PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So according to reports, Sony has shifted most of its first party development to the PlayStation 5. Now as always, console rumours are always full of potentially crazy things, but it feels likely given that Sony is skipping E3 and doesn't really have many big titles left to come from their first party developers that we know about. If they have anything new, I doubt there's much of it for PS4 otherwise they would maybe have enough content from first and third parties to do an E3 (Xbox manage to do it despite having fewer first party studios than Sony).

Do you think it's likely that development has shifted over to the PS5 for most of Sony's developers? What would you need the console to offer, hardware or software wise, to consider buying one within its first year of launch?

To give my two cents on the second question, I want backwards compatibility. I know there are articles out there saying Digital Foundry has claimed it will happen based on logical reasoning, but it needs it and the ability to carry my saves over via the cloud so I don't have the games but none of the saves (at which point the backwards compatibility is redundant to me). I'd also like it because it means we won't be subjected to another run of current gen games being re-released on next gen systems for easy cash in exchange for generally prettier graphics and frame rates. I'd rather see patches go out to enhance them like how Pro and One X games get, but obviously better than those since I expect the PS5 to be better than a Pro or a One X.

Also, letting it run PS4 games but with enhancements means you can make some easy bundles for launch. Slap TLoU2 in with it like they did with PS4's and TLoU: Remastered. If they'd make a PS4 bundle of it then a PS5 one would sell too, especially if that game happened to come out within a year of PS5's launch.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So according to reports, Sony has shifted most of its first party development to the PlayStation 5. Now as always, console rumours are always full of potentially crazy things, but it feels likely given that Sony is skipping E3 and doesn't really have many big titles left to come from their first party developers that we know about. If they have anything new, I doubt there's much of it for PS4 otherwise they would maybe have enough content from first and third parties to do an E3 (Xbox manage to do it despite having fewer first party studios than Sony).

Do you think it's likely that development has shifted over to the PS5 for most of Sony's developers? What would you need the console to offer, hardware or software wise, to consider buying one within its first year of launch?

To give my two cents on the second question, I want backwards compatibility. I know there are articles out there saying Digital Foundry has claimed it will happen based on logical reasoning, but it needs it and the ability to carry my saves over via the cloud so I don't have the games but none of the saves (at which point the backwards compatibility is redundant to me). I'd also like it because it means we won't be subjected to another run of current gen games being re-released on next gen systems for easy cash in exchange for generally prettier graphics and frame rates. I'd rather see patches go out to enhance them like how Pro and One X games get, but obviously better than those since I expect the PS5 to be better than a Pro or a One X.

Also, letting it run PS4 games but with enhancements means you can make some easy bundles for launch. Slap TLoU2 in with it like they did with PS4's and TLoU: Remastered. If they'd make a PS4 bundle of it then a PS5 one would sell too, especially if that game happened to come out within a year of PS5's launch.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
Well one thing’s for sure it won’t have such a crappy CPU which was always its bottleneck. Hopefully it has a good bump in Ram as well.

For me it’s really all about the games and I feel that’s always going to be the case. Anything else is just the frosting imo. I’ll get it because I know they’ll deliver a system it’s great 3rd party support and great exclusives.

This is just a wish but I hope they double down on Remote Play and offer it on more devices so everyone can use it. Remote Play makes it so you can play anywhere there’s WiFi it’s an amazing feature that isn’t really fully fleshed out. It’s great on my W10 laptop though.

I won’t need backwards compatibility but it’d be nice and pretty stupid of them if they don’t offer it. We’re in an age where not carrying over games and services doesn’t make sense due to digital. Honestly I only used it like a handful of times on the PS2 when I got it and then the novelty wore off but options are best for everyone.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
Well one thing’s for sure it won’t have such a crappy CPU which was always its bottleneck. Hopefully it has a good bump in Ram as well.

For me it’s really all about the games and I feel that’s always going to be the case. Anything else is just the frosting imo. I’ll get it because I know they’ll deliver a system it’s great 3rd party support and great exclusives.

This is just a wish but I hope they double down on Remote Play and offer it on more devices so everyone can use it. Remote Play makes it so you can play anywhere there’s WiFi it’s an amazing feature that isn’t really fully fleshed out. It’s great on my W10 laptop though.

I won’t need backwards compatibility but it’d be nice and pretty stupid of them if they don’t offer it. We’re in an age where not carrying over games and services doesn’t make sense due to digital. Honestly I only used it like a handful of times on the PS2 when I got it and then the novelty wore off but options are best for everyone.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I've read around that the price point for the PS5 is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of $500, which is half of a thou. O_o" I will want to get the PS5 due to exclusives but I might have to wait a year to get it like I did when the PS3 released since I had to save up to get it. Meh
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I've read around that the price point for the PS5 is going to be somewhere in the ballpark of $500, which is half of a thou. O_o" I will want to get the PS5 due to exclusives but I might have to wait a year to get it like I did when the PS3 released since I had to save up to get it. Meh
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I would like to see backwards compatibility for PS5. Not having any properly for PS3 and PS4 has been a bit of a let down, although I didn't mind too much. It's just that if I had a PS5 in my room right now, one or both my PS3 and PS4 would be packed away due to space. OK, that's not the only reason, but I can't see myself getting as many games as I have for PS4, so wouldn't mind not having to go back to my PS4 to play them. Cloud saves is the way to go indeed.

Won't be the main cause for concern if I get the console or not. I'm not ready for a PS5 yet really, but I'll be waiting around for what kind games will be available for a time. I can't think of anything that'll have me on a day one/year one release purchase.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I would like to see backwards compatibility for PS5. Not having any properly for PS3 and PS4 has been a bit of a let down, although I didn't mind too much. It's just that if I had a PS5 in my room right now, one or both my PS3 and PS4 would be packed away due to space. OK, that's not the only reason, but I can't see myself getting as many games as I have for PS4, so wouldn't mind not having to go back to my PS4 to play them. Cloud saves is the way to go indeed.

Won't be the main cause for concern if I get the console or not. I'm not ready for a PS5 yet really, but I'll be waiting around for what kind games will be available for a time. I can't think of anything that'll have me on a day one/year one release purchase.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 5th, 2019, 11:30 PM)queenzelda Wrote:

I’ve seen this rumor. I just don’t know if I believe it. Ever since the PS3 Sony has been price conscious. PS Vita, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PSVR have all been launched with a balance between performance and budget.  

Only way I could see $499 is if they’re gunning for power to make it a big leap from the One X but I don’t see that either. I personally think it will be $399.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 5th, 2019, 11:30 PM)queenzelda Wrote:

I’ve seen this rumor. I just don’t know if I believe it. Ever since the PS3 Sony has been price conscious. PS Vita, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PSVR have all been launched with a balance between performance and budget.  

Only way I could see $499 is if they’re gunning for power to make it a big leap from the One X but I don’t see that either. I personally think it will be $399.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For $500 I'd want the rumour that the console might be backwards compatible with every existing PlayStation home console to be true. I still wouldn't pay $500 for that but I'd want something more than just power for such a cost on day one.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For $500 I'd want the rumour that the console might be backwards compatible with every existing PlayStation home console to be true. I still wouldn't pay $500 for that but I'd want something more than just power for such a cost on day one.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
When it comes down to a potential PS4 I'm just kinda wondering how much more can they push the graphics? The PS4 already is capable of very beautiful graphics, but I mean it will allow them to make bigger games and so on, but graphic wise I'm kinda curious how much more can they push them?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
When it comes down to a potential PS4 I'm just kinda wondering how much more can they push the graphics? The PS4 already is capable of very beautiful graphics, but I mean it will allow them to make bigger games and so on, but graphic wise I'm kinda curious how much more can they push them?
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I
(Feb 6th, 2019, 12:47 AM)Moonface Wrote:

I think that’s just wishful thinking rather than rumor. I can see it playing PS4 games but PS3? Also if it plays PS1 games I doubt they’d have put effort to release a PS Classic unless it’s just a stop gap. Eh

$500 is steep but you wouldn’t pay that day 1 if they had some great launch titles? It’s all about software in the end imo. Depending on what year it launches I could see Horizon 2 as a launch title.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
I
(Feb 6th, 2019, 12:47 AM)Moonface Wrote:

I think that’s just wishful thinking rather than rumor. I can see it playing PS4 games but PS3? Also if it plays PS1 games I doubt they’d have put effort to release a PS Classic unless it’s just a stop gap. Eh

$500 is steep but you wouldn’t pay that day 1 if they had some great launch titles? It’s all about software in the end imo. Depending on what year it launches I could see Horizon 2 as a launch title.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 6th, 2019, 02:33 AM)Metallix Wrote:
I paid launch day price for a PS3 and regret doing it. Having a decent launch lineup doesn't mean there won't be a software drought following it (Wii U had a good amount of launch titles but suffered after it) and by the time a PS5 could get a decent library and stream of games coming in it'll have probably been out long enough to see a price drop. I just don't have a problem with waiting a year or so to get a console at a better price and with a bigger library behind it, plus launch systems tend to be the ones with the most problems to iron out in future productions.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I paid launch day price for a PS3 and regret doing it. Having a decent launch lineup doesn't mean there won't be a software drought following it (Wii U had a good amount of launch titles but suffered after it) and by the time a PS5 could get a decent library and stream of games coming in it'll have probably been out long enough to see a price drop. I just don't have a problem with waiting a year or so to get a console at a better price and with a bigger library behind it, plus launch systems tend to be the ones with the most problems to iron out in future productions.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 6th, 2019, 03:03 AM)Moonface Wrote:

But you got the best version on the PS3. Wink Well that makes sense. It usually takes 2 years before everything’s firing. Even the Switch has had some bad droughts. At $500 I doubt I’ll get it right away as well but maybe at $400.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 6th, 2019, 03:03 AM)Moonface Wrote:

But you got the best version on the PS3. Wink Well that makes sense. It usually takes 2 years before everything’s firing. Even the Switch has had some bad droughts. At $500 I doubt I’ll get it right away as well but maybe at $400.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Feb 6th, 2019, 12:54 AM)Yuri Wrote:

From the rumors flying around, we could be looking at the PS5 possibly pushing 8k.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 

From the rumors flying around, we could be looking at the PS5 possibly pushing 8k.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 8th, 2019, 04:47 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

That would absolutely be the worst even on a theoretical Pro model 3 years later. 8K takes an astronomical amount of power to render and games wouldn’t have that much better graphical effects because most of the power is rendering resolution. I want graphics to improve not just resolution. Even the Xbox One X can’t do Native 4K on every game.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
(Feb 8th, 2019, 04:47 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

That would absolutely be the worst even on a theoretical Pro model 3 years later. 8K takes an astronomical amount of power to render and games wouldn’t have that much better graphical effects because most of the power is rendering resolution. I want graphics to improve not just resolution. Even the Xbox One X can’t do Native 4K on every game.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
8K wouldn't be worth pushing. Most people would only be starting to get 4K TV's and I doubt 8K TV's are going to be cheap enough for a fair while for more PS5 owners than not buying them.

I'd rather just see standard 4K and more processing power dedicated to graphical detail, frame rate, and AI mechanics. A sharper picture isn't as much of an upgrade as anything I just mentioned.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
8K wouldn't be worth pushing. Most people would only be starting to get 4K TV's and I doubt 8K TV's are going to be cheap enough for a fair while for more PS5 owners than not buying them.

I'd rather just see standard 4K and more processing power dedicated to graphical detail, frame rate, and AI mechanics. A sharper picture isn't as much of an upgrade as anything I just mentioned.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Unless Sony stops their recent crusade against Japanese games and developers, I don't care what they do with a PS5. Once they moved their gaming HQ to California, their policies went down the shitter. I don't know if maybe it's the influence of the rampant millenials/liberals/Social Justice Warriors (or whatever else you want to call them -- I prefer the term "retards" myself) that infest California, but good god.

Apparently Sony decided they wanted to one-up Nintendo of the 90s on who could be the biggest prudes the gaming world has ever seen. You know things have gone to shit when Sony is forcing Japanese developers to pointlessly censor games while Nintendo is welcoming the same games with open arms on the Switch with no censorship or alterations.

If it's getting this bad already, when it's only been a couple of years, I fear to think of what games on PlayStation will be like by the time a PS4 rolls around. PlayStation is becoming the new Xbox (only want to pander to the western world, Nintendo is becoming the new PlayStation (open to everything), and Xbox is becoming the new Sega (on the verge of being RIP).
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Unless Sony stops their recent crusade against Japanese games and developers, I don't care what they do with a PS5. Once they moved their gaming HQ to California, their policies went down the shitter. I don't know if maybe it's the influence of the rampant millenials/liberals/Social Justice Warriors (or whatever else you want to call them -- I prefer the term "retards" myself) that infest California, but good god.

Apparently Sony decided they wanted to one-up Nintendo of the 90s on who could be the biggest prudes the gaming world has ever seen. You know things have gone to shit when Sony is forcing Japanese developers to pointlessly censor games while Nintendo is welcoming the same games with open arms on the Switch with no censorship or alterations.

If it's getting this bad already, when it's only been a couple of years, I fear to think of what games on PlayStation will be like by the time a PS4 rolls around. PlayStation is becoming the new Xbox (only want to pander to the western world, Nintendo is becoming the new PlayStation (open to everything), and Xbox is becoming the new Sega (on the verge of being RIP).
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
^ Nah I don’t see it. They still produce Japanese games in house and pretty much all 3rd party Japanese games still release on the system including niche ones. I don’t like the censorship though but they’re pandering to that SJW crowd I guess.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
^ Nah I don’t see it. They still produce Japanese games in house and pretty much all 3rd party Japanese games still release on the system including niche ones. I don’t like the censorship though but they’re pandering to that SJW crowd I guess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 688 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,019 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,514 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,736 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM