Current/Last Thing You Listened To?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 27th, 2022, 03:09 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
(Dec 6th, 2022, 11:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Particles - Nothing But Thieves

Been wondering for a while why Spotify was just seemingly acting like my library was only half as big as it really is, and seems for some reason my app wasn't bothering to try and play songs that hadn't been played in a long while, presumably because it would require more bandwidth to reload the song into cache or something stupid. I only picked up on it when I was trying to start a shuffle of my liked songs and after the fourth hit ended up with the exact same shuffle I got the first time (the first few songs were all the exact same in both instances). That said I still feel like Spotify tends to just keep trying to play the same stuff and then decides at the end of the year "Oh, you liked this band the most". No, I didn't. You just wouldn't stop choosing it every other song on shuffle play. Errm

I wonder if you try and load up your shuffle at home when still connected to the WiFi would fix that, if that reasoning was the cause after all.

Last listened to the Rock Christmas playlist on Spotify. Good for the holidays without wanting to kys listening to the exact same drivel on the radios.
Nah, because I was at the house sitting in my car when I was loading that shuffle and was still getting the WiFi signal, so that wouldn't have helped. I also somehow yesterday managed to have my shuffle just switch into radio because somehow it ran out of songs, but I know for a fact there were dozens upon dozens of songs my Liked Songs shuffle hadn't touched. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 27th, 2022, 03:09 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
(Dec 6th, 2022, 11:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Particles - Nothing But Thieves

Been wondering for a while why Spotify was just seemingly acting like my library was only half as big as it really is, and seems for some reason my app wasn't bothering to try and play songs that hadn't been played in a long while, presumably because it would require more bandwidth to reload the song into cache or something stupid. I only picked up on it when I was trying to start a shuffle of my liked songs and after the fourth hit ended up with the exact same shuffle I got the first time (the first few songs were all the exact same in both instances). That said I still feel like Spotify tends to just keep trying to play the same stuff and then decides at the end of the year "Oh, you liked this band the most". No, I didn't. You just wouldn't stop choosing it every other song on shuffle play. Errm

I wonder if you try and load up your shuffle at home when still connected to the WiFi would fix that, if that reasoning was the cause after all.

Last listened to the Rock Christmas playlist on Spotify. Good for the holidays without wanting to kys listening to the exact same drivel on the radios.
Nah, because I was at the house sitting in my car when I was loading that shuffle and was still getting the WiFi signal, so that wouldn't have helped. I also somehow yesterday managed to have my shuffle just switch into radio because somehow it ran out of songs, but I know for a fact there were dozens upon dozens of songs my Liked Songs shuffle hadn't touched. Errm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
...perhaps you need to uninstall and reinstall the app. It sounds...bugged. Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
...perhaps you need to uninstall and reinstall the app. It sounds...bugged. Errm
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 30th, 2022, 05:05 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Eh, it only happened that one time so I can't be bothered to deal with all of that. Tongue

Ink - Finch

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 30th, 2022, 05:05 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Eh, it only happened that one time so I can't be bothered to deal with all of that. Tongue

Ink - Finch
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
In The Blood (feat. Ashley Barrett) - Hades OST

Spoiler warning if you haven't finished Hades - this is the credits song. It's SUCH a banger though, god DAMN. The whole OST is a work of art but boy does this song just absolute hit in all the right places.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
In The Blood (feat. Ashley Barrett) - Hades OST

Spoiler warning if you haven't finished Hades - this is the credits song. It's SUCH a banger though, god DAMN. The whole OST is a work of art but boy does this song just absolute hit in all the right places.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Jeff Wayne -- The Eve of the War (new version)

Jeff Wayne's newer take on War of the Worlds is interesting. I first heard the original version of these songs on the long car rides between home and F.I.T., always falling asleep by the back half of it. I like the original version of this song; it's a very neat proggy sound, but it does sound very much in the 70's. The new version does add some modern elements -- more synths, basically -- but I don't know if it really adds anything to the overall work? Then again, I don't think anything was lost, either. Then again, I am a sucker for the Hoover effect, and this song provides.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,821 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 

Jeff Wayne's newer take on War of the Worlds is interesting. I first heard the original version of these songs on the long car rides between home and F.I.T., always falling asleep by the back half of it. I like the original version of this song; it's a very neat proggy sound, but it does sound very much in the 70's. The new version does add some modern elements -- more synths, basically -- but I don't know if it really adds anything to the overall work? Then again, I don't think anything was lost, either. Then again, I am a sucker for the Hoover effect, and this song provides.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 8th, 2023, 03:30 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Having only ever seen the movies of WotW, I can't say I was expecting to hear what I would hear at the 1:00 mark on the original version. XD It just sounds so weirdly upbeat for a story that doesn't really present any bright side until the aliens die from pathogens (which I think the 2005 movie does a terrible job with because of deciding that the ships were already on Earth so it makes no sense how the aliens succumb in the movie when they've presumably been to Earth before to leave the original machines behind). I did try to find the new version (assuming I wasn't listening to it already) but I can't find anything but this one, which I assume is the original?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 8th, 2023, 03:30 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

Having only ever seen the movies of WotW, I can't say I was expecting to hear what I would hear at the 1:00 mark on the original version. XD It just sounds so weirdly upbeat for a story that doesn't really present any bright side until the aliens die from pathogens (which I think the 2005 movie does a terrible job with because of deciding that the ships were already on Earth so it makes no sense how the aliens succumb in the movie when they've presumably been to Earth before to leave the original machines behind). I did try to find the new version (assuming I wasn't listening to it already) but I can't find anything but this one, which I assume is the original?

Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
It is indeed the original version, as it is narrated by Richard Burton instead of Liam Neeson. Here's the New Generation version of it, if you're interested; it is actually completely reorchestrated, so you'l notice some differences if you pay attention.

I would actually highly recommend listening to the original version, then the New Generation version, and see if you can spot some differences. My favorite is actually in the Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine, where in the original version, when the Narrator dives under water, doesn't skip a beat. In the New Generation version, the Narration actually stops, and you can hear the music muffle, simulating diving into the water! I actually think it's a really nice touch.

I would say this, though: I don't think the New Generation version is better or worse than the original version. It's just a different flavor of a familiar tale. Also, do pay attention to the various instruments as they come in and out; certain instruments actually represent specific events or implements. The heavily distorted electric guitar is the Heat Ray firing, and the flute playing represents the Red Weed growing and infesting the Earth. It's actually really cool.

Edit: oh, and you can find the New Generation version by literally just adding "New Generation" to your search. It'll come up.

Edit 2: Also, Jeff Wayne's version has a (dubious?) honor to it: it's got a video game adapation of it! Well, actually, more like 3 games, because all the various versions of the games have nothing to do with each other. One for PC, one for PSX, and one for the goddamn ZX Spectrum, to give you an idea of how much older it is compared to the other two.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
It is indeed the original version, as it is narrated by Richard Burton instead of Liam Neeson. Here's the New Generation version of it, if you're interested; it is actually completely reorchestrated, so you'l notice some differences if you pay attention.

I would actually highly recommend listening to the original version, then the New Generation version, and see if you can spot some differences. My favorite is actually in the Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine, where in the original version, when the Narrator dives under water, doesn't skip a beat. In the New Generation version, the Narration actually stops, and you can hear the music muffle, simulating diving into the water! I actually think it's a really nice touch.

I would say this, though: I don't think the New Generation version is better or worse than the original version. It's just a different flavor of a familiar tale. Also, do pay attention to the various instruments as they come in and out; certain instruments actually represent specific events or implements. The heavily distorted electric guitar is the Heat Ray firing, and the flute playing represents the Red Weed growing and infesting the Earth. It's actually really cool.

Edit: oh, and you can find the New Generation version by literally just adding "New Generation" to your search. It'll come up.

Edit 2: Also, Jeff Wayne's version has a (dubious?) honor to it: it's got a video game adapation of it! Well, actually, more like 3 games, because all the various versions of the games have nothing to do with each other. One for PC, one for PSX, and one for the goddamn ZX Spectrum, to give you an idea of how much older it is compared to the other two.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: I had a brief listen to the song and of the part I listened to I think I prefer the original one, at least for the segment that plays around the one minute mark since that's what I listened to.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Maniakkid25: I had a brief listen to the song and of the part I listened to I think I prefer the original one, at least for the segment that plays around the one minute mark since that's what I listened to.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The James Rocket -- Paper Valentines

I first found out about this song on the RBN Megamix that was released back in...2010? Somewhere around there. I started hearing the second verse riff, and instantly fell in love with the song, and had to know more. Been an lover of this band ever since that day, but this song will always be my favorite. That last chorus will always hit like a train.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The James Rocket -- Paper Valentines

I first found out about this song on the RBN Megamix that was released back in...2010? Somewhere around there. I started hearing the second verse riff, and instantly fell in love with the song, and had to know more. Been an lover of this band ever since that day, but this song will always be my favorite. That last chorus will always hit like a train.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I Dare You - Shinedown

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I Dare You - Shinedown
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

I am dying of laughter over here. This is peak internet right here.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 28th, 2023, 06:28 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I think what makes this work so well is the pipe sound fits the Christmas aesthetic stupidly well. It sounds like a low-budget version of doing church bells. XD

@Dragon Lord: I was curious what that song was so listened to some of it, then wondered what it was from and saw the video description says it's a cover by the Hololive person that runs that channel. I don't know how the original version sounds but regardless she did a crazy good job at that cover. Gasp Is singing a big thing for her (i.e. wants to pursue it as a career later in life or something) or is this just a thing she sorta does on the side as fun?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 28th, 2023, 06:28 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I think what makes this work so well is the pipe sound fits the Christmas aesthetic stupidly well. It sounds like a low-budget version of doing church bells. XD

@Dragon Lord: I was curious what that song was so listened to some of it, then wondered what it was from and saw the video description says it's a cover by the Hololive person that runs that channel. I don't know how the original version sounds but regardless she did a crazy good job at that cover. Gasp Is singing a big thing for her (i.e. wants to pursue it as a career later in life or something) or is this just a thing she sorta does on the side as fun?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Lost - Linkin Park

Man, what an emotional release. Who would have ever thought we'd get a release of a cut song from the Meteora album in 2023, five years after Chester's death? Absolutely wild. It's just a shame what they decided to do for the music video.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Lost - Linkin Park

Man, what an emotional release. Who would have ever thought we'd get a release of a cut song from the Meteora album in 2023, five years after Chester's death? Absolutely wild. It's just a shame what they decided to do for the music video.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@ShiraNoMai told me about that release but I've yet to listen to it myself. Not sure I want to check out the video now going by what you've said. What does it do roughly? Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@ShiraNoMai told me about that release but I've yet to listen to it myself. Not sure I want to check out the video now going by what you've said. What does it do roughly? Unsure

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current/Last Thing You Watched? Nightingale 496 156,659 Apr 17th, 2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Kyng
  Your Current Device Wallpaper/Lock Screen? Moonface 20 6,782 Apr 4th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: queenzelda
  You Change the Colour of One Thing. What Happens? Moonface 4 3,895 Jun 15th, 2020, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Moonface