Telltale Games Closure | GOG Removing Entire Catalogue on May 27th
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Can't really say they didn't deserve that. Kind of makes me wonder if this could lead to a lawsuit chain. If this lawsuit changes the circumstances around being able to finish the final season of The Walking Dead, and they have to cancel it, it would be interesting to see if another lawsuit pops up for the people who purchased the entire season early, but never got the product they were promised.

This could potentially be the final nail in the coffin for them. To be honest, I kind of hope they get nailed hard, just because what they did to those 250-ish employees was pretty scummy.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Can't really say they didn't deserve that. Kind of makes me wonder if this could lead to a lawsuit chain. If this lawsuit changes the circumstances around being able to finish the final season of The Walking Dead, and they have to cancel it, it would be interesting to see if another lawsuit pops up for the people who purchased the entire season early, but never got the product they were promised.

This could potentially be the final nail in the coffin for them. To be honest, I kind of hope they get nailed hard, just because what they did to those 250-ish employees was pretty scummy.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think Telltale were already doomed, so this not only guarantees it but teaches the management a lesson for treating the company so poorly. As long as it only harms the assholes and not the innocent workers, the more they get the better.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,538 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I think Telltale were already doomed, so this not only guarantees it but teaches the management a lesson for treating the company so poorly. As long as it only harms the assholes and not the innocent workers, the more they get the better.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Given that the innocent workers include people who had (reportedly) just finished relocating families and who had just started literally a WEEK before the closure? No, it hurt the innocent workers HARD. They ran their workers into the ground, burned down the house, and ran away, leaving the ashes for someone else to clean up. This lawsuit probably won't get settled in any way favorable to the workers.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Given that the innocent workers include people who had (reportedly) just finished relocating families and who had just started literally a WEEK before the closure? No, it hurt the innocent workers HARD. They ran their workers into the ground, burned down the house, and ran away, leaving the ashes for someone else to clean up. This lawsuit probably won't get settled in any way favorable to the workers.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Sep 27th, 2018, 01:39 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I see them settling and then filing bankruptcy so that the settlement really results in nothing which is ridiculously unfortunate. Telltale's upper management and board are complete pieces of shit for this and deserve more than a lawsuit.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

I see them settling and then filing bankruptcy so that the settlement really results in nothing which is ridiculously unfortunate. Telltale's upper management and board are complete pieces of shit for this and deserve more than a lawsuit.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Given that the innocent workers include people who had (reportedly) just finished relocating families and who had just started literally a WEEK before the closure?

Holy promissory estoppel batman!

No really that a good promissory estoppel lawsuit waiting to happen.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
Given that the innocent workers include people who had (reportedly) just finished relocating families and who had just started literally a WEEK before the closure?

Holy promissory estoppel batman!

No really that a good promissory estoppel lawsuit waiting to happen.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was referring more to not wanting this lawsuit to hurt the workers. They've had enough problems without being dragged into a lawsuit that was caused by pricks behind desks.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was referring more to not wanting this lawsuit to hurt the workers. They've had enough problems without being dragged into a lawsuit that was caused by pricks behind desks.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Sucks that so many have lost their jobs. As far as the company goes I have never liked their games and they definitely stagnated. I always though Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games did the choose your adventure games so much better.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Sucks that so many have lost their jobs. As far as the company goes I have never liked their games and they definitely stagnated. I always though Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games did the choose your adventure games so much better.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So Skybound Games have picked up The Walking Dead to finish its final season:

Neat for those who bought the game and want to get the product they paid for, but it looks like the employees of Telltale are still left without anything. Eh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So Skybound Games have picked up The Walking Dead to finish its final season:

Neat for those who bought the game and want to get the product they paid for, but it looks like the employees of Telltale are still left without anything. Eh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah this is probably going to end up as "hey we hired them to just finish this job, but after this, haha good luck in the job search!" Which is still really shitty. Eh
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah this is probably going to end up as "hey we hired them to just finish this job, but after this, haha good luck in the job search!" Which is still really shitty. Eh
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt they'll get a lot of former employees agree to work on this without the compensation they should've already received. Then there's those who will have already got work elsewhere to be free to help out. But if any former employee agrees to help without getting everything they deserved, I'm hoping the only reason is desperation for work of some kind.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt they'll get a lot of former employees agree to work on this without the compensation they should've already received. Then there's those who will have already got work elsewhere to be free to help out. But if any former employee agrees to help without getting everything they deserved, I'm hoping the only reason is desperation for work of some kind.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342
WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
I wasn't really too fussed when I heard the news... A little disappointed that we wouldn't get to see more of The Wolf Among Us, but I started losing interest in many of the games including The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure I didn't even bother to finish one of the seasons and haven't played any of it since. I am glad that it was picked up to be finished for those who are still playing it though!
[Image: ldgamalthea.png]
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342 WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
I wasn't really too fussed when I heard the news... A little disappointed that we wouldn't get to see more of The Wolf Among Us, but I started losing interest in many of the games including The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure I didn't even bother to finish one of the seasons and haven't played any of it since. I am glad that it was picked up to be finished for those who are still playing it though!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So it looks like Epic is funding development for the remainder of The Walking Dead:

Epic Games Wrote:
All future episodes of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead” on PC will be published on the Epic Games StoreSkybound Games announced Thursday. People who already bought the season on a different PC platform will still receive the final two episodes through their previous point of purchase.

The third episode of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season,” entitled Broken Toys, is set for a Jan. 15 release on Epic’s new online game store. Epic Games Store will also be host to the previous episodes of the season for those who want to buy it as well. The game will hit consoles on Jan. 15 as well.

Skybound Games Wrote:
We’re excited to work together on their latest transformative event with the launch of the Epic Games Store. Epic stepped up to the plate immediately to work with us in order to bring the original team back together and ensure fans will receive the completed season of ‘Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season.'

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So it looks like Epic is funding development for the remainder of The Walking Dead:

Epic Games Wrote:
All future episodes of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead” on PC will be published on the Epic Games StoreSkybound Games announced Thursday. People who already bought the season on a different PC platform will still receive the final two episodes through their previous point of purchase.

The third episode of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season,” entitled Broken Toys, is set for a Jan. 15 release on Epic’s new online game store. Epic Games Store will also be host to the previous episodes of the season for those who want to buy it as well. The game will hit consoles on Jan. 15 as well.

Skybound Games Wrote:
We’re excited to work together on their latest transformative event with the launch of the Epic Games Store. Epic stepped up to the plate immediately to work with us in order to bring the original team back together and ensure fans will receive the completed season of ‘Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season.'
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Entire Telltale Games Catalogue Being Delisted from GOG.com
It seems that any games made by Telltale Games are starting to be removed from digital stores, as GOG have announced they will be pulling the companies entire catalogue on May 27th. Of course, this may not translate to other digital storefronts, but considering this announcement comes after Tales from the Borderlands was removed from Steam yesterday without so much as a warning or announcement from Gearbox, it may be best to be safe than sorry and grab any games from Telltale's catalogue while you still can.

GOG Wrote:
Sadly, we need to inform you that, due to company’s closure, all the remaining Telltale titles will be delisted from our catalog on Monday, May 27, 10am UTC. 

The titles are as follows: the Wolf Among Us, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Hector: Badge of Carnage, the Batman series, Sam & Max series, Puzzle Agent series, Tales from the Borderlands, and Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People. 

For everyone who purchased any of said titles prior to delisting, the games will remain in their GOG library.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Entire Telltale Games Catalogue Being Delisted from GOG.com
It seems that any games made by Telltale Games are starting to be removed from digital stores, as GOG have announced they will be pulling the companies entire catalogue on May 27th. Of course, this may not translate to other digital storefronts, but considering this announcement comes after Tales from the Borderlands was removed from Steam yesterday without so much as a warning or announcement from Gearbox, it may be best to be safe than sorry and grab any games from Telltale's catalogue while you still can.

GOG Wrote:
Sadly, we need to inform you that, due to company’s closure, all the remaining Telltale titles will be delisted from our catalog on Monday, May 27, 10am UTC. 

The titles are as follows: the Wolf Among Us, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Hector: Badge of Carnage, the Batman series, Sam & Max series, Puzzle Agent series, Tales from the Borderlands, and Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People. 

For everyone who purchased any of said titles prior to delisting, the games will remain in their GOG library.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This is sad. Because they self-published, no one but them owns the properties, so if they go under, their games basically cease to exist, legally. It's like if a musician died and took their rights to their music with them to the grave. I hope someone thinks of picking up the publishing rights to these games, but it's so hard because like all of their properties are licensed, so not only does a company have to buy the rights to the games, but the properties they're based off of Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This is sad. Because they self-published, no one but them owns the properties, so if they go under, their games basically cease to exist, legally. It's like if a musician died and took their rights to their music with them to the grave. I hope someone thinks of picking up the publishing rights to these games, but it's so hard because like all of their properties are licensed, so not only does a company have to buy the rights to the games, but the properties they're based off of Errm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If not for the licenses, their games could maybe end up like other games like Re-Volt where the developer and publisher both died off, the rights no longer belonged to anyone, and so the game can be picked up for free online legally and even turned into an open-source software. I would however argue that if any owner of the properties makes no attempt to secure any distribution rights to their respective games, that it should be free to download it from online sources because you're not taking revenue away from anyone. Similar to how downloading music from asian territories that isn't made available in the west should be fair game because if you're not selling it to me in the first place, then I'm not taking revenue from you by downloading it for free.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If not for the licenses, their games could maybe end up like other games like Re-Volt where the developer and publisher both died off, the rights no longer belonged to anyone, and so the game can be picked up for free online legally and even turned into an open-source software. I would however argue that if any owner of the properties makes no attempt to secure any distribution rights to their respective games, that it should be free to download it from online sources because you're not taking revenue away from anyone. Similar to how downloading music from asian territories that isn't made available in the west should be fair game because if you're not selling it to me in the first place, then I'm not taking revenue from you by downloading it for free.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 11 420 Apr 11th, 2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 28 8,389 Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:44 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 674 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 131 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 798 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM