Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, Songs For the Deaf has three different lead vocalists. Nick Oliveri does the scream stuff, as heard on the first track "You Think I Ain’t Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire", as made famous by Jak X Combat Racing (no joke; that's the opening cutscene song). Mark Lanegan's baritone is used on "Hangin' Tree", which he and a friend wrote. Also, he did the vocals to the first track of their next album, Lullabies to Paralyze (the track is "This Lullaby"). Josh Homme does most of the heavy lifting in terms of vocal work, but once you realize there are three vocalists, it's VERY obvious who is who.

Side note, while he's most famous for his guitar work, Josh Homme is actually a multi-instrumentalist, and plays most of the instrumentation when he's recording as part of Eagles of Death Metal. He even did Bass in a QotSA song: Burn the Witch. Billy Gibbons plays Lead Guitar on that one. Yes, of ZZ Top fame.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Yeah, Songs For the Deaf has three different lead vocalists. Nick Oliveri does the scream stuff, as heard on the first track "You Think I Ain’t Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire", as made famous by Jak X Combat Racing (no joke; that's the opening cutscene song). Mark Lanegan's baritone is used on "Hangin' Tree", which he and a friend wrote. Also, he did the vocals to the first track of their next album, Lullabies to Paralyze (the track is "This Lullaby"). Josh Homme does most of the heavy lifting in terms of vocal work, but once you realize there are three vocalists, it's VERY obvious who is who.

Side note, while he's most famous for his guitar work, Josh Homme is actually a multi-instrumentalist, and plays most of the instrumentation when he's recording as part of Eagles of Death Metal. He even did Bass in a QotSA song: Burn the Witch. Billy Gibbons plays Lead Guitar on that one. Yes, of ZZ Top fame.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, I remember being shocked to learn that was a QotSA song in Jak X just because before then I had only heard "In My Head" so the crazy screaming that song has caught me completely off-guard. XD
I didn't know they had a different vocalist for that screamy stuff too. I just thought Homme had the ability to scream if he wanted to. Tongue
What do they do if they ever play any of those songs live? Do they just have Homme perform all the vocals?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, I remember being shocked to learn that was a QotSA song in Jak X just because before then I had only heard "In My Head" so the crazy screaming that song has caught me completely off-guard. XD
I didn't know they had a different vocalist for that screamy stuff too. I just thought Homme had the ability to scream if he wanted to. Tongue
What do they do if they ever play any of those songs live? Do they just have Homme perform all the vocals?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Homme usually performs the vocals unless those members happen to be in the band's live performances at the time (they aren't all the time -- as an example Nick Oliveri was fired at one point, but came back later, and he's also fronting his own band Mondo Generator). This actually makes it difficult to find a proper live version of Millionaire where Oliveri is doing vocals, and Homme's vocal delivery just...doesn't cut it. But, it's very easy to tell when Oliveri's doing the vocals live if you have video: he's (almost always) the shirtless one with the goatee (the goatee is always, though). Also, if you find older live versions of the song, you may see Dave Grohl on drums. Yeah, he actually did the drumwork for the album.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Homme usually performs the vocals unless those members happen to be in the band's live performances at the time (they aren't all the time -- as an example Nick Oliveri was fired at one point, but came back later, and he's also fronting his own band Mondo Generator). This actually makes it difficult to find a proper live version of Millionaire where Oliveri is doing vocals, and Homme's vocal delivery just...doesn't cut it. But, it's very easy to tell when Oliveri's doing the vocals live if you have video: he's (almost always) the shirtless one with the goatee (the goatee is always, though). Also, if you find older live versions of the song, you may see Dave Grohl on drums. Yeah, he actually did the drumwork for the album.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 20th, 2022, 01:04 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This actually makes it difficult to find a proper live version of Millionaire where Oliveri is doing vocals, and Homme's vocal delivery just...doesn't cut it.
Oof... Yikes
At least him being unable to cut it is simply because he was never the one to do it in the first place, which is better than when lead singers fail to nail something that they did actually perform first on an album. Fall Out Boy had a notoriously bad case of this at Live 8 (or Live Earth) one time because Patrick Stump barely managed to hit any note correctly. Apparently it was because he had screwed up his voice from recordings over the years and went through training to fix it following this event, if I recall correctly. I always remember it though because it instantly turned me off of them for a long time because I dislike any music where the lead singer can't remotely sing live what they sung on a recording since it's hard for me to appreciate a singer who can't sing what they write or take on. Eh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 20th, 2022, 01:04 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
This actually makes it difficult to find a proper live version of Millionaire where Oliveri is doing vocals, and Homme's vocal delivery just...doesn't cut it.
Oof... Yikes
At least him being unable to cut it is simply because he was never the one to do it in the first place, which is better than when lead singers fail to nail something that they did actually perform first on an album. Fall Out Boy had a notoriously bad case of this at Live 8 (or Live Earth) one time because Patrick Stump barely managed to hit any note correctly. Apparently it was because he had screwed up his voice from recordings over the years and went through training to fix it following this event, if I recall correctly. I always remember it though because it instantly turned me off of them for a long time because I dislike any music where the lead singer can't remotely sing live what they sung on a recording since it's hard for me to appreciate a singer who can't sing what they write or take on. Eh
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Don't see Iron Maiden live, then. The scream in The Number of the Beast's intro? Bruce Dickinson has never been able to reproduce it live. Ever. The story goes that he only managed it because he was so extremely frustrated with their producer, who had force him to redo the intro over and over for hours. After that one moment, that scream would never leave Dickinson's lips again.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Don't see Iron Maiden live, then. The scream in The Number of the Beast's intro? Bruce Dickinson has never been able to reproduce it live. Ever. The story goes that he only managed it because he was so extremely frustrated with their producer, who had force him to redo the intro over and over for hours. After that one moment, that scream would never leave Dickinson's lips again.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 21st, 2022, 01:07 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I checked out the original and a live version of it and I didn't find it too bad. A singular note like in that song being unable to be reproduced isn't a deal breaker for me if the rest of the song is fine, it's when an artist is unable to reproduce a large portion of a song that I take issue. Although I would like to clarify I don't find all live music bad if it isn't close to the original; if it still sounds good but isn't sung the same way then I'm fine with that. It's more for like that QotSA song where it's all very high notes and Homme can't hit it, but since he never sung the original I don't hold it against him and even though I think it would be better if they just don't do that song live without an appropriate singer, I'll give them credit for at least trying to do it so the fans can enjoy it. At least if nothing else the instruments can still sound on point for the song. ^_^

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 21st, 2022, 01:07 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I checked out the original and a live version of it and I didn't find it too bad. A singular note like in that song being unable to be reproduced isn't a deal breaker for me if the rest of the song is fine, it's when an artist is unable to reproduce a large portion of a song that I take issue. Although I would like to clarify I don't find all live music bad if it isn't close to the original; if it still sounds good but isn't sung the same way then I'm fine with that. It's more for like that QotSA song where it's all very high notes and Homme can't hit it, but since he never sung the original I don't hold it against him and even though I think it would be better if they just don't do that song live without an appropriate singer, I'll give them credit for at least trying to do it so the fans can enjoy it. At least if nothing else the instruments can still sound on point for the song. ^_^
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Broken Machine (Album) - Nothing But Thieves

@ShiraNoMai has played some of their songs in her car which I've heard, and I decided to check the full album out for myself today and it's pretty good. A neat fact about them is they were formed not far from where I live in the UK. Grin

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Broken Machine (Album) - Nothing But Thieves

@ShiraNoMai has played some of their songs in her car which I've heard, and I decided to check the full album out for myself today and it's pretty good. A neat fact about them is they were formed not far from where I live in the UK. Grin
Abyss_Mage Offline
demoniac
Currently Playing
Age of Empires HD
XP: 108
Abyss_Mage Offline
demoniac
Currently Playing
Age of Empires HD
XP: 108
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Bastille (feat. Marshmello) -- Happier

So, this song is on my store's rotation, and I actually really like it. I can dig ironically peppy songs (it's a song about the singer realizing he's in a broken relationship). The only problem I have with the song is it makes me think the Bad Thoughts, so I try to avoid it when I can. But, when the song comes up, I do like singing along with it, and try to ignore those thoughts.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

So, this song is on my store's rotation, and I actually really like it. I can dig ironically peppy songs (it's a song about the singer realizing he's in a broken relationship). The only problem I have with the song is it makes me think the Bad Thoughts, so I try to avoid it when I can. But, when the song comes up, I do like singing along with it, and try to ignore those thoughts.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh I sure do love that make you have The Bad Thoughts™️. Luckily I don't tend to have as many these days but boy howdy were they aplenty in my youth. ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh I sure do love that make you have The Bad Thoughts™️. Luckily I don't tend to have as many these days but boy howdy were they aplenty in my youth. ROFL
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:33 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I hate that despite this being on the rotation of my store radio too I could not remember the damn song yet I hear it multiple times a day. Likely because I just tune out most songs after I hear them too much, especially after it was playing Linger by The Cranberries at one point and I really like that song but it got played so much on the radio I can't stand it now. XD
I had to look up the lyrics since I never paid attention to the words and I can't subject myself to willingly listening to it outside of the store radio, and it is not as cheerful of a song as it audibly sounds. Mellow

Miracle, Baby - Nothing But Thieves
Oh man this song has been my jam the last two days. I absolutely adore the part at 1:55. I swear any song that pulls back all the music to leave just the lyrics and then just brings it back in with impact is some of the sickest stuff! Wow

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:33 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I hate that despite this being on the rotation of my store radio too I could not remember the damn song yet I hear it multiple times a day. Likely because I just tune out most songs after I hear them too much, especially after it was playing Linger by The Cranberries at one point and I really like that song but it got played so much on the radio I can't stand it now. XD
I had to look up the lyrics since I never paid attention to the words and I can't subject myself to willingly listening to it outside of the store radio, and it is not as cheerful of a song as it audibly sounds. Mellow

Miracle, Baby - Nothing But Thieves
Oh man this song has been my jam the last two days. I absolutely adore the part at 1:55. I swear any song that pulls back all the music to leave just the lyrics and then just brings it back in with impact is some of the sickest stuff! Wow
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Just some background music from Crusader Kings II:

Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,950 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Just some background music from Crusader Kings II:

Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jun 26th, 2022, 10:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

You should read the lyrics to Semi-Charmed Life. A fun little ditty about whoring yourself out and being addicted to Crystal Meth. I still can't believe that song became a hit.

And speaking of Jams...

Antenna -- Round About Midnight

The best song on the Midnight Club 2 soundtrack, and I will fight you if you tell me otherwise! It's SO goddamn brilliant, and is my absolute JAM! There's just so much to it, from the distortion riff, to the multiple layers of funk guitar, the bassline, the bongos, it's so amazing!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Jun 26th, 2022, 10:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

You should read the lyrics to Semi-Charmed Life. A fun little ditty about whoring yourself out and being addicted to Crystal Meth. I still can't believe that song became a hit.

And speaking of Jams...

Antenna -- Round About Midnight

The best song on the Midnight Club 2 soundtrack, and I will fight you if you tell me otherwise! It's SO goddamn brilliant, and is my absolute JAM! There's just so much to it, from the distortion riff, to the multiple layers of funk guitar, the bassline, the bongos, it's so amazing!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current/Last Thing You Watched? Nightingale 497 156,762 Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Your Current Device Wallpaper/Lock Screen? Moonface 20 6,784 Apr 4th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: queenzelda
  You Change the Colour of One Thing. What Happens? Moonface 4 3,897 Jun 15th, 2020, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Moonface