What Game Would You Want An Anime/Show/Movie For?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
With the NieR: Automata anime and The Last of Us show airing recently, I got the thought of what other games I would like to see get adapted into a movie/anime/TV show that have yet to do so, especially since it seems decent adaptations have been getting more common compared to say, a decade ago where I can't recall anything being more than just serviceably okay.

Now I admit with this one I don't know remotely enough about the game from a story standpoint, but I'm surprised something like Fire Emblem hasn't had an anime adaptation outside of a two episode OVA back in 1996. The franchise is clearly big and is already stylistically suited to an anime adaptation, and it looks like the Tales of franchise managed to have quite a few with one even getting a theatrical release, and like Fire Emblem the story isn't continuous across all the games. With how much Nintendo leans on Fire Emblem Awakening all the damn time I'm surprised they haven't already sought out an anime of it just to keep cashing in on that cast of characters.

Just for how beautiful it could look, I'd love to see Final Fantasy 7 get an anime. CG maybe if I have to pick a style other than anime for it but I'm not really interested much in seeing CG adaptations of games because it'll probably look exactly like the games visuals and to me it'll feel like watching just the cutscenes rather than an actual adaptation of the story into another medium. Other Final Fantasy games could absolutely get one too; I just chose FF7 because it's really the only one I know and if SE were to announce any of the games to get adapted these days FF7 would make the most sense due to the remake sequels that have yet to come out.

On the flip side, I did hear rumblings about God of War getting a TV show on Netflix, but regardless of where it happens I really can't see how that can ever work. The original trilogy would get tiring from how much gore and killing there is with not much in the way of downtime or character development, and although 2018/Ragnarök has a much bigger focus on character and story I still don't see how it would really work out. If it somehow did though, maybe whoever takes it on can fix all of the god-awful story beats and pacing problems that Ragnarök had. Whistle
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
With the NieR: Automata anime and The Last of Us show airing recently, I got the thought of what other games I would like to see get adapted into a movie/anime/TV show that have yet to do so, especially since it seems decent adaptations have been getting more common compared to say, a decade ago where I can't recall anything being more than just serviceably okay.

Now I admit with this one I don't know remotely enough about the game from a story standpoint, but I'm surprised something like Fire Emblem hasn't had an anime adaptation outside of a two episode OVA back in 1996. The franchise is clearly big and is already stylistically suited to an anime adaptation, and it looks like the Tales of franchise managed to have quite a few with one even getting a theatrical release, and like Fire Emblem the story isn't continuous across all the games. With how much Nintendo leans on Fire Emblem Awakening all the damn time I'm surprised they haven't already sought out an anime of it just to keep cashing in on that cast of characters.

Just for how beautiful it could look, I'd love to see Final Fantasy 7 get an anime. CG maybe if I have to pick a style other than anime for it but I'm not really interested much in seeing CG adaptations of games because it'll probably look exactly like the games visuals and to me it'll feel like watching just the cutscenes rather than an actual adaptation of the story into another medium. Other Final Fantasy games could absolutely get one too; I just chose FF7 because it's really the only one I know and if SE were to announce any of the games to get adapted these days FF7 would make the most sense due to the remake sequels that have yet to come out.

On the flip side, I did hear rumblings about God of War getting a TV show on Netflix, but regardless of where it happens I really can't see how that can ever work. The original trilogy would get tiring from how much gore and killing there is with not much in the way of downtime or character development, and although 2018/Ragnarök has a much bigger focus on character and story I still don't see how it would really work out. If it somehow did though, maybe whoever takes it on can fix all of the god-awful story beats and pacing problems that Ragnarök had. Whistle
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jan 27th, 2023, 01:23 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Just for how beautiful it could look, I'd love to see Final Fantasy 7 get an anime. CG maybe if I have to pick a style other than anime for it but I'm not really interested much in seeing CG adaptations of games because it'll probably look exactly like the games visuals and to me it'll feel like watching just the cutscenes rather than an actual adaptation of the story into another medium. 

Here you go, coming at you live from 2005: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children!

Jokes aside, if they actually took the plot of 7 and made an anime from it, that'd be neat. They were able to do it with Final Fantasy XV in Kingsglaive (which was actually made by the same team that did Advent Children), though I guess that's also considered a stand-alone experience as well and not a direct recreation of the game's synopsis. 

The Persona series was granted quite a bit of anime airtime, including ones that adapt the game (Persona 4: The Animation).

I'd like to see more JRPG series adapted, honestly. They're good for those that don't want to spend the hundreds of hours of time necessary to play through the games and just want the raw story.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Just for how beautiful it could look, I'd love to see Final Fantasy 7 get an anime. CG maybe if I have to pick a style other than anime for it but I'm not really interested much in seeing CG adaptations of games because it'll probably look exactly like the games visuals and to me it'll feel like watching just the cutscenes rather than an actual adaptation of the story into another medium. 

Jokes aside, if they actually took the plot of 7 and made an anime from it, that'd be neat. They were able to do it with Final Fantasy XV in Kingsglaive (which was actually made by the same team that did Advent Children), though I guess that's also considered a stand-alone experience as well and not a direct recreation of the game's synopsis. 

The Persona series was granted quite a bit of anime airtime, including ones that adapt the game (Persona 4: The Animation).

I'd like to see more JRPG series adapted, honestly. They're good for those that don't want to spend the hundreds of hours of time necessary to play through the games and just want the raw story.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 27th, 2023, 05:25 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Oh I was aware of Advent Children, but I knew it wasn't actually telling anything of the FF7 story and is a follow-up instead really, which I can't express interest for when I haven't experienced the full FF7 story for myself to know if I want to have more stories in that world.

In that case Xenoblade instantly comes to mind for me as a game that would benefit from this. JRPG's are probably one of the easiest to adapt in sense of art style since the majority of them already take on an anime art style, so the only real challenge is adapting the story into a more condensed format.

Thinking of Dead Space Remake coming out today reminded me of that game getting a couple of animated movies which are all stories that focus on things in the games outside of the main story (i.e. the downfall of the Ishimura with the initial outbreak prior to the player ever arriving), and I think a lot of games could benefit from using other mediums to expand their universes. Resident Evil for example should stop bothering to try and adapt the games into other formats because it has never worked and I don't think it ever would; but a series of one-shot animations for stories of random residents in Raccoon City could've been really good. It can't surely be any worse than the poor attempt at doing it in the RE2 Remake at least. Pokémon did a really good job with taking non-player characters and giving them short stories in animated format while main story beats were probably reserved for Ash to go through in the main anime, and it's a good way to explore other characters more without worrying about it affecting the flow of an overall story by doing it in one-shot formats.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Oh I was aware of Advent Children, but I knew it wasn't actually telling anything of the FF7 story and is a follow-up instead really, which I can't express interest for when I haven't experienced the full FF7 story for myself to know if I want to have more stories in that world.

In that case Xenoblade instantly comes to mind for me as a game that would benefit from this. JRPG's are probably one of the easiest to adapt in sense of art style since the majority of them already take on an anime art style, so the only real challenge is adapting the story into a more condensed format.

Thinking of Dead Space Remake coming out today reminded me of that game getting a couple of animated movies which are all stories that focus on things in the games outside of the main story (i.e. the downfall of the Ishimura with the initial outbreak prior to the player ever arriving), and I think a lot of games could benefit from using other mediums to expand their universes. Resident Evil for example should stop bothering to try and adapt the games into other formats because it has never worked and I don't think it ever would; but a series of one-shot animations for stories of random residents in Raccoon City could've been really good. It can't surely be any worse than the poor attempt at doing it in the RE2 Remake at least. Pokémon did a really good job with taking non-player characters and giving them short stories in animated format while main story beats were probably reserved for Ash to go through in the main anime, and it's a good way to explore other characters more without worrying about it affecting the flow of an overall story by doing it in one-shot formats.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
How about Stardew Valley?

I'm sure they could turn that into a pretty good sitcom series... the game has a good, varied cast of NPCs whose backstories could easily be fleshed out some more Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 

I'm sure they could turn that into a pretty good sitcom series... the game has a good, varied cast of NPCs whose backstories could easily be fleshed out some more Tongue .
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 30th, 2023, 12:32 AM)Kyng Wrote:

That or a series of animated shorts just showing scenarios without needing an overarching story, kind of like the Mickey Mouse shorts. It would be funny to see one just around the player character asking everyone on dates and then it ends with them being called out at their house by all the dates getting together against them when they discover what's happening.

Even just a series where each episode is about a different character like the Pokémon SwSh specials that aired on YouTube would be a good approach. Especially to fill out back story stuff that the games maybe don't cover much of.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 30th, 2023, 12:32 AM)Kyng Wrote:

That or a series of animated shorts just showing scenarios without needing an overarching story, kind of like the Mickey Mouse shorts. It would be funny to see one just around the player character asking everyone on dates and then it ends with them being called out at their house by all the dates getting together against them when they discover what's happening.

Even just a series where each episode is about a different character like the Pokémon SwSh specials that aired on YouTube would be a good approach. Especially to fill out back story stuff that the games maybe don't cover much of.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State of Play Megathread | Jan. 31 Show Announced queenzelda 81 22,508 Feb 16th, 2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Last of Us [TV Show] Moonface 38 10,724 Jan 10th, 2024, 01:17 AM
  Live Action Zelda Movie in Development Moonface 9 572 Nov 17th, 2023, 05:51 PM
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  NieR: Automata Anime Moonface 19 3,522 Jul 14th, 2023, 11:18 PM