King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Last I knew Gamestop fired a lot of their District Managers & RL's; & their stock is hovering around $3.80! I just don't see GS recovering at this point tbh.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Last I knew Gamestop fired a lot of their District Managers & RL's; & their stock is hovering around $3.80! I just don't see GS recovering at this point tbh.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I mean, as a last-ditch effort, I can see this being the most viable way of trying to dig themselves out. Hosting local scenes, especially with the fighting game community (as I know my local scene is home to many thriving Smash players), would definitely garner in some traffic depending on the locations.

I'm not too concerned about the retro games being extortionate. They have a large online stock of retro games already and they're actually reasonably priced; nostalgia also sells super hard, so I can imagine that would be a very popular section amongst "casual" or former gamers.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I mean, as a last-ditch effort, I can see this being the most viable way of trying to dig themselves out. Hosting local scenes, especially with the fighting game community (as I know my local scene is home to many thriving Smash players), would definitely garner in some traffic depending on the locations.

I'm not too concerned about the retro games being extortionate. They have a large online stock of retro games already and they're actually reasonably priced; nostalgia also sells super hard, so I can imagine that would be a very popular section amongst "casual" or former gamers.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,647
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wouldn't be surprised if the experiments that work out the best are the ones Gamestop uses going forward, and they proceed to ditch the rest and minimise the number of stores that don't adopt the new plan.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,647 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wouldn't be surprised if the experiments that work out the best are the ones Gamestop uses going forward, and they proceed to ditch the rest and minimise the number of stores that don't adopt the new plan.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Things just got worse...

King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Things just got worse...

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Doubt they'll get better at this point. Even if the plans for those new stores were to work, I think it's going to be too late.

Edit: It got worse already. Gamestop are closing up to 200 stores worldwide as a result of this development by the years end, with more still planned to occur beyond that.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Doubt they'll get better at this point. Even if the plans for those new stores were to work, I think it's going to be too late.

Edit: It got worse already. Gamestop are closing up to 200 stores worldwide as a result of this development by the years end, with more still planned to occur beyond that.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a Gamestop employee has put out a video via Facebook of a store that will be opening tomorrow featuring the redesigned layout and appearance: https://www.facebook.com/GameStopPryorPlaza/videos/vb.1989766337812623/2160950194204050

It feels a little sterile, but that may be because it's just completely empty and quiet. It looks far more presentable than any Gamestop I've seen though, especially when it comes to the merchandise. I think the retro area in the back will help with getting people in the door; however, it won't necessarily solve the issue of sales, which is what Gamestop needs to resolve to turn itself around. I'd like to see the demise of the bullshit that goes on behind the scenes of a Gamestop so that I don't have to feel pity for the people I see standing behind the counter. Feeling like I'm expected to buy something or being jumped on the instant I enter the store is a massive turn off for me and a reason I hated entering a Game store in the UK.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a Gamestop employee has put out a video via Facebook of a store that will be opening tomorrow featuring the redesigned layout and appearance: https://www.facebook.com/GameStopPryorPlaza/videos/vb.1989766337812623/2160950194204050

It feels a little sterile, but that may be because it's just completely empty and quiet. It looks far more presentable than any Gamestop I've seen though, especially when it comes to the merchandise. I think the retro area in the back will help with getting people in the door; however, it won't necessarily solve the issue of sales, which is what Gamestop needs to resolve to turn itself around. I'd like to see the demise of the bullshit that goes on behind the scenes of a Gamestop so that I don't have to feel pity for the people I see standing behind the counter. Feeling like I'm expected to buy something or being jumped on the instant I enter the store is a massive turn off for me and a reason I hated entering a Game store in the UK.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Idk, I kind of doubt that re-branding Gamestop is going to help anything. From how I understand it, you have to be a Pro member just to be able to sit down at those game tables & if that's so you could just go to your local comic book store just to play your favorite card game: for free. Tongue Otherwise, I could just stay home & play on what ever console I want since I own a lot of older ones anyway. So it's kind of pointless impo.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Idk, I kind of doubt that re-branding Gamestop is going to help anything. From how I understand it, you have to be a Pro member just to be able to sit down at those game tables & if that's so you could just go to your local comic book store just to play your favorite card game: for free. Tongue Otherwise, I could just stay home & play on what ever console I want since I own a lot of older ones anyway. So it's kind of pointless impo.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The card games is a fair point, but not everyone owns every console. I expect most kids born in the mid-2000's don't have anything older than a PS3 unless their parents already owned something older than that.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The card games is a fair point, but not everyone owns every console. I expect most kids born in the mid-2000's don't have anything older than a PS3 unless their parents already owned something older than that.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Yea, but you have to pay $20 for a Power Pro reward's card that isn't worth the price anymore since you no longer get it's 'Game Informer' magazine since they nixed it a month ago. Not to mention that you no longer get 10% off used games, just a $5 off games coupon. Besides, I'm doubtful that Gamestop will live past 2020, so investing in a Power Pro rewards card when Gamestop will most likely go under before 2021 seems a bit pointless impo.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Yea, but you have to pay $20 for a Power Pro reward's card that isn't worth the price anymore since you no longer get it's 'Game Informer' magazine since they nixed it a month ago. Not to mention that you no longer get 10% off used games, just a $5 off games coupon. Besides, I'm doubtful that Gamestop will live past 2020, so investing in a Power Pro rewards card when Gamestop will most likely go under before 2021 seems a bit pointless impo.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the layout is super clean and neat, and would hope the retro section would definitely get more people to come in, though I don't agree with it being in the back of the store. If you want window-shoppers to come waltzing in, put that shit right in the front window so people can crowd, think "Oh man, I remember that!," come inside and then become a potential customer.

Though if they really are gating off usage behind that paywall, that won't work out for them very well. I can't imagine they can be that stupid as to miss out on the full opportunity this would bring in, but after everything I've heard from Gamestop's nonsense, I suppose nothing is beyond them. Just a shame, since I think overall this is a very neat plan and layout.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the layout is super clean and neat, and would hope the retro section would definitely get more people to come in, though I don't agree with it being in the back of the store. If you want window-shoppers to come waltzing in, put that shit right in the front window so people can crowd, think "Oh man, I remember that!," come inside and then become a potential customer.

Though if they really are gating off usage behind that paywall, that won't work out for them very well. I can't imagine they can be that stupid as to miss out on the full opportunity this would bring in, but after everything I've heard from Gamestop's nonsense, I suppose nothing is beyond them. Just a shame, since I think overall this is a very neat plan and layout.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Well I watch someone on youtube who has Gamestop insider information who said that's what the higher ups want them to do. He also thinks that once all of the stores are sold & Gamestop shows a bit of an upturn in stock everyone who owns stock for it is going to sell it & gtfo; leaving GS to sink when all the dust settles.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
Well I watch someone on youtube who has Gamestop insider information who said that's what the higher ups want them to do. He also thinks that once all of the stores are sold & Gamestop shows a bit of an upturn in stock everyone who owns stock for it is going to sell it & gtfo; leaving GS to sink when all the dust settles.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Sep 21st, 2019, 03:47 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

from a business standpoint though, putting it in the back makes sense. they're a big corporation with repeat shoppers. compared to other retailers, they have a niche group who shops there. Knowing that, they know their customers are in the know about the plans which means they're already coming in to see the retro section. to get there, they have to pass the entire store which usually leads to shopping and compulsive purchases.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

from a business standpoint though, putting it in the back makes sense. they're a big corporation with repeat shoppers. compared to other retailers, they have a niche group who shops there. Knowing that, they know their customers are in the know about the plans which means they're already coming in to see the retro section. to get there, they have to pass the entire store which usually leads to shopping and compulsive purchases.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You make a good point, but like @Monocle said, from a business perspective it actually makes more sense to put it in the back. There's a reason any grocery store has milk in the back, and usually bread in the back too. It's because you have to walk the entire store to reach it, and that means seeing everything else on sale before you get to what you want. People won't necessarily want to go through a store once they reach what they wanted, but they will go through a whole store to get to what they want.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
You make a good point, but like @Monocle said, from a business perspective it actually makes more sense to put it in the back. There's a reason any grocery store has milk in the back, and usually bread in the back too. It's because you have to walk the entire store to reach it, and that means seeing everything else on sale before you get to what you want. People won't necessarily want to go through a store once they reach what they wanted, but they will go through a whole store to get to what they want.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
IGN put up an article today about Gamestop's continued plans for new store approaches, and there's some interesting points in there.

Quote:“For instance, those console launches, in an experiential store we can take out all of the old PS4s and Xbox Ones and put in the new PS5 and the new Xbox [Series X]. And folks can come in and experience for the first time these consoles before they ever buy them.”
Quote:GameStop is kicking around ideas about how to get early betas into the stores and potentially host livestream events directly with developers on major launch nights. “On a title launch night, the ability to have an immersive, media-first store experience means that in these experiential stores these launch nights are going to be incredibly powerful because you can have clinics around the developers talking about maps, strategies, etc within the game.”
Having the new consoles set up on say, launch night would be a big hit I think. Instead of people sitting outside in lines, you could extend the lines inside and let people take turns playing games, and getting to try the new consoles while you wait to buy one could be pretty enticing. The developer stuff is iffier because I don't think they're going to manage to get developers to go to every state where stores are located; they're probably going to want to hang out in a store near the offices. So it's cool but that one sounds limited for its scope.

I think this may have come up before, but this is still interesting to me:

Quote:GameStop 2.0
The foundational new GameStop 2.0 store concept dramatically cleans up the traditional GameStop layout and adds new community spaces. Cleaner, more accessible retail space is joined by couch co-op gaming on large TVs, a new hands-on accessories wall, tabletop gaming, and up to a dozen gaming bays where visitors can sit down to play games together on PC, Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch.

GameStop Social
GameStop Social features two couch co-op gaming setups and 36 gaming bays where visitors can sit down to play games together on PC, Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch. GameStop Social is designed for watch parties, esports tournaments, coding classes, vacation camps, birthday parties, and more.

GameStop Retro
A new store concept built on the foundation of GameStop 2.0, GameStop Retro is specifically designed to collect the best library of pre-owned games from the Tulsa area. Displays of the best modern games are supported by hundreds of classic games and consoles, as well as four gaming bays that feature CRT televisions and a wide variety of old-school gaming consoles.

GameStop Pop!
GameStop Pop! was designed with the hardcore collector in mind. There are still games and couch co-op gaming, but the shelves are filled with exclusive gaming collectibles, apparel, and accessories.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
IGN put up an article today about Gamestop's continued plans for new store approaches, and there's some interesting points in there.

Quote:“For instance, those console launches, in an experiential store we can take out all of the old PS4s and Xbox Ones and put in the new PS5 and the new Xbox [Series X]. And folks can come in and experience for the first time these consoles before they ever buy them.”
Quote:GameStop is kicking around ideas about how to get early betas into the stores and potentially host livestream events directly with developers on major launch nights. “On a title launch night, the ability to have an immersive, media-first store experience means that in these experiential stores these launch nights are going to be incredibly powerful because you can have clinics around the developers talking about maps, strategies, etc within the game.”
Having the new consoles set up on say, launch night would be a big hit I think. Instead of people sitting outside in lines, you could extend the lines inside and let people take turns playing games, and getting to try the new consoles while you wait to buy one could be pretty enticing. The developer stuff is iffier because I don't think they're going to manage to get developers to go to every state where stores are located; they're probably going to want to hang out in a store near the offices. So it's cool but that one sounds limited for its scope.

I think this may have come up before, but this is still interesting to me:

Quote:GameStop 2.0
The foundational new GameStop 2.0 store concept dramatically cleans up the traditional GameStop layout and adds new community spaces. Cleaner, more accessible retail space is joined by couch co-op gaming on large TVs, a new hands-on accessories wall, tabletop gaming, and up to a dozen gaming bays where visitors can sit down to play games together on PC, Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch.

GameStop Social
GameStop Social features two couch co-op gaming setups and 36 gaming bays where visitors can sit down to play games together on PC, Xbox One, PS4, or Nintendo Switch. GameStop Social is designed for watch parties, esports tournaments, coding classes, vacation camps, birthday parties, and more.

GameStop Retro
A new store concept built on the foundation of GameStop 2.0, GameStop Retro is specifically designed to collect the best library of pre-owned games from the Tulsa area. Displays of the best modern games are supported by hundreds of classic games and consoles, as well as four gaming bays that feature CRT televisions and a wide variety of old-school gaming consoles.

GameStop Pop!
GameStop Pop! was designed with the hardcore collector in mind. There are still games and couch co-op gaming, but the shelves are filled with exclusive gaming collectibles, apparel, and accessories.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Reggie has been appointed as a member of Gamestop's Board of Directors:

Highly unexpected, but if this can't benefit Gamestop I don't know what will.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Reggie has been appointed as a member of Gamestop's Board of Directors:

Highly unexpected, but if this can't benefit Gamestop I don't know what will.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The GameStop Stock Wars Moonface 8 3,472 Feb 1st, 2021, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord