Bombay the Hardway Baby.
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
XP: 110
What's up!

I'm Bollywood. 

I suppose picking a few favourite series would be a good place to start for an introduction? I really like Resident Evil, Soulsborne games, Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon and Shin Megami. I'd say that's a pretty consistent top five, except the fifth slot is constantly changing. 

Besides gaming I'm really into English (I just graduated with a BS in writing-- I know that sounds bizarre) and specially really enjoy character writing and development when looking at text, film and obviously video games. I also skateboard around a little bit, though not as much as I did before and jam with a few friends (I'm mainly a string player.)

So....ask any questions if you have any? Looking forward to meeting many others from different walks with both different and similar taste.
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
What's up!

I'm Bollywood. 

I suppose picking a few favourite series would be a good place to start for an introduction? I really like Resident Evil, Soulsborne games, Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon and Shin Megami. I'd say that's a pretty consistent top five, except the fifth slot is constantly changing. 

Besides gaming I'm really into English (I just graduated with a BS in writing-- I know that sounds bizarre) and specially really enjoy character writing and development when looking at text, film and obviously video games. I also skateboard around a little bit, though not as much as I did before and jam with a few friends (I'm mainly a string player.)

So....ask any questions if you have any? Looking forward to meeting many others from different walks with both different and similar taste.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Hello and welcome, I am the ranty old man of this community, I don't bite I just rant Whistle

So are your thoughts on vaperwave?

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Hello and welcome, I am the ranty old man of this community, I don't bite I just rant Whistle

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Welcome to the community Bollywood. I've played a few Resident Evil games myself, and I doubt there's many here who haven't played a Pokemon game. Are you looking forward to the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 2? Smile
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Welcome to the community Bollywood. I've played a few Resident Evil games myself, and I doubt there's many here who haven't played a Pokemon game. Are you looking forward to the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 2? Smile
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Hey Bollywood, I've seen you around on tch as well. Welcome to UG! So, which Pokemon game is your favorite?? Whistle
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Hey Bollywood, I've seen you around on tch as well. Welcome to UG! So, which Pokemon game is your favorite?? Whistle
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
(Aug 20th, 2018, 02:32 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Hello and welcome, I am the ranty old man of this community, I don't bite I just rant Whistle

Thank you! Ranting old men are great, and lite-nibbles are alright I suppose....Maybe....

As far as Vaporwave goes I found the art quite appealing (columns, purple and 90's stuff is rad) but didn't fall in love with the music right away? However it grew on me. Especially the stuff that still follows generic theory-- once you get to projects that purely exist for the deconstruction of the genre I can take it or leave, though some of that is pretty interesting as well. 

(Aug 20th, 2018, 02:40 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Welcome to the community Bollywood. I've played a few Resident Evil games myself, and I doubt there's many here who haven't played a Pokemon game. Are you looking forward to the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 2? Smile
I am beyond excited. I don't really pre-order many things too often nor have I fallen for the "Special Edition" bait for some time-- but I absolutely went out and pre-ordered the version with the Leon statue. I think the only other things that rival my excitement for RE2Remake at this point are Sekiro and the thought of playing as King K. Rool.

(Aug 20th, 2018, 09:39 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Hey Bollywood, I've seen you around on tch as well. Welcome to UG! So, which Pokemon game is your favorite?? Whistle

This question is so, so very tough. Aesthetically Venonat has always been my pal and I think it'd be cool to have one hanging out on my shoulder. However when I went to get my first tattoo I picked Cubone and not Venonat-- I don't really know why? but because of that Cubone is special to me. Gogoat and Emolga are also high on my list.
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
Hello and welcome, I am the ranty old man of this community, I don't bite I just rant Whistle

Thank you! Ranting old men are great, and lite-nibbles are alright I suppose....Maybe....

As far as Vaporwave goes I found the art quite appealing (columns, purple and 90's stuff is rad) but didn't fall in love with the music right away? However it grew on me. Especially the stuff that still follows generic theory-- once you get to projects that purely exist for the deconstruction of the genre I can take it or leave, though some of that is pretty interesting as well. 

(Aug 20th, 2018, 02:40 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Welcome to the community Bollywood. I've played a few Resident Evil games myself, and I doubt there's many here who haven't played a Pokemon game. Are you looking forward to the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 2? Smile
I am beyond excited. I don't really pre-order many things too often nor have I fallen for the "Special Edition" bait for some time-- but I absolutely went out and pre-ordered the version with the Leon statue. I think the only other things that rival my excitement for RE2Remake at this point are Sekiro and the thought of playing as King K. Rool.

(Aug 20th, 2018, 09:39 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Hey Bollywood, I've seen you around on tch as well. Welcome to UG! So, which Pokemon game is your favorite?? Whistle

This question is so, so very tough. Aesthetically Venonat has always been my pal and I think it'd be cool to have one hanging out on my shoulder. However when I went to get my first tattoo I picked Cubone and not Venonat-- I don't really know why? but because of that Cubone is special to me. Gogoat and Emolga are also high on my list.
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Welcome to UG to, Bollywood.

You seem to be in to a variety of stuff game wise. Nintendo and others. So what consoles do you play on?
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Welcome to UG to, Bollywood.

You seem to be in to a variety of stuff game wise. Nintendo and others. So what consoles do you play on?
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 21st, 2018, 07:18 AM)Bollywood Wrote:

I am curious why you associate vaporwave with 90s? My understanding is experience with it has been almost been always 80s, (Macintosh Plus was form the 80s as is the song Vektroid sampled to make the now famous song), most of the 80s were defined by neon which you see in many/most of the art work associated with vaperwave either in its coloring and/or 80s motifs. Then when used as a means to critique consumer culture its almost (in my limited experience) done with 80s songs and mostly those would would have found playing in American malls at the time (which also was the peak of American mall culture)

90s would look more "saved by the bell" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GESf2Rhyc ) or the 90s solo jazz cup (bloody hell they were everywhere) then "lets all go to the mall today!" or Farcry Blood Dragon.

It also doesn't help I watch quite a bit of people who explore dead malls and they almost always play (I guess you can call it "smooth vaperwave" as vaperwave started as a subculture in the noise music scene) with 80 songs/motifs in their videos.
But that is my experience with the genre, I am interested to hear yours.

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

I am curious why you associate vaporwave with 90s? My understanding is experience with it has been almost been always 80s, (Macintosh Plus was form the 80s as is the song Vektroid sampled to make the now famous song), most of the 80s were defined by neon which you see in many/most of the art work associated with vaperwave either in its coloring and/or 80s motifs. Then when used as a means to critique consumer culture its almost (in my limited experience) done with 80s songs and mostly those would would have found playing in American malls at the time (which also was the peak of American mall culture)

90s would look more "saved by the bell" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GESf2Rhyc ) or the 90s solo jazz cup (bloody hell they were everywhere) then "lets all go to the mall today!" or Farcry Blood Dragon.

It also doesn't help I watch quite a bit of people who explore dead malls and they almost always play (I guess you can call it "smooth vaperwave" as vaperwave started as a subculture in the noise music scene) with 80 songs/motifs in their videos.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Welcome, Bollywood! I see you are one with quite a sumptuous taste in games. Out of all the games you've played, which character do you think was the most well-written out of any of the games they were featured in? Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Welcome, Bollywood! I see you are one with quite a sumptuous taste in games. Out of all the games you've played, which character do you think was the most well-written out of any of the games they were featured in? Smile
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
(Aug 21st, 2018, 06:30 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I would certainly say that 80's is just as much, if not more, of an influence than the 90's. As you said Macintosh Plus used Diana Ross to make what is probably the messiah of vaporwave songs. I think my nineties association comes from artist more on the Blank Banshee spectrum using samples from water levels from Sonic 2 and Donkey Kong Country (If we are getting technical though, Blank Banshee would be a sub-genre called vaportrap.) However music aside and looking at art I would say a lot of the nineties I get from it would be from the CGI music videos I've seen from a few vaporwave artist that is almost "ReBoot-ish" in it's production quality (just imagine palm trees and water instead of...well....ReBoot's weird barren world.) Also the constant use of Windows 95 as a motif in vaporwave art is perhaps a culprit to my nineties association?
Also, my introduction to vaporwave was a trail left by the seapunk genre-- so perhaps that is partial to blame because they also heavily use early 90's pop culture stuff in their imagery (such as AOL symbols and whatnot.)

I would say that the mall aesthetic is quite prevalent but I think I thought 90's because the early internet imagery and glitch art really hit-home with me since I was developing during that era. Then again, with all the greco-roman imagery I might as well say it's very 320's BC Tongue

Fun Fact: my phone case it the Solo Jazz cup, and I to this day haven't played Blood Dragon and have been wanting to for so long-- hahaha.

(Aug 21st, 2018, 07:01 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Welcome, Bollywood! I see you are one with quite a sumptuous taste in games. Out of all the games you've played, which character do you think was the most well-written out of any of the games they were featured in? Smile

Whoa. I'm sure my answer on this could change often and I think the angle I approach the character could definitely impact my answer. 

I think a popular (perhaps even cliche) pick would be Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II. Her dialogue is written very well even though consumers didn't get the full game until the release of a content-pack mod on steam. Kreia's constant appraisal is usually because KOTORII is a deconstruction of the Star Wars Game genre simply because of Kreia as she doesn't enforce the black and white morality of good vs evil. Kreia doesn't just question the choices the exile (protagonist) makes throughout a playthrough of the game but also can make you, the player, question morality as well. Any character whose existence can be somewhat "meta," or more accurately thought provoking beyond the setting and lens of the game itself is powerful. 

Though I would like to give props to Lee from Telltales the Walking Dead. I think given what the genre of the game is and how it is played, they couldn't have picked a better protagonist for you to take control of. We are never really  told all the details of Lee's incident with his wife and the murder. Was it out of rage? An accident? Heck, you can even utilize the dialogue options to make it seem like he's innocent. This piece of history of the main character follows him throughout the game but the only credibility as to what actually happened is the dialogue choices you make. Certain choices that are brutal in nature may even make viewers believe that he was very intentional with his murder-- yet my play through Lee was passive and reluctant to make any decisions. As a player I had the assumption that Lee was innocent because of what an officer said to him in the opening scene of the game-- so I played it that way. Giving players the ability to establish that head-canon and not have anything in the game ruin it is definitely noteworthy, even if he isn't "well-written" in the traditional sense. 

I'll leave it at that? Sorry if it was a mouthful, hahaha. I could certainly go on and look at a few more though.
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
(Aug 21st, 2018, 06:30 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I would certainly say that 80's is just as much, if not more, of an influence than the 90's. As you said Macintosh Plus used Diana Ross to make what is probably the messiah of vaporwave songs. I think my nineties association comes from artist more on the Blank Banshee spectrum using samples from water levels from Sonic 2 and Donkey Kong Country (If we are getting technical though, Blank Banshee would be a sub-genre called vaportrap.) However music aside and looking at art I would say a lot of the nineties I get from it would be from the CGI music videos I've seen from a few vaporwave artist that is almost "ReBoot-ish" in it's production quality (just imagine palm trees and water instead of...well....ReBoot's weird barren world.) Also the constant use of Windows 95 as a motif in vaporwave art is perhaps a culprit to my nineties association?
Also, my introduction to vaporwave was a trail left by the seapunk genre-- so perhaps that is partial to blame because they also heavily use early 90's pop culture stuff in their imagery (such as AOL symbols and whatnot.)

I would say that the mall aesthetic is quite prevalent but I think I thought 90's because the early internet imagery and glitch art really hit-home with me since I was developing during that era. Then again, with all the greco-roman imagery I might as well say it's very 320's BC Tongue

Fun Fact: my phone case it the Solo Jazz cup, and I to this day haven't played Blood Dragon and have been wanting to for so long-- hahaha.

(Aug 21st, 2018, 07:01 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Welcome, Bollywood! I see you are one with quite a sumptuous taste in games. Out of all the games you've played, which character do you think was the most well-written out of any of the games they were featured in? Smile

Whoa. I'm sure my answer on this could change often and I think the angle I approach the character could definitely impact my answer. 

I think a popular (perhaps even cliche) pick would be Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II. Her dialogue is written very well even though consumers didn't get the full game until the release of a content-pack mod on steam. Kreia's constant appraisal is usually because KOTORII is a deconstruction of the Star Wars Game genre simply because of Kreia as she doesn't enforce the black and white morality of good vs evil. Kreia doesn't just question the choices the exile (protagonist) makes throughout a playthrough of the game but also can make you, the player, question morality as well. Any character whose existence can be somewhat "meta," or more accurately thought provoking beyond the setting and lens of the game itself is powerful. 

Though I would like to give props to Lee from Telltales the Walking Dead. I think given what the genre of the game is and how it is played, they couldn't have picked a better protagonist for you to take control of. We are never really  told all the details of Lee's incident with his wife and the murder. Was it out of rage? An accident? Heck, you can even utilize the dialogue options to make it seem like he's innocent. This piece of history of the main character follows him throughout the game but the only credibility as to what actually happened is the dialogue choices you make. Certain choices that are brutal in nature may even make viewers believe that he was very intentional with his murder-- yet my play through Lee was passive and reluctant to make any decisions. As a player I had the assumption that Lee was innocent because of what an officer said to him in the opening scene of the game-- so I played it that way. Giving players the ability to establish that head-canon and not have anything in the game ruin it is definitely noteworthy, even if he isn't "well-written" in the traditional sense. 

I'll leave it at that? Sorry if it was a mouthful, hahaha. I could certainly go on and look at a few more though.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
I forgot about the Windows 95 aesthetics some use.
You said you just graduated if I may ask where form?

And well I feel this is appropriate too (just replace BA with BS Tongue)

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube
(Aug 21st, 2018, 11:53 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Oh-- the song is almost too true, absolutely appropriate. The most common jobs needed are technical writers and digital journalism jobs which is unfortunate because nearly every class I took concentrated on fiction or non-fiction narrative and I did a publication internship briefly. I did apply for a localization gig at Nintendo though? However my hopes are pretty low for a response. 

I graduated from Northern Michigan University, which was in the middle of no where and had a lot of trees. Lake Superior was pretty cool though and the locals were incredibly friendly.
Bollywood Offline
Newcomer
Favourite Platform(s)
Gamecube

Oh-- the song is almost too true, absolutely appropriate. The most common jobs needed are technical writers and digital journalism jobs which is unfortunate because nearly every class I took concentrated on fiction or non-fiction narrative and I did a publication internship briefly. I did apply for a localization gig at Nintendo though? However my hopes are pretty low for a response. 

I graduated from Northern Michigan University, which was in the middle of no where and had a lot of trees. Lake Superior was pretty cool though and the locals were incredibly friendly.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 22nd, 2018, 07:47 AM)Bollywood Wrote:

Oh hey Northern Michigan, I really enjoyed that campus when I was visiting colleges so many years ago. I was really thinking of going there until I remembered winter=Cold=knee pain. I had a friend who went to northern and he loved it up there, but he also was big on roughing it for fun and did time as a forest firefighter.

I have a friend who did a Tech writing major and shes been having a hard time finding jobs that are tech writing so yeah.

But then again when most of the instructions I get on things that are suppose to be written by Tech writers but are broken English it just seems once again companies are cheapening out. <_<

So how 'bout them meat pies/paties eh?

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 22nd, 2018, 07:47 AM)Bollywood Wrote:

Oh hey Northern Michigan, I really enjoyed that campus when I was visiting colleges so many years ago. I was really thinking of going there until I remembered winter=Cold=knee pain. I had a friend who went to northern and he loved it up there, but he also was big on roughing it for fun and did time as a forest firefighter.

I have a friend who did a Tech writing major and shes been having a hard time finding jobs that are tech writing so yeah.

But then again when most of the instructions I get on things that are suppose to be written by Tech writers but are broken English it just seems once again companies are cheapening out. <_<

So how 'bout them meat pies/paties eh?