A look back at Bleem!
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
[Image: Bleemx.jpg]

For those who don't know, Bleem! was a commercially-released emulator that made it to store shelves in 1997.

It just won't stop fascinating me how a no-name business like Bleem Company could take on a juggernaut like Sony head-on. Needless to say, the video-game giant was having none of it and quickly filled a lawsuit against the makers of Bleem! as soon as they began taken pre-orders for the emulator.

Shockingly enough, Sony lost on all counts (including a rather curious clause forbidding Bleem Company from showing actual screenshots of Playstation games on the packaging of the emulator). But they still won the battle, as the large legal fees and boycotts imposed by Sony on retailers (they would basically pull their products from stores carrying Bleem!) was more than what the little company could afford and they ended going out of business soon afterwards, with their assets and inventary being auctioned on E-bay... including a large collection of PS games that was used for testing.

I know what you are thinking: Even if Sony was somehow cool with this, how in the world could this be a profitable business model for Bleem!? Surely it would only take one legit user leaking the program online for it to inflict massive damage on their income. Well... they did something cool about it -at least from the manufacturer's perspective-: you could even download Bleem! for free from their website, but it wouldn't run unless you first inserted a key CD of sorts they prepared to guarantee that paying customers would not stop coming. Even if disc-swapping is a massive pain, I have mad respect for this technique, as it basically protects the product with a rather harmless practice.

And in case you are wondering, playing Bleem! today is pretty surreal experience. I'm sure this was top-notch by 97, but the emulation leaves a ton to be desired, struggling to keep the speed locked (meaning it would speed up and slow down seemingly at random) and having tons of graphics glitches popping up with every game tried. Still, as a curious piece of history, it surely has its own appeal.

I know a few people who were introduced to the Playstation and its library of games by playing Bleem!... and that ended up buying the console soon afterwards. It couldn't have been that bad for Sony, if that continued being the case across the board.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that Bleem Company were working on a PS1 emulator for Dreamcast, called Bleemcast! They released a few titles for it before going out of business, and it seems like it was pretty ok stuff.

What do you think, though? Ever heard of or tried Bleem!? What do you think of the whole idea? Share it with us.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
[Image: Bleemx.jpg]

For those who don't know, Bleem! was a commercially-released emulator that made it to store shelves in 1997.

It just won't stop fascinating me how a no-name business like Bleem Company could take on a juggernaut like Sony head-on. Needless to say, the video-game giant was having none of it and quickly filled a lawsuit against the makers of Bleem! as soon as they began taken pre-orders for the emulator.

Shockingly enough, Sony lost on all counts (including a rather curious clause forbidding Bleem Company from showing actual screenshots of Playstation games on the packaging of the emulator). But they still won the battle, as the large legal fees and boycotts imposed by Sony on retailers (they would basically pull their products from stores carrying Bleem!) was more than what the little company could afford and they ended going out of business soon afterwards, with their assets and inventary being auctioned on E-bay... including a large collection of PS games that was used for testing.

I know what you are thinking: Even if Sony was somehow cool with this, how in the world could this be a profitable business model for Bleem!? Surely it would only take one legit user leaking the program online for it to inflict massive damage on their income. Well... they did something cool about it -at least from the manufacturer's perspective-: you could even download Bleem! for free from their website, but it wouldn't run unless you first inserted a key CD of sorts they prepared to guarantee that paying customers would not stop coming. Even if disc-swapping is a massive pain, I have mad respect for this technique, as it basically protects the product with a rather harmless practice.

And in case you are wondering, playing Bleem! today is pretty surreal experience. I'm sure this was top-notch by 97, but the emulation leaves a ton to be desired, struggling to keep the speed locked (meaning it would speed up and slow down seemingly at random) and having tons of graphics glitches popping up with every game tried. Still, as a curious piece of history, it surely has its own appeal.

I know a few people who were introduced to the Playstation and its library of games by playing Bleem!... and that ended up buying the console soon afterwards. It couldn't have been that bad for Sony, if that continued being the case across the board.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that Bleem Company were working on a PS1 emulator for Dreamcast, called Bleemcast! They released a few titles for it before going out of business, and it seems like it was pretty ok stuff.

What do you think, though? Ever heard of or tried Bleem!? What do you think of the whole idea? Share it with us.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Were you by chance inspired by this post:
https://universalgaming.net/showthread.p...11#pid2011

that mentioned the predecessor to Bleem!? Tongue

Also I don't really know what Sony expected they lost to Connecttix too  

Here is the Lazy Game Review video on Bleem!

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Were you by chance inspired by this post:

Also I don't really know what Sony expected they lost to Connecttix too  

Here is the Lazy Game Review video on Bleem!

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Were you by chance inspired by this post:

Completely missed that post, to be honest.

But thank goodness! As I couldn't, for the life of me, remember Connecttix's name.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Were you by chance inspired by this post:

Completely missed that post, to be honest.

But thank goodness! As I couldn't, for the life of me, remember Connecttix's name.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I had no idea it was for PC I just remember seeing it in gaming magazines for Dreamcast and how it was superior to the PS2s emulation which just smoothed textures.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I had no idea it was for PC I just remember seeing it in gaming magazines for Dreamcast and how it was superior to the PS2s emulation which just smoothed textures.
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268
Mega Man Bioshock 
I have never heard of Bleem! A day in my life until now! lol But then again, I started getting into ps1 games in 1999, and I was 7 when Bleem! Came out, so I might not have noticed it just yet.

Very interesting to see this happened, sounds kind of illegal. But it's very fascinating.

Some of my posts are satire, so don't take me too seriously! : P
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268 Mega Man Bioshock 
I have never heard of Bleem! A day in my life until now! lol But then again, I started getting into ps1 games in 1999, and I was 7 when Bleem! Came out, so I might not have noticed it just yet.

Very interesting to see this happened, sounds kind of illegal. But it's very fascinating.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:11 AM)Hotspot Wrote:

I don't think Bleem! was illegal, as they wrote their own stuff for it and made it so it would only work with original, retail PS discs. Sony would have liked it to be illegal beyond belief, however.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:11 AM)Hotspot Wrote:

I don't think Bleem! was illegal, as they wrote their own stuff for it and made it so it would only work with original, retail PS discs. Sony would have liked it to be illegal beyond belief, however.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's Look Back at Gaming in 2021 Moonface 22 5,159 Feb 10th, 2022, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL