What Was Your School Mascot?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Thought of this the other day but my mood was too shit to feel like posting it. So in the UK, our schools don't have mascots because at no point in our education system do we make a big deal about sports. No college/university campus for example is going to be having a stadium and kids getting free rides via playing on a sports team and such, and we don't make a big deal of it at any other stage in school either. It's just sorta....there really. So since it's a thing for practically every school to have one in the US I'm curious what everyone who isn't like myself, @Mr EliteL or @Kyng (hint: from the UK) had as their school mascot(s).

Despite being from the UK though, I actually do get to share a mascot in this thread of my own because of going to college here in the US. Actually it's two mascots because I completely forgot the first college I went to before my current one did actually have a mascot, it just isn't as memorable to me as my current one. Tongue

So the first college I went to had a seahawk as their mascot, which looks like this when used in the college's logo but I can't say I really recall seeing it used very often:

[Image: VU8z7Zh.png]

Even the website for that college isn't using the mascot, so yeah I guess they just use it for sporting stuff and not much else which is why I barely remembered it.
And yes, most if not all school mascots in the US have an actual costume for it that gets worn to sporting events, so here he is, Sammy the Seahawk:

[Image: UjWnUo9.png]

Meanwhile, where I currently study has an owl for their mascot, and they use it a lot beyond just sport stuff because every student is called an "owl", our student ID card is literally called an "owl card", and the university has it as a standard part of their logo:

[Image: ef1P3VL.png]

And here he is in all his glory, Owlsley! Grin

[Image: dRuwqlz.png]

I won't lie, at first I found the whole mascot thing really stupid and was not on board of being called an "owl" and stuff, but I admit it has grown on me and I actually take a little bit of pride in it now. Sigh
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Thought of this the other day but my mood was too shit to feel like posting it. So in the UK, our schools don't have mascots because at no point in our education system do we make a big deal about sports. No college/university campus for example is going to be having a stadium and kids getting free rides via playing on a sports team and such, and we don't make a big deal of it at any other stage in school either. It's just sorta....there really. So since it's a thing for practically every school to have one in the US I'm curious what everyone who isn't like myself, @Mr EliteL or @Kyng (hint: from the UK) had as their school mascot(s).

Despite being from the UK though, I actually do get to share a mascot in this thread of my own because of going to college here in the US. Actually it's two mascots because I completely forgot the first college I went to before my current one did actually have a mascot, it just isn't as memorable to me as my current one. Tongue

So the first college I went to had a seahawk as their mascot, which looks like this when used in the college's logo but I can't say I really recall seeing it used very often:

[Image: VU8z7Zh.png]

Even the website for that college isn't using the mascot, so yeah I guess they just use it for sporting stuff and not much else which is why I barely remembered it.
And yes, most if not all school mascots in the US have an actual costume for it that gets worn to sporting events, so here he is, Sammy the Seahawk:

[Image: UjWnUo9.png]

Meanwhile, where I currently study has an owl for their mascot, and they use it a lot beyond just sport stuff because every student is called an "owl", our student ID card is literally called an "owl card", and the university has it as a standard part of their logo:

[Image: ef1P3VL.png]

And here he is in all his glory, Owlsley! Grin

[Image: dRuwqlz.png]

I won't lie, at first I found the whole mascot thing really stupid and was not on board of being called an "owl" and stuff, but I admit it has grown on me and I actually take a little bit of pride in it now. Sigh
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Perhaps if I was in an academy or...anything that could have a mascot (outside of gaming and other such franchises) I'd be more into the idea of having such a thing be a part of supporting what we're doing. OK, when I see it on shows and stuff it's usually good watching a side come out to announcement of their group, music, cheerleaders, mascot then the players themselves finally enter to their supporters hyping them up. Perhaps UK should've adopted that idea so there's some more fun in sports instead of....taking things too seriously and have riots in those somewhat rare instances. Ah, who knows really, probably still would happen.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Perhaps if I was in an academy or...anything that could have a mascot (outside of gaming and other such franchises) I'd be more into the idea of having such a thing be a part of supporting what we're doing. OK, when I see it on shows and stuff it's usually good watching a side come out to announcement of their group, music, cheerleaders, mascot then the players themselves finally enter to their supporters hyping them up. Perhaps UK should've adopted that idea so there's some more fun in sports instead of....taking things too seriously and have riots in those somewhat rare instances. Ah, who knows really, probably still would happen.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah we had mascots for every school we attended, elementary to post-secondary institutions. I've had.. 4 mascots from my schools growing up. I went to two (three, if we count private) elementary schools, so there's an extra mascot in there.

Elementary 1: Eagles
Elementary 2: Roadrunners (yes, that Roadrunner from Looney Tunes. No, I don't know how they logistically were allowed to do this)
Middle: Stars
High: Cobras

My college was a private and didn't have sports teams so I didn't have a mascot for that. Though, my school did get absorbed into a bigger private institution that does have a mascot for their NCAA Division teams: Fighting Knights
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,207 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah we had mascots for every school we attended, elementary to post-secondary institutions. I've had.. 4 mascots from my schools growing up. I went to two (three, if we count private) elementary schools, so there's an extra mascot in there.

Elementary 2: Roadrunners (yes, that Roadrunner from Looney Tunes. No, I don't know how they logistically were allowed to do this)

My college was a private and didn't have sports teams so I didn't have a mascot for that. Though, my school did get absorbed into a bigger private institution that does have a mascot for their NCAA Division teams: Fighting Knights
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 21st, 2023, 01:46 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Perhaps UK should've adopted that idea so there's some more fun in sports instead of....taking things too seriously and have riots in those somewhat rare instances. Ah, who knows really, probably still would happen.
I think even with it being adopted into sporting events that schools themselves wouldn't get mascots still, or it would at least be super rare because of how little attention is given to school sports. College football is big enough in the US it gets the entire season aired on TV behind a subscription that clearly attracts enough buyers to be profitable. Not that the profit is surprising when college sports are among the most profitable things any college can do and why most players get a free ride scholarship.

(May 21st, 2023, 11:25 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I still really want to find out somehow if the school using the literal Roadrunner character has any legal standing to do it. A quick Google search indicates it is not free to use and any school that showed up in an image search using the Warner Bros. rendition of the character has actually changed it when you visit their websites, which makes me wonder if they got caught or just wised up before they do.

Also @Mr EliteL I was wondering what mascot our secondary school might have used and I think the best thing would be a knight. According to Wikipedia "the school bears the name of the Norman knight who was granted the land of the local area for his role in the Norman Conquest; the badge is his shield." It would tie in with the school badge easily and there's also nothing else that would have a relation as a mascot so it would just be something chosen randomly like a lot of schools in the US do; for example, Shira's high school using a cobra has absolutely no reasoning whatsoever except they thought it was a cool animal. LOL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 21st, 2023, 01:46 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Perhaps UK should've adopted that idea so there's some more fun in sports instead of....taking things too seriously and have riots in those somewhat rare instances. Ah, who knows really, probably still would happen.
I think even with it being adopted into sporting events that schools themselves wouldn't get mascots still, or it would at least be super rare because of how little attention is given to school sports. College football is big enough in the US it gets the entire season aired on TV behind a subscription that clearly attracts enough buyers to be profitable. Not that the profit is surprising when college sports are among the most profitable things any college can do and why most players get a free ride scholarship.

(May 21st, 2023, 11:25 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I still really want to find out somehow if the school using the literal Roadrunner character has any legal standing to do it. A quick Google search indicates it is not free to use and any school that showed up in an image search using the Warner Bros. rendition of the character has actually changed it when you visit their websites, which makes me wonder if they got caught or just wised up before they do.

Also @Mr EliteL I was wondering what mascot our secondary school might have used and I think the best thing would be a knight. According to Wikipedia "the school bears the name of the Norman knight who was granted the land of the local area for his role in the Norman Conquest; the badge is his shield." It would tie in with the school badge easily and there's also nothing else that would have a relation as a mascot so it would just be something chosen randomly like a lot of schools in the US do; for example, Shira's high school using a cobra has absolutely no reasoning whatsoever except they thought it was a cool animal. LOL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would You Attend a School Reunion? Moonface 9 338 Feb 23rd, 2024, 01:40 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  School Moonface 33 19,981 Feb 11th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Moonface