PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Double posting here just to say that the PS5 is fucking HUGE. Like, I heard that it was bigger than the PS4, but god damn man.

I was very surprised by just how big the PS5 is when I took it out of the box. I can see why some people complain about finding room for this baby on their entertainment stands/desks, haha.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Double posting here just to say that the PS5 is fucking HUGE. Like, I heard that it was bigger than the PS4, but god damn man.

I was very surprised by just how big the PS5 is when I took it out of the box. I can see why some people complain about finding room for this baby on their entertainment stands/desks, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, it's insane how big it is. Comparing its size to a PS4 reminds me of comparing an original PS2 to its slim counterpart. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, it's insane how big it is. Comparing its size to a PS4 reminds me of comparing an original PS2 to its slim counterpart. XD
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, it's understandable, because obviously the more components they put into the system, the bigger it's going to be. It's just kind of funny seeing how gigantic it is compared to my PS3 or PS4. Or any system I've ever had prior to this.

It'll be interesting to see how much they can slim it down by if they release a Slim/Pro version of it some day, though I have to wonder how much that would effect game performance if they have to go with some cheaper components/leave some out to reduce the size of the system.

Though I will say I am pleasantly surprised by how overall quiet the PS5 is. With its size, you'd think it'd be louder than the jet engine that is the PS4, but other than what I first turn it on, I don't really hear it making any noise at all. It's very nice after years of my PS4 sounding like a jet about to take off.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, it's understandable, because obviously the more components they put into the system, the bigger it's going to be. It's just kind of funny seeing how gigantic it is compared to my PS3 or PS4. Or any system I've ever had prior to this.

It'll be interesting to see how much they can slim it down by if they release a Slim/Pro version of it some day, though I have to wonder how much that would effect game performance if they have to go with some cheaper components/leave some out to reduce the size of the system.

Though I will say I am pleasantly surprised by how overall quiet the PS5 is. With its size, you'd think it'd be louder than the jet engine that is the PS4, but other than what I first turn it on, I don't really hear it making any noise at all. It's very nice after years of my PS4 sounding like a jet about to take off.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I expect the size is in part for cooling the system by giving more space for either fans or just between different components so they don't start turning the console into a competitor to the KFC console. Tongue

How heavy is the system by the way? That's one of the few things I've not had a chance to check out first hand or even actually heard anything about.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I expect the size is in part for cooling the system by giving more space for either fans or just between different components so they don't start turning the console into a competitor to the KFC console. Tongue

How heavy is the system by the way? That's one of the few things I've not had a chance to check out first hand or even actually heard anything about.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, how much ventilation the system has is one of the first things I noticed about it. They definitely wanted to make sure this thing stayed cool, which is great.

As for how heavy it is, it certainly has some weight to it. I couldn't give you an estimate on how many pounds I think it is, but she's weighty. Twice as heavy as a PS4, that's for sure.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, how much ventilation the system has is one of the first things I noticed about it. They definitely wanted to make sure this thing stayed cool, which is great.

As for how heavy it is, it certainly has some weight to it. I couldn't give you an estimate on how many pounds I think it is, but she's weighty. Twice as heavy as a PS4, that's for sure.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Dragon Lord: Now that you've spent a little time with it, how would you compare it in terms of usability to a PS4? What would you say is better/worse about things like the dashboard, controller, etc.?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Dragon Lord: Now that you've spent a little time with it, how would you compare it in terms of usability to a PS4? What would you say is better/worse about things like the dashboard, controller, etc.?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looks like Sony might already be starting revisions to the PS5, judging by this new user manual that was found on the PlayStation website: https://manuals.playstation.net/document...-3.0_2.pdf

If you can read Japanese, then you might be able to find the information yourself that the manual contains that confirms the hardware revision. If like me you can't read Japanese, then those who can have stated that the specifications page in the manual lists the PS5 Digital Edition as 300g lighter, or 0.66lbs if you're not a metric user. Everything else is still the same, but if Sony are already changing parts I wonder if they're already working on a new model or if it's just lighter because they're using a different part because Covid is impacting their production. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Looks like Sony might already be starting revisions to the PS5, judging by this new user manual that was found on the PlayStation website: https://manuals.playstation.net/document...-3.0_2.pdf

If you can read Japanese, then you might be able to find the information yourself that the manual contains that confirms the hardware revision. If like me you can't read Japanese, then those who can have stated that the specifications page in the manual lists the PS5 Digital Edition as 300g lighter, or 0.66lbs if you're not a metric user. Everything else is still the same, but if Sony are already changing parts I wonder if they're already working on a new model or if it's just lighter because they're using a different part because Covid is impacting their production. Unsure
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
.....If my PS5 is already out of date I'm going to be very disappointed. XD The PS5 is really huge compared to the PS4 I have mine in the standing up position but this thing is as tall as my tv and my tv really isn't that big. XD
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
.....If my PS5 is already out of date I'm going to be very disappointed. XD The PS5 is really huge compared to the PS4 I have mine in the standing up position but this thing is as tall as my tv and my tv really isn't that big. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well nothing else changed so I don't think current models are going to be out of date, and Sony can't even keep up with demand for the current model so I don't think they would want to increase demand by making a remodel that if history dictates will be cheaper than a current PS5.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well nothing else changed so I don't think current models are going to be out of date, and Sony can't even keep up with demand for the current model so I don't think they would want to increase demand by making a remodel that if history dictates will be cheaper than a current PS5.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
It's official, the system has sold 10 Million units. Making it the fastest selling console to hit that milestone, beating even the PS4 by a month which is crazy because PS4 wasn't supply constrained like PS5 is still. I got mine in February 2014 pretty easily but by March they were widely available in my area and April/May available worldwide.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
It's official, the system has sold 10 Million units. Making it the fastest selling console to hit that milestone, beating even the PS4 by a month which is crazy because PS4 wasn't supply constrained like PS5 is still. I got mine in February 2014 pretty easily but by March they were widely available in my area and April/May available worldwide.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I saw that, and Microsoft reported that their console is also the fastest selling of theirs too. I'm surprised because I feel like everyone still struggles to find either of them and I thought it was due to lack of supply, but I guess it's also just people buying them up super fast so you rarely get to see them.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I saw that, and Microsoft reported that their console is also the fastest selling of theirs too. I'm surprised because I feel like everyone still struggles to find either of them and I thought it was due to lack of supply, but I guess it's also just people buying them up super fast so you rarely get to see them.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jul 28th, 2021, 11:49 PM)Metallix Wrote:

I assume you're referring to getting the PS4 here right? Cuz damn son, copping that PS5 before it even was conceptually a thing Gasp
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

I assume you're referring to getting the PS4 here right? Cuz damn son, copping that PS5 before it even was conceptually a thing Gasp
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Jul 29th, 2021, 12:14 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Haha yes, I meant to point out out that PS4 wasn't supply constrained that long whereas the PS5 still is.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Jul 29th, 2021, 12:14 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Haha yes, I meant to point out out that PS4 wasn't supply constrained that long whereas the PS5 still is.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't notice this detail in the announcement post about Horizon Forbidden West having a free upgrade now when I read it yesterday, but all first party games that release on both PS4 and PS5 will now only cost $10 to upgrade going forward.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't notice this detail in the announcement post about Horizon Forbidden West having a free upgrade now when I read it yesterday, but all first party games that release on both PS4 and PS5 will now only cost $10 to upgrade going forward.
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
They really should've just done that from the beginning as standard. If a company wants to stray and do some extra perks or something for the upgrade, fine, but at the bare minimum this should've been the way to have your releases go.

At least they're not just calling them "remasters" and having you pay for the whole damn thing over again Rolleyes
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
They really should've just done that from the beginning as standard. If a company wants to stray and do some extra perks or something for the upgrade, fine, but at the bare minimum this should've been the way to have your releases go.

At least they're not just calling them "remasters" and having you pay for the whole damn thing over again Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 725 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,272 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 578 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,566 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,795 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM