26. Jumanji The Video Game

Here are two new games that I got on April 14th and April 17th:

27: Puyo Puyo Tetris
28: Minecraft
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh Puyo Puyo was one of the first games I got for my Switch, though that was more out of necessity than genuine interest. There was a hurricane coming and we'd most definitely lose power so we bought a few Switch games with the hopes of playing them offline for as long as the battery allowed.

The Switch has definitely become the new Vita market, so there's a large swath of the types of games you play, DL, that will surface on it. But yeah like you said, 90% of that stuff generally comes to Steam (and will almost guaranteed run as good or better).
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh Puyo Puyo was one of the first games I got for my Switch, though that was more out of necessity than genuine interest. There was a hurricane coming and we'd most definitely lose power so we bought a few Switch games with the hopes of playing them offline for as long as the battery allowed.

The Switch has definitely become the new Vita market, so there's a large swath of the types of games you play, DL, that will surface on it. But yeah like you said, 90% of that stuff generally comes to Steam (and will almost guaranteed run as good or better).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So I just saw that Nintendo's recent financial results state that the Switch has sold 84.59 million units, and their financial report overall is so good that it has made Nintendo the achievers of the highest profitablity in a fiscal year ever by a console maker.

Compared to the same time frame for the PS2's sales, the Switch is also 13 million units ahead of the PS2's roughly 71 million, which could mean that the Switch may go on to become the best selling console of all time if it can keep up the momentum it has and has a decent longevity like the PS2 did.

It's crazy to see how well the Switch is doing when I think back on how badly the Wii U did. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,679 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So I just saw that Nintendo's recent financial results state that the Switch has sold 84.59 million units, and their financial report overall is so good that it has made Nintendo the achievers of the highest profitablity in a fiscal year ever by a console maker.

Compared to the same time frame for the PS2's sales, the Switch is also 13 million units ahead of the PS2's roughly 71 million, which could mean that the Switch may go on to become the best selling console of all time if it can keep up the momentum it has and has a decent longevity like the PS2 did.

It's crazy to see how well the Switch is doing when I think back on how badly the Wii U did. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It seems cyclical for Nintendo to do. They have their hit console, it mellows out and tanks with subsequent releases, then bam, they strike gold again. It's just this time, it didn't take as long of a console period than the previous time. Although in my opinion, it has everything to do with marketing and investing. If you market well and provide ease of development, you have the recipe of a good console release. Nintendo notably generally just has the marketing that tides them over but with the WiiU, it was bad on both fronts so that really messed them up.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It seems cyclical for Nintendo to do. They have their hit console, it mellows out and tanks with subsequent releases, then bam, they strike gold again. It's just this time, it didn't take as long of a console period than the previous time. Although in my opinion, it has everything to do with marketing and investing. If you market well and provide ease of development, you have the recipe of a good console release. Nintendo notably generally just has the marketing that tides them over but with the WiiU, it was bad on both fronts so that really messed them up.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Nintendo Switch (OLED) Model Announced
Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! The new Nintendo Switch (OLED) model features a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio.

The Nintendo Switch (OLED) model will be available on October 8 for $349.99.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Nintendo Switch (OLED) Model Announced
Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! The new Nintendo Switch (OLED) model features a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio.

The Nintendo Switch (OLED) model will be available on October 8 for $349.99.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As much as I absolutely love OLED screens, not sure if I'm going to be able to justify this. Re-buying a Switch, and at a $50 higher price tag, just for the OLED screen with no other upgrades seems like a pretty bad deal.

I was really hoping they'd at least get games to run at 1080p on this thing. OLED screens are absolutely gorgeous, but I feel like the games aren't going to make the most out of that screen due to the very limited quality of them. Games will still look better and prettier for sure, but there's a lot of lost potential here.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As much as I absolutely love OLED screens, not sure if I'm going to be able to justify this. Re-buying a Switch, and at a $50 higher price tag, just for the OLED screen with no other upgrades seems like a pretty bad deal.

I was really hoping they'd at least get games to run at 1080p on this thing. OLED screens are absolutely gorgeous, but I feel like the games aren't going to make the most out of that screen due to the very limited quality of them. Games will still look better and prettier for sure, but there's a lot of lost potential here.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'm surprised that there was nothing done to at least improve the performance and display of games given the improved screen. Although, did Nintendo ever do that for the XL versions of their handheld systems?

I would like to hope that the improved kickstand isn't exclusive to the OLED version. There's no reason to not make at least that standard for the regular Switch model, and maybe even the LAN dock too (I doubt it costs more to put that in when you factor in the removed USB port).

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'm surprised that there was nothing done to at least improve the performance and display of games given the improved screen. Although, did Nintendo ever do that for the XL versions of their handheld systems?

I would like to hope that the improved kickstand isn't exclusive to the OLED version. There's no reason to not make at least that standard for the regular Switch model, and maybe even the LAN dock too (I doubt it costs more to put that in when you factor in the removed USB port).
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah the removed USB port to give space for the LAN port is bad, couldn't fit both in there somehow? I'm happy with my standard Switch for now, rarely play in stand mode, even more rarely in handheld. I already bought myself a stand anyway to use, which includes battery charge, as I'm afraid of the tiny piece the standard Switch has to keep up right will snap off, so the new adjustable kickstand is worthless to me. Eh So the OLED Switch is most likely a no for me.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah the removed USB port to give space for the LAN port is bad, couldn't fit both in there somehow? I'm happy with my standard Switch for now, rarely play in stand mode, even more rarely in handheld. I already bought myself a stand anyway to use, which includes battery charge, as I'm afraid of the tiny piece the standard Switch has to keep up right will snap off, so the new adjustable kickstand is worthless to me. Eh So the OLED Switch is most likely a no for me.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
From what I seen on twitter most people seem to think that it not really worth it unless you don't already have a switch or you play on the go a lot.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
From what I seen on twitter most people seem to think that it not really worth it unless you don't already have a switch or you play on the go a lot.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 7th, 2021, 10:39 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Well the original dock features three USB ports, so to remove one and put it down to two in favour of a LAN port isn't that bad. Right now I have to use one of my USB ports for a LAN adapter so that I can have my Switch wired to the internet for better speeds.
What stand do you have that features a battery charge included? Right now the only thing I've ever used as a better stand for my Switch is the travel case I put it in, which is fine but an ability to charge the system at the same time could be useful for things like long flights and stuff.

(Jul 7th, 2021, 03:21 PM)Karo Wrote:
Yeah, and then I wonder why didn't they put a better screen and storage into the Lite, which is dedicated to being in handheld mode. I don't think Nintendo have ever really released a hardware revision that was massively appealing to existing owners of the system though.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 7th, 2021, 10:39 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Well the original dock features three USB ports, so to remove one and put it down to two in favour of a LAN port isn't that bad. Right now I have to use one of my USB ports for a LAN adapter so that I can have my Switch wired to the internet for better speeds.
What stand do you have that features a battery charge included? Right now the only thing I've ever used as a better stand for my Switch is the travel case I put it in, which is fine but an ability to charge the system at the same time could be useful for things like long flights and stuff.

(Jul 7th, 2021, 03:21 PM)Karo Wrote:
Yeah, and then I wonder why didn't they put a better screen and storage into the Lite, which is dedicated to being in handheld mode. I don't think Nintendo have ever really released a hardware revision that was massively appealing to existing owners of the system though.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I thought the N3DS was a pretty worthwhile upgrade over the 3DS. That had much better battery life, bigger screens and the layout of the system was much better than the default 3DS.

This though? Yeah, no. The screen is a huge improvement, but that's it. Hopefully if they ever do a true "Pro" version of the Switch, they'll keep it with an OLED screen though.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I thought the N3DS was a pretty worthwhile upgrade over the 3DS. That had much better battery life, bigger screens and the layout of the system was much better than the default 3DS.

This though? Yeah, no. The screen is a huge improvement, but that's it. Hopefully if they ever do a true "Pro" version of the Switch, they'll keep it with an OLED screen though.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Jul 7th, 2021, 04:51 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I was just thinking about those who might use all three for charging controllers, another storage spot or something else. I use one at the moment myself, haven't even got a LAN adapter yet and know I need one for online.

I've got a GAMEware Essentials Battery And Stand for my Switch. Same USB for a controller for the battery, charge up and you're good to go, even without the battery the stand is good by itself too. I haven't even used it for the battery yet, I don't play long enough when in stand mode. I should charge it just in case. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Jul 7th, 2021, 04:51 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I was just thinking about those who might use all three for charging controllers, another storage spot or something else. I use one at the moment myself, haven't even got a LAN adapter yet and know I need one for online.

I've got a GAMEware Essentials Battery And Stand for my Switch. Same USB for a controller for the battery, charge up and you're good to go, even without the battery the stand is good by itself too. I haven't even used it for the battery yet, I don't play long enough when in stand mode. I should charge it just in case. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So for whatever reason someone would have to buy one other than their existing dock being broken or being a collector, Nintendo has stated that you can buy the OLED model dock exclusively through their website.
Nintendo Wrote:
The white dock and black dock will be sold separately (no HDMI cable, no AC adaptor, not in a package) on the Nintendo online store. It will not be sold at retail.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So for whatever reason someone would have to buy one other than their existing dock being broken or being a collector, Nintendo has stated that you can buy the OLED model dock exclusively through their website.
Nintendo Wrote:
The white dock and black dock will be sold separately (no HDMI cable, no AC adaptor, not in a package) on the Nintendo online store. It will not be sold at retail.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a few outlets today have all reported that Nintendo plans to bring Game Boy and Game Boy Color games to Nintendo Switch Online: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-...tch-online

Eurogamer is particular, who I linked to, also say their sources have stated that other retro platforms are also on the table to come to the service.

Is there any particular games anyone hopes to see if this turns out to be true? Smile
I don't have a preference myself since I never played more than one or two games from the GB, so I'd just like being able to try out games I missed out on without trying to figure out what to even go for and finding access to it. At least this way I could just boot up whatever gets offered and give it a bash.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a few outlets today have all reported that Nintendo plans to bring Game Boy and Game Boy Color games to Nintendo Switch Online: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-...tch-online

Eurogamer is particular, who I linked to, also say their sources have stated that other retro platforms are also on the table to come to the service.

Is there any particular games anyone hopes to see if this turns out to be true? Smile
I don't have a preference myself since I never played more than one or two games from the GB, so I'd just like being able to try out games I missed out on without trying to figure out what to even go for and finding access to it. At least this way I could just boot up whatever gets offered and give it a bash.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I saw this circulating around Twitter while I was in the car on the way home from shopping. I don't care so much about Gameboy and GBC games, but this is a huge first step towards what actually matters -- Finally getting Gameboy Advanced games on the service.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I saw this circulating around Twitter while I was in the car on the way home from shopping. I don't care so much about Gameboy and GBC games, but this is a huge first step towards what actually matters -- Finally getting Gameboy Advanced games on the service.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U to be Discontinued Moonface 18 615 Apr 7th, 2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Nintendo Switch's Successor Moonface 7 784 Sep 7th, 2023, 02:22 AM
  N64 and Genesis – Nintendo Switch Online Library Moonface 19 2,561 Apr 7th, 2023, 10:32 PM
  Nintendo Switch is 5 Years Old Today Moonface 6 1,886 Mar 7th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  PSA: Enable 2FA on Your Nintendo Accounts Moonface 6 4,361 Apr 24th, 2020, 05:21 PM