Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342
WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
Yeah I'm not sure what they might do, but looking forward to it regardless!

Crimson Heads weren't in the original PS1 version of RE1 either though, and there was quite a bit added for the remakes/remaster such as Lisa Trevor, her mother and other aspects. From what I've seen they already made a few changes like the layout of the police station that way old players don't know exactly where to go and such, even changing some puzzles, etc Tongue
[Image: ldgamalthea.png]
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342 WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
Yeah I'm not sure what they might do, but looking forward to it regardless!

Crimson Heads weren't in the original PS1 version of RE1 either though, and there was quite a bit added for the remakes/remaster such as Lisa Trevor, her mother and other aspects. From what I've seen they already made a few changes like the layout of the police station that way old players don't know exactly where to go and such, even changing some puzzles, etc Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Ah, I thought they had always been part of RE1. Am I right in thinking that game has a fair bit of backtracking which might be why they could make that work? RE2 would need a decent amount too otherwise you'd never encounter zombies you didn't kill before that mutated. I've not played either so apologies if I'm wrong on anything. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Ah, I thought they had always been part of RE1. Am I right in thinking that game has a fair bit of backtracking which might be why they could make that work? RE2 would need a decent amount too otherwise you'd never encounter zombies you didn't kill before that mutated. I've not played either so apologies if I'm wrong on anything. XD
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Ahh, nope Tongue They were one of the newer additions, same with how you were able to kill them with having 'disposable' knives and the means to burn them - neither of those were in the original games either.

There's a lot of backtracking in most of the Resident Evil games xD I think they cut back a bit in games like RE4 and RE5, but in the others the back and forth keeps you really busy lol. There's a lot of puzzles/key puzzles similar to what you had in RE7 with the Crow, Scorpion and Snake key - where a bunch of doors would be locked, you'd eventually find the key (usually through means of another puzzle) and then you'd have to go back to all of those locked doors and there's usually something useful in there/something for another puzzle/area. There's plenty of that in RE2, since they had a key puzzle that consisted of the Spade, Club, Heart, and Diamond key. That's just one example of the backtracking you have to do XD

And it's cool! Tongue I haven't played the games in awhile so hopefully I'm getting all of the details right lol.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Ahh, nope Tongue They were one of the newer additions, same with how you were able to kill them with having 'disposable' knives and the means to burn them - neither of those were in the original games either.

There's a lot of backtracking in most of the Resident Evil games xD I think they cut back a bit in games like RE4 and RE5, but in the others the back and forth keeps you really busy lol. There's a lot of puzzles/key puzzles similar to what you had in RE7 with the Crow, Scorpion and Snake key - where a bunch of doors would be locked, you'd eventually find the key (usually through means of another puzzle) and then you'd have to go back to all of those locked doors and there's usually something useful in there/something for another puzzle/area. There's plenty of that in RE2, since they had a key puzzle that consisted of the Spade, Club, Heart, and Diamond key. That's just one example of the backtracking you have to do XD

And it's cool! Tongue I haven't played the games in awhile so hopefully I'm getting all of the details right lol.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I think 4 only has you rarely revisit an area and the only one that comes to mind is the initial village. RE5 I can't even think of any area you return to in the entire game but it's been a while since I last played it and I didn't play it as much as RE4.

I overlooked the puzzles in RE2 mostly because I didn't really solve any in the demo. The only thing I did that required something was cutting the tape off the box in the starting room, which wasn't so much a puzzle as just being a progression based blockade that you can't fail at. I'm hoping not every solution for puzzles in the police station are in the police station so that you have incentive to come back to get more goodies. From what I recall RE7's puzzles only had you backtrack because solving them progressed the game rather than just giving you bonus stuff.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I think 4 only has you rarely revisit an area and the only one that comes to mind is the initial village. RE5 I can't even think of any area you return to in the entire game but it's been a while since I last played it and I didn't play it as much as RE4.

I overlooked the puzzles in RE2 mostly because I didn't really solve any in the demo. The only thing I did that required something was cutting the tape off the box in the starting room, which wasn't so much a puzzle as just being a progression based blockade that you can't fail at. I'm hoping not every solution for puzzles in the police station are in the police station so that you have incentive to come back to get more goodies. From what I recall RE7's puzzles only had you backtrack because solving them progressed the game rather than just giving you bonus stuff.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Yep I don't think there were many outside of the one you mentioned, the backtracking through the initial village but at night time to reach another door/area once you had some kind of key. I don't recall much of RE5 either to be honest, only played it once and wasn't a huge fan of it Tongue

I didn't get to any/solve puzzles in the demo either (aside from the initial mention of an escape route that Marvin/the cop gives you), thirty minutes definitely wasn't a lot of time especially since I spent so much time exploring and looking at the new details, killing zombies, etc XD I think you mentioned reaching an area that resembled a library though? That for example contains at least two puzzles (in the original game at least), one isn't really a fetch/backtrack one - just something to solve in that room, but the other requires you to find items elsewhere and return and it unlocks something else. I do think most puzzles/unlocked rooms lead to game progression rather than bonus items you may or may not need, though there may be some of those. Not entirely sure since they did change some things around.

Though I do think the game is pretty linear in the sense of once you leave a main area/complete everything and move onto the next, there's a good chance you're not going back... so I'd say most solutions for puzzles are within the same area (from what I remember). The police station is fairly large though, and I believe it includes an outside area and such too. But again, that's all subject to change XD

Resident Evil 3 let's you explore a larger map at a time so you could be backtracking across different city streets and into different buildings opposed to just the police station, for example - though you do visit the same station in RE3 too! Tongue From what I heard a remake of RE3 is already in the works as well and I'm super excited for that one too :3

I really need to replay these old games and refresh my memory lol.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Yep I don't think there were many outside of the one you mentioned, the backtracking through the initial village but at night time to reach another door/area once you had some kind of key. I don't recall much of RE5 either to be honest, only played it once and wasn't a huge fan of it Tongue

I didn't get to any/solve puzzles in the demo either (aside from the initial mention of an escape route that Marvin/the cop gives you), thirty minutes definitely wasn't a lot of time especially since I spent so much time exploring and looking at the new details, killing zombies, etc XD I think you mentioned reaching an area that resembled a library though? That for example contains at least two puzzles (in the original game at least), one isn't really a fetch/backtrack one - just something to solve in that room, but the other requires you to find items elsewhere and return and it unlocks something else. I do think most puzzles/unlocked rooms lead to game progression rather than bonus items you may or may not need, though there may be some of those. Not entirely sure since they did change some things around.

Though I do think the game is pretty linear in the sense of once you leave a main area/complete everything and move onto the next, there's a good chance you're not going back... so I'd say most solutions for puzzles are within the same area (from what I remember). The police station is fairly large though, and I believe it includes an outside area and such too. But again, that's all subject to change XD

Resident Evil 3 let's you explore a larger map at a time so you could be backtracking across different city streets and into different buildings opposed to just the police station, for example - though you do visit the same station in RE3 too! Tongue From what I heard a remake of RE3 is already in the works as well and I'm super excited for that one too :3

I really need to replay these old games and refresh my memory lol.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Launch Trailer
Two days remain until the world returns to Raccoon City. Are you prepared to face the horrors that await?

As shown at the end of the trailer, there will be free downloadable content coming post-launch, called The Ghost Survivors. It features three new survivors to experience the outbreak with: Robert Kendo, the firearms dealer who owns Raccoon City’s Kendo Gun Shop; an unnamed member of the Umbrella Security Service; and Raccoon City mayor Michael Warren’s daughter, who meets a tragic fate at the hands of the city’s police chief.

According to a translation of the event from Siliconera, The Ghost Survivors will include randomized scenarios, an enemy unique to the game mode, and a shop where players can purchase items with points they earn in-game.

I love that we're getting free DLC for the game post-launch, especially one that will add a lot of new stuff to the game. I would've expected that sort of content to be paid for in this day and age, so kudos to Capcom for letting us have it for free! Grin

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Launch Trailer
Two days remain until the world returns to Raccoon City. Are you prepared to face the horrors that await?

As shown at the end of the trailer, there will be free downloadable content coming post-launch, called The Ghost Survivors. It features three new survivors to experience the outbreak with: Robert Kendo, the firearms dealer who owns Raccoon City’s Kendo Gun Shop; an unnamed member of the Umbrella Security Service; and Raccoon City mayor Michael Warren’s daughter, who meets a tragic fate at the hands of the city’s police chief.

According to a translation of the event from Siliconera, The Ghost Survivors will include randomized scenarios, an enemy unique to the game mode, and a shop where players can purchase items with points they earn in-game.

I love that we're getting free DLC for the game post-launch, especially one that will add a lot of new stuff to the game. I would've expected that sort of content to be paid for in this day and age, so kudos to Capcom for letting us have it for free! Grin
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Aahhh I'm so excited! Grin It's been a very long time since I played a game right at launch and I'll definitely be doing that tomorrow!
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
Aahhh I'm so excited! Grin It's been a very long time since I played a game right at launch and I'll definitely be doing that tomorrow!
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I'm mildly interested in RE2 but I skipped it when it was new so it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that the first does or CV/4. Plus after playing the previous one in VR, it just isn't the same playing it on a TV. Like not scary at all. lol
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I'm mildly interested in RE2 but I skipped it when it was new so it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that the first does or CV/4. Plus after playing the previous one in VR, it just isn't the same playing it on a TV. Like not scary at all. lol
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2019, 10:22 PM)Metallix Wrote:
Plus after playing the previous one in VR, it just isn't the same playing it on a TV. Like not scary at all. lol
I think the next RE game should offer third and first person perspectives like Fallout, GTA V, RDR2, etc. so people can play it either classic style or RE7 style and VR can remain an option too. Rather than picking one perspective or another.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2019, 10:22 PM)Metallix Wrote:
Plus after playing the previous one in VR, it just isn't the same playing it on a TV. Like not scary at all. lol
I think the next RE game should offer third and first person perspectives like Fallout, GTA V, RDR2, etc. so people can play it either classic style or RE7 style and VR can remain an option too. Rather than picking one perspective or another.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Yeah I like when games give the option. Most times I prefer 3rd person but sometimes I like 1st better. Depends on the game but getting to choose is great.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Yeah I like when games give the option. Most times I prefer 3rd person but sometimes I like 1st better. Depends on the game but getting to choose is great.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
I started playing it last night and I love it so far. It's a really beautiful game with a lot of throw backs while keeping things fresh. The design of the station, the enemies, characters, they're all great.

I was so excited to start that I didn't even bother looking into whether or not there was an option between first and third person, but from a quick look around there doesn't seem to be - only the over the shoulder view. I'm indifferent personally, since I've played and enjoyed games with each. I think it works well for the game though, and (imo) it doesn't take away from the atmosphere (though I've never played VR either and I'm sure that's a hell of a lot more creepy and scary).

I did find this article that talks a bit about the camera angels/perspectives: link.

Quote:"We had discussions on whether we could make a game that was everything for everyone," said Turner while speaking to GamesIndustry. "For those guys who want tank controls and want fixed cameras... can we do that?

“But the world has moved on and these players have changed. And if we did [introduce old school mechanics], these fans might play it and actually decide it’s not what they wanted after all. But we played around with a few things in development. We did try first-person, we did try fixed camera. But the way the game has been designed, we decided that a third-person view works better.”

There's this video too, the first little bit touches on the camera angles and there's some other interesting stuff if anyone is interested Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_iIT3EPZmQ
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
I started playing it last night and I love it so far. It's a really beautiful game with a lot of throw backs while keeping things fresh. The design of the station, the enemies, characters, they're all great.

I was so excited to start that I didn't even bother looking into whether or not there was an option between first and third person, but from a quick look around there doesn't seem to be - only the over the shoulder view. I'm indifferent personally, since I've played and enjoyed games with each. I think it works well for the game though, and (imo) it doesn't take away from the atmosphere (though I've never played VR either and I'm sure that's a hell of a lot more creepy and scary).

I did find this article that talks a bit about the camera angels/perspectives: link.

Quote:"We had discussions on whether we could make a game that was everything for everyone," said Turner while speaking to GamesIndustry. "For those guys who want tank controls and want fixed cameras... can we do that?

“But the world has moved on and these players have changed. And if we did [introduce old school mechanics], these fans might play it and actually decide it’s not what they wanted after all. But we played around with a few things in development. We did try first-person, we did try fixed camera. But the way the game has been designed, we decided that a third-person view works better.”

There's this video too, the first little bit touches on the camera angles and there's some other interesting stuff if anyone is interested Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_iIT3EPZmQ
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Bought the game tonight and started with Leon. I've gotten to the point in the station with the helicopter, so not a huge amount of new stuff since a lot of what comes beforehand was in the demo, but god this game does a good job with atmosphere. So far the game just gives me that feeling I'm in for an experience that'll be worth a game of the year consideration.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Bought the game tonight and started with Leon. I've gotten to the point in the station with the helicopter, so not a huge amount of new stuff since a lot of what comes beforehand was in the demo, but god this game does a good job with atmosphere. So far the game just gives me that feeling I'm in for an experience that'll be worth a game of the year consideration.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
That's awesome! I'm really glad you're enjoying it so far and I think you're going to have a lot of fun with it xD My friend and I who are both big RE fans had a blast. Even my husband who isn't a big survival horror fan has been watching me play and thinks it's awesome Tongue

I started with Leon too and completed the game, I'm currently working on the playthrough of "Claire B", which is basically a shorter/alternate version of the story through her perspective.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
That's awesome! I'm really glad you're enjoying it so far and I think you're going to have a lot of fun with it xD My friend and I who are both big RE fans had a blast. Even my husband who isn't a big survival horror fan has been watching me play and thinks it's awesome Tongue

I started with Leon too and completed the game, I'm currently working on the playthrough of "Claire B", which is basically a shorter/alternate version of the story through her perspective.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is there any reason to play a fresh game with Claire first and then Leon? Will it be different to going Leon/Claire or do they do the same stuff but swap out the character?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is there any reason to play a fresh game with Claire first and then Leon? Will it be different to going Leon/Claire or do they do the same stuff but swap out the character?
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
I'd say mostly just to get the 'whole' experience as one character or the other? It's been so long since I played the original RE2 that I'm not sure how different the scenarios are, but I think it'd be worth giving them a run through regardless - plus they could have added/changed things since then as well Tongue

For example in my Leon A playthrough I meet Claire again shortly after the helicopter crash but she's on the other side of a locked gate. In my Claire B playthrough, I'm playing her on the other side so you see how she escapes once the fire alarm goes off/how she gets into the station that way. Whereas I believe in a Claire A/Leon B playthrough it'd be the opposite - so Leon would be the one that's locked out, and Claire's in the station first.

I plan on starting a new game with Claire once I'm done Claire B, but on Hardcore mode XD
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
I'd say mostly just to get the 'whole' experience as one character or the other? It's been so long since I played the original RE2 that I'm not sure how different the scenarios are, but I think it'd be worth giving them a run through regardless - plus they could have added/changed things since then as well Tongue

For example in my Leon A playthrough I meet Claire again shortly after the helicopter crash but she's on the other side of a locked gate. In my Claire B playthrough, I'm playing her on the other side so you see how she escapes once the fire alarm goes off/how she gets into the station that way. Whereas I believe in a Claire A/Leon B playthrough it'd be the opposite - so Leon would be the one that's locked out, and Claire's in the station first.

I plan on starting a new game with Claire once I'm done Claire B, but on Hardcore mode XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 114 11,957 Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 26,035 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,457 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,277 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,859 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface