Poll: Do You Use Apps on Your Console?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
1 33.33%
No
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Does Anyone Here Bother with Apps on Consoles?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As the title says really. It was just something I thought of when seeing the Media tab on my PS5 home screen just now and being reminded that there are apps available to use.

I know nowadays I absolutely don't bother because I just use my Chromecast to watch anything on my TV, which is easier than booting up a console and using an app on there. I think I may have used the YouTube app back on the PS3 since I didn't have any other way to watch it on my TV, and I feel like that's probably the main reason anyone would bother to ever use any apps on any consoles.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As the title says really. It was just something I thought of when seeing the Media tab on my PS5 home screen just now and being reminded that there are apps available to use.

I know nowadays I absolutely don't bother because I just use my Chromecast to watch anything on my TV, which is easier than booting up a console and using an app on there. I think I may have used the YouTube app back on the PS3 since I didn't have any other way to watch it on my TV, and I feel like that's probably the main reason anyone would bother to ever use any apps on any consoles.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If we didn't have the Chromecast, it'd probably be worth using. We wouldn't be able to "cast" anything without actually having the apps on our TVs, and because we don't have a smart TV, we'd be shit out of luck there.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
If we didn't have the Chromecast, it'd probably be worth using. We wouldn't be able to "cast" anything without actually having the apps on our TVs, and because we don't have a smart TV, we'd be shit out of luck there.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 18th, 2022, 06:37 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
...we don't have a smart TV, we'd be shit out of luck there.
With how garbage smart TVs are I would never consider those as an option for streaming content on a TV. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 18th, 2022, 06:37 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
...we don't have a smart TV, we'd be shit out of luck there.
With how garbage smart TVs are I would never consider those as an option for streaming content on a TV. Errm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Just Amazon Prime on my PS5 and even that is in the realm of rarely. Didn't use any on PS4 and used YouTube very briefly on PS3.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Just Amazon Prime on my PS5 and even that is in the realm of rarely. Didn't use any on PS4 and used YouTube very briefly on PS3.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You ever considered using Twitch on your PS5 @Mr EliteL for when you might be using your laptop for other things such as Genshin or whatever?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You ever considered using Twitch on your PS5 @Mr EliteL for when you might be using your laptop for other things such as Genshin or whatever?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I would do if I bothered to use my other DualSense that I've yet to get out of the box I got with my console, but I use my first DualSense for both PS5 and laptop, so pointless to have both on if trying to play on the other. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I would do if I bothered to use my other DualSense that I've yet to get out of the box I got with my console, but I use my first DualSense for both PS5 and laptop, so pointless to have both on if trying to play on the other. XD
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
I do for specific ones.

For example, my Smart TV doesn't have Apple TV compatibility. For that I would use my PS5.

Back in the day, when I used to spend a lot of time in my heated garage, I had a TV and my Wii U set up. That was a great way to watch movies through Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube videos!
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
I do for specific ones.

For example, my Smart TV doesn't have Apple TV compatibility. For that I would use my PS5.

Back in the day, when I used to spend a lot of time in my heated garage, I had a TV and my Wii U set up. That was a great way to watch movies through Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube videos!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 26th, 2022, 08:49 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Could always sync up a PS4 controller with the PS5 instead if you're that lazy, since I'm sure your PS4 controllers are already out. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 26th, 2022, 08:49 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Could always sync up a PS4 controller with the PS5 instead if you're that lazy, since I'm sure your PS4 controllers are already out. Tongue
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Nov 27th, 2022, 09:41 PM)Frank Wrote:
I do for specific ones.

Honestly that's one thing the WiiU was good for: it's TV functionality was pretty solid!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I do for specific ones.

Honestly that's one thing the WiiU was good for: it's TV functionality was pretty solid!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Nov 29th, 2022, 03:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I do for specific ones.

The Switch would work really well for TV purposes since you could just use it as a larger tablet screen if you want to watch something without using a TV, but I suppose Nintendo didn't bother much with it since they would probably rather people play games on the go rather than watch stuff, plus it might not even really have a decent market when considering how many people have tablets and how large phone screens are nowadays. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I do for specific ones.

The Switch would work really well for TV purposes since you could just use it as a larger tablet screen if you want to watch something without using a TV, but I suppose Nintendo didn't bother much with it since they would probably rather people play games on the go rather than watch stuff, plus it might not even really have a decent market when considering how many people have tablets and how large phone screens are nowadays. ROFL
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Nov 30th, 2022, 11:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I do for specific ones.

The Wii U's dual-screen functionality was incredibly convenient though. And the second screen experience on apps like Netflix was also cool. Seeing what actors/actresses are currently on screen without having to pause or cover up the screen was also very nifty. Grin

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Nov 30th, 2022, 11:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I do for specific ones.

The Wii U's dual-screen functionality was incredibly convenient though. And the second screen experience on apps like Netflix was also cool. Seeing what actors/actresses are currently on screen without having to pause or cover up the screen was also very nifty. Grin
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 1st, 2022, 01:00 AM)Frank Wrote:
Did the second screen display things relevant to what was on the main screen as it happened or was it more that Netflix just showed a cast list on the second screen? Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Did the second screen display things relevant to what was on the main screen as it happened or was it more that Netflix just showed a cast list on the second screen? Unsure
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 1st, 2022, 09:50 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I varied by app. Sometimes it would tell you the cast members currently on screen, other times it would allow you to browse other episodes without interrupting the show. It was ahead of it's time, especially now that streaming has been more widely adopted.

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Dec 1st, 2022, 09:50 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I varied by app. Sometimes it would tell you the cast members currently on screen, other times it would allow you to browse other episodes without interrupting the show. It was ahead of it's time, especially now that streaming has been more widely adopted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,612 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Next Generation of Consoles Expected to Come Out in 2028 Moonface 8 1,245 Jul 1st, 2023, 11:05 PM
  Let's Look Back at the 8th Generation of Consoles Moonface 5 2,065 Feb 5th, 2022, 01:06 AM
  Let's Look Back at the 7th Generation of Consoles Moonface 23 8,259 Aug 10th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Nightingale
  Let's Look Back at the 6th Generation of Consoles Moonface 12 5,365 Apr 29th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Metallix