Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232
Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
(Jul 10th, 2018, 11:57 PM)Grungie Wrote:
(Jul 10th, 2018, 02:19 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I don't really see how you can call Star Ocean 3 overrated. None of the Star Ocean games get the love they deserve. At least in the case with the first three. SO4 and SO5 don't deserve any love, so they are exactly where they should be.

And if we're talking overrated Tales games, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Graces should be mentioned long before Tales of Symphonia is.

Star Ocean 3 and Symphonia are overrated because outside of the hardcore fandom, they're basically treated like the only games that exist in the franchise. I played other games in both franchises and was somewhat disappointed in both of those games when I finally got around to those two. I do know in the Tales fandom, there's a three-way battle between Vesperia, Graces, and Abyss being the best, so Symphonia is over-glorified outside of the fandom, almost entirely because it stuck out like a sore thumb in the Gamecube library.

I haven't gotten far in Graces to give a real comment, but I will say that the beginning where you're a kid is boring as all hell. Abyss is okay, Luke is just one of the most irritating characters I've played in a game.

That confuses me, as most people I've talked to consider both Abyss and Graces to be pretty bad... myself included. As far as the best Tales goes, I'd give it to either Xillia 1 (personal preference, I know it's not looked upon that favourably), Vesperia, or Berseria. I wish I could say something nice about Zestiria. I really liked the main heroine, Alisha, but then they tossed her out of the window for some gormless, soulless chick (hi Rose).

As far as my own lists go...

Overrated: Kingdom Hearts (I'm not overly keen on the whole 'here's a bunch of Disney shit, go wild' thing), Resident Evil 7 (I played it and it was pretty cool! But still not as amazing as people made it out to be.), the Pokémon series (I love it, but it's definitely overhyped in my opinion.)

Underrated: Rune Factory (I hear a lot of people talking about Harvest Moon titles, but it's oddly rare to find someone who enjoys these!), Vagrant Story (Literally never met anyone who even knows this game, which strikes me as odd since it's a Squaresoft one.)

I'm struggling to remember others.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232 Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
I don't really see how you can call Star Ocean 3 overrated. None of the Star Ocean games get the love they deserve. At least in the case with the first three. SO4 and SO5 don't deserve any love, so they are exactly where they should be.

And if we're talking overrated Tales games, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Graces should be mentioned long before Tales of Symphonia is.

Star Ocean 3 and Symphonia are overrated because outside of the hardcore fandom, they're basically treated like the only games that exist in the franchise. I played other games in both franchises and was somewhat disappointed in both of those games when I finally got around to those two. I do know in the Tales fandom, there's a three-way battle between Vesperia, Graces, and Abyss being the best, so Symphonia is over-glorified outside of the fandom, almost entirely because it stuck out like a sore thumb in the Gamecube library.

I haven't gotten far in Graces to give a real comment, but I will say that the beginning where you're a kid is boring as all hell. Abyss is okay, Luke is just one of the most irritating characters I've played in a game.

That confuses me, as most people I've talked to consider both Abyss and Graces to be pretty bad... myself included. As far as the best Tales goes, I'd give it to either Xillia 1 (personal preference, I know it's not looked upon that favourably), Vesperia, or Berseria. I wish I could say something nice about Zestiria. I really liked the main heroine, Alisha, but then they tossed her out of the window for some gormless, soulless chick (hi Rose).

Overrated: Kingdom Hearts (I'm not overly keen on the whole 'here's a bunch of Disney shit, go wild' thing), Resident Evil 7 (I played it and it was pretty cool! But still not as amazing as people made it out to be.), the Pokémon series (I love it, but it's definitely overhyped in my opinion.)

Underrated: Rune Factory (I hear a lot of people talking about Harvest Moon titles, but it's oddly rare to find someone who enjoys these!), Vagrant Story (Literally never met anyone who even knows this game, which strikes me as odd since it's a Squaresoft one.)

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Resident Evil 7 likely got more hype than you'd expect for that sort of game because of what came before it. I expect most games that are a return to form after having a bad track record get praised more than they would if they were following on from good things.

Alien: Isolation was a pretty underrated game, mostly due to people being too wary of it after the disaster of Colonial Marines and therefore causing the game to have poor sales. Weird how a first person Resident Evil 7 game was praised, seen as a return to form for the series and sold well, but the same approach for Alien: Isolation didn't manage to reignite interest in the series despite not being a terrible game and it utilised the property faithfully and differently.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Resident Evil 7 likely got more hype than you'd expect for that sort of game because of what came before it. I expect most games that are a return to form after having a bad track record get praised more than they would if they were following on from good things.

Alien: Isolation was a pretty underrated game, mostly due to people being too wary of it after the disaster of Colonial Marines and therefore causing the game to have poor sales. Weird how a first person Resident Evil 7 game was praised, seen as a return to form for the series and sold well, but the same approach for Alien: Isolation didn't manage to reignite interest in the series despite not being a terrible game and it utilised the property faithfully and differently.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
(Jul 11th, 2018, 02:38 PM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:

Idk most of it is really Abyss vs Vesperia, Graces is really hot or miss with people, you either really love it, or hate it.

I really enjoyed Xillia too. I do know more and more people are saying they enjoyed Xillia after Zesteria and Berseria came out. It’s possible it’s like other long running franchise stuff where there’s an unofficial rule where’s the latest entry is considered garbage. Zelda and FF are perfect examples. I’m born sure how many people remember that FF9 wasn’t hated around 10 years ago, and now it’s basically at sacred cow status. Same thing with Windwaker.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer

Idk most of it is really Abyss vs Vesperia, Graces is really hot or miss with people, you either really love it, or hate it.

I really enjoyed Xillia too. I do know more and more people are saying they enjoyed Xillia after Zesteria and Berseria came out. It’s possible it’s like other long running franchise stuff where there’s an unofficial rule where’s the latest entry is considered garbage. Zelda and FF are perfect examples. I’m born sure how many people remember that FF9 wasn’t hated around 10 years ago, and now it’s basically at sacred cow status. Same thing with Windwaker.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

I can't agree with you on Kingdom Hearts. Too many people dismiss it because "hurr durr gotta hate anything Disney." I'm no fan of Disney myself, but to completely ignore all of the really good things about Kingdom Hearts because you're too blind to look past the Disney logo is just stupid.

I can agree with you on Vagrant Story being underrated though.

Also Tales of Berseria is considered by a large portion of the fan base to be the best Tales came since Vesperia, so I think that kind of proves the whole having to hate the latest entry of the series theory false.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

I can't agree with you on Kingdom Hearts. Too many people dismiss it because "hurr durr gotta hate anything Disney." I'm no fan of Disney myself, but to completely ignore all of the really good things about Kingdom Hearts because you're too blind to look past the Disney logo is just stupid.

I can agree with you on Vagrant Story being underrated though.

Also Tales of Berseria is considered by a large portion of the fan base to be the best Tales came since Vesperia, so I think that kind of proves the whole having to hate the latest entry of the series theory false.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
(Jul 11th, 2018, 11:54 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

We must be in vastly different circles because a metric fuck ton of people say Berseria is garbage.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer

We must be in vastly different circles because a metric fuck ton of people say Berseria is garbage.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Graces is best Tales. Except Asbel. Having him voices by Bruce Papenbrook was such a mistake. Although my friends already know Abyss is my favorite. Luke sucks until he fucks up majorly and completely 180s.

Berseria was miles above Zestiria but I like the Zestiria story better, especially the anime.

As for overrated games, def FF7 for me. I mean it was the first 3d FF so I get it but ugh.

and underrated. I might hear shit for it, but Lightning Returns was tons of fun for me. Redeemed FF13 imo.

now I only picked two but obv i have more. can't think of them atm though lol
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Graces is best Tales. Except Asbel. Having him voices by Bruce Papenbrook was such a mistake. Although my friends already know Abyss is my favorite. Luke sucks until he fucks up majorly and completely 180s.

Berseria was miles above Zestiria but I like the Zestiria story better, especially the anime.

As for overrated games, def FF7 for me. I mean it was the first 3d FF so I get it but ugh.

and underrated. I might hear shit for it, but Lightning Returns was tons of fun for me. Redeemed FF13 imo.

now I only picked two but obv i have more. can't think of them atm though lol
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
Underrated: Heroes of Might and Magic 6. Most of M&M fans seem to hate this game with a burning passion, but frankly this game is not as bad as people say it is. Perhaps there are some things that would work better if changed, but overall it is a pretty nice game.
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
Underrated: Heroes of Might and Magic 6. Most of M&M fans seem to hate this game with a burning passion, but frankly this game is not as bad as people say it is. Perhaps there are some things that would work better if changed, but overall it is a pretty nice game.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 12:21 AM)Grungie Wrote:

If my metric fuck ton of people, you mean Abyss fanboys, then yes. But they are Abyss fanboys. They don't know what having a good or correct opinion is. Graces fanboys fall into the same category as well. Their opinions don't count. They're just mad that there's yet another Tales game that's so much better than Abyss/Graces.

(Jul 12th, 2018, 06:18 PM)Monocle Wrote:

The anime doesn't count. They had to do a complete do over on the entire story and incorporate many parts of Berseria's story into it to make it any good. That and all the anime did was changed all the parts fans were butthurt over so they'd stop crying. Not really much of an improvement.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 12:21 AM)Grungie Wrote:

If my metric fuck ton of people, you mean Abyss fanboys, then yes. But they are Abyss fanboys. They don't know what having a good or correct opinion is. Graces fanboys fall into the same category as well. Their opinions don't count. They're just mad that there's yet another Tales game that's so much better than Abyss/Graces.

(Jul 12th, 2018, 06:18 PM)Monocle Wrote:

The anime doesn't count. They had to do a complete do over on the entire story and incorporate many parts of Berseria's story into it to make it any good. That and all the anime did was changed all the parts fans were butthurt over so they'd stop crying. Not really much of an improvement.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
People don’t know what a correct opinion is because it doesn’t exist.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
People don’t know what a correct opinion is because it doesn’t exist.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 11 421 Apr 11th, 2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 28 8,394 Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:44 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 674 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 132 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 798 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM