PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Holy shit I didn't even know the controller software was that far. Although even when I tried doing it when I first got prompted with the update it didn't work, and this is with the controller my PS5 came with since I've not bought a second one yet.

I didn't know wireless was a thing now but I did try that too at one point because it never told me I had to plug it in so was curious if that meant I could do it wireless, but when it didn't work I assumed I had to use a cable, but still no luck.

Do you only use the controller cable that came with the console/controller @Dragon Lord or have you been able to do it with any cable? I've used everything but the cable my console came with but I don't know where I've put it and figured as long as the cable connects it would work.

I think I even tried doing that factory reset thing with the hidden button on the underside of the controller to try and get some progress but even that hasn't worked.

On the bright side my controller doesn't seem to have a problem from not having done this yet but I'm tired of being prompted to do it every 24 hours. Doh
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Holy shit I didn't even know the controller software was that far. Although even when I tried doing it when I first got prompted with the update it didn't work, and this is with the controller my PS5 came with since I've not bought a second one yet.

I didn't know wireless was a thing now but I did try that too at one point because it never told me I had to plug it in so was curious if that meant I could do it wireless, but when it didn't work I assumed I had to use a cable, but still no luck.

Do you only use the controller cable that came with the console/controller @Dragon Lord or have you been able to do it with any cable? I've used everything but the cable my console came with but I don't know where I've put it and figured as long as the cable connects it would work.

I think I even tried doing that factory reset thing with the hidden button on the underside of the controller to try and get some progress but even that hasn't worked.

On the bright side my controller doesn't seem to have a problem from not having done this yet but I'm tired of being prompted to do it every 24 hours. Doh
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I actually haven't updated my controller via the PS5 with a USB cable in forever. Before they added wireless updating, I was doing it on PC with the app they released using any random USB-C cable I grabbed.

You wouldn't need the cable that comes with the controller though. I'm not sure why your controller refuses to update and nothing works to fix it.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,736 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I actually haven't updated my controller via the PS5 with a USB cable in forever. Before they added wireless updating, I was doing it on PC with the app they released using any random USB-C cable I grabbed.

You wouldn't need the cable that comes with the controller though. I'm not sure why your controller refuses to update and nothing works to fix it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah my controller has had other weird interactions with cables before. For example, I have a USB-C cable that is a Nintendo one (has the logo slapped on the end just so you really know) and if I plug that into my DualSense while it's on to charge it, it will continue to act as if nothing is plugged into it. If I want to use that cable to charge my DualSense I have to turn the controller off, plug the cable in, and then turn the controller back on to be able to play with it while it charges. No idea why it does that except for it being sentient while turned on and thus knowing a Nintendo cable is being put into it. Rolleyes

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah my controller has had other weird interactions with cables before. For example, I have a USB-C cable that is a Nintendo one (has the logo slapped on the end just so you really know) and if I plug that into my DualSense while it's on to charge it, it will continue to act as if nothing is plugged into it. If I want to use that cable to charge my DualSense I have to turn the controller off, plug the cable in, and then turn the controller back on to be able to play with it while it charges. No idea why it does that except for it being sentient while turned on and thus knowing a Nintendo cable is being put into it. Rolleyes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I hope that's not a sign that something is wrong with the port on your controller. I'm pretty sure I've used the USB-C cable that came with my Switch for one of my DualSense controllers before and had absolutely zero problems with it.

I just looked it up and it seems like there were indeed other people having issues with not being able to update their DualSense controllers. One user reported that they got it to work by just trying a bunch of different USB-C cables until it eventually worked, so I guess if you have extras around, just grab them all and keep trying? Either way, really weird issue for some people to have and others not to encounter at all. Hope you can get it to work soon.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I hope that's not a sign that something is wrong with the port on your controller. I'm pretty sure I've used the USB-C cable that came with my Switch for one of my DualSense controllers before and had absolutely zero problems with it.

I just looked it up and it seems like there were indeed other people having issues with not being able to update their DualSense controllers. One user reported that they got it to work by just trying a bunch of different USB-C cables until it eventually worked, so I guess if you have extras around, just grab them all and keep trying? Either way, really weird issue for some people to have and others not to encounter at all. Hope you can get it to work soon.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think the port has a problem since it only ignores the Nintendo cable until I turn the controller off. It's so weird though that my controller won't update wirelessly either because if the cable was the issue, that would avoid it. I guess I'll try collecting some different cables laying about the house and try them out tomorrow at some point and see if that gets me anywhere. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't think the port has a problem since it only ignores the Nintendo cable until I turn the controller off. It's so weird though that my controller won't update wirelessly either because if the cable was the issue, that would avoid it. I guess I'll try collecting some different cables laying about the house and try them out tomorrow at some point and see if that gets me anywhere. Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
If that doesn't work in solving your issues, then I have no idea what else you could try. Could be something wrong with your controller itself that is preventing it from updating and at that point the only option you may have is getting a new controller. Though you said the controller is still working despite not updating for you, which is weird because most people reported that their controllers didn't work without updating. The situation with your controller is very odd indeed.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
If that doesn't work in solving your issues, then I have no idea what else you could try. Could be something wrong with your controller itself that is preventing it from updating and at that point the only option you may have is getting a new controller. Though you said the controller is still working despite not updating for you, which is weird because most people reported that their controllers didn't work without updating. The situation with your controller is very odd indeed.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, and on that note do you know if the PS5 will still eventually force an update on the controller if you keep ignoring it? I know it used to do that but it hasn't done that with this controller even when I've ignored the update prompt for over two weeks.

Edit: Apparently there's a difference between a USB-C charging cable and a USB-C data cable. Seems everything I'm using is of the charging variety if that is actually a thing and wouldn't you know I can't find the USB-C cable that came with my PS5. Rolleyes

Edit 2: So I forgot I own a second DualSense controller because I hadn't unboxed my purple one I got for Christmas yet. Tried that out with the same cable I was using for my OG DualSense and it updated without any trouble, so I guess it's the controller. I have no clue if I can do anything about it but the controller works at least so I guess I'll just hope it stays good unless it's still within some sort of warranty to have Sony repair/replace it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, and on that note do you know if the PS5 will still eventually force an update on the controller if you keep ignoring it? I know it used to do that but it hasn't done that with this controller even when I've ignored the update prompt for over two weeks.

Edit: Apparently there's a difference between a USB-C charging cable and a USB-C data cable. Seems everything I'm using is of the charging variety if that is actually a thing and wouldn't you know I can't find the USB-C cable that came with my PS5. Rolleyes

Edit 2: So I forgot I own a second DualSense controller because I hadn't unboxed my purple one I got for Christmas yet. Tried that out with the same cable I was using for my OG DualSense and it updated without any trouble, so I guess it's the controller. I have no clue if I can do anything about it but the controller works at least so I guess I'll just hope it stays good unless it's still within some sort of warranty to have Sony repair/replace it.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Hmm, what an odd issue for the controller to have. Really wonder what could have caused it? At least you have a second controller after all that you can use. If your white one ever does stop working on your PS5, at least you can keep it around as your dedicated PC controller like I do with my white one, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Hmm, what an odd issue for the controller to have. Really wonder what could have caused it? At least you have a second controller after all that you can use. If your white one ever does stop working on your PS5, at least you can keep it around as your dedicated PC controller like I do with my white one, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What I don't get is why using the factory reset button on the back of the controller won't fix it. I assume it's a software problem in the controller that can't be fixed with that, but given it seems to be regular it would be nice if Sony could put something on the PS5 that can repair a DualSense controllers software if perhaps it gets corrupted due to an update going wrong (power outage, etc.). I like to assume the controller will always function though since if the console was never connected to the internet then the controller would never be able to update, and a product failing to continue working because of a lack of an update would probably break some law, especially in the EU. It already happened to Nintendo over their stick drift problems.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What I don't get is why using the factory reset button on the back of the controller won't fix it. I assume it's a software problem in the controller that can't be fixed with that, but given it seems to be regular it would be nice if Sony could put something on the PS5 that can repair a DualSense controllers software if perhaps it gets corrupted due to an update going wrong (power outage, etc.). I like to assume the controller will always function though since if the console was never connected to the internet then the controller would never be able to update, and a product failing to continue working because of a lack of an update would probably break some law, especially in the EU. It already happened to Nintendo over their stick drift problems.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
True, true. I supposed the absolute most you'd miss out on is if they do updates that improve things like the haptic feedback and what not. Nice quality updates to have, but nothing that would make or break the controller's purpose.

I guess you could always just be like me and have 10+ controllers for your console. KEKW
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
True, true. I supposed the absolute most you'd miss out on is if they do updates that improve things like the haptic feedback and what not. Nice quality updates to have, but nothing that would make or break the controller's purpose.

I guess you could always just be like me and have 10+ controllers for your console. KEKW
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Project Q and PlayStation Earbuds | Sneak Peek
During today's PlayStation Showcase, we got a sneak peek at two new accessories that will be available for PlayStation 5:

Project Q is a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 using remote play over Wi-Fi. It has an 8-inch HD screen and all the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation Earbuds will bring next generation audio immersion to PS5 and PC, with lossless audio and low latency. They also simultaneously connect to smartphones via Bluetooth.

More details will be coming soon, and both accessories will be released at some point this year.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Project Q and PlayStation Earbuds | Sneak Peek
During today's PlayStation Showcase, we got a sneak peek at two new accessories that will be available for PlayStation 5:

Project Q is a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 using remote play over Wi-Fi. It has an 8-inch HD screen and all the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation Earbuds will bring next generation audio immersion to PS5 and PC, with lossless audio and low latency. They also simultaneously connect to smartphones via Bluetooth.

More details will be coming soon, and both accessories will be released at some point this year.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah, Project Q looking like the handheld Switch, I know it's not meant to be the console but still, looks uncanny. Anyway, not sure how I'd feel holding a PS5 controller like that with a screen in the middle, could be odd, but could work, but do I want something like that? Eh...probably not?

Earbuds, I already dislike earphones so that's easily not for me.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah, Project Q looking like the handheld Switch, I know it's not meant to be the console but still, looks uncanny. Anyway, not sure how I'd feel holding a PS5 controller like that with a screen in the middle, could be odd, but could work, but do I want something like that? Eh...probably not?

Earbuds, I already dislike earphones so that's easily not for me.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Project Q could be okay to hold since it's really just going to be holding both sides of a DualSense but with your hands further apart. Having held a Steam Deck a wide portable system can be very comfortable when the parts you hold onto are done right.
I think what's going to hurt Project Q though is the restriction to it using Remote Play. According to Sony's website, that feature requires you are connected to your home Wi-Fi for both your console and the device you stream to, which means anything further than your home will render Project Q useless. I don't see many people bothering with it because of that limitation.

As for the earbuds, they look cool design wise but I detest any type of earbud that has that rubber thing that slides into your ear so that would be enough to turn me off regardless of how much the rest of the features would make me want a pair.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Project Q could be okay to hold since it's really just going to be holding both sides of a DualSense but with your hands further apart. Having held a Steam Deck a wide portable system can be very comfortable when the parts you hold onto are done right.
I think what's going to hurt Project Q though is the restriction to it using Remote Play. According to Sony's website, that feature requires you are connected to your home Wi-Fi for both your console and the device you stream to, which means anything further than your home will render Project Q useless. I don't see many people bothering with it because of that limitation.

As for the earbuds, they look cool design wise but I detest any type of earbud that has that rubber thing that slides into your ear so that would be enough to turn me off regardless of how much the rest of the features would make me want a pair.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The thing just doesn't make sense to me. You can only use it in your own house, so the whole portable factor is worthless. I mean I guess if you REALLY want to play some PS5 games while on the toilet?

I imagine the price they are going to want for it is going to be much higher than it should be for a non-mobile handheld that doesn't even have an OLED screen.

The earbuds are a pass for me. I already have the 3D audio wireless headphones for PS5, which I'm sure will sound ten times better than earbuds no matter how clear they claim them to be.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The thing just doesn't make sense to me. You can only use it in your own house, so the whole portable factor is worthless. I mean I guess if you REALLY want to play some PS5 games while on the toilet?

I imagine the price they are going to want for it is going to be much higher than it should be for a non-mobile handheld that doesn't even have an OLED screen.

The earbuds are a pass for me. I already have the 3D audio wireless headphones for PS5, which I'm sure will sound ten times better than earbuds no matter how clear they claim them to be.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 27th, 2023, 05:23 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I'm expecting at least $179 for Project Q. A DualSense is $70, and I would expect the screen and everything else to be at least that or more. I was going to say $200 but I think that's a price even Sony would feel is too much for this.

I also want to know where the touchpad functionality has gone because the pad is entirely absent due to the screen, but it can't just not exist because there are games that use it plus Sony said all of the DualSense features are present. The only place I could see it would be the actual screen itself being touch sensitive but if that's the case that would probably put the price even higher. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 27th, 2023, 05:23 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I'm expecting at least $179 for Project Q. A DualSense is $70, and I would expect the screen and everything else to be at least that or more. I was going to say $200 but I think that's a price even Sony would feel is too much for this.

I also want to know where the touchpad functionality has gone because the pad is entirely absent due to the screen, but it can't just not exist because there are games that use it plus Sony said all of the DualSense features are present. The only place I could see it would be the actual screen itself being touch sensitive but if that's the case that would probably put the price even higher. Errm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 725 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,273 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 578 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,573 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,795 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM