Worst Game Launch?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In light of the recent releases of Fallout 76 and Red Dead Online and the negative response to their respective launches, I was wondering what everyone thinks is the worst launch a game has had.

I can't decide yet what one I think is the all time worst, but Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, and Star Wars Battlefront II all come to mind as games that had horrific launches, all for the same reason of failing to deliver on promises or repeating past mistakes but doing them even worse this time around.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In light of the recent releases of Fallout 76 and Red Dead Online and the negative response to their respective launches, I was wondering what everyone thinks is the worst launch a game has had.

I can't decide yet what one I think is the all time worst, but Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, and Star Wars Battlefront II all come to mind as games that had horrific launches, all for the same reason of failing to deliver on promises or repeating past mistakes but doing them even worse this time around.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind, considering I can think of at least one game critic (Jim Sterling) who is still mad about it and will never let that go. Also, was hilarious when it turned out that the crappy AI on the Aliens in that game was because of a typo in the game code.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind, considering I can think of at least one game critic (Jim Sterling) who is still mad about it and will never let that go. Also, was hilarious when it turned out that the crappy AI on the Aliens in that game was because of a typo in the game code.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I still find Battlefront 2 to be the worst launch mainly because of how scummy they were about the whole thing.

Or maybe Andromeda?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I still find Battlefront 2 to be the worst launch mainly because of how scummy they were about the whole thing.

Or maybe Andromeda?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
No Man's Sky holds the title of worst game launch.

No other game will ever take that title from NMS. If Fallout76 couldn't do it (and they sure tried their hardest), no game can.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
No Man's Sky holds the title of worst game launch.

No other game will ever take that title from NMS. If Fallout76 couldn't do it (and they sure tried their hardest), no game can.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
So because I have the attention span of a snail how come No Man's Sky was such a bad launch? I think I heard the game was unfinished, but I didn't necessarily think that would give it the title of worst launch of a game ever? :thinking:

Is their something I'm missing?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
So because I have the attention span of a snail how come No Man's Sky was such a bad launch? I think I heard the game was unfinished, but I didn't necessarily think that would give it the title of worst launch of a game ever? :thinking:

Is their something I'm missing?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Game was lacking like 80%+ of the content it was promised to have at launch, including multiplayer (which is a huge reason people even got the game to begin with).

The game was extremely empty with hardly anything to actually do (when they claimed otherwise). It was a huge joke. They finally started to patch in the content that they had promised, but that doesn't change how disastrous the launch was.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Game was lacking like 80%+ of the content it was promised to have at launch, including multiplayer (which is a huge reason people even got the game to begin with).

The game was extremely empty with hardly anything to actually do (when they claimed otherwise). It was a huge joke. They finally started to patch in the content that they had promised, but that doesn't change how disastrous the launch was.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The Silent Man. A movie/game recently released by squarenix. Have you heard of it before now? I sure didn't which is exactly why I consider it to be the worse game launch since no one really knew about it until square silently released it & tweeted about it once; iirc. That & the reviews for it didn't really make me want to care to get it anyway.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The Silent Man. A movie/game recently released by squarenix. Have you heard of it before now? I sure didn't which is exactly why I consider it to be the worse game launch since no one really knew about it until square silently released it & tweeted about it once; iirc. That & the reviews for it didn't really make me want to care to get it anyway.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, you mean The Quiet Man, right? The game with the gimmick of the entirety of it been with muffled audio? Yeah, how did SqueEnix let THAT one slide by?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, you mean The Quiet Man, right? The game with the gimmick of the entirety of it been with muffled audio? Yeah, how did SqueEnix let THAT one slide by?
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Batman: Arkham Knight.

The console versions were fine; however, the PC launch (on 23rd June 2015) was a total disaster. It was plagued with numerous technical problems (e.g. textures not displaying correctly, stuttering when using vehicles, framerate capped at 30FPS). On 24th June 2015, just a day after launch, the game was pulled from sale while the issues were patched - and it wasn't until October 2015 that it was on sale again.

It's all fixed now, of course; however, to this day, it boasts a User Score of 2.9 on Metacritic.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Batman: Arkham Knight.

The console versions were fine; however, the PC launch (on 23rd June 2015) was a total disaster. It was plagued with numerous technical problems (e.g. textures not displaying correctly, stuttering when using vehicles, framerate capped at 30FPS). On 24th June 2015, just a day after launch, the game was pulled from sale while the issues were patched - and it wasn't until October 2015 that it was on sale again.

It's all fixed now, of course; however, to this day, it boasts a User Score of 2.9 on Metacritic.
fantanoice Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,267
Pac-Man Crash Bandicoot 
When Governments across the world have to make new laws because your game is scummy and predatory then yeah, you basically have a shit game. So SWBFII definitely comes to mind. Having the most downvoted post on Reddit is a poor look as well.

Another strong contender is Ashes Cricket (2013) (not to be confused with Ashes Cricket (2017) which is a v good game no bias) which got pulled from sale after launch because it was such a buggy mess, then cancelled on all platforms.
And on that day, mankind received a grim reminder...
[Image: tumblr_mz2zenFSln1sl5pypo1_400.gif]
Fanta on Twitch | Fanta on Mixer
fantanoice Offline
Beginner
XP: 2,267 Pac-Man Crash Bandicoot 
When Governments across the world have to make new laws because your game is scummy and predatory then yeah, you basically have a shit game. So SWBFII definitely comes to mind. Having the most downvoted post on Reddit is a poor look as well.

Another strong contender is Ashes Cricket (2013) (not to be confused with Ashes Cricket (2017) which is a v good game no bias) which got pulled from sale after launch because it was such a buggy mess, then cancelled on all platforms.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I think if there's a game that's trying to give it a good go at a horrendous launch, it's Battlefield 5. I mean, sure, it's not mired in controversy (it just had the STUPID controversy over the rewriting of the Norwegian Heavy Water Plant story and the robo-woman soldier in the trailer), but less than half the sales of Battlefield 1?! How do you fail THAT badly?! Well, maybe by having only half your content available at launch! That'll probably not help you out!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
I think if there's a game that's trying to give it a good go at a horrendous launch, it's Battlefield 5. I mean, sure, it's not mired in controversy (it just had the STUPID controversy over the rewriting of the Norwegian Heavy Water Plant story and the robo-woman soldier in the trailer), but less than half the sales of Battlefield 1?! How do you fail THAT badly?! Well, maybe by having only half your content available at launch! That'll probably not help you out!
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Nothing beats The Culling 2. They pulled the game after only a week and gave out refunds. A week! That's how bad the game did.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Nothing beats The Culling 2. They pulled the game after only a week and gave out refunds. A week! That's how bad the game did.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, if you're bringing up games that got pulled for whatever reason, then a "bad game launch" discussion wouldn't be complete without Too Human. Failing so bad you get sued into oblivion by Epic Games? Insert Roblox "Oof!" here.

Oh, you've probably never seen a Too Human game in the wild and forgot it was a thing? It was a decade ago, after all. See, when Epic Games won the lawsuit, the court ordered Silicon Knights to recall any and all unsold copies, and to remove the game from any online sales. Despite this, you can still get the game at stupidly cheap prices! Jesus, 5 bucks?! I might just start using eBay again...
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Oh, if you're bringing up games that got pulled for whatever reason, then a "bad game launch" discussion wouldn't be complete without Too Human. Failing so bad you get sued into oblivion by Epic Games? Insert Roblox "Oof!" here.

Oh, you've probably never seen a Too Human game in the wild and forgot it was a thing? It was a decade ago, after all. See, when Epic Games won the lawsuit, the court ordered Silicon Knights to recall any and all unsold copies, and to remove the game from any online sales. Despite this, you can still get the game at stupidly cheap prices! Jesus, 5 bucks?! I might just start using eBay again...
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 1st, 2018, 03:56 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I completely forgot about this game (like I'm sure most people try to do). That one is definitely up there are a terrible launch, and one that didn't even see an attempt from the developers to fix it. Errm

(Dec 2nd, 2018, 06:53 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
The Silent Man. A movie/game recently released by squarenix. Have you heard of it before now? I sure didn't which is exactly why I consider it to be the worse game launch since no one really knew about it until square silently released it & tweeted about it once; iirc. That & the reviews for it  didn't really make me want to care to get it anyway.
I'd heard of it but had no idea it had released, then once I learned that I didn't see anyone really justifying it having a big launch anyway. I'm guessing Square knew the game wasn't that good and just decided to push it out quietly rather than draw attention to it and waste money on marketing.

(Dec 4th, 2018, 06:07 AM)Monocle Wrote:
I didn't even know The Culling had a sequel. Blink

NMS I think takes the title of game launch with the least amount of promises fulfilled. Props on the developers for continuing to work on the game and add content, but I can't even think of anything the game had to redeem itself with when it launched in the state that it did. FO76 lacks in things promised but I don't think it's to the extent of NMS. FO76's biggest downfall was that Bethesda promoted it as having XYZ and within less than six months the things they talked about weren't how they claimed. I can understand it when a company promotes something over a year out with vertical slices and such and they haven't determined what the full game can/can't handle, but surely FO76 was along far enough at the time of its announcement for Bethesda to have a decent understanding of what they were going to pull off for the launch. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,150 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I completely forgot about this game (like I'm sure most people try to do). That one is definitely up there are a terrible launch, and one that didn't even see an attempt from the developers to fix it. Errm

The Silent Man. A movie/game recently released by squarenix. Have you heard of it before now? I sure didn't which is exactly why I consider it to be the worse game launch since no one really knew about it until square silently released it & tweeted about it once; iirc. That & the reviews for it  didn't really make me want to care to get it anyway.
I'd heard of it but had no idea it had released, then once I learned that I didn't see anyone really justifying it having a big launch anyway. I'm guessing Square knew the game wasn't that good and just decided to push it out quietly rather than draw attention to it and waste money on marketing.

NMS I think takes the title of game launch with the least amount of promises fulfilled. Props on the developers for continuing to work on the game and add content, but I can't even think of anything the game had to redeem itself with when it launched in the state that it did. FO76 lacks in things promised but I don't think it's to the extent of NMS. FO76's biggest downfall was that Bethesda promoted it as having XYZ and within less than six months the things they talked about weren't how they claimed. I can understand it when a company promotes something over a year out with vertical slices and such and they haven't determined what the full game can/can't handle, but surely FO76 was along far enough at the time of its announcement for Bethesda to have a decent understanding of what they were going to pull off for the launch. Errm
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Dec 4th, 2018, 05:57 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think Fallout 76 outdid NMS, you had the buggy to hell (but with it being a bethesda should surprise no one, but no console commands to unfuck things or mods), then you had "Oh hey I paid 200 dollars for what was advertised as a canvas bag but its a cheaper nylon bag..." thing, and now you have "Oh yeah Bethesda now has had a data leak of their customer data that wasn't even the work of a bad actor".

Oh and Fallout 76 going on 50/55% off sales not even a week after release.
Fallout 76 is bringing me way more free entertainment that I was expecting.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Dec 4th, 2018, 05:57 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I think Fallout 76 outdid NMS, you had the buggy to hell (but with it being a bethesda should surprise no one, but no console commands to unfuck things or mods), then you had "Oh hey I paid 200 dollars for what was advertised as a canvas bag but its a cheaper nylon bag..." thing, and now you have "Oh yeah Bethesda now has had a data leak of their customer data that wasn't even the work of a bad actor".

Oh and Fallout 76 going on 50/55% off sales not even a week after release.
Fallout 76 is bringing me way more free entertainment that I was expecting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst (Cyber) Attack to a Game Company? Moonface 4 273 Dec 22nd, 2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 729 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  What was the worst incident of spoilers that ever happened to you? popopdc 1 561 Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Best/Worst Sections in Games Moonface 14 9,513 Jul 14th, 2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: WR91
  Best/Worst Licensed Soundtracks? Moonface 11 5,022 Dec 19th, 2020, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Maniakkid25