PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So some hands-on reviews are coming out for the Edge, and it seems the battery life of the controller is a bit lower than the normal DualSense. People are making a pretty huge fuss over it. I guess I don't get it myself, because I have multiple DualSense controllers plus a charging dock for them, so I don't run into any issues with not having a fully charged controller ready to go at any given time.

The review I saw said pretty much every aspect of the Edge is much better than the regular DualSense, except the battery life, and I guess that's enough to "ruin" the controller for a lot of people, despite everything else about the controller being rated higher?
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So some hands-on reviews are coming out for the Edge, and it seems the battery life of the controller is a bit lower than the normal DualSense. People are making a pretty huge fuss over it. I guess I don't get it myself, because I have multiple DualSense controllers plus a charging dock for them, so I don't run into any issues with not having a fully charged controller ready to go at any given time.

The review I saw said pretty much every aspect of the Edge is much better than the regular DualSense, except the battery life, and I guess that's enough to "ruin" the controller for a lot of people, despite everything else about the controller being rated higher?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Did any of those reviews say how much lower the battery life actually is? For it to be a deal-breaker for people makes it sound like it's 4+ hours less. I wonder if it just uses the same battery as a regular DualSense but it runs out faster because of all the extra features the Edge has that would consume more battery. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Did any of those reviews say how much lower the battery life actually is? For it to be a deal-breaker for people makes it sound like it's 4+ hours less. I wonder if it just uses the same battery as a regular DualSense but it runs out faster because of all the extra features the Edge has that would consume more battery. Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's what the reviews are saying. Due to the extra features of the Edge, it runs out of battery faster.

I haven't seen anything that says how fast the controller runs out of battery, just that they say the battery life is "moderately shorter" than that of the normal DualSense.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's what the reviews are saying. Due to the extra features of the Edge, it runs out of battery faster.

I haven't seen anything that says how fast the controller runs out of battery, just that they say the battery life is "moderately shorter" than that of the normal DualSense.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I forget, are all the extra features of the Edge always enabled, or can they be toggled by the player or game? Just wondering if maybe turning off features you don't care about or don't need for a particular game would stop them from using up extra battery. Hmm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I forget, are all the extra features of the Edge always enabled, or can they be toggled by the player or game? Just wondering if maybe turning off features you don't care about or don't need for a particular game would stop them from using up extra battery. Hmm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Man, I've really been sitting on the fence on whether or not I want to pre-order an Edge. On one hand, I really want to get it and see what it's all about. On the other hand though, I'm worried they're going to announce a black version of it, or one of the other color variants, right after they release the default white one. It's no secret that I'm okay with buying up multiple controllers (evident by my like 12 or 13 PS4 controllers), but when the controller is $200, I'm not so sure I'm willing to buy multiple colors of it, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Man, I've really been sitting on the fence on whether or not I want to pre-order an Edge. On one hand, I really want to get it and see what it's all about. On the other hand though, I'm worried they're going to announce a black version of it, or one of the other color variants, right after they release the default white one. It's no secret that I'm okay with buying up multiple controllers (evident by my like 12 or 13 PS4 controllers), but when the controller is $200, I'm not so sure I'm willing to buy multiple colors of it, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If I were you I'd be leaning more towards waiting, since along with the potential for more colours I'd also be curious to make sure the controller has no glaring problems out of the gate, particularly when it comes to stick drift that seems to plague every controller nowadays because apparently all the parts come from the same source which has no incentive to do better if the choice is them or nothing for all the companies who want controller pieces off of them.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If I were you I'd be leaning more towards waiting, since along with the potential for more colours I'd also be curious to make sure the controller has no glaring problems out of the gate, particularly when it comes to stick drift that seems to plague every controller nowadays because apparently all the parts come from the same source which has no incentive to do better if the choice is them or nothing for all the companies who want controller pieces off of them.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That'd be the smart thing to do, but I'm a very impulsive buyer and I love new, shiny tech, haha. I did find a review video of someone who got some early hands-on time with the DualSense and they had very positive things to say about it, so that's a plus. I just wish Sony would just come out and say whether or not they plan to make additional colors of the controller or if they're only making one due to the cost of it. Honestly would probably be the smart thing to do, because you're just going to piss everyone off by releasing multiple colors of a $200 controller, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That'd be the smart thing to do, but I'm a very impulsive buyer and I love new, shiny tech, haha. I did find a review video of someone who got some early hands-on time with the DualSense and they had very positive things to say about it, so that's a plus. I just wish Sony would just come out and say whether or not they plan to make additional colors of the controller or if they're only making one due to the cost of it. Honestly would probably be the smart thing to do, because you're just going to piss everyone off by releasing multiple colors of a $200 controller, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I read IGN's review about the DualSense Edge controller and although I doubt I'll want to get one, it seems that the only downside the controller has is the battery life averages about 5 hours. IGN's reviewer suspects stick drift could be a thing due to the sticks using similar stuff as a regular DualSense, but replacement sticks are incredibly cheap at only $20 so at least if it does happen this is probably one of the better controllers it could happen to since you won't need to replace or take apart an entire controller to fix the problem.
As for extra colours, seeing the amount of black on it makes me feel like changing the colour isn't really going to add much compared to a regular DualSense. Someone mocked up some alternate colours for it and there's just something about the lack of colour in the middle that makes them fall flat for me. Eh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I read IGN's review about the DualSense Edge controller and although I doubt I'll want to get one, it seems that the only downside the controller has is the battery life averages about 5 hours. IGN's reviewer suspects stick drift could be a thing due to the sticks using similar stuff as a regular DualSense, but replacement sticks are incredibly cheap at only $20 so at least if it does happen this is probably one of the better controllers it could happen to since you won't need to replace or take apart an entire controller to fix the problem.
As for extra colours, seeing the amount of black on it makes me feel like changing the colour isn't really going to add much compared to a regular DualSense. Someone mocked up some alternate colours for it and there's just something about the lack of colour in the middle that makes them fall flat for me. Eh
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So far I haven't had any stick drift on any of my DualSense controllers. Not even the original model that came with my PS5. I haven't had stick drift on my Switch joycons either, so I don't really know what people do to their controllers to cause that issue to occur.

I might still pick up an Edge though just for the extra functionality of it. I don't really know what I'd use it for right now, but it could prove useful at some point, haha. I think I'll go ahead and sit on it a bit though and just wait and see what they do, because knowing my luck I'd just be like, "alright, I'm just going to cave and get it" and then the next day Sony is like, "Hey ya'll here's a black/blue/purple variant of the Edge!"
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So far I haven't had any stick drift on any of my DualSense controllers. Not even the original model that came with my PS5. I haven't had stick drift on my Switch joycons either, so I don't really know what people do to their controllers to cause that issue to occur.

I might still pick up an Edge though just for the extra functionality of it. I don't really know what I'd use it for right now, but it could prove useful at some point, haha. I think I'll go ahead and sit on it a bit though and just wait and see what they do, because knowing my luck I'd just be like, "alright, I'm just going to cave and get it" and then the next day Sony is like, "Hey ya'll here's a black/blue/purple variant of the Edge!"
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 26th, 2023, 04:11 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I haven't had stick drift on my Switch joycons either, so I don't really know what people do to their controllers to cause that issue to occur.
Lucky, I've had a set of joy-con and a pro controller both get stick drift. I forget what the exact cause was for those instances though; @ShiraNoMai might know since she bought a kit that she used to take the controllers apart to fix them up. Thinking of it she also took apart one of my DualShock 4 controllers but I can't remember if that was to try and fix stick drift or for some other reason. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 26th, 2023, 04:11 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I haven't had stick drift on my Switch joycons either, so I don't really know what people do to their controllers to cause that issue to occur.
Lucky, I've had a set of joy-con and a pro controller both get stick drift. I forget what the exact cause was for those instances though; @ShiraNoMai might know since she bought a kit that she used to take the controllers apart to fix them up. Thinking of it she also took apart one of my DualShock 4 controllers but I can't remember if that was to try and fix stick drift or for some other reason. Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I took them all apart to clean them. The drift was caused by the contacts getting dirty on the sticks cuz once I cleaned them, they acted as if they never had drift. I knew your DS4 controllers were bound to be dirty so I opened that one up to clean as well. Sadly, they are a nightmare to reattach and upon closing it, I seem to have unconnected the touchpad on that controller. Sad
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I took them all apart to clean them. The drift was caused by the contacts getting dirty on the sticks cuz once I cleaned them, they acted as if they never had drift. I knew your DS4 controllers were bound to be dirty so I opened that one up to clean as well. Sadly, they are a nightmare to reattach and upon closing it, I seem to have unconnected the touchpad on that controller. Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 28th, 2023, 11:50 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Was the DS4 drifting though or did you just take it apart to clean as a preventative measure due to dirt being the cause of drift on the Switch controllers? I can't remember. x.x

Also I wouldn't say the Switch controllers were much better at putting back together. We ended up with one joy-con that won't function without being connected to the Switch physically and there is absolutely something loose rattling around in the Pro controller. Doh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 28th, 2023, 11:50 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Was the DS4 drifting though or did you just take it apart to clean as a preventative measure due to dirt being the cause of drift on the Switch controllers? I can't remember. x.x

Also I wouldn't say the Switch controllers were much better at putting back together. We ended up with one joy-con that won't function without being connected to the Switch physically and there is absolutely something loose rattling around in the Pro controller. Doh
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So the Dual Sense Edge seems to be getting pretty rave reviews by a large majority of content creators, which is nice to see. The main negatives I see them talk about with the controller is that there is only two back buttons instead of four and the battery life, but other than that everyone seems to love the controller so far.

Definitely makes it harder to resist picking one up, but I just forked over $200 for a new keyboard, so I think I'll have to wait on getting an Edge a little longer, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So the Dual Sense Edge seems to be getting pretty rave reviews by a large majority of content creators, which is nice to see. The main negatives I see them talk about with the controller is that there is only two back buttons instead of four and the battery life, but other than that everyone seems to love the controller so far.

Definitely makes it harder to resist picking one up, but I just forked over $200 for a new keyboard, so I think I'll have to wait on getting an Edge a little longer, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Has anyone here with a PS5 had troubles updating their controller to the latest software update (0307)? I've tried it with my PS5 multiple times with various cables and every time it fails, and I just found out you can update the controllers via a connection to your PC but I literally just tried it and it also failed.

I don't get what the heck the problem is and all I see is "Try another wire Ayaya " but no wire I try seems to make a difference and I was curious if I'm just having really bad luck or if anyone else is having trouble too. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Has anyone here with a PS5 had troubles updating their controller to the latest software update (0307)? I've tried it with my PS5 multiple times with various cables and every time it fails, and I just found out you can update the controllers via a connection to your PC but I literally just tried it and it also failed.

I don't get what the heck the problem is and all I see is "Try another wire Ayaya " but no wire I try seems to make a difference and I was curious if I'm just having really bad luck or if anyone else is having trouble too. Errm
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
0307? My DualSense controllers are up to date with 0356.

I had no issues with my controllers updating the last time though. The controllers can update wirelessly now though, so maybe try that and see if it goes through?

How long has it been since you updated it? I looked it up and update 0307 was back in September of 2022, so I wonder if the system is having trouble updating the controller because it's so far behind. Or is this a new system/controller and the very first time you're trying to update them?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
0307? My DualSense controllers are up to date with 0356.

I had no issues with my controllers updating the last time though. The controllers can update wirelessly now though, so maybe try that and see if it goes through?

How long has it been since you updated it? I looked it up and update 0307 was back in September of 2022, so I wonder if the system is having trouble updating the controller because it's so far behind. Or is this a new system/controller and the very first time you're trying to update them?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 686 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,010 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,513 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,736 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM