PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
That loading is really impressive!! Sure PS5 open world games won’t be that quick because they’ll be bigger in size but I bet every corridor shooter and dungeon crawler will have no load times at all.

But what was really impressive was just how fast they moved through the level with no slowdown or pop in. PS4 had whole buildings pop in and froze every few seconds.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
That loading is really impressive!! Sure PS5 open world games won’t be that quick because they’ll be bigger in size but I bet every corridor shooter and dungeon crawler will have no load times at all.

But what was really impressive was just how fast they moved through the level with no slowdown or pop in. PS4 had whole buildings pop in and froze every few seconds.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 25th, 2019, 12:08 AM)Metallix Wrote:
Sure PS5 open world games won’t be that quick because they’ll be bigger in size but I bet every corridor shooter and dungeon crawler will have no load times at all.
I expect PS5 games overall will still load faster than any PS4 game will, because even though they'll be bigger, it would probably take a significant amount of content being loaded to make an SSD take longer than a PS4 HDD.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 25th, 2019, 12:08 AM)Metallix Wrote:
Sure PS5 open world games won’t be that quick because they’ll be bigger in size but I bet every corridor shooter and dungeon crawler will have no load times at all.
I expect PS5 games overall will still load faster than any PS4 game will, because even though they'll be bigger, it would probably take a significant amount of content being loaded to make an SSD take longer than a PS4 HDD.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Apparently this is what the PS5 dev kits are looking like:

[Image: nieuwe-console.jpg]

I don't get why they need to make some crazy shape for a dev kit. Surely just slap the shit you plan to have in a PS5 into whatever basic rectangular box it'll fit into and worry about the visual aspects afterwards; it's not like the appearance matters at all for development purposes. This comes off more as a concept piece for a design for the retail version, considering the emphasis on airflow within a compact design. Not sure I'd like to have something exactly like this on my entertainment set up, but I can at least appreciate the approach to keeping the system cool without needing to make it bigger to accommodate.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Apparently this is what the PS5 dev kits are looking like:

[Image: nieuwe-console.jpg]

I don't get why they need to make some crazy shape for a dev kit. Surely just slap the shit you plan to have in a PS5 into whatever basic rectangular box it'll fit into and worry about the visual aspects afterwards; it's not like the appearance matters at all for development purposes. This comes off more as a concept piece for a design for the retail version, considering the emphasis on airflow within a compact design. Not sure I'd like to have something exactly like this on my entertainment set up, but I can at least appreciate the approach to keeping the system cool without needing to make it bigger to accommodate.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Some youtubers who have reported on the PS5 dev kits; think it's just how it looks for right now & will probably fix the way it looks when it's closer to launch.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Some youtubers who have reported on the PS5 dev kits; think it's just how it looks for right now & will probably fix the way it looks when it's closer to launch.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Reminds me of the ol' Boomerang design of the DS3. That's certainly going to change before launch. There's like zero practical purpose to any of that design XD
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Reminds me of the ol' Boomerang design of the DS3. That's certainly going to change before launch. There's like zero practical purpose to any of that design XD
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
the indent in the center is for cups.

they built a cup holder into their system. fucking genius
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
the indent in the center is for cups.

they built a cup holder into their system. fucking genius
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Yes! I can finally have a practical cup holder when I'm gaming! This is my dream come true!
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Yes! I can finally have a practical cup holder when I'm gaming! This is my dream come true!
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
LetsGoDigitaal rendered what the leeked PS5 would look like;
[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-1.jpg]

[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-4.jpg]

[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-3.jpg]

source

I thought the renders looked much better then just the sketch.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
LetsGoDigitaal rendered what the leeked PS5 would look like;
[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-1.jpg]

[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-4.jpg]

[Image: sony-ps5-dev-kit-renders-patent-3.jpg]

source

I thought the renders looked much better then just the sketch.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The render looks a lot nicer than just drawing, but it does make me wonder is that Blu Ray drive or is that where you stick some sorta SDD drive? Eh

PS: I don't plan to go digital Tongue
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
The render looks a lot nicer than just drawing, but it does make me wonder is that Blu Ray drive or is that where you stick some sorta SDD drive? Eh

queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Aug 24th, 2019, 12:33 AM)Yuri Wrote:
I don't either; it's why I have 0 plans to get into Stadia. xD

Also; according to a lot of youtubers & some news sites; the render is the actual deal of what the PS5 dev-kit looks like.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
(Aug 24th, 2019, 12:33 AM)Yuri Wrote:
I don't either; it's why I have 0 plans to get into Stadia. xD

Also; according to a lot of youtubers & some news sites; the render is the actual deal of what the PS5 dev-kit looks like.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The retail version of the PS5 most likely will not resemble this at all. 99.99% of the time the dev kit looks entirely different from the final product. I'd be very concerned about Sony if they decided to put something that horrendous on the market after how nice and sleek the PS4 was.

That definitely looks like something Microsoft would shit out and put on the market though.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
The retail version of the PS5 most likely will not resemble this at all. 99.99% of the time the dev kit looks entirely different from the final product. I'd be very concerned about Sony if they decided to put something that horrendous on the market after how nice and sleek the PS4 was.

That definitely looks like something Microsoft would shit out and put on the market though.
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah, I'm not sure about that design, or if it'll indeed be the final design. Hopefully just a prototype/kit to test the waters. Doesn't look great to me, and don't like the idea of going only digital. Even if it's a change from disc to SSD cards, I suppose I'll be OK with that. Better than non-physical at least. OK, the SSD drive might be for only extra memory space, which'll suck as that'll be confirmation on Sony going digital only. Just going to wait and see, eh.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Online
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,021 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah, I'm not sure about that design, or if it'll indeed be the final design. Hopefully just a prototype/kit to test the waters. Doesn't look great to me, and don't like the idea of going only digital. Even if it's a change from disc to SSD cards, I suppose I'll be OK with that. Better than non-physical at least. OK, the SSD drive might be for only extra memory space, which'll suck as that'll be confirmation on Sony going digital only. Just going to wait and see, eh.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Well considering last year Xbox fucked up by almost going purely digital I doubt either of them is going to try to embrace it unless Stadia turns out to be successful and I'm honestly really hoping it isn't because I don't want to see consoles push toward digital only like with the PC market.

I actually wonder if the PS5 will end up being smaller than the PS4 or about the same size? I'm kind of expecting the PS5 final design to be some sorta black box that can sit either standing up or laying down. I'm also hoping they'll continue doing the Playstation remote play that they got going because that is just so nice being able to play my PS4 on my PC.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Well considering last year Xbox fucked up by almost going purely digital I doubt either of them is going to try to embrace it unless Stadia turns out to be successful and I'm honestly really hoping it isn't because I don't want to see consoles push toward digital only like with the PC market.

I actually wonder if the PS5 will end up being smaller than the PS4 or about the same size? I'm kind of expecting the PS5 final design to be some sorta black box that can sit either standing up or laying down. I'm also hoping they'll continue doing the Playstation remote play that they got going because that is just so nice being able to play my PS4 on my PC.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I expect the lack of a disc drive is because developers don't need one. They're just running software on the system, and certainly wouldn't be printing that onto discs throughout development to keep testing it. I'm still surprised this would be what the dev kit is like though just because I still don't see a need to make something with that amount of work put into the exterior design. Unless this is a way for Sony to see how well the system can keep cool when contained inside what looks to be a small unit so they have something to work from while putting together a retail design.

That artist render is nice, but I still would want something a little less garish for my entertainment unit. I want something simple; not something that resembles half of an Alienware knock off attempt of an original Xbox system.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I expect the lack of a disc drive is because developers don't need one. They're just running software on the system, and certainly wouldn't be printing that onto discs throughout development to keep testing it. I'm still surprised this would be what the dev kit is like though just because I still don't see a need to make something with that amount of work put into the exterior design. Unless this is a way for Sony to see how well the system can keep cool when contained inside what looks to be a small unit so they have something to work from while putting together a retail design.

That artist render is nice, but I still would want something a little less garish for my entertainment unit. I want something simple; not something that resembles half of an Alienware knock off attempt of an original Xbox system.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020
Sony has confirmed today that their next generation console will launch in Holiday 2020, and to the surprise of no one, will be called the PlayStation 5.

No new details about the system were shared, but Sony did divulge what new features will be implemented in the controller. It will feature haptic feedback instead of the rumble feature that's been in place for PlayStation controllers since the fifth generation of consoles, and the L2/R2 triggers can now be programmed to provide resistance to the player to better simulate drawing a bow or pulling a trigger.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PlayStation 5 Launches Holiday 2020
Sony has confirmed today that their next generation console will launch in Holiday 2020, and to the surprise of no one, will be called the PlayStation 5.

No new details about the system were shared, but Sony did divulge what new features will be implemented in the controller. It will feature haptic feedback instead of the rumble feature that's been in place for PlayStation controllers since the fifth generation of consoles, and the L2/R2 triggers can now be programmed to provide resistance to the player to better simulate drawing a bow or pulling a trigger.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 687 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,014 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 550 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,513 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,736 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM