What Do You Think About VR?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What do you think about VR? Do you think it will stick around as an option for games or will it slowly fade away after a popularity spike like motion controls did?

I think VR is neat and that it will get to a stage where any issues it has have been minimised and more games feel less like a concept piece for trying out the technology. It already has some amazing games supporting it like Resident Evil 7, Superhot, and Wipeout Omega Collection, and I think seeing more games implement VR features will help push the technology as something to pay attention to as VR only games don't seem to generate a lot of buzz or attention for it yet.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What do you think about VR? Do you think it will stick around as an option for games or will it slowly fade away after a popularity spike like motion controls did?

I think VR is neat and that it will get to a stage where any issues it has have been minimised and more games feel less like a concept piece for trying out the technology. It already has some amazing games supporting it like Resident Evil 7, Superhot, and Wipeout Omega Collection, and I think seeing more games implement VR features will help push the technology as something to pay attention to as VR only games don't seem to generate a lot of buzz or attention for it yet.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
VR has some issues, such as the need for a decent amount of space, the ability to bend/kneel/laydown/ etc, cost, and some others.

Until at lease the cost and space issues are taken care of (and as some one who can't really bend/kneel/etc that one is taken care of too), I don't see it going far outside of gimmick and "Oh thats cool" status.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
VR has some issues, such as the need for a decent amount of space, the ability to bend/kneel/laydown/ etc, cost, and some others.

Until at lease the cost and space issues are taken care of (and as some one who can't really bend/kneel/etc that one is taken care of too), I don't see it going far outside of gimmick and "Oh thats cool" status.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, cost and space are definitely issues and I think cost can be dealt with, but space is going to be harder because you can't fix it by relying on people getting more space to use it. There would need to be a way to have it work in a confined area for it to work for the majority of the market.

For people with mobility issues, they could just make it that you control the game as you would without VR, but the VR headset helps with the immersion. That or make it so movement is done with actual buttons, but aiming or looking is motion based.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, cost and space are definitely issues and I think cost can be dealt with, but space is going to be harder because you can't fix it by relying on people getting more space to use it. There would need to be a way to have it work in a confined area for it to work for the majority of the market.

For people with mobility issues, they could just make it that you control the game as you would without VR, but the VR headset helps with the immersion. That or make it so movement is done with actual buttons, but aiming or looking is motion based.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I think VR isn't a particularly bright idea... at a certain point, games are made for escapism, but they still ground you in reality ("Damn! Invisible wall. Time to turn around" frustrated key mashes). I fear the lack of barriers such as having to sit down or grabbing a controller may turn the games a little too real for some people.

That's never a good thing.

The only saving grace I see for the idea in its current state is that graphics are generally really goofy and that you can't mess yourself too much crashing into things while moving around, oblivious of your surroundings.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I think VR isn't a particularly bright idea... at a certain point, games are made for escapism, but they still ground you in reality ("Damn! Invisible wall. Time to turn around" frustrated key mashes). I fear the lack of barriers such as having to sit down or grabbing a controller may turn the games a little too real for some people.

The only saving grace I see for the idea in its current state is that graphics are generally really goofy and that you can't mess yourself too much crashing into things while moving around, oblivious of your surroundings.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:17 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

Every one has their limits and they need to know them and when to/not to cross them. Escapism is basically what ever the person enjoys some people want to go "play army" with painball and BB gun pellets to the point of where they will recreate historical battles, others will go so far as to live as the people they are re-enacting and have every thing down pat just short of actually firing bullets (at each others, there is a group near me that will use live rounds in their demonstrations, but obviously they are not firing at another person).

I could see VR being used as a cheaper simulator for say pilots and others who do not need need the motion part of an expensive professional simulator (just make sure the control panels and such are in the same place but instead of giant screens, VR head set(s)).

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

Every one has their limits and they need to know them and when to/not to cross them. Escapism is basically what ever the person enjoys some people want to go "play army" with painball and BB gun pellets to the point of where they will recreate historical battles, others will go so far as to live as the people they are re-enacting and have every thing down pat just short of actually firing bullets (at each others, there is a group near me that will use live rounds in their demonstrations, but obviously they are not firing at another person).

I could see VR being used as a cheaper simulator for say pilots and others who do not need need the motion part of an expensive professional simulator (just make sure the control panels and such are in the same place but instead of giant screens, VR head set(s)).
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Just found out just the other day that there's a Jurassic Park VR experience at the local Dave and Busters. But at $20 a pop I could save back my cash & go to an 'actual' roller coaster park.

VR may seem 'cool', but you could never get me into one of those headsets.. No thank you.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Just found out just the other day that there's a Jurassic Park VR experience at the local Dave and Busters. But at $20 a pop I could save back my cash & go to an 'actual' roller coaster park.

VR may seem 'cool', but you could never get me into one of those headsets.. No thank you.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:12 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Fair enough, but remember that people got seriously messed up while playing Pokémon GO!... and that wasn't even VR, that was just them not looking away from their phone.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

Fair enough, but remember that people got seriously messed up while playing Pokémon GO!... and that wasn't even VR, that was just them not looking away from their phone.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:28 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Fair enough, but remember that people got seriously messed up while playing Pokémon GO!... and that wasn't even VR, that was just them not looking away from their

Assuming you need to stay connected to a computer either via wire or wireless tech, I don't see too much of an issue there, also
How are you try and keep Darwin from his job Whistle
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:21 AM)Summer Queen Wrote:

Sooo running from raptors, and TRexes then?

Or navigating a Unix Machine though a 3D Interface (That was real BTW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn_(file_manager) )

PS Does it bug any one else that Tyrannosaurus rex is mixed greek and latin then "Tyrannos" translates from geek is "Tyrant" or "absolute ruler" and Rex is Latin for "king" or ether Tyrant Dinosaur King or Absolute Ruler Dinosaur King as a translation...

Even more fun fact in classical Greece a "Tyrannos" was just an authoritarian ruler there was no positive or negative implication (as there is today) so you could have a just/good/etc tyrannos or a bad one.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

Fair enough, but remember that people got seriously messed up while playing Pokémon GO!... and that wasn't even VR, that was just them not looking away from their

Assuming you need to stay connected to a computer either via wire or wireless tech, I don't see too much of an issue there, also
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:21 AM)Summer Queen Wrote:

Sooo running from raptors, and TRexes then?

Or navigating a Unix Machine though a 3D Interface (That was real BTW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn_(file_manager) )

PS Does it bug any one else that Tyrannosaurus rex is mixed greek and latin then "Tyrannos" translates from geek is "Tyrant" or "absolute ruler" and Rex is Latin for "king" or ether Tyrant Dinosaur King or Absolute Ruler Dinosaur King as a translation...

Even more fun fact in classical Greece a "Tyrannos" was just an authoritarian ruler there was no positive or negative implication (as there is today) so you could have a just/good/etc tyrannos or a bad one.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:34 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

1) How in the world did I send my last post when it wasn't even finished. I amaze myself.

2) Mmm, yes... but you could still totally headbutt nearby walls while playing. It will happen, just wait and see.

3) Darwin is a pal Tongue
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

1) How in the world did I send my last post when it wasn't even finished. I amaze myself.

2) Mmm, yes... but you could still totally headbutt nearby walls while playing. It will happen, just wait and see.

lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:38 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

2) Darwin solves that issue Whistle (also you better read my mini rant that I edited in Whistle)

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

2) Darwin solves that issue Whistle (also you better read my mini rant that I edited in Whistle)
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:43 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I don't have much of a stance on dinosaur names, if that's what you are talking about.

I do think it's interesting, though.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 12:43 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I don't have much of a stance on dinosaur names, if that's what you are talking about.

I do think it's interesting, though.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Idk, but here's a video ad for the thing:

There are a few people on youtube who have reviewed it as well, but I'll watch through them later after I'm done playing through Olberic's quest in Ocotpath Traveler. (Which I'm playing while posting atmo. Tongue)
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 

There are a few people on youtube who have reviewed it as well, but I'll watch through them later after I'm done playing through Olberic's quest in Ocotpath Traveler. (Which I'm playing while posting atmo. Tongue)
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 17th, 2018, 01:20 AM)Summer Queen Wrote:

That ad was so underwhelming...

I think it was Dave and Busters that had a Mech Warrior Simulator, now that was awesome.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 17th, 2018, 01:20 AM)Summer Queen Wrote:

That ad was so underwhelming...

I think it was Dave and Busters that had a Mech Warrior Simulator, now that was awesome.
Chloe Offline
punk gyrl
Currently Playing
Legend of Zelda: OoT
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES/PC
XP: 308
Idk, the vr ride looks like fun to me. Certainly cheaper then buying a vr helm. Tongue
[Image: chloe-13.png]
Chloe Offline
punk gyrl
Currently Playing
Legend of Zelda: OoT
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES/PC
XP: 308
Idk, the vr ride looks like fun to me. Certainly cheaper then buying a vr helm. Tongue
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Waste of time and money.

I'd rather buy and play games that are actually good, rather than having all development time spent on "omg vr!!!" and having the game a shallow piece of shit.

Also for all those "muh immersion!" people that defend VR, I like how they completely ignore the detached, floating hands/arms in most VR games. If that's not "immersion" breaking, I don't know what is.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Waste of time and money.

I'd rather buy and play games that are actually good, rather than having all development time spent on "omg vr!!!" and having the game a shallow piece of shit.

Also for all those "muh immersion!" people that defend VR, I like how they completely ignore the detached, floating hands/arms in most VR games. If that's not "immersion" breaking, I don't know what is.