PlayStation Classic
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
From what I read, it's only eight of the games on the Classic that will be PAL versions. The rest will be the NA versions.

Also I can't confirm, but I've read people talking about how it's apparently so they can fit language options into the games or something? I don't know, again, this is just what I've read from other people online.

Either way, good job Sony.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
From what I read, it's only eight of the games on the Classic that will be PAL versions. The rest will be the NA versions.

Also I can't confirm, but I've read people talking about how it's apparently so they can fit language options into the games or something? I don't know, again, this is just what I've read from other people online.

Either way, good job Sony.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect language is the reason as European games would have had like five options while American versions would likely have less back in those days. Not sure why a fighter like Tekken needs the extra languages though when the only text is the menu.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I expect language is the reason as European games would have had like five options while American versions would likely have less back in those days. Not sure why a fighter like Tekken needs the extra languages though when the only text is the menu.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Hey Moony! I need tekken in german! it is so important to me you don't even know! <_<

I think it just so they can mass produce it and not worry about localizing it for each region.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Hey Moony! I need tekken in german! it is so important to me you don't even know! <_<

I think it just so they can mass produce it and not worry about localizing it for each region.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Because they're being cheap. Down to everything about it. Don't know about the actual hardware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheap plastic too.

Their selection of games was cheap, their use of an open source emulator instead of creating one when they themselves own the source material was cheap, and their creating only two versions of the Classic, Japan and everywhere else, was cheap.

This is the one of their laziest attempts at making money and it'll work.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Because they're being cheap. Down to everything about it. Don't know about the actual hardware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheap plastic too.

Their selection of games was cheap, their use of an open source emulator instead of creating one when they themselves own the source material was cheap, and their creating only two versions of the Classic, Japan and everywhere else, was cheap.

This is the one of their laziest attempts at making money and it'll work.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
That's the new Sony for you. It's only gong to go downhill from here. Strap in for the show, because Nintendo and Microsoft (yes, even Microsoft) are going to be spanking Sony the next number of years.

And yes, people will be stupid enough to buy this and make it a success for Sony. Sad as that is.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
That's the new Sony for you. It's only gong to go downhill from here. Strap in for the show, because Nintendo and Microsoft (yes, even Microsoft) are going to be spanking Sony the next number of years.

And yes, people will be stupid enough to buy this and make it a success for Sony. Sad as that is.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes

Digital Foundry did their analysis of the hardware and emulation and it isn't pretty.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes

Digital Foundry did their analysis of the hardware and emulation and it isn't pretty.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Going back to the PAL releases of the games, let's ignore the fact that that means the games are technically running up to 17% slower than the NTSC versions. Um, have you ever tried to play a 50 Hz game console on a 60 Hz TV? Because it's not pretty! This is actually a major f***-up on Sony's part because NTSC and PAL aren't just about frame rates. They're completely incompatible ways on encoding a television signal, so it can and will create all kinds of insane noise when you go one way or the other! People who use capture cards can tell you if your capture card is of a different region, then good luck trying to set it up and not get some kind of noise in the signal. Honestly, watching the analysis Monocle posted, it's amazing they got the compatibility they DID out of these conversions.

Personally, I'll stick to my PS2. Sure, I can't play Legend of Dragoon on PS2 (a known bug prevents advancement past the second disc on PS2), but most other games run well enough on it. ...Should look into a PS3, though...
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Going back to the PAL releases of the games, let's ignore the fact that that means the games are technically running up to 17% slower than the NTSC versions. Um, have you ever tried to play a 50 Hz game console on a 60 Hz TV? Because it's not pretty! This is actually a major f***-up on Sony's part because NTSC and PAL aren't just about frame rates. They're completely incompatible ways on encoding a television signal, so it can and will create all kinds of insane noise when you go one way or the other! People who use capture cards can tell you if your capture card is of a different region, then good luck trying to set it up and not get some kind of noise in the signal. Honestly, watching the analysis Monocle posted, it's amazing they got the compatibility they DID out of these conversions.

Personally, I'll stick to my PS2. Sure, I can't play Legend of Dragoon on PS2 (a known bug prevents advancement past the second disc on PS2), but most other games run well enough on it. ...Should look into a PS3, though...
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Apparently, Vita scene hackers have already hacked the Classic and dumped the firmware lmao.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Apparently, Vita scene hackers have already hacked the Classic and dumped the firmware lmao.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I’m kinda interested in this now that it’s $60 and I can put any game I want on it.

I think Sony made it as easy to hack as possible since they couldn’t get the games they wanted on it.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I’m kinda interested in this now that it’s $60 and I can put any game I want on it.

I think Sony made it as easy to hack as possible since they couldn’t get the games they wanted on it.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
well, it is still a subpar emulator and being able to side load any iso doesn't change that unfortunately.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
well, it is still a subpar emulator and being able to side load any iso doesn't change that unfortunately.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
How is it subpar it’s PCSX. It’s what you’d get on your PC. Through a loophole Sony left you can even access the PCSX settings with a keyboard.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
How is it subpar it’s PCSX. It’s what you’d get on your PC. Through a loophole Sony left you can even access the PCSX settings with a keyboard.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I suggest scrolling up and checking Digital Foundry's video that I posted. It isn't optimized that well for the hardware it runs on so I don't know how it'll run sideloaded games. I haven't researched into it at all because i have no need. modded vita with the internal emulator the psp used which is superior to the classic's emulation
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I suggest scrolling up and checking Digital Foundry's video that I posted. It isn't optimized that well for the hardware it runs on so I don't know how it'll run sideloaded games. I haven't researched into it at all because i have no need. modded vita with the internal emulator the psp used which is superior to the classic's emulation
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Even optimisation matters aside, I still think paying $60 for an emulator you could run on a PC for free is still a bit much. It would need to be at least half that again for me to consider buying it as an emulator in a pretty box regardless of how well it runs.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Even optimisation matters aside, I still think paying $60 for an emulator you could run on a PC for free is still a bit much. It would need to be at least half that again for me to consider buying it as an emulator in a pretty box regardless of how well it runs.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
that's very true. especially since you're talking about side loading games, I don't know how legal you're intent is. What Moonface said is true. If you're going to use it beyond its intended purposes, whether legal or not, you might as well just get the emulator on PC where it'll run muuuuch better and cost less.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
that's very true. especially since you're talking about side loading games, I don't know how legal you're intent is. What Moonface said is true. If you're going to use it beyond its intended purposes, whether legal or not, you might as well just get the emulator on PC where it'll run muuuuch better and cost less.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah at best I'd like it as a collectible to look at, definitely not as a piece of hardware, if I'm honest Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah at best I'd like it as a collectible to look at, definitely not as a piece of hardware, if I'm honest Errm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis Moonface 420 119,549 Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 687 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,014 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,513 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM