Hogwarts: Legacy
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Not surprising given the name recognition alone would have pushed it to the attention of people who are casual gamers. It makes me wonder how well the original Harry Potter games would have sold if gaming was as big and widespread back then as it is now, although it would also rely on those games getting the same level of marketing this one got too.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Not surprising given the name recognition alone would have pushed it to the attention of people who are casual gamers. It makes me wonder how well the original Harry Potter games would have sold if gaming was as big and widespread back then as it is now, although it would also rely on those games getting the same level of marketing this one got too.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I bought this game for my husband since he's a huge Harry Potter fan. The game just got boring for me after a while. I might try to go back into it later this year, but eh we'll see.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I bought this game for my husband since he's a huge Harry Potter fan. The game just got boring for me after a while. I might try to go back into it later this year, but eh we'll see.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 18th, 2024, 11:20 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I've seen a fair amount of comments saying that the game loses a lot of charm for them once you leave Hogwarts and/or notice a lot of the game is rather by the numbers when it comes to an open world game, so you're certainly not the first person I've seen whose interest waned on the game.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 18th, 2024, 11:20 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I've seen a fair amount of comments saying that the game loses a lot of charm for them once you leave Hogwarts and/or notice a lot of the game is rather by the numbers when it comes to an open world game, so you're certainly not the first person I've seen whose interest waned on the game.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I wouldn't say the charms of the game completely stopped after leaving Hogwarts, but yeah the game did suffer from the typical open world game repetitiveness. But as I talked about in this topic before, that's not really something that can be blamed on this game. That's been the case with open world games for... years. Nobody wants to innovate open world and they're just content with copy/pasting the same stuff every where. Elden Ring did it. Skyrim did it. Ghost of Tsushima did it (love the game, but man it could have used something other than just the same fox dens, shrines, hot springs, etc. pasted every where). Same puzzles re-used constantly, same handful of enemy types used through the entire game, same dungeons copy/pasted. Just open world 101 at this point.

It would have been nice to see HL break off from that and do something different, but being their first go at such a huge open world game, I can't fault them too much for playing it safe. Maybe with the success of this game, they'll have more confidence to go out and do something different for Hogwarts Legacy 2. They should have an even bigger budget for it too, so hopefully that'll help them avoid the feeling of repetitiveness in the world.

Not a perfect game by any stretch, but considering it was their first go, they really laid the groundwork for an amazing sequel. If they can deliver on it, we could see something really special the second go around.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I wouldn't say the charms of the game completely stopped after leaving Hogwarts, but yeah the game did suffer from the typical open world game repetitiveness. But as I talked about in this topic before, that's not really something that can be blamed on this game. That's been the case with open world games for... years. Nobody wants to innovate open world and they're just content with copy/pasting the same stuff every where. Elden Ring did it. Skyrim did it. Ghost of Tsushima did it (love the game, but man it could have used something other than just the same fox dens, shrines, hot springs, etc. pasted every where). Same puzzles re-used constantly, same handful of enemy types used through the entire game, same dungeons copy/pasted. Just open world 101 at this point.

It would have been nice to see HL break off from that and do something different, but being their first go at such a huge open world game, I can't fault them too much for playing it safe. Maybe with the success of this game, they'll have more confidence to go out and do something different for Hogwarts Legacy 2. They should have an even bigger budget for it too, so hopefully that'll help them avoid the feeling of repetitiveness in the world.

Not a perfect game by any stretch, but considering it was their first go, they really laid the groundwork for an amazing sequel. If they can deliver on it, we could see something really special the second go around.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I would have liked the game better if they had an actual school and not a story about some overly magical kid with fantastical powers. Side quest games can be good, just look at Xenosaga. Otherwise too many of them just makes it sidequest the game, impo. 🤷‍♀️
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I would have liked the game better if they had an actual school and not a story about some overly magical kid with fantastical powers. Side quest games can be good, just look at Xenosaga. Otherwise too many of them just makes it sidequest the game, impo. 🤷‍♀️
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 21st, 2024, 04:08 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
By this I'm going to guess you mean having the school play the role of an actual school where attending lessons and such is important in general and not only used when the plot calls for it?

Also because I was reflecting on the older games when writing this post, does this game also just more or less hand your house the House Cup at the end of the school year? There was a chance in the older games for Gryffindor to not win, but the only one I recall it actually having that as a very possible outcome was CoS because you could lose house points in that game if you were caught by a prefect, but that was the only game to feature the prefect mechanic.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 21st, 2024, 04:08 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
By this I'm going to guess you mean having the school play the role of an actual school where attending lessons and such is important in general and not only used when the plot calls for it?

Also because I was reflecting on the older games when writing this post, does this game also just more or less hand your house the House Cup at the end of the school year? There was a chance in the older games for Gryffindor to not win, but the only one I recall it actually having that as a very possible outcome was CoS because you could lose house points in that game if you were caught by a prefect, but that was the only game to feature the prefect mechanic.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I had to look at the trophy list to remind me, but there is a trophy for winning the house cup, so I want to say there is the possibility of your house not winning it. If I remember correctly, I believe it's based on the grade you get at the end of the game, which is based on... I think completion percent. The more you have completed in your journal, the higher your grade will be, and you have to reach a certain amount of completion to get a high enough grade to win the House Cup.

I can't remember what the completion percent is though, because I just completed everything in the game before I finished it.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I had to look at the trophy list to remind me, but there is a trophy for winning the house cup, so I want to say there is the possibility of your house not winning it. If I remember correctly, I believe it's based on the grade you get at the end of the game, which is based on... I think completion percent. The more you have completed in your journal, the higher your grade will be, and you have to reach a certain amount of completion to get a high enough grade to win the House Cup.

I can't remember what the completion percent is though, because I just completed everything in the game before I finished it.