Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Pull My Strings - Dead Kennedys

So, this song has a story. This song was only performed once by the band, at the Bay Area Music Awards in 1980. See, the band was brought in to give the show some "New Wave credibility" (New Wave being the term used to describe the fragmenting Punk scene, later being co-opted by the Synthpop scene to describe the more DIY and artsy bands). So, they asked the Dead Kennedys to play their smash hit, California Uber Alles, at the show. Why anyone thought a band named "Dead Kennedys" would play nice, or thought a good idea for a song performance was the song about the Governor of California becoming a Hippie Nazi after becoming president, no one knows. It would be like signing a band named "Butthole Surfers" expecting them to print money. ...Wait, what do you mean that actually happened?!

Sadly, this was 1980, so no video recording exists that I know of, but witness testimony and the legendary photo tell the story. They came out in white t-shirts with a big "S" painted on them. Then, after interrupting the beginning of California Uber Alles, they pulled ties from behind them to the front, turning that "S" into a "$", and proceeded into Pull My Strings, which is a song mocking the trend of pop stars seemingly "manufactured" by the music industry (the audience had a few music bigwigs in it). This came to the shock of absolutely no one who actually knew who the Dead Kennedys were. This is the same band who released a song about venturing to Cambodia while the Khmer Rouge were ruling, where he actually says the N word (in his defense -- and I will always defend this context -- he's using it as a mocking quote of the yuppie youth who "idolize" people from downtrodden upbringings. "Bragging that you know how the ******s feel cold and the slums got so much soul")!

Slightly related side note, I'm surprised that during the Black Lives Matter protests, we didn't see a viral surge of people posting Police Truck by Dead Kennedys. That's a song about corrupt cops going around town, performing brutal acts while hiding behind their badge (it was a satirical play on REAL EVENTS, too!). AND THAT'S NOT EVEN THE ONLY SONG ON THAT ALBUM CALLING OUT COPS!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Pull My Strings - Dead Kennedys

So, this song has a story. This song was only performed once by the band, at the Bay Area Music Awards in 1980. See, the band was brought in to give the show some "New Wave credibility" (New Wave being the term used to describe the fragmenting Punk scene, later being co-opted by the Synthpop scene to describe the more DIY and artsy bands). So, they asked the Dead Kennedys to play their smash hit, California Uber Alles, at the show. Why anyone thought a band named "Dead Kennedys" would play nice, or thought a good idea for a song performance was the song about the Governor of California becoming a Hippie Nazi after becoming president, no one knows. It would be like signing a band named "Butthole Surfers" expecting them to print money. ...Wait, what do you mean that actually happened?!

Sadly, this was 1980, so no video recording exists that I know of, but witness testimony and the legendary photo tell the story. They came out in white t-shirts with a big "S" painted on them. Then, after interrupting the beginning of California Uber Alles, they pulled ties from behind them to the front, turning that "S" into a "$", and proceeded into Pull My Strings, which is a song mocking the trend of pop stars seemingly "manufactured" by the music industry (the audience had a few music bigwigs in it). This came to the shock of absolutely no one who actually knew who the Dead Kennedys were. This is the same band who released a song about venturing to Cambodia while the Khmer Rouge were ruling, where he actually says the N word (in his defense -- and I will always defend this context -- he's using it as a mocking quote of the yuppie youth who "idolize" people from downtrodden upbringings. "Bragging that you know how the ******s feel cold and the slums got so much soul")!

Slightly related side note, I'm surprised that during the Black Lives Matter protests, we didn't see a viral surge of people posting Police Truck by Dead Kennedys. That's a song about corrupt cops going around town, performing brutal acts while hiding behind their badge (it was a satirical play on REAL EVENTS, too!). AND THAT'S NOT EVEN THE ONLY SONG ON THAT ALBUM CALLING OUT COPS!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 28th, 2022, 03:16 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Aw, I love that song in Burnout Revenge. Really cool song; wonky time signatures, guitars distorted and downtuned, and just the right amount of scream.

Memory - Sugarcult

I actually do remember how I found this song; it was a Kingdom Hearts joke compilation on the early days of Youtube. Jesus, that was, like, 15 years ago, now? ...I'm old.
I'm surprised you found that song on a KH video rather than through Burnout 3. Gasp
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 28th, 2022, 03:16 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Aw, I love that song in Burnout Revenge. Really cool song; wonky time signatures, guitars distorted and downtuned, and just the right amount of scream.

Memory - Sugarcult

I actually do remember how I found this song; it was a Kingdom Hearts joke compilation on the early days of Youtube. Jesus, that was, like, 15 years ago, now? ...I'm old.
I'm surprised you found that song on a KH video rather than through Burnout 3. Gasp
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I never played Burnout 3, So that's probably why. Hell, I found Motion City Soundtrack not through My Favorite Accident on Burnout 3, but from a PLANE FLIGHT that had an entertainment system built in to the seats that had their signature song Everything is Alright! And that entertainment system didn't work until the last HOUR of the flight! Yeah, a complete fluke meant I found my favorite band ever!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I never played Burnout 3, So that's probably why. Hell, I found Motion City Soundtrack not through My Favorite Accident on Burnout 3, but from a PLANE FLIGHT that had an entertainment system built in to the seats that had their signature song Everything is Alright! And that entertainment system didn't work until the last HOUR of the flight! Yeah, a complete fluke meant I found my favorite band ever!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 30th, 2022, 04:10 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Oh wow, really? I thought you had played all of the Burnout games for some reason. XD

Since I actually listened to something again due to driving to work today, the last thing I listened to was:

Disintegration (Album) - The Cure

Had a song come into my head yesterday but didn't know who it was by, and found out it was another Cure song (the song in question was Lullaby), and since that made two songs from the same album I liked I decided I'd give the full album a bash. I remember a few of the other songs from when I heard the album as a kid when my dad played it so it was an interesting trip down a very old memory lane. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 30th, 2022, 04:10 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Oh wow, really? I thought you had played all of the Burnout games for some reason. XD

Since I actually listened to something again due to driving to work today, the last thing I listened to was:

Disintegration (Album) - The Cure

Had a song come into my head yesterday but didn't know who it was by, and found out it was another Cure song (the song in question was Lullaby), and since that made two songs from the same album I liked I decided I'd give the full album a bash. I remember a few of the other songs from when I heard the album as a kid when my dad played it so it was an interesting trip down a very old memory lane. Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Armageddon - Alkaline Trio

I really liked this song ever since I heard it on Tony Hawk's Underground. It's thrashy like a punk song, and it's lyrics actually cut pretty deep if you think about them for a moment ("I know it's small, but my last call's been called half an hour ago", "Need a good night kiss before we sink", "Opened it up, and sure enough/there we were arm in arm again", stuff like that).
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

I really liked this song ever since I heard it on Tony Hawk's Underground. It's thrashy like a punk song, and it's lyrics actually cut pretty deep if you think about them for a moment ("I know it's small, but my last call's been called half an hour ago", "Need a good night kiss before we sink", "Opened it up, and sure enough/there we were arm in arm again", stuff like that).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 14th, 2022, 07:59 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I feel like outside of probably the pop genre most songs are about something that can hit a listener pretty deep. Hmm

Broken Machine (Album) - Nothing But Thieves

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 14th, 2022, 07:59 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I feel like outside of probably the pop genre most songs are about something that can hit a listener pretty deep. Hmm

Broken Machine (Album) - Nothing But Thieves
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
My own "Bangers" playlist ROFL

Good for the work outs. Gotta make some more, though. Getting a little same-y, even if they still bring me a small dopamine rush.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
My own "Bangers" playlist ROFL

Good for the work outs. Gotta make some more, though. Getting a little same-y, even if they still bring me a small dopamine rush.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Enter Sandman - Metallica

Found out after getting home that Slipknot released a new album, so I expect that will be the next thing I listen to when I play music again. Grin

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Enter Sandman - Metallica

Found out after getting home that Slipknot released a new album, so I expect that will be the next thing I listen to when I play music again. Grin
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 3rd, 2022, 06:05 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Never listened to this before since I've never really heard anything from Linkin Park after Minutes to Midnight that I was really a fan of, but this song was actually a pretty good listen. Smile

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 3rd, 2022, 06:05 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Never listened to this before since I've never really heard anything from Linkin Park after Minutes to Midnight that I was really a fan of, but this song was actually a pretty good listen. Smile
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I take it you're on an LP binge @Dragon Lord? XD 

The Great Beyond - R.E.M.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
A YouTube mix made by YouTube for me that mainly consists of Amaranthe, Dynazty, Battle Beast and Beast In Black plus a select others here and there. I don't usually open up the mixes but decided to this time. Not bad really.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
A YouTube mix made by YouTube for me that mainly consists of Amaranthe, Dynazty, Battle Beast and Beast In Black plus a select others here and there. I don't usually open up the mixes but decided to this time. Not bad really.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Oct 11th, 2022, 07:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, I just use YouTube to listen to music because I'm lazy, so eventually it ended up making a "My Mix" playlist consisting of songs that I listen to a lot (as Elite described above), and it has a lot of Linkin Park on it of course. 

Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Oct 11th, 2022, 07:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, I just use YouTube to listen to music because I'm lazy, so eventually it ended up making a "My Mix" playlist consisting of songs that I listen to a lot (as Elite described above), and it has a lot of Linkin Park on it of course. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current/Last Thing You Watched? Nightingale 497 156,762 10 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Your Current Device Wallpaper/Lock Screen? Moonface 20 6,784 Apr 4th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: queenzelda
  You Change the Colour of One Thing. What Happens? Moonface 4 3,897 Jun 15th, 2020, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Moonface