Last Game You Played
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Minesweeper

A classic game from my youth, and one that I'd ignored for years... but I'm currently going through a phase of being addicted to it Tongue !

My all-time personal best on Expert mode is 142 seconds, and the best I've achieved since re-discovering it is 164 seconds:

[Image: pQuQQnN.png]

Need to find a way to shave off those last 22 seconds!!!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Minesweeper

A classic game from my youth, and one that I'd ignored for years... but I'm currently going through a phase of being addicted to it Tongue !

My all-time personal best on Expert mode is 142 seconds, and the best I've achieved since re-discovering it is 164 seconds:

[Image: pQuQQnN.png]

Need to find a way to shave off those last 22 seconds!!!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 14th, 2021, 05:18 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Axiom Verge 2.

Excellent Excellent Excellent metroidvania. I was engrossed. already finished the game with 80% item collection completion
I've never played the first one and barely know much about it. Would you recommend it if I enjoyed something like Hollow Knight or Ori or just games that are based around exploring and getting to unlock areas you had to pass over before?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Aug 14th, 2021, 05:18 AM)Monocle Wrote:
Axiom Verge 2.

Excellent Excellent Excellent metroidvania. I was engrossed. already finished the game with 80% item collection completion
I've never played the first one and barely know much about it. Would you recommend it if I enjoyed something like Hollow Knight or Ori or just games that are based around exploring and getting to unlock areas you had to pass over before?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Aug 15th, 2021, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

well I'd recommend the entire metroidvania genre to you then. Nothing beats Hollow Knight mechanically imo. It plays so smoothly and just the technicality of has for traversal can't be beat. Ori is definitely the most beautiful metroidvania. 

Would I recommend Axiom Verge? hell yeah I would. both are excellent metroidvanias.

Just as a referral, my top metroidvanias are, in no particular order,

Hollow Knight
Ori games
Guacamelee
Axiom Verge
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
and many more. I have a huge list that I've played.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Aug 15th, 2021, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

well I'd recommend the entire metroidvania genre to you then. Nothing beats Hollow Knight mechanically imo. It plays so smoothly and just the technicality of has for traversal can't be beat. Ori is definitely the most beautiful metroidvania. 

Would I recommend Axiom Verge? hell yeah I would. both are excellent metroidvanias.

Just as a referral, my top metroidvanias are, in no particular order,

Hollow Knight
Ori games
Guacamelee
Axiom Verge
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
and many more. I have a huge list that I've played.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I was gonna ask how you'd compare it to one. I was pretty close to beating the first game in the series all those years ago when it came out, and didn't get around to finishing it. I had fun with my time with it, but yeah. It looks vastly different than it's predecessor for sure.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I was gonna ask how you'd compare it to one. I was pretty close to beating the first game in the series all those years ago when it came out, and didn't get around to finishing it. I had fun with my time with it, but yeah. It looks vastly different than it's predecessor for sure.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 16th, 2021, 05:34 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

well, the first one is better imo. story was better, even though metroidvanias aren't really about the story. smaller map but more stuff in it so exploring every section felt better. second one has a much bigger map and better traversal but still felt like something was missing. can't really pinpoint it.

i guess I should also post about what I played last lmao.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D HD

HD texture pack with the restoration mod that fixes a lot of the stupid changes in the 3DS version and gives better control so you're not using the touch screen as much which is thankful af.

Just got to the third dungeon and saved it. gonna get the fairies and kill the boss as usual!
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 16th, 2021, 05:34 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

well, the first one is better imo. story was better, even though metroidvanias aren't really about the story. smaller map but more stuff in it so exploring every section felt better. second one has a much bigger map and better traversal but still felt like something was missing. can't really pinpoint it.

i guess I should also post about what I played last lmao.

HD texture pack with the restoration mod that fixes a lot of the stupid changes in the 3DS version and gives better control so you're not using the touch screen as much which is thankful af.

Just got to the third dungeon and saved it. gonna get the fairies and kill the boss as usual!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 16th, 2021, 03:36 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I haven't played either version and the only change I know of in the 3DS version was related to the ability to time travel. Were there other changes made to that version of the game?

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Just did the daily run. I love when they start you off in them overpowered and let you just go through melting everything right away, since runs in Isaac are rarely ever like that from the start.

Rayman Revolution (PS2)
I never finished this version of Rayman 2 before I moved to the US, and I'd been thinking about it a lot lately and wanted to show it to @ShiraNoMai, so I started up a new save with the intention of fully beating it this time. It is not as good as my rose tinted glasses made it out to be. ROFL

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 16th, 2021, 03:36 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I haven't played either version and the only change I know of in the 3DS version was related to the ability to time travel. Were there other changes made to that version of the game?

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Just did the daily run. I love when they start you off in them overpowered and let you just go through melting everything right away, since runs in Isaac are rarely ever like that from the start.

Rayman Revolution (PS2)
I never finished this version of Rayman 2 before I moved to the US, and I'd been thinking about it a lot lately and wanted to show it to @ShiraNoMai, so I started up a new save with the intention of fully beating it this time. It is not as good as my rose tinted glasses made it out to be. ROFL
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 12:27 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Little things here and there, like the layout of the town being extended, when you get the bombers notebook, right stick support, etc etc. it's mainly true to the original but looks way better and portable, although I played on my PC lol.

Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut:

Yay fan translations! gotta love em! The combat is actually super fun. Uses the CC system that I'm a fan of that's in a lot of Tales games. No MP or SP or whatever. Health and CC which is used by every attack, or artes that use more than one per attack. Kinda wish this version of the game was localized. It was after Symphonia which helped Tales so much. Shame
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes

Little things here and there, like the layout of the town being extended, when you get the bombers notebook, right stick support, etc etc. it's mainly true to the original but looks way better and portable, although I played on my PC lol.

Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut:

Yay fan translations! gotta love em! The combat is actually super fun. Uses the CC system that I'm a fan of that's in a lot of Tales games. No MP or SP or whatever. Health and CC which is used by every attack, or artes that use more than one per attack. Kinda wish this version of the game was localized. It was after Symphonia which helped Tales so much. Shame
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
On Sunday, my friend has a kind of modded PS3 that allows it to play PS1 games that are downloaded and we played some:

Twisted Metal 2, Twisted Metal 3 & Twisted Metal 4

Ah Twisted Metal 2 is still such a good game like I remember. Took us two tries but we did have to use Minion because he's quite OP to beat the Co-Op Tournament. I let him play Minion and I played Outlaw, first playthrough we lost as Sweetooth and Warthog (who I usually play as).

We tried Twisted Metal 3 and 4 for the first time ever, and buttons and core gameplay was similar but they just paled in comparison to 2 and we gave up on them.

Bomberman World & Bomberman Party Edition
I used to play these when I was younger, and a lot too. Still like how I remember too. We beat the CPU 2v3 easily as the AI did have the tendency to friendly fire each other but we still played well as in killing them quite skilfully when they weren't doing that. XD The volcano stage was the hardest to win on though.

Bomberman Party Edition (which is called just Bomberman for my UK version) we tried to play Advanced mode but lost. He kept dying and I tried to carry the team but eventually lost 4 to 3 or something. I forgot Advanced mode made everyone's bombs have full range blasts straight off that bat. XD We tried the Normal mode and won that though. I also forgot that mode made everyone begin in the centre so it was easy to trap the AI when they went into a spot where 3 blocks surrounded them.

Everyday really:
Genshin Impact
Only have time to do dailies and tried the event of, forgot what it's called but it's the 'imagination' battle event, and I'm having trouble with the Challenger version of the first Stage, mainly because not letting a character die makes you fail and one of my team does. Ah nuts. I shall keep trying!
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
On Sunday, my friend has a kind of modded PS3 that allows it to play PS1 games that are downloaded and we played some:

Twisted Metal 2, Twisted Metal 3 & Twisted Metal 4

Ah Twisted Metal 2 is still such a good game like I remember. Took us two tries but we did have to use Minion because he's quite OP to beat the Co-Op Tournament. I let him play Minion and I played Outlaw, first playthrough we lost as Sweetooth and Warthog (who I usually play as).

We tried Twisted Metal 3 and 4 for the first time ever, and buttons and core gameplay was similar but they just paled in comparison to 2 and we gave up on them.

Bomberman World & Bomberman Party Edition
I used to play these when I was younger, and a lot too. Still like how I remember too. We beat the CPU 2v3 easily as the AI did have the tendency to friendly fire each other but we still played well as in killing them quite skilfully when they weren't doing that. XD The volcano stage was the hardest to win on though.

Bomberman Party Edition (which is called just Bomberman for my UK version) we tried to play Advanced mode but lost. He kept dying and I tried to carry the team but eventually lost 4 to 3 or something. I forgot Advanced mode made everyone's bombs have full range blasts straight off that bat. XD We tried the Normal mode and won that though. I also forgot that mode made everyone begin in the centre so it was easy to trap the AI when they went into a spot where 3 blocks surrounded them.

Everyday really:
Genshin Impact
Only have time to do dailies and tried the event of, forgot what it's called but it's the 'imagination' battle event, and I'm having trouble with the Challenger version of the first Stage, mainly because not letting a character die makes you fail and one of my team does. Ah nuts. I shall keep trying!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Thanks for that @Monocle , I should really finish Axiom Verge. Perhaps even restart it considering I remember almost nothing about the game at this point and feel like if I booted it back up I'd be terribly lost ROFL

Bomberman Party Edition was the shit! Played that with a friend in the PS1 days and it was loads of stupid fun. I was terrible at it but I still had a fun time blowing myself up ROFL

Halo: Combat Evolved
Almost done with the 5th mission. The game is getting progressively enemy-spammy and I'm not sure if that's the game's way of trying to ramp up the difficulty or not, but I do find myself dying now due to getting absolutely ass-blasted by a bunch of enemies or cornered in some tight geometrical room, whereas before it would be to my novitiate nature. Still enjoying my time with it regardless. Do wish the game offered more chances for health. I've spent several rooms at 1HP because the game was not merciful for 4 entire rooms Sad
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Thanks for that @Monocle , I should really finish Axiom Verge. Perhaps even restart it considering I remember almost nothing about the game at this point and feel like if I booted it back up I'd be terribly lost ROFL

Bomberman Party Edition was the shit! Played that with a friend in the PS1 days and it was loads of stupid fun. I was terrible at it but I still had a fun time blowing myself up ROFL

Halo: Combat Evolved
Almost done with the 5th mission. The game is getting progressively enemy-spammy and I'm not sure if that's the game's way of trying to ramp up the difficulty or not, but I do find myself dying now due to getting absolutely ass-blasted by a bunch of enemies or cornered in some tight geometrical room, whereas before it would be to my novitiate nature. Still enjoying my time with it regardless. Do wish the game offered more chances for health. I've spent several rooms at 1HP because the game was not merciful for 4 entire rooms Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:52 AM)Monocle Wrote:

So what were the bad changes? Since most if not all of those you listed don't sound bad to me. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:52 AM)Monocle Wrote:

So what were the bad changes? Since most if not all of those you listed don't sound bad to me. Hmm
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 31st, 2021, 07:54 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well the bosses are right differently now. some stupid eyeball thing that needs to be attacked. One of the finest things they did. they were trying to make every transformation mask viable in the boss fights of the corresponding dungeons.

Made the way Zora Link swims so so so stupid.

there's other things but i can't remember at all. 

But what am I playing?! 

Metroid Prime 2:Echoes

Got customs textures and reshade running on it so it looks more like a next gen Wii game. it's actually been so much fun replaying this. Linking a video so y'all can see what I mean, if you've ever seen vanilla metroid prime. 

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Aug 31st, 2021, 07:54 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well the bosses are right differently now. some stupid eyeball thing that needs to be attacked. One of the finest things they did. they were trying to make every transformation mask viable in the boss fights of the corresponding dungeons.

Made the way Zora Link swims so so so stupid.

there's other things but i can't remember at all. 

But what am I playing?! 

Metroid Prime 2:Echoes

Got customs textures and reshade running on it so it looks more like a next gen Wii game. it's actually been so much fun replaying this. Linking a video so y'all can see what I mean, if you've ever seen vanilla metroid prime. 

Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,819
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Final Fantasy XIV (PC):

Made the mistake of deciding to go on a leveling duty to grind up my Dragoon, and got paired with an absolute ASSHOLE of a tank! I also made the mistake of trying to help them, and they proceeded to completely bitch me out and call me useless for DEIGNING to voice a flaw in their plan of "grab aggro by running at enemies and doing nothing". Just...why do I even bother, sometimes? Whatever, I made it to level 50 before I had to leave for work, so I at least got something out of it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,819 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Final Fantasy XIV (PC):

Made the mistake of deciding to go on a leveling duty to grind up my Dragoon, and got paired with an absolute ASSHOLE of a tank! I also made the mistake of trying to help them, and they proceeded to completely bitch me out and call me useless for DEIGNING to voice a flaw in their plan of "grab aggro by running at enemies and doing nothing". Just...why do I even bother, sometimes? Whatever, I made it to level 50 before I had to leave for work, so I at least got something out of it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
Ever thought it would be a good idea to go back to a game you haven't played in ages and don't remember the mechanics properly so you just get wasted by enemies repeatedly until you learn again the hard way? That's me right now. Better yet I last left off before a boss so my hard lesson back into this game was through a boss fight. Sweat

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ever thought it would be a good idea to go back to a game you haven't played in ages and don't remember the mechanics properly so you just get wasted by enemies repeatedly until you learn again the hard way? That's me right now. Better yet I last left off before a boss so my hard lesson back into this game was through a boss fight. Sweat
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Since I've been away from home all weekend, the last game I played would probably have been Banished on Thursday!

Still, my town is coming along quite nicely. I'm getting more than enough food to feed my people, and I've started quarrying and mining, so I'm getting a small (but steady) supply of stone and iron:

Only problem is, I'm not getting enough wood, so I'll probably need to build another logging camp next!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Since I've been away from home all weekend, the last game I played would probably have been Banished on Thursday!

Still, my town is coming along quite nicely. I'm getting more than enough food to feed my people, and I've started quarrying and mining, so I'm getting a small (but steady) supply of stone and iron:

Only problem is, I'm not getting enough wood, so I'll probably need to build another logging camp next!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm sick of dying because the developers want to make arenas that are too small and cause the camera to constantly get stuck and prevent me from seeing what is happening, or making areas run at 15fps so good luck blocking anything because you can't time properly with unstable frames. Every time I get to a point of loving the game it does something that is just bad game design. 30fps is already bad enough but at least make it stable for fuck sakes.

Yes, I'm salty. But certain things in this game are just plain bad and ruin the experience for me too often.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm sick of dying because the developers want to make arenas that are too small and cause the camera to constantly get stuck and prevent me from seeing what is happening, or making areas run at 15fps so good luck blocking anything because you can't time properly with unstable frames. Every time I get to a point of loving the game it does something that is just bad game design. 30fps is already bad enough but at least make it stable for fuck sakes.

Yes, I'm salty. But certain things in this game are just plain bad and ruin the experience for me too often.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 769 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Recommend 10 Games To Someone Who Has Never Played Games Moonface 9 4,309 Mar 9th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  The Main Character of the Last Game You Played is Coming to Kill You... Moonface 13 8,204 Jun 30th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,898 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface