Shining Resonance Refrain
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

Developer: SEGA
Publisher: SEGA of America
Platform: PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
Release Date: July 10th, 2018
Genre: Action RPG

Sega announced this morning that Shining Resonance Refrain, the remaster of the PS3 RPG that released only in Japan, will come to the West this summer on PlayStation 4.

Shining Resonance originally released in Japan in 2014 as a PS3 title. It’s a traditional RPG with a real-time action battle system and a focus on music with instrument-style weapons an melodic attacks.

As for the remaster, it comes with over 150 DLCs from the original game with new songs and new costumes. There’s a new “Refrain Mode” that throws in a “what if story” featuring featuring Excela Noa Aura and Jenius Aeon who normally don’t join your party.

Find more information about the game at Siliconera.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

Developer: SEGA
Publisher: SEGA of America
Platform: PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
Release Date: July 10th, 2018
Genre: Action RPG

Sega announced this morning that Shining Resonance Refrain, the remaster of the PS3 RPG that released only in Japan, will come to the West this summer on PlayStation 4.

Shining Resonance originally released in Japan in 2014 as a PS3 title. It’s a traditional RPG with a real-time action battle system and a focus on music with instrument-style weapons an melodic attacks.

As for the remaster, it comes with over 150 DLCs from the original game with new songs and new costumes. There’s a new “Refrain Mode” that throws in a “what if story” featuring featuring Excela Noa Aura and Jenius Aeon who normally don’t join your party.

Find more information about the game at Siliconera.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

Ahhhh! So hyped for this game! Can't wait to play it, though unfortunately it's going to have to wait until I get back from my New York trip. :'( I don't want to play it for a day and then have to wait five days to play it again.

At least I'll get to enjoy looking at my copy when it arrives later today.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

Ahhhh! So hyped for this game! Can't wait to play it, though unfortunately it's going to have to wait until I get back from my New York trip. :'( I don't want to play it for a day and then have to wait five days to play it again.

queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I actually have plans to get this. I uh, downloaded the Switch demo just to see how the game feels & plays. If I like the Switch demo, I might consider the Nintendo port. BUT, I'm sure Sony will win in the end, I do enjoy my PS4. ^^
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I actually have plans to get this. I uh, downloaded the Switch demo just to see how the game feels & plays. If I like the Switch demo, I might consider the Nintendo port. BUT, I'm sure Sony will win in the end, I do enjoy my PS4. ^^
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Jul 10th, 2018, 02:36 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Play at my place!
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

Play at my place!
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
I might pick this up, I haven't played a Shining game since Shining Force 2
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
I might pick this up, I haven't played a Shining game since Shining Force 2
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Jul 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM)Monocle Wrote:

Play at my place!

Hell no. First of all, you've already started it, so spoilers for me. Second of all, none of the progress I'd make playing at your place would matter, since I'd have to do it all over again once I got home.

Plus I'll be too busy making you play Dark Souls so I can laugh at how much of a scrub you are every time you die.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC

Play at my place!

Hell no. First of all, you've already started it, so spoilers for me. Second of all, none of the progress I'd make playing at your place would matter, since I'd have to do it all over again once I got home.

Plus I'll be too busy making you play Dark Souls so I can laugh at how much of a scrub you are every time you die.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Jul 11th, 2018, 12:24 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Play at my place!

You could just play on your own account on my PS4 and upload your save.  Mellow

You'll never go back home then because you'll die from all the laughter.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Jul 11th, 2018, 12:24 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Play at my place!

You could just play on your own account on my PS4 and upload your save.  Mellow

You'll never go back home then because you'll die from all the laughter.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That sounds like way too much work. Plus I have to finish Atelier Lydie and Suelle before I even think of starting Shining Resonance. Can't have too many games going on at once, or else it'll slow down completion times for them. Unlike you, I'd rather finish a game before starting another, rather than have 50 unfinished games that will never actually get completed.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That sounds like way too much work. Plus I have to finish Atelier Lydie and Suelle before I even think of starting Shining Resonance. Can't have too many games going on at once, or else it'll slow down completion times for them. Unlike you, I'd rather finish a game before starting another, rather than have 50 unfinished games that will never actually get completed.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Jul 11th, 2018, 03:40 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

You're just mad that I have more experience under my belt.  Whistle

But I literally only did the prologue so I have no idea what's going on
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Jul 11th, 2018, 03:40 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

You're just mad that I have more experience under my belt.  Whistle

But I literally only did the prologue so I have no idea what's going on
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
So this ended up being super mediocre. It definitely feels like a budget game and this is after being ported. Battles are repetitive and side quests are grindy for no reason. I mean I'm not disappointed because I want too excited, didn't even play the demo, but I can imagine those who wanted it more than I being let down.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
So this ended up being super mediocre. It definitely feels like a budget game and this is after being ported. Battles are repetitive and side quests are grindy for no reason. I mean I'm not disappointed because I want too excited, didn't even play the demo, but I can imagine those who wanted it more than I being let down.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I got this game used, so I'm glad I saved some bucks by going that route if ShiningRR is mehish.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I got this game used, so I'm glad I saved some bucks by going that route if ShiningRR is mehish.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Aug 25th, 2018, 06:50 PM)Monocle Wrote:

Yeah, it's unfortunate how shallow the game turned out to be. The combat lacks any real depth and doesn't gain any at any point in the story, and the lack of any difficulty renders any real thought into how you play worthless. Then dating elements are pretty shallow as well. Getting a wrong choice during a date scene hardly matters, as you can just get that date scene again another time and pick the right answer. The fact that all of the dating/bonding scenes are repeatable also takes away from that element of the game as well.

Quests are one of the bigger disappointments. The fact that they are repeatable and rarely offer a reward of any value just makes them feel like a complete waste of time. Especially the item requests that require a rare item found in the field, but offer basic items that are definitely not worth the time taken to gather five of a material that could take you 30+ minutes to get.

The story doesn't offer much either. Most scenes are extremely short and the progression of the game is, "Let's go to this place. Alright, now let's go to that place." just makes progressing through the game feel like an absolute slog. It doesn't help that aside from a consumable item to teleport you back to town, there is no fast travel, and the game will require you to go quite a ways out of town, then have you return to town only to tell you to go back to the place you just were immediately after returning to town.

I was very hyped for the game, it looked like it had what it would need to be a great experience. Unfortunately this is a case of looks can be deceiving, and the game has ended up being one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me. A huge shame, because I wanted to love it.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Aug 25th, 2018, 06:50 PM)Monocle Wrote:

Yeah, it's unfortunate how shallow the game turned out to be. The combat lacks any real depth and doesn't gain any at any point in the story, and the lack of any difficulty renders any real thought into how you play worthless. Then dating elements are pretty shallow as well. Getting a wrong choice during a date scene hardly matters, as you can just get that date scene again another time and pick the right answer. The fact that all of the dating/bonding scenes are repeatable also takes away from that element of the game as well.

Quests are one of the bigger disappointments. The fact that they are repeatable and rarely offer a reward of any value just makes them feel like a complete waste of time. Especially the item requests that require a rare item found in the field, but offer basic items that are definitely not worth the time taken to gather five of a material that could take you 30+ minutes to get.

The story doesn't offer much either. Most scenes are extremely short and the progression of the game is, "Let's go to this place. Alright, now let's go to that place." just makes progressing through the game feel like an absolute slog. It doesn't help that aside from a consumable item to teleport you back to town, there is no fast travel, and the game will require you to go quite a ways out of town, then have you return to town only to tell you to go back to the place you just were immediately after returning to town.

I was very hyped for the game, it looked like it had what it would need to be a great experience. Unfortunately this is a case of looks can be deceiving, and the game has ended up being one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me. A huge shame, because I wanted to love it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Moonface 74 18,271 Mar 19th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord