Console Libraries: Quality or Quantity?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,619
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Picture this for a moment; you go to a restaurant and get presented with one of two choices.
  1. Ten sirloin steaks
  2. Three filet mignons
Maybe not the best example I can give, but the general gist here is you can either get a bigger quantity of what most people would say is a lower quality cut of steak, or a better quality cut of steak but the quantity is lower.

Now take that and apply it to the idea of a library of games for a console. Would you rather have a bigger library if it meant fewer games you consider to be high quality, or would you be more interested in a library that's notably smaller but it's made up of more games you find to be better?

I got this thought after a recent interview Phil Spencer had where he said having big exclusives alone isn't enough, which I would say he's right about since if you look at the Wii U the thing had some amazing games but sold terribly, but Game Pass offers a huge amount of games for a ridiculously good price but that by itself is also not apparently enough to shift Xbox units to compete with Sony and Nintendo (Phil's words about Xbox not being able to best Sony and Nintendo, not mine, and for context this was about not besting them in the sense that with digital libraries and cross-gen libraries it's hard to convince people to switch between ecosystems no matter what company you are).

Obviously, the best solution is a middle-ground between both quality and quantity, but I'm curious that if you could only veer one way or the other which end would you rather go for?

Personally I think I'd rather take quantity, since I'm not saying that a higher quantity means you're just being given a load of garbage shovelware to play. But if it was something like the Wii U where there's amazing games but my console becomes a paper weight for extended periods while I wait for the next game to come along, I'd rather have a bigger selection to play. Especially since if a game came out I don't perhaps care for, my fallback options are fewer. I recall during the PS3 generation that I was always bothered how small my library was compared to my PS2 library, even though my PS3 library probably has a lot more games I'd consider to be of higher quality than my PS2 library. I just disliked the periods of playing the same old shit because nothing was coming out I cared for and the range of choice felt smaller too, which isn't something I really had with my PS2. Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,619 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Picture this for a moment; you go to a restaurant and get presented with one of two choices.
  1. Ten sirloin steaks
  2. Three filet mignons
Maybe not the best example I can give, but the general gist here is you can either get a bigger quantity of what most people would say is a lower quality cut of steak, or a better quality cut of steak but the quantity is lower.

Now take that and apply it to the idea of a library of games for a console. Would you rather have a bigger library if it meant fewer games you consider to be high quality, or would you be more interested in a library that's notably smaller but it's made up of more games you find to be better?

I got this thought after a recent interview Phil Spencer had where he said having big exclusives alone isn't enough, which I would say he's right about since if you look at the Wii U the thing had some amazing games but sold terribly, but Game Pass offers a huge amount of games for a ridiculously good price but that by itself is also not apparently enough to shift Xbox units to compete with Sony and Nintendo (Phil's words about Xbox not being able to best Sony and Nintendo, not mine, and for context this was about not besting them in the sense that with digital libraries and cross-gen libraries it's hard to convince people to switch between ecosystems no matter what company you are).

Obviously, the best solution is a middle-ground between both quality and quantity, but I'm curious that if you could only veer one way or the other which end would you rather go for?

Personally I think I'd rather take quantity, since I'm not saying that a higher quantity means you're just being given a load of garbage shovelware to play. But if it was something like the Wii U where there's amazing games but my console becomes a paper weight for extended periods while I wait for the next game to come along, I'd rather have a bigger selection to play. Especially since if a game came out I don't perhaps care for, my fallback options are fewer. I recall during the PS3 generation that I was always bothered how small my library was compared to my PS2 library, even though my PS3 library probably has a lot more games I'd consider to be of higher quality than my PS2 library. I just disliked the periods of playing the same old shit because nothing was coming out I cared for and the range of choice felt smaller too, which isn't something I really had with my PS2. Unsure
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,728
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Quality 100%. I'd rather only have 5 high-quality exclusives for my PS5 than have 20 mediocre ones. I'd feel like the purchase of the system was worth it more that way than the other way.

Even now I don't think I have more than one or two exclusives for my PS5 and I still feel like my purchase of the system was more than worth it. If Final Fantasy XVI ends up being as good as it looks, then that alone would make it worth it for me.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,728 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Quality 100%. I'd rather only have 5 high-quality exclusives for my PS5 than have 20 mediocre ones. I'd feel like the purchase of the system was worth it more that way than the other way.

Even now I don't think I have more than one or two exclusives for my PS5 and I still feel like my purchase of the system was more than worth it. If Final Fantasy XVI ends up being as good as it looks, then that alone would make it worth it for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If a Third-Party Publisher Made a Console... Moonface 4 204 Mar 9th, 2024, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Which Console Had The Best Launch Line-Up? Moonface 3 553 Sep 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
  If Sega Didn't Leave The Console Business When They Did? Moonface 0 453 Jun 10th, 2023, 11:18 PM
  Do You Use Console Screenshot/Video Capture? Moonface 4 839 May 27th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Do You Keep Your Console Packaging? Moonface 8 1,571 Mar 12th, 2023, 08:13 PM