Favourite Descriptions in Games?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I had originally planned to make this thread just for Pokédex entries, but since there are other things in games that get descriptive entries such as weapons, locations, enemies, etc. I figured it'd be better to expand the thread to all of those things. ^_^

So yeah, what's a description for something you've read in a game that you really liked? Smile

I can't recall if every Ratchet & Clank game did it, but Rift Apart at least has preview videos for all the weapons that describe what they are/do to the player, and I really like some of them:

"The Warmonger! A weapon whose destructive capability is matched only by its simplicity. Pull the fire trigger, it shoots a rocket. Pull it again, it shoots another rocket. Ah, but what happens if you fire a third time?! It shoots another rocket! KABOOM!"

"Don't you JUST HATE when your enemies are hiding off in the distance? WELL STOP HATING AND START AIMING WITH THE HEADHUNTER! Pull the aim trigger halfway to get in realllll close, pull it fully to slooow down... And pull the fire trigger to remove your enemies' heads from their shoulders! AH YEAH!"

There's a few more but I don't have the time right this moment to scroll through video footage of the weapon previews and type out all the dialogue of ones that I like, so I'll just leave these two for now. I wanna do Pokédex entries too but I can't remember what ones are some of the really messed up ones that just catch you off guard when you first come across them. Doh
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I had originally planned to make this thread just for Pokédex entries, but since there are other things in games that get descriptive entries such as weapons, locations, enemies, etc. I figured it'd be better to expand the thread to all of those things. ^_^

So yeah, what's a description for something you've read in a game that you really liked? Smile

I can't recall if every Ratchet & Clank game did it, but Rift Apart at least has preview videos for all the weapons that describe what they are/do to the player, and I really like some of them:

"The Warmonger! A weapon whose destructive capability is matched only by its simplicity. Pull the fire trigger, it shoots a rocket. Pull it again, it shoots another rocket. Ah, but what happens if you fire a third time?! It shoots another rocket! KABOOM!"

"Don't you JUST HATE when your enemies are hiding off in the distance? WELL STOP HATING AND START AIMING WITH THE HEADHUNTER! Pull the aim trigger halfway to get in realllll close, pull it fully to slooow down... And pull the fire trigger to remove your enemies' heads from their shoulders! AH YEAH!"

There's a few more but I don't have the time right this moment to scroll through video footage of the weapon previews and type out all the dialogue of ones that I like, so I'll just leave these two for now. I wanna do Pokédex entries too but I can't remember what ones are some of the really messed up ones that just catch you off guard when you first come across them. Doh
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Darn, no examples go to mind right now. Not even Pokédex as I can't think of a specific one I might like before and it doesn't help they tend to change them per entry either slightly or completely. If I come across some I'll try and take note so I can post in here. Those two from Ratchet & Clank are good though. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Darn, no examples go to mind right now. Not even Pokédex as I can't think of a specific one I might like before and it doesn't help they tend to change them per entry either slightly or completely. If I come across some I'll try and take note so I can post in here. Those two from Ratchet & Clank are good though. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So when I was looking for an image to use for the tweet I did about this thread I came across this article on Gamespot that had some of the more disturbing Pokedex entries: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/pokemon...2900-4034/

Out of the ones they feature I absolutely love the descriptions for Araquanid, Basculegion, Bewear, Drifloon, Duskull, Gliscor, Golbat, Gourgeist, Mimikyu, and Phantump. Drifloon is actually the only one of those I mentioned that I knew the description of already, so all of these were new to me and man, Mimikyu is definitely my absolute favorite. It's so screwed up that it just outright states a trainer saw it and died.  XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So when I was looking for an image to use for the tweet I did about this thread I came across this article on Gamespot that had some of the more disturbing Pokedex entries: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/pokemon...2900-4034/

Out of the ones they feature I absolutely love the descriptions for Araquanid, Basculegion, Bewear, Drifloon, Duskull, Gliscor, Golbat, Gourgeist, Mimikyu, and Phantump. Drifloon is actually the only one of those I mentioned that I knew the description of already, so all of these were new to me and man, Mimikyu is definitely my absolute favorite. It's so screwed up that it just outright states a trainer saw it and died.  XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah yeah those are good. I never knew what it says about Parasect being practically already dead but the mushroom keeps it alive. About Gyarados' entry, you'd think it would flood or use water when in rage but nope.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah yeah those are good. I never knew what it says about Parasect being practically already dead but the mushroom keeps it alive. About Gyarados' entry, you'd think it would flood or use water when in rage but nope.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 22nd, 2023, 05:11 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
About Gyarados' entry, you'd think it would flood or use water when in rage but nope.
Yeah, this one makes no sense to me reading it again and taking in what it says properly. Looking at its entries across the generations, it was sensible in Gen 1 but then Gen 2 just randomly adds in burning destruction. I get it can learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast via TM but that just makes the entries about fire even worse because unless I'm mistaken a Pokémon in the wild can not learn any move that is done via a TM, since those require a trainer. Although, Gen 3 does happen to mention that the "Hyper Beam it shoots from its mouth totally incinerates all targets" so I guess that works, but I guess I just can't associate a Water-type Pokémon with burning stuff down.

On a side note about Pokédex entries, I find it weird that each game in a generation gives a different description for a Pokémon. Why not just use the same entry across games that release together? Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 22nd, 2023, 05:11 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
About Gyarados' entry, you'd think it would flood or use water when in rage but nope.
Yeah, this one makes no sense to me reading it again and taking in what it says properly. Looking at its entries across the generations, it was sensible in Gen 1 but then Gen 2 just randomly adds in burning destruction. I get it can learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast via TM but that just makes the entries about fire even worse because unless I'm mistaken a Pokémon in the wild can not learn any move that is done via a TM, since those require a trainer. Although, Gen 3 does happen to mention that the "Hyper Beam it shoots from its mouth totally incinerates all targets" so I guess that works, but I guess I just can't associate a Water-type Pokémon with burning stuff down.

On a side note about Pokédex entries, I find it weird that each game in a generation gives a different description for a Pokémon. Why not just use the same entry across games that release together? Errm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite/Memorable Cutscenes? Moonface 3 314 Yesterday, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,127 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 568 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 91 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 725 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM