Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,752
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Sep 25th, 2018, 03:59 AM)Monocle Wrote:
letting the actual voice actors say their complete lines

But why? Why cause your ears such distress by listening to the disgustingly poor excuse they call voice acting in this game? Now if we had Japanese voices, I could understand, because then it'd probably be good, but the English voices? Yeesh. I don't know what's worse, Summon Night 6's voice acting or DQXI's.

One thing this game is majorly lacking in is difficulty. There is no point in the game that challenges you even the slightest, even if you're grossly under leveled. There is an option to make the enemies harder, but unfortunately that's just the lazy route of "let's add more stats!" rather than making you have to play the game smartly. Enemy AI doesn't change or get smarter. The game desperately needs a true hard mode, not the band-aid fix that they gave it for the western release.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,752 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Sep 25th, 2018, 03:59 AM)Monocle Wrote:
letting the actual voice actors say their complete lines

But why? Why cause your ears such distress by listening to the disgustingly poor excuse they call voice acting in this game? Now if we had Japanese voices, I could understand, because then it'd probably be good, but the English voices? Yeesh. I don't know what's worse, Summon Night 6's voice acting or DQXI's.

One thing this game is majorly lacking in is difficulty. There is no point in the game that challenges you even the slightest, even if you're grossly under leveled. There is an option to make the enemies harder, but unfortunately that's just the lazy route of "let's add more stats!" rather than making you have to play the game smartly. Enemy AI doesn't change or get smarter. The game desperately needs a true hard mode, not the band-aid fix that they gave it for the western release.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Sep 25th, 2018, 06:29 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

YOU'RE a bad voice actor!

And yes. It isn't hard at all and I thought stronger monsters brought more than stat increases to monsters. Too bad I'm sure a hard mode will never happen.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

And yes. It isn't hard at all and I thought stronger monsters brought more than stat increases to monsters. Too bad I'm sure a hard mode will never happen.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Honestly, the voice acting isn't as bad as all that. DL just wants an all Japanese cast to fan boy over. :p
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
Honestly, the voice acting isn't as bad as all that. DL just wants an all Japanese cast to fan boy over. :p
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Sep 25th, 2018, 06:34 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I would be a bad voice actor. Yet I'd still be ten times better than 99% of the cast in this game. I expect bad voice acting from a tiny company like Gaijinworks, but when Square Enix puts out this quality of work, it's just pathetic. No voice acting is better than what they gave us.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Sep 25th, 2018, 06:34 PM)Monocle Wrote:

I would be a bad voice actor. Yet I'd still be ten times better than 99% of the cast in this game. I expect bad voice acting from a tiny company like Gaijinworks, but when Square Enix puts out this quality of work, it's just pathetic. No voice acting is better than what they gave us.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Sep 26th, 2018, 05:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Honestly, I dunno how much more you've heard of their voice but I think they did really well. You gave in too quickly imo lol
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Sep 26th, 2018, 05:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Honestly, I dunno how much more you've heard of their voice but I think they did really well. You gave in too quickly imo lol
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
And btw Dragon Lord your right about DQXI "being shit" because you want "better monster AI's,  better voice acting, etc, etc"?  I say you are wrong, because all I see are complaints about things I just don't see. Complaints compiled: 1] Hard mode.  There is already a hard mode its called playing at night ala Twilight Princess,  where the monsters are harder at night.  2] Bad voice acting.  Admit it already DL,  you wanted a 100% Japanese voice acted cast so quit whining already. Just because you hate a thing does not mean the rest of us feel the same way. 3] The game is not progressive due to ancient gameplay mechanics. So?  What if someone who never experienced it before just into the series & thought 'Wow,  this is so neat!' Not everyone wants turned base combat,  on a real time strategy line,  with sparkly buttons they have to push to enact a special cut scene move. Rolleyes

I'm just sick of your being nasty about games you don't like towards everyone else that do. I'm sick to death of it. Oh yea btw, I'm sure your going to ignore me because you just want to bully everyone about any game you think isn't worthy of you precious weeaboo time. If you hate it so much,  play something more your speed.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
And btw Dragon Lord your right about DQXI "being shit" because you want "better monster AI's,  better voice acting, etc, etc"?  I say you are wrong, because all I see are complaints about things I just don't see. Complaints compiled: 1] Hard mode.  There is already a hard mode its called playing at night ala Twilight Princess,  where the monsters are harder at night.  2] Bad voice acting.  Admit it already DL,  you wanted a 100% Japanese voice acted cast so quit whining already. Just because you hate a thing does not mean the rest of us feel the same way. 3] The game is not progressive due to ancient gameplay mechanics. So?  What if someone who never experienced it before just into the series & thought 'Wow,  this is so neat!' Not everyone wants turned base combat,  on a real time strategy line,  with sparkly buttons they have to push to enact a special cut scene move. Rolleyes

I'm just sick of your being nasty about games you don't like towards everyone else that do. I'm sick to death of it. Oh yea btw, I'm sure your going to ignore me because you just want to bully everyone about any game you think isn't worthy of you precious weeaboo time. If you hate it so much,  play something more your speed.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Sep 27th, 2018, 02:51 AM)King Atem Wrote:

UHHH yeah I'm gonna stop you there right now. I acknowledge the things he's saying and I'm offering my opinions on them. If you read the exact same things he said but it was a professional reviewer, I wouldn't see you reacting this way. He's entitled to his opinions and he's not just spouting it. He's offering the reason why he dislikes certain aspects of it. Do I agree? no. LOL NO. But the minute I react like that, I'm telling him that his opinions are invalid which isn't true.

As much as I love Dragon Quest, and I've played every mainline game, some multiple times, I'm not going to act like this game is perfect  Yes, certain voice actors sound bad and don't match the character at all. Yes, the game is ridiculously easy. I've already finished it. Yes, the gameplay is very traditional and this game will not age well in a few years. Those are all valid points and opinions and I still love this game in spite of that. Actually, the traditional gameplay is a plus for me. But I'm not having a bitch fit because I disagree. 

BESIDES, you stated you haven't played it. So how can you counter his opinion? Please don't white knight for a fan base that you're not even part of. We got this. If I shut down any opinion that disagreed with mine, I wouldn't be married because DAMN my wife... is a wonderful person.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Sep 27th, 2018, 02:51 AM)King Atem Wrote:

UHHH yeah I'm gonna stop you there right now. I acknowledge the things he's saying and I'm offering my opinions on them. If you read the exact same things he said but it was a professional reviewer, I wouldn't see you reacting this way. He's entitled to his opinions and he's not just spouting it. He's offering the reason why he dislikes certain aspects of it. Do I agree? no. LOL NO. But the minute I react like that, I'm telling him that his opinions are invalid which isn't true.

As much as I love Dragon Quest, and I've played every mainline game, some multiple times, I'm not going to act like this game is perfect  Yes, certain voice actors sound bad and don't match the character at all. Yes, the game is ridiculously easy. I've already finished it. Yes, the gameplay is very traditional and this game will not age well in a few years. Those are all valid points and opinions and I still love this game in spite of that. Actually, the traditional gameplay is a plus for me. But I'm not having a bitch fit because I disagree. 

BESIDES, you stated you haven't played it. So how can you counter his opinion? Please don't white knight for a fan base that you're not even part of. We got this. If I shut down any opinion that disagreed with mine, I wouldn't be married because DAMN my wife... is a wonderful person.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Wew, that's a lot of stupid in one post there. Let me address each of your points, and I'll try to use small words as not to confuse you too much.

1) Lol. Playing the game at night isn't any harder. If you find it hard, it's just because you're extremely bad at games. I'm sorry if you're so bad that you need games to hold your hand through the entire thing so you're able to beat them (or Queen in this case), but some of us more skillful gamers like when a game pushes us and makes us think about what we're doing. We actually like having to use all of a game's mechanics, not just mash Attack to win the game.

2) The voice acting thing has nothing to do with wanting Japanese voices. I said that having Japanese voices would be more desirable in this instance because the English voice acting is so bad. Your assumption that I want Japanese voices for "weeaboo" reason (by the way, it's both hilarious and pathetic seeing someone trying to use weeaboo in a serious manner in 2018) is far off the mark. I play plenty of games with English voice acting, but for games where the voice acting is god awful, I will opt to turn the voices to Japanese if the option is available. Just because your standards are so low that you're okay with trash doesn't mean everyone else has to accept it. Good try assuming that I only want Japanese audio in games though.

3) I said some (that means not all of them, in case you didn't know) of the mechanics of the game are horribly outdated and could use some modernization. A game can still be true to its roots while also introducing more modern quality of life aspects (see: Monster Hunter World, which became the best selling single title in Capcom's history, by the way. Further proving that a game can update while still pleasing the original fans while also appealing to new fans).

I know you have to white knight for Queen like always, but if she can't handle someone criticizing something she has a blind bias for, that's her problem, not mine. Maybe she should stay out of the topic if she can't handle differing opinions.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Wew, that's a lot of stupid in one post there. Let me address each of your points, and I'll try to use small words as not to confuse you too much.

1) Lol. Playing the game at night isn't any harder. If you find it hard, it's just because you're extremely bad at games. I'm sorry if you're so bad that you need games to hold your hand through the entire thing so you're able to beat them (or Queen in this case), but some of us more skillful gamers like when a game pushes us and makes us think about what we're doing. We actually like having to use all of a game's mechanics, not just mash Attack to win the game.

2) The voice acting thing has nothing to do with wanting Japanese voices. I said that having Japanese voices would be more desirable in this instance because the English voice acting is so bad. Your assumption that I want Japanese voices for "weeaboo" reason (by the way, it's both hilarious and pathetic seeing someone trying to use weeaboo in a serious manner in 2018) is far off the mark. I play plenty of games with English voice acting, but for games where the voice acting is god awful, I will opt to turn the voices to Japanese if the option is available. Just because your standards are so low that you're okay with trash doesn't mean everyone else has to accept it. Good try assuming that I only want Japanese audio in games though.

3) I said some (that means not all of them, in case you didn't know) of the mechanics of the game are horribly outdated and could use some modernization. A game can still be true to its roots while also introducing more modern quality of life aspects (see: Monster Hunter World, which became the best selling single title in Capcom's history, by the way. Further proving that a game can update while still pleasing the original fans while also appealing to new fans).

I know you have to white knight for Queen like always, but if she can't handle someone criticizing something she has a blind bias for, that's her problem, not mine. Maybe she should stay out of the topic if she can't handle differing opinions.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
OK, I have next to no interest in this game, but I can't sit by and watch this possibly escalate further into a worse situation. King Atem's method was wrong, and DL's mentioning of Queen having "blind bias" went too far as well. Don't want to see people being deterred from posting in a topic of a game they enjoy, nor attacking of other's opinions. If negative tension starts up, then agree to disagree before getting emotional. Just try and remain civil, please.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
OK, I have next to no interest in this game, but I can't sit by and watch this possibly escalate further into a worse situation. King Atem's method was wrong, and DL's mentioning of Queen having "blind bias" went too far as well. Don't want to see people being deterred from posting in a topic of a game they enjoy, nor attacking of other's opinions. If negative tension starts up, then agree to disagree before getting emotional. Just try and remain civil, please.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Just finished and got the true ending and, as a fan of the series, I loved the ending tremendously. New fans to the series will probably not understand it at all unfortunately.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
Just finished and got the true ending and, as a fan of the series, I loved the ending tremendously. New fans to the series will probably not understand it at all unfortunately.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dragon Quest XI S Announced for Nintendo Switch
During yesterday's Nintendo Direct, a new edition of Dragon Quest XI was announced exclusively for Nintendo Switch, featuring content not available in any other versions of the game.

This new edition includes new character-specific stories which will give the main cast more time to shine, and the game will boast a fully-orchestrated soundtrack, as well as the original music. You'll also be able to pick from either the English or Japanese voice track, or switch the graphics to a 16-bit style at any time. All toggleable features can be switched at will during play.

What do you think about the new content for Dragon Quest XI S? If you already own the game on another system and also own a Switch, do the additions tempt you into double dipping on the game?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,507 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dragon Quest XI S Announced for Nintendo Switch
During yesterday's Nintendo Direct, a new edition of Dragon Quest XI was announced exclusively for Nintendo Switch, featuring content not available in any other versions of the game.

This new edition includes new character-specific stories which will give the main cast more time to shine, and the game will boast a fully-orchestrated soundtrack, as well as the original music. You'll also be able to pick from either the English or Japanese voice track, or switch the graphics to a 16-bit style at any time. All toggleable features can be switched at will during play.

What do you think about the new content for Dragon Quest XI S? If you already own the game on another system and also own a Switch, do the additions tempt you into double dipping on the game?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm definitely double dipping purely because it is Dragon Quest and it has more stuff. It now has the 3DS exclusive features that I really wanted too so this is perfect. Now I'll play with Japanese voices and orchestrated soundtrack.

I already platinum this lmao. why am I excited again? love this series so damn much
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm definitely double dipping purely because it is Dragon Quest and it has more stuff. It now has the 3DS exclusive features that I really wanted too so this is perfect. Now I'll play with Japanese voices and orchestrated soundtrack.

I already platinum this lmao. why am I excited again? love this series so damn much
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Eh. Already suffered through the game once. Not going to torture myself through it again just for a bit of extra story here and there.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Eh. Already suffered through the game once. Not going to torture myself through it again just for a bit of extra story here and there.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I plan to get the Switch version because I loved the PS4 version & from what I saw in the video there's even MOAR content. I loved the game & getting a better soundtrack is fine, even if I didn't really pay any attention to it. I for one, want more story & more of the character arch's AND I want to experience some of the 3DS version that is just getting melded into the PS4 version, just at a lower frame rate & w/e with the Switch version. And you know what; I'm fine with that.

I may not hate it, but I find there's a lot there that I love from the old school days of JRPG's. I have played every Dragon Quest game I can since Dragon Quest VII & I haven't looked back.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I plan to get the Switch version because I loved the PS4 version & from what I saw in the video there's even MOAR content. I loved the game & getting a better soundtrack is fine, even if I didn't really pay any attention to it. I for one, want more story & more of the character arch's AND I want to experience some of the 3DS version that is just getting melded into the PS4 version, just at a lower frame rate & w/e with the Switch version. And you know what; I'm fine with that.

I may not hate it, but I find there's a lot there that I love from the old school days of JRPG's. I have played every Dragon Quest game I can since Dragon Quest VII & I haven't looked back.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Feb 26th, 2019, 01:35 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

how extensive is that list  did you understand the true ending of dq11?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Feb 26th, 2019, 01:35 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

how extensive is that list  did you understand the true ending of dq11?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 120 12,830 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Death end re;Quest Dragon Lord 0 3,128 Jul 8th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord