Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So, a heated argument between myself and a thick-skulled friend got me inspired to make this topic: are there any gaming genres you particularly like or avoid?

For me, there are two I can immediately think of that I avoid: RTSes, and survival crafting games. RTSes I just plain suck at them; I'm simply not a good macromanager, and I'm unable to play them effectively, and I don't really find any joy in being crushed repeatedly until I figure out how to actually play, so I just don't. I mean, I tried Starcraft 2 (once), and I sucked at it. I've played RTSes earlier in age, and sucked at those. The only one I've been competent at is Halo Wars 2, which may as well be "babbies fiwst game" in terms of the genre.

Survival crafting games, however, I just find boring. There's nothing to do except dick about with the crafting system! I'd like some, you know, structure to my games? Maybe a story? A questline to make it feel like I'm accomplishing things? I don't really want to play a game where the game basically says "here's a pickaxe; go have fun", which is why I'm INCREDIBLY pissed that Fallout 76 is doing exactly that (and spawning the whole argument with said thick-skulled friend in the first place).
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So, a heated argument between myself and a thick-skulled friend got me inspired to make this topic: are there any gaming genres you particularly like or avoid?

For me, there are two I can immediately think of that I avoid: RTSes, and survival crafting games. RTSes I just plain suck at them; I'm simply not a good macromanager, and I'm unable to play them effectively, and I don't really find any joy in being crushed repeatedly until I figure out how to actually play, so I just don't. I mean, I tried Starcraft 2 (once), and I sucked at it. I've played RTSes earlier in age, and sucked at those. The only one I've been competent at is Halo Wars 2, which may as well be "babbies fiwst game" in terms of the genre.

Survival crafting games, however, I just find boring. There's nothing to do except dick about with the crafting system! I'd like some, you know, structure to my games? Maybe a story? A questline to make it feel like I'm accomplishing things? I don't really want to play a game where the game basically says "here's a pickaxe; go have fun", which is why I'm INCREDIBLY pissed that Fallout 76 is doing exactly that (and spawning the whole argument with said thick-skulled friend in the first place).
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Simulation games I can't get into. I can never understand what's enjoyable about driving trains or tractors as if you're doing a real job. Train Simulator looks like you just sit in a cab and push the right buttons and levers to not kill the passengers.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Simulation games I can't get into. I can never understand what's enjoyable about driving trains or tractors as if you're doing a real job. Train Simulator looks like you just sit in a cab and push the right buttons and levers to not kill the passengers.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Simulators (farming, driving, flying, etc.), Shooters (they just bore me, unless they're like Bullet Girls and provide certain assets for me to enjoy Wink ), Fighting games I tend to get bored of really fast. I don't particularly care for Shmups either, though I do enjoy games that have shmup aspects (like Rabi-Ribi). Sports games bore the ever loving shit out of me (funny, considering I love Baseball, but can't play a baseball video game). I tend to lose interest in racing games extremely quickly as well.

Hunting games (not of the God Eater/Toukiden/Monster Hunter variety) are a definite no for me as well. Dancing and singing games are also on my "not gonna happen" list.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Simulators (farming, driving, flying, etc.), Shooters (they just bore me, unless they're like Bullet Girls and provide certain assets for me to enjoy Wink ), Fighting games I tend to get bored of really fast. I don't particularly care for Shmups either, though I do enjoy games that have shmup aspects (like Rabi-Ribi). Sports games bore the ever loving shit out of me (funny, considering I love Baseball, but can't play a baseball video game). I tend to lose interest in racing games extremely quickly as well.

Hunting games (not of the God Eater/Toukiden/Monster Hunter variety) are a definite no for me as well. Dancing and singing games are also on my "not gonna happen" list.
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
I hate and almost always refuse to play 3D games, unless that particular game has something really interesting that will force me to endure the fact that it's in 3D. I pretty much play only 2D games. Part of that is that I hate how 3D games look like (at times they're too realistic, and I prefer cartoonish look in games), but also because I suck really hard at that kind of games. Quite recently (a few months ago) I tried demo of Castlevania (I think it was Lord of Shadows, but it also could be the Mirror of Fate) and... I was unable to beat the tutorial (!). And so I dropped it.

@Moonie: A while ago I argued with a girl that had over 500 hours into a pregnancy simulator. There are much worse things than trains and tractors Tongue
Nemomon Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Hollow Knight
Favourite Platform(s)
NES
XP: 2,285
I hate and almost always refuse to play 3D games, unless that particular game has something really interesting that will force me to endure the fact that it's in 3D. I pretty much play only 2D games. Part of that is that I hate how 3D games look like (at times they're too realistic, and I prefer cartoonish look in games), but also because I suck really hard at that kind of games. Quite recently (a few months ago) I tried demo of Castlevania (I think it was Lord of Shadows, but it also could be the Mirror of Fate) and... I was unable to beat the tutorial (!). And so I dropped it.

@Moonie: A while ago I argued with a girl that had over 500 hours into a pregnancy simulator. There are much worse things than trains and tractors Tongue
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dragon Lord Wrote:
I don't particularly care for Shmups either, though I do enjoy games that have shmup aspects (like Rabi-Ribi).
What are Shmup games? Blink
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Dragon Lord Wrote:
I don't particularly care for Shmups either, though I do enjoy games that have shmup aspects (like Rabi-Ribi).
What are Shmup games? Blink
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Shmup - Shoot em' up

Quote:Shoot 'em up (also known as shmup or STG) is a subgenre of the shooter genre of video games. In a shoot 'em up, the player character moves forward automatically, often in a flying vehicle such as a spacecraft or aircraft, shooting large numbers of enemies while dodging obstacles.

A couple examples of types of shmups would be rail shooters and bullet hell games.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Shmup - Shoot em' up

Quote:Shoot 'em up (also known as shmup or STG) is a subgenre of the shooter genre of video games. In a shoot 'em up, the player character moves forward automatically, often in a flying vehicle such as a spacecraft or aircraft, shooting large numbers of enemies while dodging obstacles.

A couple examples of types of shmups would be rail shooters and bullet hell games.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I tend to avoid FPS games: I'm not good at them, and I find that they can get repetitive quickly. This is especially true of competitive multi-player FPS games (although I'd probably be able to tolerate a good story-driven FPS that was single-player or co-op). I also avoid horror games, although that's more to do with a lack of interest in horror in general, rather than any particular problems with horror games.

As for my go-to genres, strategy and puzzle games tend to be my preferred genres. I need something that'll give my brain a good workout Tongue . Or, any RPG with a fascinating and immersive world will keep me occupied for hours.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I tend to avoid FPS games: I'm not good at them, and I find that they can get repetitive quickly. This is especially true of competitive multi-player FPS games (although I'd probably be able to tolerate a good story-driven FPS that was single-player or co-op). I also avoid horror games, although that's more to do with a lack of interest in horror in general, rather than any particular problems with horror games.

As for my go-to genres, strategy and puzzle games tend to be my preferred genres. I need something that'll give my brain a good workout Tongue . Or, any RPG with a fascinating and immersive world will keep me occupied for hours.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Oct 11th, 2018, 04:39 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I second all of this with the exception of Shooters. Give me a good feeling shooter with an engaging story or theme to carry my through an experience in which the shooting makes sense or feels fun, and you sold me. This, among a few other genres, I'll generally give exceptions to if the games are really good, and for me, that applies to most media. I wouldn't go out of my way to play a puzzle game, but if I hear good word on it, I'll be interested to try it for sure.

I have a love/hate with simulation games, though I'm more talking about simulations that are user-created experiences (building, creating, etc). I think they're the biggest waste of time since they're usually very well self-contained (as in, a solitary experience), and when you're done making whatever it is the game has you doing, you can admire your work for about 5 minutes before thinking "Well. That's that, I guess" and move on with life. I can get very easily lost in that solitary experience then come to that ending and feel absolutely annoyed. LOL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Oct 11th, 2018, 04:39 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I second all of this with the exception of Shooters. Give me a good feeling shooter with an engaging story or theme to carry my through an experience in which the shooting makes sense or feels fun, and you sold me. This, among a few other genres, I'll generally give exceptions to if the games are really good, and for me, that applies to most media. I wouldn't go out of my way to play a puzzle game, but if I hear good word on it, I'll be interested to try it for sure.

I have a love/hate with simulation games, though I'm more talking about simulations that are user-created experiences (building, creating, etc). I think they're the biggest waste of time since they're usually very well self-contained (as in, a solitary experience), and when you're done making whatever it is the game has you doing, you can admire your work for about 5 minutes before thinking "Well. That's that, I guess" and move on with life. I can get very easily lost in that solitary experience then come to that ending and feel absolutely annoyed. LOL
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
RTS I don't mind, but I've only played against AI. Used to play a lot during secondary school. Games I used to play were long or never finished, so I don't play them really anymore. Against players I'd probably suck. Puzzle games are OK, just not ones I'd be really excited to play. Mixed feelings with FPS, I'd much rather play 3rd person and I'm not good at FPS either. Remember thoroughly enjoying my playthrough of Call of Duty: Finest Hour, but no other game I've played since got to that experience. Also haven't played much since either.

Survival crafting I didn't get into but have been impressed but things I've seen or watched, but they're usually the finished producy or WIP of what the players were doing. Simulation, other than the odd WWE game if they come under that genre, don't look that fun. Sims (mostly with sister) and a game I played on Facebook when I first joined were the only games played for a somewhat significant time. Don't play anymore as they're not my thing. Shoot 'Em Ups I haven't played much but what I did meant I had no further interest in. XD Sports, if they're meant to based on exactly on real life then I'd rather not, but would play if it were the games I used to play with my brother on the PS1. Mario sports is where they're at (although not played any Mario baseball or golf, tennis can get boring as a video game even though I can watch real games on TV), or racing games with items and such to make things more fun.

Action, Platformer and Action-Adventure is closer as genres more my thing, but RPGs, Action RPGs, Tactical RPGs and Fighting are my favourite. Enjoy managing my party and fighting with them in RPGs (and the two others). Fighting depends more on the game though. Did dabble in some outisde of Tekken, but that series has more movement to utilise. Also the accuracy and execution needed to know how to use a character to your own style is cool. Of course there's more annoyances to deal with, but it's probably the closest to competing in something I'll get.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
RTS I don't mind, but I've only played against AI. Used to play a lot during secondary school. Games I used to play were long or never finished, so I don't play them really anymore. Against players I'd probably suck. Puzzle games are OK, just not ones I'd be really excited to play. Mixed feelings with FPS, I'd much rather play 3rd person and I'm not good at FPS either. Remember thoroughly enjoying my playthrough of Call of Duty: Finest Hour, but no other game I've played since got to that experience. Also haven't played much since either.

Survival crafting I didn't get into but have been impressed but things I've seen or watched, but they're usually the finished producy or WIP of what the players were doing. Simulation, other than the odd WWE game if they come under that genre, don't look that fun. Sims (mostly with sister) and a game I played on Facebook when I first joined were the only games played for a somewhat significant time. Don't play anymore as they're not my thing. Shoot 'Em Ups I haven't played much but what I did meant I had no further interest in. XD Sports, if they're meant to based on exactly on real life then I'd rather not, but would play if it were the games I used to play with my brother on the PS1. Mario sports is where they're at (although not played any Mario baseball or golf, tennis can get boring as a video game even though I can watch real games on TV), or racing games with items and such to make things more fun.

Action, Platformer and Action-Adventure is closer as genres more my thing, but RPGs, Action RPGs, Tactical RPGs and Fighting are my favourite. Enjoy managing my party and fighting with them in RPGs (and the two others). Fighting depends more on the game though. Did dabble in some outisde of Tekken, but that series has more movement to utilise. Also the accuracy and execution needed to know how to use a character to your own style is cool. Of course there's more annoyances to deal with, but it's probably the closest to competing in something I'll get.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite/Preferred Sub-Genres? Moonface 2 385 Sep 13th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,846 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface