Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650
Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
PlayStation accessibility controller unveiled to help players with disabilities
Sony unveiled Project Leonardo at CES 2023, which the company says will make it easier for disabled players to enjoy games on the PlayStation 5.

Sony is developing a new controller for the PlayStation 5 called Project Leonardo that aims to make gaming more accessible for individuals with limited motor control. The controller consists of customizable circular gamepads with buttons and directional inputs. It can be used on its own or in combination with DualSense controllers, with up to two Leonardos and one DualSense being recognized as a single gamepad by the PS5. This allows players to customize their controller and also enables others to assist in controlling the game.

Any thoughts ?

[Image: c708a34b95a764e72ea8c71ecc740712d0163538-scaled.jpg]
aerodynamik Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,650 Halo Call of Duty Halloween Birthday Bash 
PlayStation accessibility controller unveiled to help players with disabilities
Sony unveiled Project Leonardo at CES 2023, which the company says will make it easier for disabled players to enjoy games on the PlayStation 5.

Sony is developing a new controller for the PlayStation 5 called Project Leonardo that aims to make gaming more accessible for individuals with limited motor control. The controller consists of customizable circular gamepads with buttons and directional inputs. It can be used on its own or in combination with DualSense controllers, with up to two Leonardos and one DualSense being recognized as a single gamepad by the PS5. This allows players to customize their controller and also enables others to assist in controlling the game.

Any thoughts ?

[Image: c708a34b95a764e72ea8c71ecc740712d0163538-scaled.jpg]
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Xbox Adaptive Controller, since I think that one has been the gold standard for accessibility controllers ever since it came out. There is also the Hori Flex Controller which is for PC and Switch, but I can't find much about the reception to that and it's also nearly double the cost of Microsoft's offering; I think the only advantage it has over the Xbox one is it can be used on Switch, which I think makes it the only accessibility controller for that system. Likewise, I think Project Leonardo is the first and only accessibility controller offering for PlayStation platforms, and if so then I'm glad this exists just for that reason alone even if it doesn't measure up to what Xbox is putting out.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Xbox Adaptive Controller, since I think that one has been the gold standard for accessibility controllers ever since it came out. There is also the Hori Flex Controller which is for PC and Switch, but I can't find much about the reception to that and it's also nearly double the cost of Microsoft's offering; I think the only advantage it has over the Xbox one is it can be used on Switch, which I think makes it the only accessibility controller for that system. Likewise, I think Project Leonardo is the first and only accessibility controller offering for PlayStation platforms, and if so then I'm glad this exists just for that reason alone even if it doesn't measure up to what Xbox is putting out.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Can't imagine how this controller is meant to work, I suppose it's just placing a hand or hands over the top and pressing the buttons. Also don't understand why the triangle and circle button don't have their own segments like the rest of them. Ah, just saw this video where you don't have to have that long button after all.

[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Can't imagine how this controller is meant to work, I suppose it's just placing a hand or hands over the top and pressing the buttons. Also don't understand why the triangle and circle button don't have their own segments like the rest of them. Ah, just saw this video where you don't have to have that long button after all.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I can't really determine how it actually works from just the image either, and the video doesn't really help much except for showing the obvious button customization. I get the impression that you decide what specific buttons you want and what size plate you want each one to be on, and then designate each button with its respective number on the inner circle in a settings menu on the console, since I doubt the controller itself is going to be equipped to know whether the plate on #2 is fitted with an L1, X, or > button.

Addendum: I didn't look at this until after writing what's above and I'm not going to rewrite it, but my turns out my impression on how the buttons work is correct thanks to the explanation on the PlayStation Blog post about this controller. I wonder if this controller could have any usefulness with speedrunning at all since some functions can be assigned to the same button which could make certain inputs easier and faster. Hmm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I can't really determine how it actually works from just the image either, and the video doesn't really help much except for showing the obvious button customization. I get the impression that you decide what specific buttons you want and what size plate you want each one to be on, and then designate each button with its respective number on the inner circle in a settings menu on the console, since I doubt the controller itself is going to be equipped to know whether the plate on #2 is fitted with an L1, X, or > button.

Addendum: I didn't look at this until after writing what's above and I'm not going to rewrite it, but my turns out my impression on how the buttons work is correct thanks to the explanation on the PlayStation Blog post about this controller. I wonder if this controller could have any usefulness with speedrunning at all since some functions can be assigned to the same button which could make certain inputs easier and faster. Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Most accessibility controllers (or functions, i.e. turbo) are generally banned in most speedrunning communities to avoid unnecessary advantages over other runners.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Most accessibility controllers (or functions, i.e. turbo) are generally banned in most speedrunning communities to avoid unnecessary advantages over other runners.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 13th, 2023, 06:01 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Ah, good point that I somehow forgot. I think I might have mixed it up with the regular runs people do in games using weird controllers and stuff. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 13th, 2023, 06:01 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Ah, good point that I somehow forgot. I think I might have mixed it up with the regular runs people do in games using weird controllers and stuff. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah controllers generally have to be reviewed before submissions. There's been tons of ableism talk though, so perhaps they'd make exceptions for those with disabilities being allowed to use these kinds of controllers.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah controllers generally have to be reviewed before submissions. There's been tons of ableism talk though, so perhaps they'd make exceptions for those with disabilities being allowed to use these kinds of controllers.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 15th, 2023, 12:25 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Then I think it's best to just do a category allowing these controllers and one that doesn't, setting it up in a vein similar to the Olympics and Paralympics. The only downside to this would be whether those without a disability would still have a distinct advantage other those who do when both parties are using an accessibility controller such as this, but I'd like to hope these controllers are good enough that it creates a really even playing field between everyone regardless of the presence or extent of a disability.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 15th, 2023, 12:25 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Then I think it's best to just do a category allowing these controllers and one that doesn't, setting it up in a vein similar to the Olympics and Paralympics. The only downside to this would be whether those without a disability would still have a distinct advantage other those who do when both parties are using an accessibility controller such as this, but I'd like to hope these controllers are good enough that it creates a really even playing field between everyone regardless of the presence or extent of a disability.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC Gaming - Mouse/Keyboard or Controller? Moonface 7 159 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis Moonface 420 122,132 Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 735 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,281 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 579 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL