Universal Chat Thread
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,529
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Maniakkid25: Oof. Are you playing where your characters can die if they fail a saving throw at 1HP? That would suck if you had potentially died in the very first game. Yikes

@Mr EliteL: Ah. Well at least it wasn't a bad fall in the end. You saying you hurt after made me concerned because I had something at the end of last year where I gently crushed my middle finger at work but it was so gentle it didn't hurt at the time and I thought nothing of it, but it has caused some form of swelling on my knuckle that has yet to go away four months later. 

As for getting better, I have yet to do so. I was prescribed a thing called Tamiflu but it wasn't filled until today so now it's potentially too late to take it because it's meant to be done in the first 48 hours of diagnosis, so @ShiraNoMai is currently calling around to ask what I'm meant to do now. I miss sleep because every night I'm coughing my head off and my stomach is killing me from pulling muscles due to the coughing. x.x
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,529 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Maniakkid25: Oof. Are you playing where your characters can die if they fail a saving throw at 1HP? That would suck if you had potentially died in the very first game. Yikes

@Mr EliteL: Ah. Well at least it wasn't a bad fall in the end. You saying you hurt after made me concerned because I had something at the end of last year where I gently crushed my middle finger at work but it was so gentle it didn't hurt at the time and I thought nothing of it, but it has caused some form of swelling on my knuckle that has yet to go away four months later. 

As for getting better, I have yet to do so. I was prescribed a thing called Tamiflu but it wasn't filled until today so now it's potentially too late to take it because it's meant to be done in the first 48 hours of diagnosis, so @ShiraNoMai is currently calling around to ask what I'm meant to do now. I miss sleep because every night I'm coughing my head off and my stomach is killing me from pulling muscles due to the coughing. x.x
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Apr 20th, 2024, 04:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, you need to hit 0 and then fail flat checks (raw d20 rolls) 4 times in a row and not get healed before then in order to die. Permadeath is on at our level, though, so it would have been quite awkward if I had gotten killed on the first session, especially with the spooders coming up we gotta deal with.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Apr 20th, 2024, 04:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, you need to hit 0 and then fail flat checks (raw d20 rolls) 4 times in a row and not get healed before then in order to die. Permadeath is on at our level, though, so it would have been quite awkward if I had gotten killed on the first session, especially with the spooders coming up we gotta deal with.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 20th, 2024, 06:28 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah. And oh? I'm guessing your build in particular is suited to dealing with the spiders better than other people in the party?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Apr 20th, 2024, 06:28 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah. And oh? I'm guessing your build in particular is suited to dealing with the spiders better than other people in the party?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
No, no; it's just that they'd be taking an encounter balanced for 4 players, and doing it with 3 players lol. I plan to open with a Force Barrage, blasting the main spider for an auto-hitting 3d4+3. Here's hoping I roll good!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
No, no; it's just that they'd be taking an encounter balanced for 4 players, and doing it with 3 players lol. I plan to open with a Force Barrage, blasting the main spider for an auto-hitting 3d4+3. Here's hoping I roll good!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I see. So if you or anyone else had died in that first session, would you have just been out or would you just make a new character and somehow get inserted back into the story later on? I've never played a game of DnD where outright death has been a thing (since we're all still novices and our DM didn't want to be that mean to us) so I don't really know what that actually entails beyond a bare minimum knowledge of saving throw mechanics. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I see. So if you or anyone else had died in that first session, would you have just been out or would you just make a new character and somehow get inserted back into the story later on? I've never played a game of DnD where outright death has been a thing (since we're all still novices and our DM didn't want to be that mean to us) so I don't really know what that actually entails beyond a bare minimum knowledge of saving throw mechanics. Unsure
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Make a new character and get inserted later. I've been through a few character deaths, so it's nothing new. You're just out until the GM can find a place to insert your new character. Unless you voluntarily remove yourself from the game after that character death, you just gotta wait.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Make a new character and get inserted later. I've been through a few character deaths, so it's nothing new. You're just out until the GM can find a place to insert your new character. Unless you voluntarily remove yourself from the game after that character death, you just gotta wait.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Hmm. I can't decide whether I'd want to still be present for games where I'm currently without a character. Not because of boredom but because not knowing anything that happens would be fitting for when I come back in with a character, but on the other hand I'd want to see what stuff everyone else has to go through and how they deal with it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Hmm. I can't decide whether I'd want to still be present for games where I'm currently without a character. Not because of boredom but because not knowing anything that happens would be fitting for when I come back in with a character, but on the other hand I'd want to see what stuff everyone else has to go through and how they deal with it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah I'd personally still like to sit in and cheer on, even if the DM relegates me to a NPC-style character, I'd take it up lol

Speaking of games you'd have to sit out for, we had such a comedy of errors in a planned multiworld game I was participating in today. There were 5 of us, and it started as thus: 4/5 got their games hooked up and ready, and the 1/5 just could not get the modloader to launch without crashing and thus couldn't participate, after more than an hour of troubleshooting. 2/5 of us (including myself) we're playing Yoshi's Island (which just got recently merged into the main branch!), and as we begun playing, we noticed our checks weren't being sent out, nor were we receiving any. After 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I manage to figure it out... just for the other person playing Yoshi's internet get cut. Physically cut-- their lawn maintenance cut the line somehow. So now we're down another person. At that point, one of the only other people playing (who began with no issues) had been in BK mode for a while and decided it wasn't worth continuing so respectfully backed out, leaving just me and one other person. We decide, okay, we'll just do it with us two and generate a new seed/room. That starts, and we're playing for quite a few hours, and I'm unsure how but I suddenly got disconnected, and went to reconnect and my save file was completely wiped. Normally that wouldn't be too troublesome cuz I'd load the game and all my checks up until that point would come back into play. All, of course, but any in-game progression, which was boss fights, of which I had needed to do all of them all over again. I had to mercy kill it lmao
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah I'd personally still like to sit in and cheer on, even if the DM relegates me to a NPC-style character, I'd take it up lol

Speaking of games you'd have to sit out for, we had such a comedy of errors in a planned multiworld game I was participating in today. There were 5 of us, and it started as thus: 4/5 got their games hooked up and ready, and the 1/5 just could not get the modloader to launch without crashing and thus couldn't participate, after more than an hour of troubleshooting. 2/5 of us (including myself) we're playing Yoshi's Island (which just got recently merged into the main branch!), and as we begun playing, we noticed our checks weren't being sent out, nor were we receiving any. After 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I manage to figure it out... just for the other person playing Yoshi's internet get cut. Physically cut-- their lawn maintenance cut the line somehow. So now we're down another person. At that point, one of the only other people playing (who began with no issues) had been in BK mode for a while and decided it wasn't worth continuing so respectfully backed out, leaving just me and one other person. We decide, okay, we'll just do it with us two and generate a new seed/room. That starts, and we're playing for quite a few hours, and I'm unsure how but I suddenly got disconnected, and went to reconnect and my save file was completely wiped. Normally that wouldn't be too troublesome cuz I'd load the game and all my checks up until that point would come back into play. All, of course, but any in-game progression, which was boss fights, of which I had needed to do all of them all over again. I had to mercy kill it lmao
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Jebus. Speaking of comedy of errors, we had another Pathfinder game today, and it got terrifying. We ran into undead, and for those that don't know DnD/Pathfinder, undead are a legitimately terrifying problem to have at first level. See, skeletons are resistant to slashing and piercing weapons, meaning you have to beat them with bludgeoning weapons (e.g. a mace), and zombies are resistant to piercing and bludgeoning weapons, meaning you have to cut them with slashing weapons (e.g. a sword). This is why you always have alternate weapons! Worse yet, our Cleric was a complete newbie, but our DM threw him a bone and straight up told him the Heal/Harm dynamic of Pathfinder. See, living creatures run on Vitality Energy, and so are healed by Heal and harmed by Harm. But Undead creatures run on VOID Energy, so the damage dynamic is reversed! They are harmed by Heal and healed by Harm! So, he was able to wipe the field with a blast of Vitality.

It actually got worse when our gunner ran into a trap no one saw, and took 2d8 damage when they were near full health. It did 15 damage, and instantly knocked them unconscious. We got lucky, though, and the major enemy in that combat got sleeped by that newbie Cleric, and it rolled a critical fail on his save, knocking the enemy out for an hour!

We also had to solve a math problem! One player knew the answer OOC, but legitimately said "my character is too dumb to know this answer", and left us to fumble with the answer. See, we were given 9 coins, and had to figure one which one was a fake. The only thing we could do is weigh the coins (as the fake coin was heavier than any of the real coins), and we could only weigh them twice before we had to guess. I started going down the completely wrong path, and then another player keyed into the correct path and corrected me. I absolutely listened, and we got it right, which earned us a nice little pile of cash (about 7 gold pieces -- which is about half of your starting cash when you're building a character, so its a surprisingly high amount).

We came in here expecting to kill rats and spiders, and it turned out there was an entire goddamn dungeon just hidden in this place that no one knew about?! With, like, Kobolds and shit?! We're resting before we take on the second floor, because we got absolutely owned from all the battles we had. Also, I crit failed disabling a trap, and had it drop on me for 10 damage!

Oh, and I did not end up Force Barraging a spider like I planned. We burned its home, and crit it with a gun, killing it in one hit lol. Oh, and I got to use my thieve's tools (to which my GM legitimately said "Wait, you have thieve's tools?!" I said "I'm trained in thievery, so I said 'might as well'.") to open a locked door. Got 20 gold (?!) and a magic weapon (?!). Now I'm really glad I got them and didn't crit fail that check lol!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Jebus. Speaking of comedy of errors, we had another Pathfinder game today, and it got terrifying. We ran into undead, and for those that don't know DnD/Pathfinder, undead are a legitimately terrifying problem to have at first level. See, skeletons are resistant to slashing and piercing weapons, meaning you have to beat them with bludgeoning weapons (e.g. a mace), and zombies are resistant to piercing and bludgeoning weapons, meaning you have to cut them with slashing weapons (e.g. a sword). This is why you always have alternate weapons! Worse yet, our Cleric was a complete newbie, but our DM threw him a bone and straight up told him the Heal/Harm dynamic of Pathfinder. See, living creatures run on Vitality Energy, and so are healed by Heal and harmed by Harm. But Undead creatures run on VOID Energy, so the damage dynamic is reversed! They are harmed by Heal and healed by Harm! So, he was able to wipe the field with a blast of Vitality.

It actually got worse when our gunner ran into a trap no one saw, and took 2d8 damage when they were near full health. It did 15 damage, and instantly knocked them unconscious. We got lucky, though, and the major enemy in that combat got sleeped by that newbie Cleric, and it rolled a critical fail on his save, knocking the enemy out for an hour!

We also had to solve a math problem! One player knew the answer OOC, but legitimately said "my character is too dumb to know this answer", and left us to fumble with the answer. See, we were given 9 coins, and had to figure one which one was a fake. The only thing we could do is weigh the coins (as the fake coin was heavier than any of the real coins), and we could only weigh them twice before we had to guess. I started going down the completely wrong path, and then another player keyed into the correct path and corrected me. I absolutely listened, and we got it right, which earned us a nice little pile of cash (about 7 gold pieces -- which is about half of your starting cash when you're building a character, so its a surprisingly high amount).

We came in here expecting to kill rats and spiders, and it turned out there was an entire goddamn dungeon just hidden in this place that no one knew about?! With, like, Kobolds and shit?! We're resting before we take on the second floor, because we got absolutely owned from all the battles we had. Also, I crit failed disabling a trap, and had it drop on me for 10 damage!

Oh, and I did not end up Force Barraging a spider like I planned. We burned its home, and crit it with a gun, killing it in one hit lol. Oh, and I got to use my thieve's tools (to which my GM legitimately said "Wait, you have thieve's tools?!" I said "I'm trained in thievery, so I said 'might as well'.") to open a locked door. Got 20 gold (?!) and a magic weapon (?!). Now I'm really glad I got them and didn't crit fail that check lol!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Car/Vehicle Thread Moonface 0 26 Apr 20th, 2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  [BREAKING] News Thread ShiraNoMai 240 45,230 Mar 29th, 2024, 11:04 PM
  The Movie Thread Moonface 88 22,334 Mar 27th, 2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Universal Gaming Marketplace Moonface 87 63,128 Mar 10th, 2024, 09:04 PM
  General Anime/Manga Chat Karo 121 50,143 Mar 2nd, 2024, 09:15 PM