Poll: Which Do You Lean More Towards?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Optimist
25.00%
1 25.00%
Pessimist
75.00%
3 75.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Optimist or Pessimist?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

An interesting brief little sciency video about how genes can play a factor in this matter.

So which do you tend to be more like? I think I probably lean more towards pessimist, because I rarely look at something just positively. Therapy has been making it better over the last year+, but I know I have a habit of not getting excited for things too well until any possibility of something going wrong is impossible to happen. Even with a 4.0 GPA at college I still continue to be pessimistic about what my next grade is going to be until I hear before grading that my work is good, or see a good grade entered for it if I don't get any feedback until I get the grade itself. Not to say I don't have any optimism, but I just rarely buy into that without always considering it not working out for whatever reason. Sweat
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

An interesting brief little sciency video about how genes can play a factor in this matter.

So which do you tend to be more like? I think I probably lean more towards pessimist, because I rarely look at something just positively. Therapy has been making it better over the last year+, but I know I have a habit of not getting excited for things too well until any possibility of something going wrong is impossible to happen. Even with a 4.0 GPA at college I still continue to be pessimistic about what my next grade is going to be until I hear before grading that my work is good, or see a good grade entered for it if I don't get any feedback until I get the grade itself. Not to say I don't have any optimism, but I just rarely buy into that without always considering it not working out for whatever reason. Sweat
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've always been a pessimist. I guess it's because I'm a mathematician, and mathematics is an inherently pessimistic discipline: we're not allowed to accept anything unless we can absolutely prove it Tongue . Although, I don't think that's a healthy approach to the real world.

I try to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst - which I guess is a healthier outlook than outright pessimism!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've always been a pessimist. I guess it's because I'm a mathematician, and mathematics is an inherently pessimistic discipline: we're not allowed to accept anything unless we can absolutely prove it Tongue . Although, I don't think that's a healthy approach to the real world.

I try to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst - which I guess is a healthier outlook than outright pessimism!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 7th, 2023, 10:40 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Yeah, that's an outlook I've had for a long time. Unfortunately when my anxiety was really bad a few years ago my mind would get transfixed on the worst outcomes and put me in a state of panic. Doh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 7th, 2023, 10:40 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Yeah, that's an outlook I've had for a long time. Unfortunately when my anxiety was really bad a few years ago my mind would get transfixed on the worst outcomes and put me in a state of panic. Doh
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm optimistically pessimistic.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm optimistically pessimistic.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I dislike the simple "Half Full vs Half Empty" analogy as for that particular "argument" I'd always go for y glass/drink is half full, however overall of the Optimist or Pessimist, I lean over into Pessimist more.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I dislike the simple "Half Full vs Half Empty" analogy as for that particular "argument" I'd always go for y glass/drink is half full, however overall of the Optimist or Pessimist, I lean over into Pessimist more.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 10th, 2023, 08:50 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I dislike the simple "Half Full vs Half Empty" analogy as for that particular "argument" I'd always go for y glass/drink is half full...
For me whether the glass is half full or half empty sometimes comes down to what it started as. If I fill a glass only halfway, it's half full. If I fill it fully but empty half of it by drinking it I'm calling it half empty because I emptied half of it. Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 10th, 2023, 08:50 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I dislike the simple "Half Full vs Half Empty" analogy as for that particular "argument" I'd always go for y glass/drink is half full...
For me whether the glass is half full or half empty sometimes comes down to what it started as. If I fill a glass only halfway, it's half full. If I fill it fully but empty half of it by drinking it I'm calling it half empty because I emptied half of it. Tongue