to see that scene, and not cry.

...And I pray to God I never will.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Game Development Stories? Moonface 0 160 Dec 9th, 2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Live Action Zelda Movie in Development Moonface 9 572 Nov 17th, 2023, 05:51 PM
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game characters you disagree with common descriptions of popopdc 1 658 Nov 10th, 2022, 06:55 PM
  Games That Are Good/Bad Value for Money? Moonface 8 2,638 Oct 15th, 2021, 10:18 PM