Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:21 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:17 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Fun Fact the guy behind Big Rigs, also worked on
The War Z / Infestation: Survivor Stories
LoL

Even if LoL is a working game, it seems this guy just drags a dumpster fire with him.

I honestly forgot LoL was a thing that existed.

Wasn't it all the rage a few years back? Maaaaan.

EDIT: Wait, what? When in the world did I make 300 posts here?

It was and it was also was/is toxic as all heck, and I like my vidya gaemz with some trash talking bullshit.

Also you just did make 300 now Tongue

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:17 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Fun Fact the guy behind Big Rigs, also worked on
The War Z / Infestation: Survivor Stories
LoL

Even if LoL is a working game, it seems this guy just drags a dumpster fire with him.

It was and it was also was/is toxic as all heck, and I like my vidya gaemz with some trash talking bullshit.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:25 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

But how's the AI on LoL? xD
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:25 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

But how's the AI on LoL? xD
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
I dont even know if LoL has AI as I don't play MOBAs Whistle

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 02:49 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Yeah, neither do I.

DOTA was going to have a voicepack by none other than Ross Scott, but they rejected it. That killed the genre for me.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

Yeah, neither do I.

DOTA was going to have a voicepack by none other than Ross Scott, but they rejected it. That killed the genre for me.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 17th, 2018, 03:03 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Yeah, neither do I.

Since we are dealing with Vavle here and making a game does this surprise you? Whistle

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

Yeah, neither do I.

Since we are dealing with Vavle here and making a game does this surprise you? Whistle
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 03:41 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Yeah, neither do I.

It bugs me, it's what it does.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 03:41 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Yeah, neither do I.

It bugs me, it's what it does.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
I asked does it surprise you! Not if it bugs you! Tongue

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 05:03 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I'm such a rebel Tongue
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 17th, 2018, 05:03 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I'm such a rebel Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I thought there was an option to play against bots in most MOBAs. Meh, I don't play them either, so I don't really know.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 11:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Also while less common nowadays, I have never liked AI that detect the player, and then pretend they no longer exist the second you get out of their sight. The Evil Within 2 does this worse than any other game I've played recently, as you can have an enemy chase you and despite standing in plain sight of them, there is a point they stop following you and then go back to where they were before. Rarely enemies don't do that, and when they don't the chases are superbly tense if you're not equipped to deal with them, but a lot of the time you'll just see enemies stopping at an invisible line and acting as if you're no longer in front of them.

This is a common thing in RPGs, especially MMOs, and it's known as the enemy's "aggro sphere". The idea behind the aggro sphere is that it gives you time to plan the situation while still being in real-time, as well as being able to run away from a fight if you're outmatched. Regulating aggro, including aggro spheres, is one of the most important skills in an MMO, after all. That said, this is common to RPGs, so what the hell it's doing in a survival horror game like The Evil Within 2, I don't even know.

As far as discussing the topic further goes, I've already referred to Mark Brown's episode on what makes good AI, but I'mma link it again because it's that interesting. Meanwhile, I'll mention two things that I'm sure I've mentioned before: The Combine Gunship and the AI in FEAR. I love these two examples because they're examples in how intelligence can be coded in, whether by accident or on purpose. The Combine Gunship trying to shoot down a rocket was a bug in the code, being coded to fire at the most significant threat. Note that it doesn't specify the player, just the most significant threat. The code then took the ball from there, and decided that the rocket that was now going to damage it became a more significant threat than the player, and focused fire on that. After playtesting and finding the "bug", because of playtesters positive reactions, they kept it and even refined it into what it is in the game.

FEAR's Replica Soldiers (that's the name of the main enemy in the game), meanwhile, are an example of emergent behavior as far as AI coding goes. Emergent behavior, or Emergence in general, is what happens when complex and sophisticated structures or concepts follow from much simpler rules. A snowflake is a good example of it, because it's just water freezing into a crystal, but because of the rules of chemistry, it creates beautiful and complex patterns and shapes. Based on what I understood from their paper (Which you can also hear in presentation form), FEAR's AI was more intentional than that, but what I do know is that the soldiers are hard-coded with far more basic ideas: Move in groups, provide covering fire, take cover, and move relative to the player (yes, they can also jump through windows and stuff like that, but that's not the point). These parameters lead to FEAR having what is still considered some of the best AI in a video game, 13 years after the game's release. I actually bought the game myself on this alone, just because I wanted to see for myself how this AI works in practice. They didn't disappoint. Right from the start, they'll keep you on your toes, and it's amazing to think that a game from that long ago has AI where even a small squad of soldiers will always be a legitimate worry if you let them operate.

As far as the bad goes...well, I'mma look at Gen 1 Pokemon for that. Yes, we all know it's a mess of a game, but one of the interesting things is that the AI is coded to always use attacks that are super-effective when possible, and to not use moves that are not very effective (i.e. does half damage), even if the move doesn't do damage. This can lead to...interesting side-effects, especially a notorious softlock with Lorelei (though you basically have to do it on purpose for it to happen) where if you Rage with a fighting or poison-type pokemon, she will infinitely use Rest with her Dewgong, causing an infinite battle. I call it notorious because Pokemon Yellow was specifically hard-coded to check if the pokemon you're fighting is Lorelei's Dewgong, and will change her AI if it is, which is a kludge if I've ever heard of one.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I thought there was an option to play against bots in most MOBAs. Meh, I don't play them either, so I don't really know.

Also while less common nowadays, I have never liked AI that detect the player, and then pretend they no longer exist the second you get out of their sight. The Evil Within 2 does this worse than any other game I've played recently, as you can have an enemy chase you and despite standing in plain sight of them, there is a point they stop following you and then go back to where they were before. Rarely enemies don't do that, and when they don't the chases are superbly tense if you're not equipped to deal with them, but a lot of the time you'll just see enemies stopping at an invisible line and acting as if you're no longer in front of them.

This is a common thing in RPGs, especially MMOs, and it's known as the enemy's "aggro sphere". The idea behind the aggro sphere is that it gives you time to plan the situation while still being in real-time, as well as being able to run away from a fight if you're outmatched. Regulating aggro, including aggro spheres, is one of the most important skills in an MMO, after all. That said, this is common to RPGs, so what the hell it's doing in a survival horror game like The Evil Within 2, I don't even know.

As far as discussing the topic further goes, I've already referred to Mark Brown's episode on what makes good AI, but I'mma link it again because it's that interesting. Meanwhile, I'll mention two things that I'm sure I've mentioned before: The Combine Gunship and the AI in FEAR. I love these two examples because they're examples in how intelligence can be coded in, whether by accident or on purpose. The Combine Gunship trying to shoot down a rocket was a bug in the code, being coded to fire at the most significant threat. Note that it doesn't specify the player, just the most significant threat. The code then took the ball from there, and decided that the rocket that was now going to damage it became a more significant threat than the player, and focused fire on that. After playtesting and finding the "bug", because of playtesters positive reactions, they kept it and even refined it into what it is in the game.

FEAR's Replica Soldiers (that's the name of the main enemy in the game), meanwhile, are an example of emergent behavior as far as AI coding goes. Emergent behavior, or Emergence in general, is what happens when complex and sophisticated structures or concepts follow from much simpler rules. A snowflake is a good example of it, because it's just water freezing into a crystal, but because of the rules of chemistry, it creates beautiful and complex patterns and shapes. Based on what I understood from their paper (Which you can also hear in presentation form), FEAR's AI was more intentional than that, but what I do know is that the soldiers are hard-coded with far more basic ideas: Move in groups, provide covering fire, take cover, and move relative to the player (yes, they can also jump through windows and stuff like that, but that's not the point). These parameters lead to FEAR having what is still considered some of the best AI in a video game, 13 years after the game's release. I actually bought the game myself on this alone, just because I wanted to see for myself how this AI works in practice. They didn't disappoint. Right from the start, they'll keep you on your toes, and it's amazing to think that a game from that long ago has AI where even a small squad of soldiers will always be a legitimate worry if you let them operate.

As far as the bad goes...well, I'mma look at Gen 1 Pokemon for that. Yes, we all know it's a mess of a game, but one of the interesting things is that the AI is coded to always use attacks that are super-effective when possible, and to not use moves that are not very effective (i.e. does half damage), even if the move doesn't do damage. This can lead to...interesting side-effects, especially a notorious softlock with Lorelei (though you basically have to do it on purpose for it to happen) where if you Rage with a fighting or poison-type pokemon, she will infinitely use Rest with her Dewgong, causing an infinite battle. I call it notorious because Pokemon Yellow was specifically hard-coded to check if the pokemon you're fighting is Lorelei's Dewgong, and will change her AI if it is, which is a kludge if I've ever heard of one.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 08:00 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I can understand it being in RPG games, because it would make it ridiculous if you could be infinitely chased.

Also I'm not sure if it classifies as A.I. or not, but rubberbanding in any racing game is terrible and has no valid reason for inclusion.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 17th, 2018, 08:00 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I can understand it being in RPG games, because it would make it ridiculous if you could be infinitely chased.

Also I'm not sure if it classifies as A.I. or not, but rubberbanding in any racing game is terrible and has no valid reason for inclusion.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, that at least has the spark of a good idea behind it: it's trying to keep the player challenged. You want to allow the player to win, but you also don't want them breezing through the game. Admittedly, the implementation is clunky at its best and absolutely annoyingly fake difficulty at its worst, but there's an honestly good idea behind it.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Well, that at least has the spark of a good idea behind it: it's trying to keep the player challenged. You want to allow the player to win, but you also don't want them breezing through the game. Admittedly, the implementation is clunky at its best and absolutely annoyingly fake difficulty at its worst, but there's an honestly good idea behind it.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Also I'm not sure if it classifies as A.I. or not, but rubberbanding in any racing game is terrible and has no valid reason for inclusion.

Man, you are gonna love Polaris Snocross, then Tongue

The AI has the "stretchiest rubberband I have ever seen". Go two miles an hour, everyone else does xD

I think the perfect AI to a racing game is that that challenges -but not obliterates- you. Like that of NFS III: Hot Pursuit. You ain't gonna beat the game in one sitting, but you will beat it... eventually.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Quote:Also I'm not sure if it classifies as A.I. or not, but rubberbanding in any racing game is terrible and has no valid reason for inclusion.

Man, you are gonna love Polaris Snocross, then Tongue

The AI has the "stretchiest rubberband I have ever seen". Go two miles an hour, everyone else does xD

I think the perfect AI to a racing game is that that challenges -but not obliterates- you. Like that of NFS III: Hot Pursuit. You ain't gonna beat the game in one sitting, but you will beat it... eventually.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 18th, 2018, 08:57 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
True, it does have a good idea for it. I just rarely see it executed well. Motorstorm's AI can beat you even when you do the perfect race, and ruined the game for me. Higher difficulties should have the AI catch up to you easier, but they're not going to randomly overtake you unless you do something that warrants it such as slowing down. If you're doing nothing wrong and still get overtaken by rubberbanding, then the rubberbanding isn't good.

Also, Sheva has the worst companion AI of any AAA co-op game that I've experienced. However I dare to ask if anyone knows of co-op AI in a game that is worse than her. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 18th, 2018, 08:57 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
True, it does have a good idea for it. I just rarely see it executed well. Motorstorm's AI can beat you even when you do the perfect race, and ruined the game for me. Higher difficulties should have the AI catch up to you easier, but they're not going to randomly overtake you unless you do something that warrants it such as slowing down. If you're doing nothing wrong and still get overtaken by rubberbanding, then the rubberbanding isn't good.

Also, Sheva has the worst companion AI of any AAA co-op game that I've experienced. However I dare to ask if anyone knows of co-op AI in a game that is worse than her. Tongue
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Operation Raccoon City. At least Sheva understands "fire bad" and TRIES to not burn to death!

Also, seriously, if you hate the AI in RE5, play the remaster. Her AI is seriously so much better. For one thing, she immediately reacts to threats against you, meaning you don't have to shout at her that you're about to die, heal me you dumb bitch! She'll recognize it and already have healed you (assuming you two are standing together) by the time you can even call to her. There are also other, much smaller changes that lead to me willingly saying that I'd be almost willing to take her on a Pro difficulty run. ...ALMOST. The only thing that's stopping me from doing is is I DO NOT WANT TO GRIND THAT S*** AGAIN!
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Operation Raccoon City. At least Sheva understands "fire bad" and TRIES to not burn to death!

Also, seriously, if you hate the AI in RE5, play the remaster. Her AI is seriously so much better. For one thing, she immediately reacts to threats against you, meaning you don't have to shout at her that you're about to die, heal me you dumb bitch! She'll recognize it and already have healed you (assuming you two are standing together) by the time you can even call to her. There are also other, much smaller changes that lead to me willingly saying that I'd be almost willing to take her on a Pro difficulty run. ...ALMOST. The only thing that's stopping me from doing is is I DO NOT WANT TO GRIND THAT S*** AGAIN!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game Characters That Had Good Development? Moonface 17 2,933 Oct 7th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Bad Representative Games Maniakkid25 4 871 May 16th, 2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Games That Released At Wrong/Bad Times Moonface 14 3,356 Jun 21st, 2022, 09:02 PM
  Games That Are Good/Bad Value for Money? Moonface 8 2,638 Oct 15th, 2021, 10:18 PM
  Good/Bad Examples of Game Monetization Moonface 3 2,899 Jun 5th, 2020, 06:44 PM