Need For Speed (Series)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
[Image: nfs_logo_white-2x.png]

Who else is/was a fan of this series? What games have you played, and what one was your favourite?

I got into Need For Speed when Underground 2 was close to release, as I had recently gotten into the Fast & Furious movies and the night time racing and car customisation felt very much like the early F&F movies. After I finished NFSU2, I got Underground and while it was cool, I remember feeling a little disappointing with it at first because it wasn't open world like NFSU2. Most Wanted was also a little disappointing for me, because it was set during the day and car customisation felt lacking in favour of police chases. Carbon looked like it was going to deliver the best of NFSU2 and NFSMW06 but for some reason that game just didn't click with me and I stopped caring for the Need For Speed games after that.

Underground 2 was my favourite, and if EA ever announced a sequel to that I would be all over it if they did it right. Whistle

Also like most racing titles should, Need For Speed should just drop the attempts at storytelling. It's never that good and I doubt it's what anyone buys those games for. Just say "This is what you're working towards" and leave it be.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
[Image: nfs_logo_white-2x.png]

Who else is/was a fan of this series? What games have you played, and what one was your favourite?

I got into Need For Speed when Underground 2 was close to release, as I had recently gotten into the Fast & Furious movies and the night time racing and car customisation felt very much like the early F&F movies. After I finished NFSU2, I got Underground and while it was cool, I remember feeling a little disappointing with it at first because it wasn't open world like NFSU2. Most Wanted was also a little disappointing for me, because it was set during the day and car customisation felt lacking in favour of police chases. Carbon looked like it was going to deliver the best of NFSU2 and NFSMW06 but for some reason that game just didn't click with me and I stopped caring for the Need For Speed games after that.

Underground 2 was my favourite, and if EA ever announced a sequel to that I would be all over it if they did it right. Whistle

Also like most racing titles should, Need For Speed should just drop the attempts at storytelling. It's never that good and I doubt it's what anyone buys those games for. Just say "This is what you're working towards" and leave it be.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
I spent countless hours playing Need for Speed SE. Then a bit of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit by the time Underground came out I really didn't care for the director it went.

Lazy Game Reviews has a ton of episodes on different Need for Speed games, too many to even to attempt to link, but I suggest you check them out.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
I spent countless hours playing Need for Speed SE. Then a bit of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit by the time Underground came out I really didn't care for the director it went.

Lazy Game Reviews has a ton of episodes on different Need for Speed games, too many to even to attempt to link, but I suggest you check them out.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I lost interest around Underground. I hated the whole F&F craze and missed all the supercars the series was known for. We went from cars like Lamborghini to Honda’s. Not my cup of tea. NFS1-6 were all gold, back then you knew NFS meant quality. That’s not the case today.

NFS High Stakes is still my favorite followed by Hot Pursuit 2 which was the last great one imo. I recognize the gameplay of Underground was good though but I couldn’t get past the car selection.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I lost interest around Underground. I hated the whole F&F craze and missed all the supercars the series was known for. We went from cars like Lamborghini to Honda’s. Not my cup of tea. NFS1-6 were all gold, back then you knew NFS meant quality. That’s not the case today.

NFS High Stakes is still my favorite followed by Hot Pursuit 2 which was the last great one imo. I recognize the gameplay of Underground was good though but I couldn’t get past the car selection.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Carbon brought back Lamborghini's, but I can see why they would've been left out when Underground came along because they're not a car you would associate with being customised for underground street racing.

I think after the Underground games EA viewed Need For Speed as a name that sells on name and so didn't have any problems trying various approaches with it rather than taking those ideas for a new IP instead.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Carbon brought back Lamborghini's, but I can see why they would've been left out when Underground came along because they're not a car you would associate with being customised for underground street racing.

I think after the Underground games EA viewed Need For Speed as a name that sells on name and so didn't have any problems trying various approaches with it rather than taking those ideas for a new IP instead.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 2nd, 2018, 10:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:

That is what EA does to every game, like Command and Conquer, Battle field (being turned in to a battle royal), Medal of Honor, the last burnout game wasn't even Burn out it was more fitting of a Need for Speed game (racing and shit, no real focus on crashing and destruction), Sim City 2013 (Single player only game is now multiplayer/forced online), The Sims and the souless DLC ridden content that comes out now, etc, etc, etc.

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

That is what EA does to every game, like Command and Conquer, Battle field (being turned in to a battle royal), Medal of Honor, the last burnout game wasn't even Burn out it was more fitting of a Need for Speed game (racing and shit, no real focus on crashing and destruction), Sim City 2013 (Single player only game is now multiplayer/forced online), The Sims and the souless DLC ridden content that comes out now, etc, etc, etc.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams

Yeah they’ve been hit and miss ever since and lately more miss than hit. I also dislike open world racing games so I hated when Criterion got ahold of it and made it all open world. Very few open world racing games have given me enjoyment. Imo the time you spend driving to the next race is wasted but I can see why people like driving around just goofing off.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams

Yeah they’ve been hit and miss ever since and lately more miss than hit. I also dislike open world racing games so I hated when Criterion got ahold of it and made it all open world. Very few open world racing games have given me enjoyment. Imo the time you spend driving to the next race is wasted but I can see why people like driving around just goofing off.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I got into the series for Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit and that game only, but it was one of the best driving games I have ever seen. All of the rest felt like a complete step back in my opinion.

I still have the disc and everything, but stupid teen me didn't know how to take care of his junk and it no longer works ;/

At least I got to beat it.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I got into the series for Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit and that game only, but it was one of the best driving games I have ever seen. All of the rest felt like a complete step back in my opinion.

I still have the disc and everything, but stupid teen me didn't know how to take care of his junk and it no longer works ;/

lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 3rd, 2018, 12:10 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

I still have the disc and everything, but stupid teen me didn't know how to take care of his junk and it longer no works ;/

At lease you, your self is to blame, I lost many of a CDs to my brother would would just lay them out and allow them to get scratched to hell.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 3rd, 2018, 12:10 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

I still have the disc and everything, but stupid teen me didn't know how to take care of his junk and it longer no works ;/

At lease you, your self is to blame, I lost many of a CDs to my brother would would just lay them out and allow them to get scratched to hell.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Need for Speed Underground 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted was all I had of the series. Did have a look at Carbon, even having demo of it on PC at one point but didn't get the full game.

Enjoyed Underground 2 and Most Wanted for different reasons. Night setting for Underground 2 was brilliant, and customised my best cars from that, even though I'd probably consider them awful now. I remember really liking my cars. XD

Although was annoying in Most Wanted getting chased by the police when you didn't want it, and just wanting to chill and drive freely, I only enjoyed chases when I wanted to do them. Successfully evading felt cool if you did it in a stylish way, like knocking down something, blocking their path, or losing them cleverly. I think it was the three or four star with the big cars that charged you and make you stop were by ramming into you (or rather that's what they were trying to do) were insane. Those moments could come so suddenly and take you off guard, so if you avoided them it was awesome. Same with blockades kind of, just less sudden, and spikes.

Soundtracks were hit and miss. Some were just not my thing, so I turned them off when I could, and kept the ones that gave me adrenaline when hearing them. Skindred's Nobody and Celldweller's One Good Reason Instrumental. =3  Obviously others, can't remember them until I hear them. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Need for Speed Underground 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted was all I had of the series. Did have a look at Carbon, even having demo of it on PC at one point but didn't get the full game.

Enjoyed Underground 2 and Most Wanted for different reasons. Night setting for Underground 2 was brilliant, and customised my best cars from that, even though I'd probably consider them awful now. I remember really liking my cars. XD

Although was annoying in Most Wanted getting chased by the police when you didn't want it, and just wanting to chill and drive freely, I only enjoyed chases when I wanted to do them. Successfully evading felt cool if you did it in a stylish way, like knocking down something, blocking their path, or losing them cleverly. I think it was the three or four star with the big cars that charged you and make you stop were by ramming into you (or rather that's what they were trying to do) were insane. Those moments could come so suddenly and take you off guard, so if you avoided them it was awesome. Same with blockades kind of, just less sudden, and spikes.

Soundtracks were hit and miss. Some were just not my thing, so I turned them off when I could, and kept the ones that gave me adrenaline when hearing them. Skindred's Nobody and Celldweller's One Good Reason Instrumental. =3  Obviously others, can't remember them until I hear them. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I hate how this seems to be making a very good attempt at covering all the bases that different Need for Speed fans want—with the day racing being focused on tailored courses while night is more like Underground or Carbon—because of how I really can't trust the game to not have some shady EA stuff thrown in or just having something dodgy (which seems likely to be the handling model, given so far the majority of people believe it looks very similar to Payback's which apparently wasn't that great).

Assuming there isn't any glaring problem with gameplay, then I just hope the customization is close to Underground 2's. I've never found NFS games that followed it that I played to have as many options as that game does. They added new ones, but it always felt lacking in comparison for me.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I hate how this seems to be making a very good attempt at covering all the bases that different Need for Speed fans want—with the day racing being focused on tailored courses while night is more like Underground or Carbon—because of how I really can't trust the game to not have some shady EA stuff thrown in or just having something dodgy (which seems likely to be the handling model, given so far the majority of people believe it looks very similar to Payback's which apparently wasn't that great).

Assuming there isn't any glaring problem with gameplay, then I just hope the customization is close to Underground 2's. I've never found NFS games that followed it that I played to have as many options as that game does. They added new ones, but it always felt lacking in comparison for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 114 11,924 2 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 25,978 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,449 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,270 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,843 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface