PlayStation Classic
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
(Oct 1st, 2018, 04:38 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Oh? I was under the impression the AC was needed to power it. I feel like more people are going to power it via AC than USB though. Eh

Not if it doesn't come with one. Tongue

I won't be getting one but if I did I'd power it via PS4 or my TV.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Oct 1st, 2018, 04:38 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Oh? I was under the impression the AC was needed to power it. I feel like more people are going to power it via AC than USB though. Eh

Not if it doesn't come with one. Tongue

I won't be getting one but if I did I'd power it via PS4 or my TV.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Lmao I mean... like I said, Nintendo didn't ship first edition new nintendo 3ds xl units with ac adaptors. so I just figured it could be a similar situation here
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Lmao I mean... like I said, Nintendo didn't ship first edition new nintendo 3ds xl units with ac adaptors. so I just figured it could be a similar situation here
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Reveals Complete List of PlayStation Classic Games
Sony has revealed the twenty games that will be included with the PlayStation Classic, which are as follows:
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
What do you think about these games being the chosen ones?

Personally, I find the list to be OK at best, but from a personal standpoint there is nothing on this list that would make me want to buy this thing. Also why is there no Gran Turismo or WipEout? Two of the biggest racing related IP's for that system that are Sony exclusives and neither of them is to be seen.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Reveals Complete List of PlayStation Classic Games
Sony has revealed the twenty games that will be included with the PlayStation Classic, which are as follows:
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
What do you think about these games being the chosen ones?

Personally, I find the list to be OK at best, but from a personal standpoint there is nothing on this list that would make me want to buy this thing. Also why is there no Gran Turismo or WipEout? Two of the biggest racing related IP's for that system that are Sony exclusives and neither of them is to be seen.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Saw the list yesterday. It's god awful. My interest in this was already low, but now it's a hard pass from me.

So many great RPGs on the PS1, and they go with this. Man, Sony is just fucking up left and right lately.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Saw the list yesterday. It's god awful. My interest in this was already low, but now it's a hard pass from me.

So many great RPGs on the PS1, and they go with this. Man, Sony is just fucking up left and right lately.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've started coming across people wondering if the list is limited because there are remasters already on the way for things like MediEvil, Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy, etc. But if that is the reason, it's a bad one. Fine, three of those I listed are third party, Sony has no control, but it feels odd that they announce a MediEvil remaster and don't include the original in this. Also, is it just me or are some of the games on that list really obscure like Mr Driller and Jumping Flash? For this list to be of classic games I have never heard of those before. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've started coming across people wondering if the list is limited because there are remasters already on the way for things like MediEvil, Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy, etc. But if that is the reason, it's a bad one. Fine, three of those I listed are third party, Sony has no control, but it feels odd that they announce a MediEvil remaster and don't include the original in this. Also, is it just me or are some of the games on that list really obscure like Mr Driller and Jumping Flash? For this list to be of classic games I have never heard of those before. Errm
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Pretty mediocre list and the most perfect fit for such an idea.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Pretty mediocre list and the most perfect fit for such an idea.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
It is kind of a slap on a face to put GTA on it. GTA 1+2 have been free from Rockstar for well over a decade.
https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classic...load.phtml

Now if it was GTA: London 1969 at lease it would be a rare® hard to come across game

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
It is kind of a slap on a face to put GTA on it. GTA 1+2 have been free from Rockstar for well over a decade.
https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classic...load.phtml

Now if it was GTA: London 1969 at lease it would be a rare® hard to come across game
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Oct 30th, 2018, 08:35 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well I see it on both ends on one end they didn’t put all the major hits they could have which would have been safe but on the other they needed to show the diversity of the PlayStation because not everyone bought it for mega hits. There are some amazing gems in there like Intelligent Qube. Jumping Flash was a launch title and a very good game for its time to show off 3D. 

My only complaint is they chose the worst version of some games. Twisted Metal 1 instead of 2? Destruction Derby was amazing but the sequel improved upon it in every way. Jumping Flash 2 was also better. Yet they were able to get the best Ridge Racer and Tekken so it shows that it wasn’t just first year or two games.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Oct 30th, 2018, 08:35 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well I see it on both ends on one end they didn’t put all the major hits they could have which would have been safe but on the other they needed to show the diversity of the PlayStation because not everyone bought it for mega hits. There are some amazing gems in there like Intelligent Qube. Jumping Flash was a launch title and a very good game for its time to show off 3D. 

My only complaint is they chose the worst version of some games. Twisted Metal 1 instead of 2? Destruction Derby was amazing but the sequel improved upon it in every way. Jumping Flash 2 was also better. Yet they were able to get the best Ridge Racer and Tekken so it shows that it wasn’t just first year or two games.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, not having DD2 on it was surprising. That's the one everyone talks about for that franchise.

Personally I'd rather have seen 30 games and get a good mix of the big hits and the smaller stuff. I'd be more inclined to check the lesser known games out if they weren't all I'd be shelling out $100 for.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, not having DD2 on it was surprising. That's the one everyone talks about for that franchise.

Personally I'd rather have seen 30 games and get a good mix of the big hits and the smaller stuff. I'd be more inclined to check the lesser known games out if they weren't all I'd be shelling out $100 for.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Oct 30th, 2018, 08:29 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

This was never going to be an RPG box. Lol I’ve seen people say this and it’s true but if they put all of those great RPGs it would alienate like 2/3rds of the population. PlayStation didn’t become huge by catering to one genre.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Oct 30th, 2018, 08:29 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

This was never going to be an RPG box. Lol I’ve seen people say this and it’s true but if they put all of those great RPGs it would alienate like 2/3rds of the population. PlayStation didn’t become huge by catering to one genre.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Oct 31st, 2018, 06:24 PM)Metallix Wrote:
s it would alienate like 2/3rds of the population. 

Be careful you don't hurt yourself stretching that far.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
About 6-8 games I'd play on there and some of them I have played already. MGS, Persona and Wild Arms are my picks I haven't played, and just for them I wouldn't really bother. If I happened to see it for cheap then maybe, but that's unlikely to.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
About 6-8 games I'd play on there and some of them I have played already. MGS, Persona and Wild Arms are my picks I haven't played, and just for them I wouldn't really bother. If I happened to see it for cheap then maybe, but that's unlikely to.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Nov 4th, 2018, 09:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

That's the terrible Persona port anyway. They changed characters' portraits to be more "American". they actually made one of the characters black for no reason.  Hmm
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Nov 4th, 2018, 09:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

That's the terrible Persona port anyway. They changed characters' portraits to be more "American". they actually made one of the characters black for no reason.  Hmm
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Nov 1st, 2018, 03:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

JRPGs are a very niche title, and so were WRPGs until it started to get merged in to other genres (such as FPS). If you take a look at this list of the best selling PS games ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be...ideo_games ) You will see few (J)RPGs yes you have some on the top 20, but also remember the Playstation was still in the era of only really nerds/gamers would have a console.

The Classic lines is not just for the people who were buying/getting the PS back in the day, its also for the normies either those who wonder what gaming was like back in the day, or "Oh hey I remember my nerdy friends saying how great X was back in school, this is my chance to try it".

JRPGs even scare off non normies, because they just are so polarizing.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Nov 1st, 2018, 03:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

JRPGs are a very niche title, and so were WRPGs until it started to get merged in to other genres (such as FPS). If you take a look at this list of the best selling PS games ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be...ideo_games ) You will see few (J)RPGs yes you have some on the top 20, but also remember the Playstation was still in the era of only really nerds/gamers would have a console.

The Classic lines is not just for the people who were buying/getting the PS back in the day, its also for the normies either those who wonder what gaming was like back in the day, or "Oh hey I remember my nerdy friends saying how great X was back in school, this is my chance to try it".

JRPGs even scare off non normies, because they just are so polarizing.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So it turns out the games installed in the PlayStation Classic are the PAL region versions, which run at 50Hz instead of 60Hz, the latter of which is what PS1 games ran at in North America and Japan.

For me I wouldn't really be bothered because I grew up with the 50Hz versions, but I can see why this would feel bad for North American players. Was it really that hard to just install the region respective games into the region respective consoles instead of doing a singular approach like this? Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So it turns out the games installed in the PlayStation Classic are the PAL region versions, which run at 50Hz instead of 60Hz, the latter of which is what PS1 games ran at in North America and Japan.

For me I wouldn't really be bothered because I grew up with the 50Hz versions, but I can see why this would feel bad for North American players. Was it really that hard to just install the region respective games into the region respective consoles instead of doing a singular approach like this? Errm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis Moonface 420 119,632 Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 688 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,028 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 551 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,515 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM