Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 06:08 PM)Monocle Wrote:
(Jul 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM)Grungie Wrote:
Sadly only one of those Tales games got officially translated.

Well, Destiny was localized on PSX and Phantasia was localized on gba but man... Kangaroo. lmao.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM)Grungie Wrote:
Sadly only one of those Tales games got officially translated.

Well, Destiny was localized on PSX and Phantasia was localized on gba but man... Kangaroo. lmao.

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 07:23 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

There's that great ol' fashioned localization quality. Thank goodness things have come a loooong way, especially in the dubbing world
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Jul 12th, 2018, 07:23 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

There's that great ol' fashioned localization quality. Thank goodness things have come a loooong way, especially in the dubbing world
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
The LUNAR games have some interesting localization choices...
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
The LUNAR games have some interesting localization choices...
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I couldn't determine whether to put this in here or the entitlement thread, because it kinda falls into both, but two days ago Kotaku thought it would be a smart idea to write an article about Metroid Dread being emulated already, and outright encouraged the behaviour: Source

The article was edited about a day later when the internet called Kotaku out for the article, which even links to the emulation tools needed to emulate Dread. The article then ends by praising pirates and encouraging people to emulate all of the Metroid games, which in Kotaku's defense are harder to access because of their age and the hardware needed to play them. But there is no way emulation is okay for a game released two days ago. In my opinion emulation should be to play games that aren't easily accessible anymore, and not for a game that isn't even a week old yet. Not that I'd call it an excuse but it's not like Switch's are like rocking horse shit to get a hold of like PS5's and XSX's are.

If Kotaku get any review copies from Nintendo though, they should really be blacklisted for that article. By all means, write about how people have already managed to emulate the game but don't as a "professional publication" basically hand everyone the keys to the car. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I couldn't determine whether to put this in here or the entitlement thread, because it kinda falls into both, but two days ago Kotaku thought it would be a smart idea to write an article about Metroid Dread being emulated already, and outright encouraged the behaviour: Source

The article was edited about a day later when the internet called Kotaku out for the article, which even links to the emulation tools needed to emulate Dread. The article then ends by praising pirates and encouraging people to emulate all of the Metroid games, which in Kotaku's defense are harder to access because of their age and the hardware needed to play them. But there is no way emulation is okay for a game released two days ago. In my opinion emulation should be to play games that aren't easily accessible anymore, and not for a game that isn't even a week old yet. Not that I'd call it an excuse but it's not like Switch's are like rocking horse shit to get a hold of like PS5's and XSX's are.

If Kotaku get any review copies from Nintendo though, they should really be blacklisted for that article. By all means, write about how people have already managed to emulate the game but don't as a "professional publication" basically hand everyone the keys to the car. Errm
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Oh, wow!

Yeah, that's fucking irresponsible, man.

BUT the whole thing *would* have been defensible had they not linked to the tools required to do the hacking... that was taking things too far and even some sites DEDICATED to emulation wouldn't make it that easy for you, simply because that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Oh, wow!

Yeah, that's fucking irresponsible, man.

BUT the whole thing *would* have been defensible had they not linked to the tools required to do the hacking... that was taking things too far and even some sites DEDICATED to emulation wouldn't make it that easy for you, simply because that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Inb4 James Stephanie Sterling brought this type of ire on themselves YEARS before Kotaku. But yeah, bad idea, Kotaku. That tightrope can slice you right in half if you aren't careful.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Inb4 James Stephanie Sterling brought this type of ire on themselves YEARS before Kotaku. But yeah, bad idea, Kotaku. That tightrope can slice you right in half if you aren't careful.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 12th, 2021, 02:29 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I'm not familiar with this. I assume that's the full name of Jim Sterling but beyond that I don't have a clue about what you're referring to. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 12th, 2021, 02:29 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I'm not familiar with this. I assume that's the full name of Jim Sterling but beyond that I don't have a clue about what you're referring to. Tongue
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
yeah I heard about that article and after they did it, tons of sites did. pcgamer was one of them.

I'm huge on emulation but I'm not about to emulate new shit. that's beyond ridiculous. Besides, most of my emulation is to play improved versions of older games because fans are a passionate group and IP owners aren't doing shit with their stuff.

PLUS I FUCKING LOVE METROID. DON'T DO THIS. THEY FINALLY MADE A NEW 2D GAME. DON'T DISCOURAGE THEM WITH THIS SHIT. FUCK FUCK FUCK
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
yeah I heard about that article and after they did it, tons of sites did. pcgamer was one of them.

I'm huge on emulation but I'm not about to emulate new shit. that's beyond ridiculous. Besides, most of my emulation is to play improved versions of older games because fans are a passionate group and IP owners aren't doing shit with their stuff.

PLUS I FUCKING LOVE METROID. DON'T DO THIS. THEY FINALLY MADE A NEW 2D GAME. DON'T DISCOURAGE THEM WITH THIS SHIT. FUCK FUCK FUCK
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 12th, 2021, 04:30 AM)Monocle Wrote:

Wait, other sites started doing what Kotaku initially did because they saw their actions as a signal they can do it too? Blink

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 12th, 2021, 04:30 AM)Monocle Wrote:

Wait, other sites started doing what Kotaku initially did because they saw their actions as a signal they can do it too? Blink
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
@Moonface

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
@Moonface

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Geez. I get those sites are all just trying to capitalize on the Kotaku article being hot for traffic but surely they could've done it without doing the same errors Kotaku did in the first place. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Geez. I get those sites are all just trying to capitalize on the Kotaku article being hot for traffic but surely they could've done it without doing the same errors Kotaku did in the first place. Errm
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Kudos to PCGamer for actually playing it safe with its title.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:25 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Shame the article itself is no better than the original. It links to both emulators, and ends the article with statements that encourage emulating the game:
PC Gamer Wrote:
...but if you try playing Metroid Dread on Switch and find the controls cramp your hands, or you really want to tinker with the resolution and unlock the framerate, it's nice to be able to, er, switch to PC.
I wonder if there's any official publication that actually just discusses the game already got emulated without outright selling the concept to people.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Shame the article itself is no better than the original. It links to both emulators, and ends the article with statements that encourage emulating the game:
PC Gamer Wrote:
...but if you try playing Metroid Dread on Switch and find the controls cramp your hands, or you really want to tinker with the resolution and unlock the framerate, it's nice to be able to, er, switch to PC.
I wonder if there's any official publication that actually just discusses the game already got emulated without outright selling the concept to people.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:
PC Gamer Wrote:

That's a tricky balance, man.

I remember when the first GameBoy emulators were announced, never again did I think about buying actual hardware.

Once something's able to be emulated reliably, that's a sale in and on itself. It is a total game-changer.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:
PC Gamer Wrote:

That's a tricky balance, man.

I remember when the first GameBoy emulators were announced, never again did I think about buying actual hardware.

Once something's able to be emulated reliably, that's a sale in and on itself. It is a total game-changer.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'd get it for places that have a hard time accessing the hardware to play the games (i.e. Brazil, China, etc) or if you're in dire straits (unstable income) it'd be a nice alternative, but for those that make enough to reasonably afford these hard-effort projects, you should absolutely support your hobby.

Of course, emulation of older, harder to access hardware (vintage/retro) where the original publisher is no longer making/supporting them, completely understandable. New hardware? Come on now.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'd get it for places that have a hard time accessing the hardware to play the games (i.e. Brazil, China, etc) or if you're in dire straits (unstable income) it'd be a nice alternative, but for those that make enough to reasonably afford these hard-effort projects, you should absolutely support your hobby.

Of course, emulation of older, harder to access hardware (vintage/retro) where the original publisher is no longer making/supporting them, completely understandable. New hardware? Come on now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Nintendo World Moonface 33 8,308 Jan 26th, 2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  The Witch's Cauldron: Multi-World Event! ShiraNoMai 15 772 Dec 29th, 2023, 11:46 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Restricted Exploration in Open World Games? Moonface 2 257 Dec 7th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  UG Multi-World Sessions? ShiraNoMai 12 1,431 Jul 31st, 2023, 04:09 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Lore and World Building Moonface 16 7,477 Apr 6th, 2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25