PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If I hadn't downloaded it by mistake at PAX I likely wouldn't know about it or have the app either. The only reason I really kept it was because it could receive captures from your consoles so you don't have to upload or transfer them directly from the console. I wish Sony would add more sharing options besides just Twitter. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,675 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If I hadn't downloaded it by mistake at PAX I likely wouldn't know about it or have the app either. The only reason I really kept it was because it could receive captures from your consoles so you don't have to upload or transfer them directly from the console. I wish Sony would add more sharing options besides just Twitter. Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Hmm, I might have to consider downloading it after all then, because I do like to share screenshots with some friends, but it's annoying to have to go into the settings on the console and upload them to Twitter there. Might actually be nice to just take the screenshot and open up an app on my phone and share it right away .
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Hmm, I might have to consider downloading it after all then, because I do like to share screenshots with some friends, but it's annoying to have to go into the settings on the console and upload them to Twitter there. Might actually be nice to just take the screenshot and open up an app on my phone and share it right away .
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, the app is supposed to give access to all your photo and video captures, but despite me having all the settings enabled for it, nothing has shown up on it once for me. The workaround would be to upload it to Twitter, save it on there, and then delete the post, but that's a pain. Eh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, the app is supposed to give access to all your photo and video captures, but despite me having all the settings enabled for it, nothing has shown up on it once for me. The workaround would be to upload it to Twitter, save it on there, and then delete the post, but that's a pain. Eh
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 23rd, 2022, 07:32 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Does anyone else here use the PS App with their PS5 at all? I have it from when I went to PAX and wanted to use it to have my captures on my phone but no matter what I've done nothing will be transferred by my PS5. I was curious if anyone else can't get it to work either. Hmm
So I figured out the problem. Captures are only uploaded at the moment of creation, so if you have captures from before you enabled uploading to the PS App there doesn't seem to be a way to re-upload them. The same is likely the case with re-uploading a capture that has expired in the PS App, since they only stay in there for 14 days. Sony should really allow captures to be re-uploaded. Eh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 23rd, 2022, 07:32 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Does anyone else here use the PS App with their PS5 at all? I have it from when I went to PAX and wanted to use it to have my captures on my phone but no matter what I've done nothing will be transferred by my PS5. I was curious if anyone else can't get it to work either. Hmm
So I figured out the problem. Captures are only uploaded at the moment of creation, so if you have captures from before you enabled uploading to the PS App there doesn't seem to be a way to re-upload them. The same is likely the case with re-uploading a capture that has expired in the PS App, since they only stay in there for 14 days. Sony should really allow captures to be re-uploaded. Eh
Smokey Offline
Dreamcast Fanboy
Currently Playing
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition
Favourite Platform(s)
Sega Dreamcast, Xbox Series X
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 2,160
(Apr 24th, 2022, 01:16 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Apr 23rd, 2022, 12:35 AM)Smokey Wrote:
Still can't find one of these anywhere lol.
Honestly I think your best chance is to try getting an invite from Sony to get one. That's how myself and @Dragon Lord got ours and it doesn't rely on you having to constantly keep an eye on when places like Target just suddenly get stock and open up orders without warning.

I'm late to this, but I was able to get one from Sony Direct :-)  I then managed to get one for my nephew, a month later, through Best Buy's total tech :-)
Smokey Offline
Dreamcast Fanboy
Currently Playing
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition
Favourite Platform(s)
Sega Dreamcast, Xbox Series X
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 2,160
(Apr 24th, 2022, 01:16 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Apr 23rd, 2022, 12:35 AM)Smokey Wrote:
Still can't find one of these anywhere lol.
Honestly I think your best chance is to try getting an invite from Sony to get one. That's how myself and @Dragon Lord got ours and it doesn't rely on you having to constantly keep an eye on when places like Target just suddenly get stock and open up orders without warning.

I'm late to this, but I was able to get one from Sony Direct :-)  I then managed to get one for my nephew, a month later, through Best Buy's total tech :-)
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Smokey: Neat! What games did you get with it? Smile

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Smokey: Neat! What games did you get with it? Smile
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
DualSense Edge Controller Revealed
During Gamescom Opening Night Live, the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PlayStation 5 was unveiled; the first-ever high-performance, ultra-customizable controller developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Designed to give you an edge in gameplay by allowing you to create custom controls, the DualSense Edge wireless controller invites you to craft your own unique gaming experience tailored to your playstyle.

The DualSense Edge wireless controller features a number of hardware and software-based customization options for creating a completely personalized controller experience, including:
  • Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

• Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

• On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

• Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

• Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

• Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.
In addition to the included stick caps and back button sets, the DualSense Edge wireless controller comes with a USB Type-C braided cable, which uses a connector housing to lock into the controller so it’s much less likely to slip out at a crucial moment. The included carrying case, which keeps your DualSense Edge wireless controller and components together and organized in one place, allows you to charge the controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the case.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
DualSense Edge Controller Revealed
During Gamescom Opening Night Live, the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PlayStation 5 was unveiled; the first-ever high-performance, ultra-customizable controller developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Designed to give you an edge in gameplay by allowing you to create custom controls, the DualSense Edge wireless controller invites you to craft your own unique gaming experience tailored to your playstyle.

The DualSense Edge wireless controller features a number of hardware and software-based customization options for creating a completely personalized controller experience, including:
  • Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

• Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

• On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

• Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

• Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

• Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.
In addition to the included stick caps and back button sets, the DualSense Edge wireless controller comes with a USB Type-C braided cable, which uses a connector housing to lock into the controller so it’s much less likely to slip out at a crucial moment. The included carrying case, which keeps your DualSense Edge wireless controller and components together and organized in one place, allows you to charge the controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the case.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Guess it's not bad, well obviously not, but I'm mostly "meh" about it other than the replaceable stick and changeable cap/back buttons although I probably wouldn't change anything, unless I find something to be better than the other if I bother to try different ones. Not sure if I'll get one, maybe.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Guess it's not bad, well obviously not, but I'm mostly "meh" about it other than the replaceable stick and changeable cap/back buttons although I probably wouldn't change anything, unless I find something to be better than the other if I bother to try different ones. Not sure if I'll get one, maybe.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I doubt I'll ever get one of them since I expect the price to be double of a regular DualSense with a ton of features I don't have enough use for to pay for. Seems more tailored to competitive players and such. I mostly like it because of the extra areas of black and the PS symbol patterns on some areas.

Also EL, probably a good thing you grabbed your PS5 when you did since Sony announced a price increase in multiple markets today: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/25/...ion-rates/
Sony said it was a 20% increase in all affected regions, but I don't really know how to accurately calculate that since such an increase is going to depend on the currency, rather than just a straight up 20% increase, as you can see by comparing some of the old and new prices:
  • EU - €499 > €549 (Physical) / €399 > €449 (Digital)
  • UK - £449 > £479 / £359 > £389
  • Canada - $629 > $649 / $499 > $519
  • Australia - $749 > $799 / $599 > $649
  • Japan - ¥49,980 > ¥60,478 / ¥39,980 > ¥49,478
The UK only went up by £30 so that's not terrible; same for Canada's $20 increase. Australia and EU got quite painful increases of 50 in their respective currencies. Not that this is probably a great comparison, but to try and put them all on an even playing field, this is the increases converted to US dollars:
  • EU - $49.85 USD increase
  • UK - $35.50
  • Canada - $15.46
  • Australia - $34.89
  • Japan - $74 (approximation because both versions got a different increase)
Japan got hit very hard when you view the increases through USD's, but again, I don't know how accurate or fair of a comparison this makes between them all since conversion rates don't necessarily reflect the value of a currency within its own environment. Like the UK increase ends up almost matching the Australian one, and the EU and Australia end up completely different in USD. Canada clearly got the best deal out of all of this though no matter what way you view the data. XD

It's probably too late in the life cycle of the Switch for Nintendo to follow suit at all, but I wonder if Microsoft will do anything like this for the Series S|X or leave the prices alone. Hmm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I doubt I'll ever get one of them since I expect the price to be double of a regular DualSense with a ton of features I don't have enough use for to pay for. Seems more tailored to competitive players and such. I mostly like it because of the extra areas of black and the PS symbol patterns on some areas.

Also EL, probably a good thing you grabbed your PS5 when you did since Sony announced a price increase in multiple markets today: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/25/...ion-rates/
Sony said it was a 20% increase in all affected regions, but I don't really know how to accurately calculate that since such an increase is going to depend on the currency, rather than just a straight up 20% increase, as you can see by comparing some of the old and new prices:
  • EU - €499 > €549 (Physical) / €399 > €449 (Digital)
  • UK - £449 > £479 / £359 > £389
  • Canada - $629 > $649 / $499 > $519
  • Australia - $749 > $799 / $599 > $649
  • Japan - ¥49,980 > ¥60,478 / ¥39,980 > ¥49,478
The UK only went up by £30 so that's not terrible; same for Canada's $20 increase. Australia and EU got quite painful increases of 50 in their respective currencies. Not that this is probably a great comparison, but to try and put them all on an even playing field, this is the increases converted to US dollars:
  • EU - $49.85 USD increase
  • UK - $35.50
  • Canada - $15.46
  • Australia - $34.89
  • Japan - $74 (approximation because both versions got a different increase)
Japan got hit very hard when you view the increases through USD's, but again, I don't know how accurate or fair of a comparison this makes between them all since conversion rates don't necessarily reflect the value of a currency within its own environment. Like the UK increase ends up almost matching the Australian one, and the EU and Australia end up completely different in USD. Canada clearly got the best deal out of all of this though no matter what way you view the data. XD

It's probably too late in the life cycle of the Switch for Nintendo to follow suit at all, but I wonder if Microsoft will do anything like this for the Series S|X or leave the prices alone. Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah glad I got mine in time before this increase. I'd have been disappointed if I did miss out on the original price tag. Yeah it's just £30 but that's like half a game, kinda.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah glad I got mine in time before this increase. I'd have been disappointed if I did miss out on the original price tag. Yeah it's just £30 but that's like half a game, kinda.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 26th, 2022, 11:21 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah it's just £30 but that's like half a game, kinda.
Good point.

Microsoft have stated they do not intend to increase any pricing in response to this move by Sony. I'm not surprised; their bread and butter is subscriptions to their ecosystem so if they are making any slight losses on their consoles in certain regions because of inflation they're probably making it back elsewhere.

I did like the one take I saw on the PS Blog that pointed out if these markets were very strong against the dollar we wouldn't see price decreases. XD

Oh, there's also a free online play weekend this weekend. I assume it's worldwide and I'm probably the only one here who could get any use out of it since I lack an active subscription.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 26th, 2022, 11:21 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah it's just £30 but that's like half a game, kinda.
Good point.

Microsoft have stated they do not intend to increase any pricing in response to this move by Sony. I'm not surprised; their bread and butter is subscriptions to their ecosystem so if they are making any slight losses on their consoles in certain regions because of inflation they're probably making it back elsewhere.

I did like the one take I saw on the PS Blog that pointed out if these markets were very strong against the dollar we wouldn't see price decreases. XD

Oh, there's also a free online play weekend this weekend. I assume it's worldwide and I'm probably the only one here who could get any use out of it since I lack an active subscription.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah that play online for free like you have PS+ this weekend is happening for UK too. Shame I don't have any real desire to play, if only it was a different weekend maybe.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah that play online for free like you have PS+ this weekend is happening for UK too. Shame I don't have any real desire to play, if only it was a different weekend maybe.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 27th, 2022, 11:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Well remember I have a UK PSN, so the alert I got about the free weekend was a UK alert but I figured it would be worldwide otherwise it's pretty pointless if you wanted to play with a friend outside the country for free for a weekend. XD

Also I didn't realize until today that the colored DualSense controllers cost $5 more than a regular one. It's not much but when they're already asking $70 it feels a bit of a piss take to ask for $5 more because it isn't white or black. Rolleyes

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 27th, 2022, 11:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Well remember I have a UK PSN, so the alert I got about the free weekend was a UK alert but I figured it would be worldwide otherwise it's pretty pointless if you wanted to play with a friend outside the country for free for a weekend. XD

Also I didn't realize until today that the colored DualSense controllers cost $5 more than a regular one. It's not much but when they're already asking $70 it feels a bit of a piss take to ask for $5 more because it isn't white or black. Rolleyes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As someone who owns the blue and purple DualSense controllers, 100% worth the extra $5.

Also I like what I see with the Edge controller. It's nice seeing Sony make an official customizable DualSense controller instead of having to pay $200+ to trust a sussy third-party. Hopefully Sony will have enough sense (heh) to keep the controller a lower price point than the third-party ones, but we'll see. If the price isn't too absurd, I'll probably pick one up.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,740 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
As someone who owns the blue and purple DualSense controllers, 100% worth the extra $5.

Also I like what I see with the Edge controller. It's nice seeing Sony make an official customizable DualSense controller instead of having to pay $200+ to trust a sussy third-party. Hopefully Sony will have enough sense (heh) to keep the controller a lower price point than the third-party ones, but we'll see. If the price isn't too absurd, I'll probably pick one up.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I doubt they'll mark it up that much. The Xbox Elite Series 2 controller is only $179 MSRP and functionally has all the same customizables.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I doubt they'll mark it up that much. The Xbox Elite Series 2 controller is only $179 MSRP and functionally has all the same customizables.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 735 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,281 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 579 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,579 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,796 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM