Yoshi (Series)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
[Image: 300px-Yoshi_logo.png]

With the recent announcement of Yoshi's Crafted World coming out on March 29th and a new story trailer for it, I figured now is a good a time as any to make a thread for everything about the Yoshi series of games! Grin

I know we have a few Yoshi fans here, so what is your (least) favourite game in the series, and how excited are you for Crafted World? Smile

[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
[Image: 300px-Yoshi_logo.png]

With the recent announcement of Yoshi's Crafted World coming out on March 29th and a new story trailer for it, I figured now is a good a time as any to make a thread for everything about the Yoshi series of games! Grin

I know we have a few Yoshi fans here, so what is your (least) favourite game in the series, and how excited are you for Crafted World? Smile

queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I don't consider myself a Yoshi fan, but I do enjoy the Yoshi titles. I'd say my least favorite Yoshi title, was Yoshi's Woolly World. I tried to play it & got pretty far in the game, but it just wasn't that great impo. It just felt rushed. I'm hoping there's more polish to Crafted World when it's released. I might wait to see what reviews for it are before I consider getting it.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I don't consider myself a Yoshi fan, but I do enjoy the Yoshi titles. I'd say my least favorite Yoshi title, was Yoshi's Woolly World. I tried to play it & got pretty far in the game, but it just wasn't that great impo. It just felt rushed. I'm hoping there's more polish to Crafted World when it's released. I might wait to see what reviews for it are before I consider getting it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I found Woolly World to be OK, but it's the only one I've really played a lot of so I don't really have anything to compare it with. If you felt it was rushed I'd be surprised if Crafted feels the same, only because the game was delayed so in theory it should be getting the time it needs.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I found Woolly World to be OK, but it's the only one I've really played a lot of so I don't really have anything to compare it with. If you felt it was rushed I'd be surprised if Crafted feels the same, only because the game was delayed so in theory it should be getting the time it needs.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm hoping that Crafted World is a bit better. At least it looks a lot better, gameplay wise. I also feel like it reminds me a bit of LBP in spots mixed with bits of Paper Mario & the areas of the 3DS where they added paper craft stuff.

Still, I'll wait for the game to release & read a review or two before diving in this time around. But, having played the past Yoshi titles, I'd have to say that my favorite so far would be Yoshi's New Island for the 3DS. But even with there being no baby mechanic in the WiiIU/Switch titles, I feel that it's lacking having them. Cause with that mechanic in; I feel like the game is a bit harder. Otherwise it's kind of a walk in the park, without it impo.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm hoping that Crafted World is a bit better. At least it looks a lot better, gameplay wise. I also feel like it reminds me a bit of LBP in spots mixed with bits of Paper Mario & the areas of the 3DS where they added paper craft stuff.

Still, I'll wait for the game to release & read a review or two before diving in this time around. But, having played the past Yoshi titles, I'd have to say that my favorite so far would be Yoshi's New Island for the 3DS. But even with there being no baby mechanic in the WiiIU/Switch titles, I feel that it's lacking having them. Cause with that mechanic in; I feel like the game is a bit harder. Otherwise it's kind of a walk in the park, without it impo.
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342
WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
I haven't played any recent Yoshi titles, but I looove Yoshi's Island for the SNES Tongue
[Image: ldgamalthea.png]
Amalthea Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES, PS1, PS2
XP: 2,342 WipEout Minecraft Resident Evil 
I haven't played any recent Yoshi titles, but I looove Yoshi's Island for the SNES Tongue
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Only played Super Mario Bros. Advance 3: Yoshi's Island for GBA, and Yoshi's New Island for (3?)DS, but haven't completed the latter. Can't really say I have a least favourite because of that, but the first based on the original was an excellent game. Was interested in Yoshi's Story for Virtual Console, but never got it. Woolly World looks like a fun game. Crafted World looks like another one too. Somewhat interested in this one. :3
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Only played Super Mario Bros. Advance 3: Yoshi's Island for GBA, and Yoshi's New Island for (3?)DS, but haven't completed the latter. Can't really say I have a least favourite because of that, but the first based on the original was an excellent game. Was interested in Yoshi's Story for Virtual Console, but never got it. Woolly World looks like a fun game. Crafted World looks like another one too. Somewhat interested in this one. :3
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jan 19th, 2019, 04:44 AM)Amalthea Wrote:

Ah, a person of culture! Island for the SNES is the penultimate for the series as a whole. I'm unsure if Nintendo could ever hope to top that, considering it was already a marvel for its time in terms of graphics and innovation. They'd have to pull something off on a Breath of the Wild scale to be able to pull the series out from where it is now. Not that it's in a particularly bad place; it has just vastly strayed from the original formula in favor of the cutesy exploration-paced take on the series.

I really appreciated what they did with Woolly, I might add. A lot of Island attributes, like Extra levels, unique and clever level design for puzzle-solving on collectibles. Even the music was calling back to some semblance of fun and creativity (Island DS and especially Island 3DS had particularly uninspired and bad soundtracks and audio design).

As for the newest entry, Crafted, I called it being a Yoshi's Story-inspired title from the moment they showcased it at E3 2017: The slower-paced movement, the deliberate 2.5D pathfinding, and now with the latest trailer, the plot is plucked straight from Story! Not that that's a bad thing, I just find it interesting they chose to do an Island approach with Woolly and now a Story approach with Crafted.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jan 19th, 2019, 04:44 AM)Amalthea Wrote:

Ah, a person of culture! Island for the SNES is the penultimate for the series as a whole. I'm unsure if Nintendo could ever hope to top that, considering it was already a marvel for its time in terms of graphics and innovation. They'd have to pull something off on a Breath of the Wild scale to be able to pull the series out from where it is now. Not that it's in a particularly bad place; it has just vastly strayed from the original formula in favor of the cutesy exploration-paced take on the series.

I really appreciated what they did with Woolly, I might add. A lot of Island attributes, like Extra levels, unique and clever level design for puzzle-solving on collectibles. Even the music was calling back to some semblance of fun and creativity (Island DS and especially Island 3DS had particularly uninspired and bad soundtracks and audio design).

As for the newest entry, Crafted, I called it being a Yoshi's Story-inspired title from the moment they showcased it at E3 2017: The slower-paced movement, the deliberate 2.5D pathfinding, and now with the latest trailer, the plot is plucked straight from Story! Not that that's a bad thing, I just find it interesting they chose to do an Island approach with Woolly and now a Story approach with Crafted.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yoshi's Crafted World Demo Available Now
A demo is now available to download from the Nintendo eShop for Yoshi's Crafted World, as announced in a recent Nintendo Direct.

Have you tried the demo yet? What are your thoughts? Smile

I haven't played it personally, but I did watch Shira play it (because of course she's played it) and the game looks good. There didn't seem to be much implementation of the stage flipping feature, which for something that's a new feature, I expected it to have been given a little more focus for the demo.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yoshi's Crafted World Demo Available Now
A demo is now available to download from the Nintendo eShop for Yoshi's Crafted World, as announced in a recent Nintendo Direct.

Have you tried the demo yet? What are your thoughts? Smile

I haven't played it personally, but I did watch Shira play it (because of course she's played it) and the game looks good. There didn't seem to be much implementation of the stage flipping feature, which for something that's a new feature, I expected it to have been given a little more focus for the demo.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Had to watch the Direct gameplay trailer again to see what was in there. I suppose they weren't show too much in the demo level, I assume is the first level of the game. I take it the was only one level, as I didn't complete it fully, nor hunt for 5 cows. Flipping perspectives upside down, around to the background side seems reliant to switches/a specific winged cloud (does that have a name/term?), so the only one I found was the end of the level flip for chasing the pups to the old start point. Would've been better to see a bit more of the features in a later level. Still, was fun and so cute.  =3

Did you guys watch all the way around the title screen?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Had to watch the Direct gameplay trailer again to see what was in there. I suppose they weren't show too much in the demo level, I assume is the first level of the game. I take it the was only one level, as I didn't complete it fully, nor hunt for 5 cows. Flipping perspectives upside down, around to the background side seems reliant to switches/a specific winged cloud (does that have a name/term?), so the only one I found was the end of the level flip for chasing the pups to the old start point. Would've been better to see a bit more of the features in a later level. Still, was fun and so cute.  =3

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 24th, 2019, 12:44 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't think so. What happens?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Been catching Trihex apply some speedrun tech to the demo, and man, the game certainly has potential on that end of the spectrum. In the short time people have had with the demo, they've already discovered a couple of "unintentionals" with the mechanics, such as eggs being shot directly below you in quick succession adds lots of height to Yoshi. You can see his full demo-run below:

In terms of the flipping mechanic, I'm sure with it being just a one-level demo, it's hard to really grasp how often you get to flip sides during levels. I personally really enjoyed the flip-side after you've made it through the goal the first time. It's like experiencing the level all over again, but... reversed! Gasp
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Been catching Trihex apply some speedrun tech to the demo, and man, the game certainly has potential on that end of the spectrum. In the short time people have had with the demo, they've already discovered a couple of "unintentionals" with the mechanics, such as eggs being shot directly below you in quick succession adds lots of height to Yoshi. You can see his full demo-run below:

In terms of the flipping mechanic, I'm sure with it being just a one-level demo, it's hard to really grasp how often you get to flip sides during levels. I personally really enjoyed the flip-side after you've made it through the goal the first time. It's like experiencing the level all over again, but... reversed! Gasp
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I played the demo & enjoyed it very much. I think the whole flipping the level 'thing' is really neat. I've yet to find all 5 cows, I have found at least 2. Tongue I plan to get it now cause of how much I enjoyed the demo.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
I played the demo & enjoyed it very much. I think the whole flipping the level 'thing' is really neat. I've yet to find all 5 cows, I have found at least 2. Tongue I plan to get it now cause of how much I enjoyed the demo.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Feb 25th, 2019, 03:48 AM)Moonface Wrote:
You might have by, but what? That's like one of the first things I do when I open a Yoshi game (even though I've only now played three). If you didn't, there's more things happening behind the house that you can't see from the front.

@Shira: Ah, sweet Trihex done a speedrun of it already? Well, I suppose to be expected of him. I take it one instance of that unintentional tech was when Yoshi jumped over the first Piranha Plant where he at first had three eggs, but has two afterwards? The speedrun did look impressive.

Same here, Queen. Maybe not straight away, but will be high on my list of game interested in now.  =3 Need to try that find the Cows trial, didn't do that yet.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Feb 25th, 2019, 03:48 AM)Moonface Wrote:
You might have by, but what? That's like one of the first things I do when I open a Yoshi game (even though I've only now played three). If you didn't, there's more things happening behind the house that you can't see from the front.

@Shira: Ah, sweet Trihex done a speedrun of it already? Well, I suppose to be expected of him. I take it one instance of that unintentional tech was when Yoshi jumped over the first Piranha Plant where he at first had three eggs, but has two afterwards? The speedrun did look impressive.

Same here, Queen. Maybe not straight away, but will be high on my list of game interested in now.  =3 Need to try that find the Cows trial, didn't do that yet.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh, was confused by what you meant there. Yeah he shoots an egg upward to hit a flower that's off screen, so he goes from three to two, then. Very brief moment but I can see how you think it just suddenly despawned or something XD

I wanna re-visit the level again (cuz I didn't get the time-trial Flower for the flip side since it doesn't exactly tell you the time in advance to know how quick you need to do the level) but I think I might just wait for the full version. Don't want to become too accustomed to the game before it releases!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Oh, was confused by what you meant there. Yeah he shoots an egg upward to hit a flower that's off screen, so he goes from three to two, then. Very brief moment but I can see how you think it just suddenly despawned or something XD

I wanna re-visit the level again (cuz I didn't get the time-trial Flower for the flip side since it doesn't exactly tell you the time in advance to know how quick you need to do the level) but I think I might just wait for the full version. Don't want to become too accustomed to the game before it releases!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, I saw the egg throw and wondered how Yoshi was able to jump over the plant at the same time, when the game obviously wants you to take the path above or smack it with an egg, and swear Yoshi couldn't jump that high in the first place.

I immediately repeated the flip side version of the level to get that Flower, since I didn't achieve it the first time either.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, I saw the egg throw and wondered how Yoshi was able to jump over the plant at the same time, when the game obviously wants you to take the path above or smack it with an egg, and swear Yoshi couldn't jump that high in the first place.

I immediately repeated the flip side version of the level to get that Flower, since I didn't achieve it the first time either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon's Dogma (Series) Moonface 114 11,944 10 hours ago
Last Post: Moonface
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 99 26,001 Mar 18th, 2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: queenzelda
  Paper Mario (Series) | TTYD Remaster Announced Moonface 22 8,456 Mar 12th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Persona (Series) | P3R Episode Aigis – The Answer Revealed Moonface 19 1,271 Mar 9th, 2024, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  NieR (Series) | NieR 3 Teased? Moonface 43 12,849 Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Moonface