Notable/Celebrity Deaths | Mutsumi Inomata (63), "Tales of" character designer
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The nice thing about the Queen's death is that it's not really a sad death. She lived a very long, full life, so it's one of those situations where you can look back and admire what was, rather than ask, "What could have been?" Just think about all of the things she got to see and do in 96 whole years.

The thing about the situation that's truly sad is the people out there celebrating that she died. If the only joy in your life comes from someone else dying... you have to rethink some stuff.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,794 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The nice thing about the Queen's death is that it's not really a sad death. She lived a very long, full life, so it's one of those situations where you can look back and admire what was, rather than ask, "What could have been?" Just think about all of the things she got to see and do in 96 whole years.

The thing about the situation that's truly sad is the people out there celebrating that she died. If the only joy in your life comes from someone else dying... you have to rethink some stuff.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 13th, 2022, 01:14 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I agree with you on the first half for sure! I actually heard the news from another friend of mine in Europe. He obviously wasn't happy, but he wasn't really all that sad either. She was very old, ran the kingdom for such a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost seemed Bittersweet. If I remember correctly, her health wasn't the best in later years. She's at peace now :-)
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 13th, 2022, 01:14 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

I agree with you on the first half for sure! I actually heard the news from another friend of mine in Europe. He obviously wasn't happy, but he wasn't really all that sad either. She was very old, ran the kingdom for such a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost seemed Bittersweet. If I remember correctly, her health wasn't the best in later years. She's at peace now :-)
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Honestly, if I had to guess, people are celebrating for one of two reasons:

1. She is the figurehead of a backwards ideology, despite the fact that she basically exercised no public will over the domestic direction of the UK (she famously kept her political opinions tight-lipped).

2. Her death probably means the monarchy will soon be abolished.

I wouldn't say the monarchy is a rickety bridge, but there wasn't much political will to abolish the monarchy specifically because the Queen was in power. She rather famously kept high approval ratings through most of her rule, probably because of the lack of exercising her political power outside of closed doors. With King Charles in power, I doubt it will be abolished before the next generation, but I do think the clock is now ticking on the British Monarchy.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
Honestly, if I had to guess, people are celebrating for one of two reasons:

1. She is the figurehead of a backwards ideology, despite the fact that she basically exercised no public will over the domestic direction of the UK (she famously kept her political opinions tight-lipped).

2. Her death probably means the monarchy will soon be abolished.

I wouldn't say the monarchy is a rickety bridge, but there wasn't much political will to abolish the monarchy specifically because the Queen was in power. She rather famously kept high approval ratings through most of her rule, probably because of the lack of exercising her political power outside of closed doors. With King Charles in power, I doubt it will be abolished before the next generation, but I do think the clock is now ticking on the British Monarchy.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In regards to the celebratory comments being made around the internet over the Queen's death, I have to say that at first I was actually really shocked by the amount of it because I'd never heard about a lot of the negative things the monarchy has done during its existence, and felt rather put-off seeing people happy someone died. I can't say I still really agree with attacking a deceased person while their body is still warm despite the history, but having had a harsh wake-up call to what the monarchy as an institution has done I can understand the potent disdain for it.

Like @Maniakkid25 said, I doubt anything will change while Charles holds the reins, but I won't be surprised to see William make sweeping changes to it given he is considerably younger and has likely seen a lot of bullshit due to being Diana's kid, just as Harry has except he just washed his hands of the whole shit show, which is certainly a fine approach but I feel like at least one of them will have to be the one to take over if they want to change it, since if both walked away I'm sure some other muppet would just take the opportunity to grab the power and not rock the boat so they keep that power and wealth.

I will say that regardless of the Queen's character and heritage, I think the people who were lining up for three miles overnight in London to see her casket or whatever to pay respects is pretty ridiculous. I don't feel like anyone on the planet is worth waiting in that, no matter how good of a person they are. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,540 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
In regards to the celebratory comments being made around the internet over the Queen's death, I have to say that at first I was actually really shocked by the amount of it because I'd never heard about a lot of the negative things the monarchy has done during its existence, and felt rather put-off seeing people happy someone died. I can't say I still really agree with attacking a deceased person while their body is still warm despite the history, but having had a harsh wake-up call to what the monarchy as an institution has done I can understand the potent disdain for it.

Like @Maniakkid25 said, I doubt anything will change while Charles holds the reins, but I won't be surprised to see William make sweeping changes to it given he is considerably younger and has likely seen a lot of bullshit due to being Diana's kid, just as Harry has except he just washed his hands of the whole shit show, which is certainly a fine approach but I feel like at least one of them will have to be the one to take over if they want to change it, since if both walked away I'm sure some other muppet would just take the opportunity to grab the power and not rock the boat so they keep that power and wealth.

I will say that regardless of the Queen's character and heritage, I think the people who were lining up for three miles overnight in London to see her casket or whatever to pay respects is pretty ridiculous. I don't feel like anyone on the planet is worth waiting in that, no matter how good of a person they are. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
And people are still in that queue or joined it like this morning/yesterday and still there. Screw doing that. Also shows how many people there are, the amount of people wanting to pay respects making such a huge queue, the people who've already done so, the people who couldn't careless, the people who are hating her/enjoying she's gone, and others who can't make it. You'd think after a number of days mostly everyone who has gone up there have been done and there's a few left, but nope. Bet there'll be some cut short because they need to start getting the coffin ready for Monday.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,110 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
And people are still in that queue or joined it like this morning/yesterday and still there. Screw doing that. Also shows how many people there are, the amount of people wanting to pay respects making such a huge queue, the people who've already done so, the people who couldn't careless, the people who are hating her/enjoying she's gone, and others who can't make it. You'd think after a number of days mostly everyone who has gone up there have been done and there's a few left, but nope. Bet there'll be some cut short because they need to start getting the coffin ready for Monday.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I... I don't know. I'm trying to think of what I'd have done if I had been in South Korea during the time Jonghyun had passed away. It was a 3-day public funeral (I imagine in the style of a wake). I'd have loved to have gone to pay respects, despite not personally knowing him, but for the impact he's made on my life. I just... I can't see what the Queen here has quite possibly done on the lives of these people. I get the respect part but like... the dedication to doing just for that reason seems inane. Everyone grieves differently, of course, so I suppose what they're doing here isn't invalid. Just strange to me.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,211 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I... I don't know. I'm trying to think of what I'd have done if I had been in South Korea during the time Jonghyun had passed away. It was a 3-day public funeral (I imagine in the style of a wake). I'd have loved to have gone to pay respects, despite not personally knowing him, but for the impact he's made on my life. I just... I can't see what the Queen here has quite possibly done on the lives of these people. I get the respect part but like... the dedication to doing just for that reason seems inane. Everyone grieves differently, of course, so I suppose what they're doing here isn't invalid. Just strange to me.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I heard the line got up to being a 14 hour wait at one point and that people started going to London just to see the queue (no intention of joining it, just wanting to see it), which to me is even more insane than being in the line for such long wait times in the first place.
I do wonder how it was managed as it drew closer to the time where the coffin couldn't be viewed anymore because of having to move on to the funeral itself. Makes me wonder if anyone was stationed along the line like you see with autograph lines, or if some poor bugger up front got the door shut in their face and then had to pass the message backwards through the line. XD

@ShiraNoMai: I know some people went to see the coffin to pay actual respects, such as a native leader from Canada I believe making the trip there to pay respects, where he said that despite disagreeing with things the monarchy has done which have at times negatively affected his tribe, he viewed it as respecting the leadership even if they didn't agree with everything done with it. Basically like respecting the leader of another tribe even though they're not going to do things the way you do. Then there was David Beckham who I learned today chose to join the public line instead of the one reserved for celebrities and leaders because his grandparents were royalists and would've joined the line, so apparently he went out of respect for them and is why he went in the public line too.
Of course, those cases are unique and also probably very rare compared to the number of regular people in the line who probably didn't have any connection to her beyond the fact they reside in the country where she was Queen.

I don't think the line itself was so crazy to me as just the length of time people were willing to wait in it. Also makes me wonder how different this whole thing would've gone had the Queen passed away in 2020 or early 2021 when Covid was still putting a lot of things in lockdown and such.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I heard the line got up to being a 14 hour wait at one point and that people started going to London just to see the queue (no intention of joining it, just wanting to see it), which to me is even more insane than being in the line for such long wait times in the first place.
I do wonder how it was managed as it drew closer to the time where the coffin couldn't be viewed anymore because of having to move on to the funeral itself. Makes me wonder if anyone was stationed along the line like you see with autograph lines, or if some poor bugger up front got the door shut in their face and then had to pass the message backwards through the line. XD

@ShiraNoMai: I know some people went to see the coffin to pay actual respects, such as a native leader from Canada I believe making the trip there to pay respects, where he said that despite disagreeing with things the monarchy has done which have at times negatively affected his tribe, he viewed it as respecting the leadership even if they didn't agree with everything done with it. Basically like respecting the leader of another tribe even though they're not going to do things the way you do. Then there was David Beckham who I learned today chose to join the public line instead of the one reserved for celebrities and leaders because his grandparents were royalists and would've joined the line, so apparently he went out of respect for them and is why he went in the public line too.
Of course, those cases are unique and also probably very rare compared to the number of regular people in the line who probably didn't have any connection to her beyond the fact they reside in the country where she was Queen.

I don't think the line itself was so crazy to me as just the length of time people were willing to wait in it. Also makes me wonder how different this whole thing would've gone had the Queen passed away in 2020 or early 2021 when Covid was still putting a lot of things in lockdown and such.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
(Sep 21st, 2022, 11:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yo wow, I hadn't actually thought about that. That would've been wild, honestly, and I imagine it'd cause SO much controversy.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
(Sep 21st, 2022, 11:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yo wow, I hadn't actually thought about that. That would've been wild, honestly, and I imagine it'd cause SO much controversy.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ugh, really, people went to LOOK at the line and only that? One of the biggest wasting of time I've ever heard. XD

Ahh yes when funerals were restricted to a certain number, although I think the limit was relaxed somewhat later compared to other events, but still, as big as the Queen's funeral it probably would need more than what Philip's was.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ugh, really, people went to LOOK at the line and only that? One of the biggest wasting of time I've ever heard. XD

Ahh yes when funerals were restricted to a certain number, although I think the limit was relaxed somewhat later compared to other events, but still, as big as the Queen's funeral it probably would need more than what Philip's was.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh, right, was Phillip's one restricted? Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh, right, was Phillip's one restricted? Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, the funeral was limited to 30 guests, they had to wear masks and not sing, plus the main thing I remember is the Queen sat alone during the service. The rest attended doing outside stuff like walking behind the coffin or whatever. I didn't watch myself, so don't know all the details.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, the funeral was limited to 30 guests, they had to wear masks and not sing, plus the main thing I remember is the Queen sat alone during the service. The rest attended doing outside stuff like walking behind the coffin or whatever. I didn't watch myself, so don't know all the details.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I somewhat doubt a line would've formed for Philip had he passed outside of Covid lockdowns since I don't know any time that has happened for a royal family member, except maybe for Diana.

Question for the Americans; has a notable line ever formed for the viewing of a coffin of a former president who has passed away? Or has it always just been the expected crowd gatherings when the funeral procession passes through the streets?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I somewhat doubt a line would've formed for Philip had he passed outside of Covid lockdowns since I don't know any time that has happened for a royal family member, except maybe for Diana.

Question for the Americans; has a notable line ever formed for the viewing of a coffin of a former president who has passed away? Or has it always just been the expected crowd gatherings when the funeral procession passes through the streets?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Nah. I don't think they've ever made those public, now that I think about it? Hmm They're usually private affairs. Also, no one cares that much about a president to do that to. Even Kennedy, a well-beloved president, didn't have a big to-do either. He did have temporary public grave, though, for people to visit and pay respects at for a few years, before being moved to a permanent grave (he was in ashes, fwiw).
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Nah. I don't think they've ever made those public, now that I think about it? Hmm They're usually private affairs. Also, no one cares that much about a president to do that to. Even Kennedy, a well-beloved president, didn't have a big to-do either. He did have temporary public grave, though, for people to visit and pay respects at for a few years, before being moved to a permanent grave (he was in ashes, fwiw).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 25th, 2022, 05:22 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jul 7th, 2022, 04:35 PM)Karo Wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh creator Kazuki Takahashi has passed away at age 60 from what seem to be a diving accident. Sad

I was a fan of the original anime and the card game it sad to see that this happened. Sad He apparently was still involved with supervising the series.
It seems the cause of his death has officially been determined to be drowning. Shark bites were found on his body also, but they occurred after his death and thus did not contribute in any form to his cause of passing: Okinawa Times
Another update on this passing, an investigation has found that Kazuki Takahashi drowned due to saving someone else from a riptide current:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 25th, 2022, 05:22 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jul 7th, 2022, 04:35 PM)Karo Wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh creator Kazuki Takahashi has passed away at age 60 from what seem to be a diving accident. Sad

I was a fan of the original anime and the card game it sad to see that this happened. Sad He apparently was still involved with supervising the series.
It seems the cause of his death has officially been determined to be drowning. Shark bites were found on his body also, but they occurred after his death and thus did not contribute in any form to his cause of passing: Okinawa Times
Another update on this passing, an investigation has found that Kazuki Takahashi drowned due to saving someone else from a riptide current:
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Cry

What a Chad. All the respect for the man.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Cry

What a Chad. All the respect for the man.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest "Notable" Purchase Moonface 59 7,303 Apr 15th, 2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Moonface