PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Wrote:
A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

I found this good until the end part. Having thousands left to test and only hundreds tested sounds like they either started this process late (why when they knew this was a big request?) or they started this as early as they could in which case how do they suddenly expect to get thousands done within 6 months or so when it has taken them presumably as long as or longer than that to only do a few hundred? Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Wrote:
A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

I found this good until the end part. Having thousands left to test and only hundreds tested sounds like they either started this process late (why when they knew this was a big request?) or they started this as early as they could in which case how do they suddenly expect to get thousands done within 6 months or so when it has taken them presumably as long as or longer than that to only do a few hundred? Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Well, you have to consider the fact that the closer to the PS5 release, the more time they'll have to devote strictly to testing out PS4 games. In the early stages they obviously have to focus more on the PS5 itself, but once that work starts to be completed, they can start focusing more resources/man power on testing PS4 games.

I just see this as them saying that they've done what they could so far, and in the coming months they're going to be able to really push the testing at a faster pace.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Well, you have to consider the fact that the closer to the PS5 release, the more time they'll have to devote strictly to testing out PS4 games. In the early stages they obviously have to focus more on the PS5 itself, but once that work starts to be completed, they can start focusing more resources/man power on testing PS4 games.

I just see this as them saying that they've done what they could so far, and in the coming months they're going to be able to really push the testing at a faster pace.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 21st, 2020, 06:31 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Good point. I guess I was a bit skeptical about their goal because of how they're banking on expandable SSD's being made for the PS5 that don't actually exist yet.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 21st, 2020, 06:31 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Good point. I guess I was a bit skeptical about their goal because of how they're banking on expandable SSD's being made for the PS5 that don't actually exist yet.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
PS5 controller got revealed and dear lord is it ugly.

Here's a picture of it.

It'll be called the Dual Sense, instead of the DualShock 5.

I don't know why Sony felt the need to try and make the controller resemble an ugly and bulky Xbox controller so much, but it's a huge negative. Gotta hope that DS4s work on the PS5 now, so that when/if I get a PS5 I'll be saved from having to use that atrocious thing.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
PS5 controller got revealed and dear lord is it ugly.

Here's a picture of it.

It'll be called the Dual Sense, instead of the DualShock 5.

I don't know why Sony felt the need to try and make the controller resemble an ugly and bulky Xbox controller so much, but it's a huge negative. Gotta hope that DS4s work on the PS5 now, so that when/if I get a PS5 I'll be saved from having to use that atrocious thing.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's the blog post detailing the controller's features: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/...station-5/

It's definitely an interesting design, and it reminds me of a toned down version of the original PS3 controller concept. As long as it feels nice to hold, I don't mind too much about how it looks. The dual colours might lead to some interesting options down the line, but I wonder if the PS5 itself is going to be dual coloured too.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's the blog post detailing the controller's features: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/...station-5/

It's definitely an interesting design, and it reminds me of a toned down version of the original PS3 controller concept. As long as it feels nice to hold, I don't mind too much about how it looks. The dual colours might lead to some interesting options down the line, but I wonder if the PS5 itself is going to be dual coloured too.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The dual color design is probably one of my biggest problems with it. Maybe other colors would look okay, but that white/black is ugly. It wouldn't be so bad if the buttons were black and the analog sticks were white, but having white buttons on white just looks awful. Especially since the shape symbols on them aren't colored.

The Dualshock 4 is the perfect size to fit in big hands while also not being overly weighty. Xbox controllers are always too bulky and just feel bad to hold for any extended length of time, and seeing them go with a more bulky design like the Xbox controller is just... eh.

Maybe the final product will be slimmed down a tiny bit, but as of right now this controller would be a hard pass. The only positive on this is that they kept the analog sticks next to each other instead of doing what Xbox and the Switch Pro Controller do and have them separated (something I've always hated with those controllers -- the only reason I can accept the Switch Pro controller is because the only thing worse than it is using the joycons when in docked mode).
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The dual color design is probably one of my biggest problems with it. Maybe other colors would look okay, but that white/black is ugly. It wouldn't be so bad if the buttons were black and the analog sticks were white, but having white buttons on white just looks awful. Especially since the shape symbols on them aren't colored.

The Dualshock 4 is the perfect size to fit in big hands while also not being overly weighty. Xbox controllers are always too bulky and just feel bad to hold for any extended length of time, and seeing them go with a more bulky design like the Xbox controller is just... eh.

Maybe the final product will be slimmed down a tiny bit, but as of right now this controller would be a hard pass. The only positive on this is that they kept the analog sticks next to each other instead of doing what Xbox and the Switch Pro Controller do and have them separated (something I've always hated with those controllers -- the only reason I can accept the Switch Pro controller is because the only thing worse than it is using the joycons when in docked mode).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt the design is going to change, considering we knew most of the details of what the controller could do before this and so the main takeaway here is the actual physical design and appearance of it. I just hope the battery is better and not just improved to maintain the battery life of a PS4 controller but with double the light bars.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I doubt the design is going to change, considering we knew most of the details of what the controller could do before this and so the main takeaway here is the actual physical design and appearance of it. I just hope the battery is better and not just improved to maintain the battery life of a PS4 controller but with double the light bars.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I know I need the controller in my hands to fully tell what I think of it, but right now edging towards negative for me. Not a fan of changing the shape a bit too much compared to DS3 and DS4, there was a good transition between using those. Do not want more immersion in the controller, I barely use the old Rumble feature, I hope that can be turned off. Not colouring the right buttons, and that dual colour is a no-no for me. OK maybe I can live with the symbol buttons, but I will need one colour or a different combination. I know DS4 has dual colour but that was set out better. Hope it turns out OK at least though.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I know I need the controller in my hands to fully tell what I think of it, but right now edging towards negative for me. Not a fan of changing the shape a bit too much compared to DS3 and DS4, there was a good transition between using those. Do not want more immersion in the controller, I barely use the old Rumble feature, I hope that can be turned off. Not colouring the right buttons, and that dual colour is a no-no for me. OK maybe I can live with the symbol buttons, but I will need one colour or a different combination. I know DS4 has dual colour but that was set out better. Hope it turns out OK at least though.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Someone on Twitter made a good mock-up of an all-black version of the controller:

Definitely prefer that and would buy one if Sony made it an option down the line.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Someone on Twitter made a good mock-up of an all-black version of the controller:

Definitely prefer that and would buy one if Sony made it an option down the line.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
The white and blue reminds me of an Apple product or maybe an amazon dot.

THe color choice isn't really good, but as shown in the mock up the design is fine its just the color choices.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
The white and blue reminds me of an Apple product or maybe an amazon dot.

THe color choice isn't really good, but as shown in the mock up the design is fine its just the color choices.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Games Showcase on June 4
Sony has announced that there will be a PlayStation 5 showcase on June 4 at 1pm PT, focusing on games coming to the system. It is expected to last for roughly an hour.

Jim Ryan has also said that no games being developed for PS5 by first party studios will be on PS4, with the intent to be moving forward to the fullest potential. Also, as of July 13, any games that are submitted for certification on PS4 must run on PS5 also or will not be accepted.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Games Showcase on June 4
Sony has announced that there will be a PlayStation 5 showcase on June 4 at 1pm PT, focusing on games coming to the system. It is expected to last for roughly an hour.

Jim Ryan has also said that no games being developed for PS5 by first party studios will be on PS4, with the intent to be moving forward to the fullest potential. Also, as of July 13, any games that are submitted for certification on PS4 must run on PS5 also or will not be accepted.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Games Showcase Delayed
Sony has announced that the planned PlayStation 5 games showcase scheduled for June 4 has been delayed due to the recent protests:

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Games Showcase Delayed
Sony has announced that the planned PlayStation 5 games showcase scheduled for June 4 has been delayed due to the recent protests:
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm glad at least one company is actually owning up to what they said in their "#blm" statements. Good move on their part. I do believe that Thursday happens to be the planned funeral date for George Floyd, so this is perhaps in line with that.

Hope to see this conference in the near future!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I'm glad at least one company is actually owning up to what they said in their "#blm" statements. Good move on their part. I do believe that Thursday happens to be the planned funeral date for George Floyd, so this is perhaps in line with that.

Hope to see this conference in the near future!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Aaaaand the near future is here! 

That's this Thursday, June 11, at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 9PM BST.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Aaaaand the near future is here! 

That's this Thursday, June 11, at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 9PM BST.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm hoping for some sequel reveals in Horizon and Spider-Man, and expecting at least one remaster in here. Other than that I just want to see what the rest has in store.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'm hoping for some sequel reveals in Horizon and Spider-Man, and expecting at least one remaster in here. Other than that I just want to see what the rest has in store.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 688 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,028 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 551 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,515 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,737 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM