What Would You Want On Other Classic-Style Console Releases?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So we have the NES Classic, the SNES Classic, and the PlayStation Classic, just to name the most known ones (because I expect I missed one somewhere), so let's assume other consoles up until the current generation get the same treatment (even though a PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U classic would be unrealistic, let's just have fun here), what would you want them to include and if you're feeling really brave, what do you think would be a perfect list of games for that system that would cater to the most people and genres?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So we have the NES Classic, the SNES Classic, and the PlayStation Classic, just to name the most known ones (because I expect I missed one somewhere), so let's assume other consoles up until the current generation get the same treatment (even though a PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U classic would be unrealistic, let's just have fun here), what would you want them to include and if you're feeling really brave, what do you think would be a perfect list of games for that system that would cater to the most people and genres?
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
One key thing I would want is availability. Seriously, what the hell?

And I kinda liked the C64 mini.

(Sorry, I was on my phone. Continuing now).

But honestly, I really dislike this idea in general. For me it feels like a cheap way of charging people through the nose for games they likely already own or have tried themselves, and the build quality of the systems doesn't scream "is gonna last" to me, so I don't think they have an actual chance at becoming collector's items in the future either, which makes me a lot less excited about the possibility of getting one myself.

Furthermore, I see it as a way for them to swing at the emulator market more than anything else.

As for what I'd include... well, everything that it's required for it to be played from the get-go (the C64 Mini just assumes you have a spare charger/power cable lying around) and an user-created game list. Just poll your users and pick the top rated games for it. You have the tools for it.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
One key thing I would want is availability. Seriously, what the hell?

And I kinda liked the C64 mini.

(Sorry, I was on my phone. Continuing now).

But honestly, I really dislike this idea in general. For me it feels like a cheap way of charging people through the nose for games they likely already own or have tried themselves, and the build quality of the systems doesn't scream "is gonna last" to me, so I don't think they have an actual chance at becoming collector's items in the future either, which makes me a lot less excited about the possibility of getting one myself.

Furthermore, I see it as a way for them to swing at the emulator market more than anything else.

As for what I'd include... well, everything that it's required for it to be played from the get-go (the C64 Mini just assumes you have a spare charger/power cable lying around) and an user-created game list. Just poll your users and pick the top rated games for it. You have the tools for it.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
If they ever make a Gamecube classic, it needs to have Skies of Arcadia so I can finally play it. I've always heard really good things about the game, but I was never able to get my hands on a copy, and now getting a copy is super expensive. Even used copies for for several hundred dollars normally.

I really don't know what other games I'd say to put on a Gamecube classic, that aren't already super obvious like SSB Melee and LoZ Wind Waker. I'd personally put Tales of Symphonia on there, as it is one of the GC's greatest RPGs (if not the best one on there). Slap Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on there as well (just because I never managed to get my hands on a copy of that either).

Now that I think about it, I really didn't own too many games for my Gamecube. It was pretty much just a Melee/Soul Calibur 2 machine for me, with a couple of other game sprinkled in (like ToS).

If they ever made a PS2 classic, I wouldn't even know where to start with a game list for that one. It also doesn't help that so many of the PS2 games I loved now have better versions on current consoles. You have FFX and Kingdom Hearts both available on PS4. FFX is also on Steam and soon to release on Xbox One and Switch. I guess the game I'd want to see the most on a PS2Classic would be Starwars Battlefront II so that I could play the good SWBFII again.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
If they ever make a Gamecube classic, it needs to have Skies of Arcadia so I can finally play it. I've always heard really good things about the game, but I was never able to get my hands on a copy, and now getting a copy is super expensive. Even used copies for for several hundred dollars normally.

I really don't know what other games I'd say to put on a Gamecube classic, that aren't already super obvious like SSB Melee and LoZ Wind Waker. I'd personally put Tales of Symphonia on there, as it is one of the GC's greatest RPGs (if not the best one on there). Slap Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on there as well (just because I never managed to get my hands on a copy of that either).

Now that I think about it, I really didn't own too many games for my Gamecube. It was pretty much just a Melee/Soul Calibur 2 machine for me, with a couple of other game sprinkled in (like ToS).

If they ever made a PS2 classic, I wouldn't even know where to start with a game list for that one. It also doesn't help that so many of the PS2 games I loved now have better versions on current consoles. You have FFX and Kingdom Hearts both available on PS4. FFX is also on Steam and soon to release on Xbox One and Switch. I guess the game I'd want to see the most on a PS2Classic would be Starwars Battlefront II so that I could play the good SWBFII again.
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
I agree with Nightingale 100%

My issue with these things also because of licensing I know you can't have every (official) game on a system (but honestly we have SD cards that could fit every game in the NES/SNES library in it) there should be away to allow you to use your cartridge if you had one.

@DragonLord I agree with the StarWars BFII I just want to also see SWBFI again, as you can't find it anywhere.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
I agree with Nightingale 100%

My issue with these things also because of licensing I know you can't have every (official) game on a system (but honestly we have SD cards that could fit every game in the NES/SNES library in it) there should be away to allow you to use your cartridge if you had one.

@DragonLord I agree with the StarWars BFII I just want to also see SWBFI again, as you can't find it anywhere.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Honestly, I dunno what I would want. Not because I'm not nostalgic but because there's already way too many releases now to really have time to look back. Besides, my favorite part about emulating is fan translations and rom hacks. The things that the community does are just mind blowing and for developers to largely ignore these things and the people who put in all this work is a crime. So yeah, if they could have a micro sd card port with which we could fill whatever we want, then they'd be more appealing but i guess that's what retropie and other similar devices are all about.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Honestly, I dunno what I would want. Not because I'm not nostalgic but because there's already way too many releases now to really have time to look back. Besides, my favorite part about emulating is fan translations and rom hacks. The things that the community does are just mind blowing and for developers to largely ignore these things and the people who put in all this work is a crime. So yeah, if they could have a micro sd card port with which we could fill whatever we want, then they'd be more appealing but i guess that's what retropie and other similar devices are all about.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Realised I never gave any sort of wishlist of my own, and since I was thinking of what could go onto a PS2 Classic (which I feel could happen but might not given how poor the PS Classic seemingly did) I'll throw in my two retro cents:
  • Ratchet & Clank (OG) or Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (I'd personally say GC should go in because it's the best one from the PS2 era)
  • Jak & Daxter (I would go for Jak 3, but unless people know the plot going in that game would be confusing to follow)
  • Something from Sly Cooper would be a good idea
  • Gran Turismo 3 (doubt it would happen because there wasn't a GT in the PS Classic, but I'm making a list for an ideal world)
  • Ape Escape 3 (the OG should've been on Classic but wasn't because of a lack of a dualshock, so the series should get something in the PS2 Classic to make up for it)
  • Some GTA game would probably end up in there since three of them are in the top ten best sellers for PS2
  • Tekken 5 or Tekken Tag Tournament (I'd personally go for 5 since it's more significant than TTT)
  • One of the God of War games (given how the new game boosted that series popularity, may as well let people get a taste of the OG stuff)
  • Kingdom Hearts (although it could really be left out, given you can get it from plenty of other places and no one would use a PS2 Classic to play this)
  • A Tony Hawk game (popular and gets some sports in there)
  • Something from Midnight Club (was a launch series for the system I think and tends to be fondly remembered from that system)
  • Burnout 2
I know there's more that list could have, especially on the RPG side and FPS side, but I'm not well versed enough in those to pick games out other than ones that are so stupidly popular like CoD and KH that other gems would be missed by me.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see an N64 Classic emerge at some point. Not going to try and put together a list of what I'd want on it though since apart from the blatant stuff like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye, I don't really know much about the big classics for that system.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Realised I never gave any sort of wishlist of my own, and since I was thinking of what could go onto a PS2 Classic (which I feel could happen but might not given how poor the PS Classic seemingly did) I'll throw in my two retro cents:
  • Ratchet & Clank (OG) or Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (I'd personally say GC should go in because it's the best one from the PS2 era)
  • Jak & Daxter (I would go for Jak 3, but unless people know the plot going in that game would be confusing to follow)
  • Something from Sly Cooper would be a good idea
  • Gran Turismo 3 (doubt it would happen because there wasn't a GT in the PS Classic, but I'm making a list for an ideal world)
  • Ape Escape 3 (the OG should've been on Classic but wasn't because of a lack of a dualshock, so the series should get something in the PS2 Classic to make up for it)
  • Some GTA game would probably end up in there since three of them are in the top ten best sellers for PS2
  • Tekken 5 or Tekken Tag Tournament (I'd personally go for 5 since it's more significant than TTT)
  • One of the God of War games (given how the new game boosted that series popularity, may as well let people get a taste of the OG stuff)
  • Kingdom Hearts (although it could really be left out, given you can get it from plenty of other places and no one would use a PS2 Classic to play this)
  • A Tony Hawk game (popular and gets some sports in there)
  • Something from Midnight Club (was a launch series for the system I think and tends to be fondly remembered from that system)
  • Burnout 2
I know there's more that list could have, especially on the RPG side and FPS side, but I'm not well versed enough in those to pick games out other than ones that are so stupidly popular like CoD and KH that other gems would be missed by me.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see an N64 Classic emerge at some point. Not going to try and put together a list of what I'd want on it though since apart from the blatant stuff like Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye, I don't really know much about the big classics for that system.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 28th, 2019, 09:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, this one would be pretty pointless considering that not only can you play it on PS3/PS4, but you get a vastly superior version on those systems. Not only with the Final Mix content that the PS2 in the west never got, but also the PS4 version runs at 60 FPS, which is a huge upgrade for an action game.

If they ever make a PS2 Classic and put KH on there, I'm really going to wonder what the hell Sony is smoking.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 28th, 2019, 09:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, this one would be pretty pointless considering that not only can you play it on PS3/PS4, but you get a vastly superior version on those systems. Not only with the Final Mix content that the PS2 in the west never got, but also the PS4 version runs at 60 FPS, which is a huge upgrade for an action game.

If they ever make a PS2 Classic and put KH on there, I'm really going to wonder what the hell Sony is smoking.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only reason I could see KH going onto a PS2 Classic is because SE pay Sony to have it put on there just to try and use the system as a way to find new fans for the series. I'd argue if you haven't played KH by now that you're not going to, but I also would think RE4 has been touched by everyone who cares by now and yet it still finds its way onto anything that can run it. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only reason I could see KH going onto a PS2 Classic is because SE pay Sony to have it put on there just to try and use the system as a way to find new fans for the series. I'd argue if you haven't played KH by now that you're not going to, but I also would think RE4 has been touched by everyone who cares by now and yet it still finds its way onto anything that can run it. ROFL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If a Third-Party Publisher Made a Console... Moonface 4 164 Mar 9th, 2024, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Which Console Had The Best Launch Line-Up? Moonface 3 530 Sep 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
  If Sega Didn't Leave The Console Business When They Did? Moonface 0 439 Jun 10th, 2023, 11:18 PM
  Do You Use Console Screenshot/Video Capture? Moonface 4 795 May 27th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Console Libraries: Quality or Quantity? Moonface 1 491 May 10th, 2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord